F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" by Egilman - Minicraft/Hasegawa - 1/32nd Scale

Well a small update.....

Figured I would get the wing tanks and live tail ready for finishing .... they are smaller parts and I can practice/perfect waxing them a lot easier than the entire fuselage....

First step is trimming the fins for the tanks.....

Now this is a Japanese kit, so I am assuming that their pattern for the model is an F-104J which is a bare F-104C with a few upgrades. (license built by Mitsubishi with the first few modified by Lockheed)

this is the reason you have some discreptancies from a real USAF F-104C. little things like the Euro spoked wheels, the longer inner fin in the wing tanks little things like that.... To make a USAF "C" model zipper one needs to trim the horizontal tank fins so they are equal from side to side cause the USAF never mounted the foreign tanks....

Kit fins... Then the modified fins....

DCP_2747.JPG.e44df022d326c2cb22b59e23fe0036f6.JPGDCP_2752.JPG.80959d885081aaf0b3e950bdb47dba1f.JPG

Sorry for the fuzzy pic but you get the idea. the cut fins are not sanded smooth yet....

I also went ahead and glued the two stabilizer parts together.....

DCP_2755.JPG.1927c20de17189dbc2116f75914dea0b.JPG

DCP_2756.JPG.593a9ff160ea552ca107dbbb3757729e.JPG

Then gave a test fit to the fuselage... (just to make sure)

DCP_2754.JPG.c3b2bf54c173b95ea7ca20506c6cfe99.JPG

Like I said earlier, I'm probably going to work up the tanks and stabilizer first as they are lots smaller parts and perfect the technique of metalizing it with RnB so when I do go and do it I will hopefully have enough experience so I don't botch it up this time....

Onwards...

EG

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Well another update...

The method I used in my experiment with this wax on the disposable turret top was to brush it on and rub it in..., that is not the way to do it... you can get to where you brush on wax too long and the wax hardens before you can polish it... It is a true hard shell, rub on wax.... put a very small dab on your finger or soft cloth and rub it on/in.... and then buff it while it is still wet... 

It will harden while buffing into a pretty nice shine... still looking for the mirror effect, but I am getting a metal finish that surprisingly looks like aluminum.....

Also this is kinda a test, I put it on over Tamiya grey primer so I don't know if I'm getting the deepest color effect I can get, but it does look good..

Primered...

DCP_2757.JPG.ed715e0e63873334072c4ef3c23148ec.JPG

First coat on and buffed...

DCP_2758.JPG.0dbc2f212400af70246e81e6d3f7b6f4.JPG

It does have that sheet aluminum look to it.....

DCP_2759.JPG.2430afcdec1b9b6acd780ea6ce89c554.JPG

Reflective, but not polished....

I went and remounted them on the fuselage

DCP_2760.JPG.fdb4f0cd381df34164c2132f5f1b4401.JPG

DCP_2761.JPG.1d77c67c50562571c67dce315f710a19.JPG

They do look the part, just wish there was a touch more reflectiveness to them.. maybe after it is almost done, decaled and clear coated the reflectiveness will come.....

DCP_2762.JPG.9ae153a85bd2b4b6c818311f658a28dd.JPG

I'll have to get them outside in the sunshine and see what they look like... Natural light always presents a better image...

Anyway, this is where I'm at, I think I've got the idea on how to put this on, I'll stick with the primer grey undercoat for this one cause there are already too many coats of paint on this and I'm beginning to lose some of the fine details to paint.....

But the next one will be over a semi-gloss black coat see if it makes a difference like it does with the alclad products...

Tomorrow I start on the fuselage again...

EG

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Looks great EG, I'm glad you found the method of doing bare metal you were looking for! I like the finish on the tanks. 👍😁

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Looks fantastic EG - looking forward to seeing how it comes out on the full model!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

5 hours ago, Edwardkenway said:

Looks great EG, I'm glad you found the method of doing bare metal you were looking for! I like the finish on the tanks. 👍😁

Thank Ed.....

I'm happy with it, it does look like metal and goes down thin enough to not lose any details.  Very hard shelled when it dries and it is fingersafe, no fingerprints after it is dry.... 

My first time using it and I think it came out well for what little experience I have with the product.... about 98% of the finish I was looking for.... the more I use it, the better I'll get at it...

Reserving final judgement for when I get the fuselage done, but I already know it's going in my toolbox of must have products..... and this product has been around since the '60's and almost no one in modeling knows about it! Amazing to me....

Thanks for commenting my friend... more on this to come....

EG

Quote:

2 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Looks fantastic EG - looking forward to seeing how it comes out on the full model!

Thanks Mike, yeah I'm in some serious anticipation states also, but I have to slow myself down and not get in a hurry.... 

I know enough now to know it's my go to for BMF's on aircraft..... Like everything else I'll get better results with practice/experience using it..... This is only my first one....

Quote:

Thats looking  mighty nice bro,   nice and smooth also  - keep up the great work.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

1 hour ago, Egilman said:

Thanks Mike, yeah I'm in some serious anticipation states also, but I have to slow myself down and not get in a hurry.... 

I know enough now to know it's my go to for BMF's on aircraft..... Like everything else I'll get better results with practice/experience using it..... This is only my first one....

It reminds me of Gilt Cream, which I used on some wooden magic wands that I made for my girls this past Christmas.  Imparted a great metallic finish with a lot of richness and character that I didn't think I could get using paints.  I'm looking forward to trying out gilt creams on wooden models with carvings that are gold, silver, bronze, etc.

image.png.91b1c772c354b383f540df01b97c6eb6.png

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Another wax product that does the same thing.... I think wax is the ticket as a carrier of the metal pigment, it stays liquid enough to spread thinly and allow the metal to lay down like it needs to, then dries hard, very hard to seal it in....

Great stuff...

Quote:

My care package arrived.... Decaling solutions....

DCP_2763.JPG.60657f94845dc1e04b94b151a0e244ff.JPG

DCP_2768.JPG.ea12af4908ca2fe7446010555d81304b.JPG

And a few other niceties to aid in my endeavours in scale.....

And early as well for a change.... Didn't really need the liquitape of foil adhesive but I"m sure I'll find a use for them.... was cheaper buying the full pack rather than the individual bottles... Also, this is the international pack, in which they substitute two bottles of adhesives they cannot ship overseas for a bottle each of Microsol and Microset.... PERFECT for what I need.... (I gots a pair of huge two part decals coming up in the future, I'm now well supplied)

Anyway I also took the opportunity to shoot the metalized parts out in the full sun.... 

I'll let them speak for themselves...

DCP_2764.JPG.42459891992ef9a0f0e824f1b4c1efd5.JPG

DCP_2765.JPG.b7ad31660eaa7dca641d46d63aa1ccf2.JPG

DCP_2766.JPG.de8f0904b177b4d666a192b83a6b91d4.JPG

DCP_2767.JPG.29d9805a9ca1a9227e041d231b83ec7a.JPG

Needless to say, I'm very happy with the look.... at the right angles it catches flashes that can blind you but at normal angles very seeable...

Perfect!

EG

Quote:

Glad to see you were able to make it back to happy street EG.

Nothing is as depressing as putting a lot of effort into a model just to see the final look elude all your efforts and expectations.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

You should have warned us with those pictures - I needed sunglasses to avoid the glare :)

I wasn't aware that they made all those other products.  I've liked their Micro Set and Micro Sol.  I'll have to look up the others.

Mike

Looks like you could open a small store with those MicroScale bottles, should last you a very long time. 

Finish looks great ! 

I think you "Nailed it"  with that  finish  - great stuff  bro.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

5 hours ago, lmagna said:

Glad to see you were able to make it back to happy street EG.

Nothing is as depressing as putting a lot of effort into a model just to see the final look elude all your efforts and expectations.

I hear ya brother.... I generally don't have a shelf of doom, (where models that don't come out right get put, usually before being finished) Mine usually get a long fight to the finish and when I finally say enough is enough it gets binned... I then think of another way and try again... I'm kinda stubborn that way I like to take it to the bitter end.... (and I usually win)

This one was going to be one of those, I saw it done, and decided that I was going to do it.... Hopefully I still can but yeah my emotions on this one are now quite a bit lighter....

Thanks my friend for the understanding....

Quote:

5 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

You should have warned us with those pictures - I needed sunglasses to avoid the glare :)

I wasn't aware that they made all those other products.  I've liked their Micro Set and Micro Sol.  I'll have to look up the others.

Well I sorta kinda did when I said I was going to get some outside light on the subject.... {chuckle}

They have a full range of finishing products, (mostly surrounding decals and their installation) most of them are well known..... I just wish they would expand their decal lines....

Quote:

4 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

Looks like you could open a small store with those MicroScale bottles, should last you a very long time. 

Finish looks great ! 

Thanks Jack...

I figured that since I was out of everything I might as well restock.....

And I think I'm a convert on Rub n Buff.... {chuckle} It's amazingly easy to do a very good BMF with it...

Quote:

4 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

I think you "Nailed it"  with that  finish  - great stuff  bro.

OC.

Thank you OC, Not sure yet "Nailed it" is the term, but I'm close...

Quote:

1 hour ago, Canute said:

Nice reflectivity, EG.

Thanks Ken, I'm hoping it comes out at least as well on the fuselage after all the abuse it's taken...

Quote:

Another update.... 

Masking, the (now) old fashioned way....

Most everyone who has built model airplanes is familiar with painting canopies The original way was to directly paint them. But that was hit or miss as some manufacturers would cut canopy molds with generous ribbing which allowed you to flow thinned paint in between the ribs that outlined the glass, wasn't accurate but got the job done.... And some manufacturers molded little lumps for canopy ribs that would have been better if they left them plain.....

Along comes Micro Scale to solve the canopy painting problem by borrowing from the artists world.. Masking fluid designed for the modeler... Micro Mask was a revolution in it's day some 40 years ago... just paint it on the surface of your canopy, it dries in minutes and cut away the parts you wanted to paint with a sharp exacto or razor blade... worked extremely well for those canopies with decent ribbing detail.  One problem remained, you could easily slip with the sharp blade and ruin your canopy.... (I know this cause I have done it more times than I care to remember)

I came up with a solution to this problem.....

Masking Tape.....

My method of masking a canopy using Micro Mask.....

Materials..

One three piece canopy, a roll of 1/2" frisket tape and Micro Mask.....

DCP_2769.JPG.dc605116baba91c17b3a6c5cf316fc98.JPG

The first step is to mask off the canopy using the masking tape...... (say what? I thought we were using masking fluid?)

DCP_2770.JPG.735acc55a6d1a6e9cd940e82576afba5.JPG

You only mask off the portion that YOU WANT TO PAINT...... leaving the rest of the glass portion clear....

DCP_2771.JPG.894390dc811d6a7a03e6be5dbc0b273a.JPG

There are reasons, #1, the masking tape hanging over the ends and sides gives you natural handles to hold the canopy while working on it....

And #2, the masking tape acts as an edge to run your knife blade against so you don't go skittering across the clear portion or cut through the masking scoring the part you want painted.....

DCP_2772.JPG.25655ba8a6ed2867c9caf81751dad535.JPG

The Micro Mask is painted on with a cheap soft brush, don't go using your good detail brushes for this....

Paint it generously lapping over the tape on the sides and ends...

That overhanging tape makes a pretty good handle....

DCP_2773.JPG.c04a4270e255b79b2bab5f8a6df4a93e.JPG

As you can see I used the Frisket tape for the two canopy pieces the windscreen I used regular masking tape the reason for this is frisket tape is stiff and low tack and with the windscreen the two middle ribs curve so I cut thin strips of regular masking tape that can be bent following the curve of the rib... Remember we are only using them as guide edges so if a little bit manages somehow to get under the tape we deal with that later...

DCP_2774.JPG.9744d02bd3538261eda2696021800664.JPG

Painted and waiting to dry, (it doesn't take long 10 to 15 minutes) I usually give it an hour just to make sure. I prefer a wide handled knife for detail work, I feel I get more control with it than a thin handled knife...

In today's aftermarket world, a kit is released and very soon afterwards a company comes out with canopy masks made out of frisket tape, I've used them and they are very nice. With this bird I was lucky to get one set of masks made for it, (the Italieri masks don't fit this bird) they are out of production and you are lucky to find them for the Hasegawa kits... so it is both cheaper to brush off the old canopy masking skills and see if I still have it....

Besides, there might be some younger modelers out there that didn't know how to deal with masking canopies without mask sets and AM manufacturers only produce for the most recent kits so this is still a necessary skill to have in your tool box. And I believe my innovation makes this a much easier proposition for less experienced modelers.... (we might have a few around)

Next up cutting the masks and removing the tape...

EG

Quote:

Short update...

I cut the masks and pulled the masking tape.....

DCP_2775.JPG.bdcc2cbbfe63377fb06870539e89ed07.JPG

Notice they now have a blue tint to the clear? those are the masks, a very thin film over the parts you want to remain clear.... you can see over the windscreen forward edge where they are still clear.

Here's a close up....

DCP_2776.JPG.44983193238fdc0a68e11b531b2cb95d.JPG

That's it! Masking the canopy is done.... the clear parts now have a very thin removable film over them.... it is impervious to enamel paints...

Ready to re-mount them and go to work on cleaning up the Fuselage....

Onwards...

EG

Quote:

Nice tutorial, thanks for sharing!

If you don't mind me asking, do you dip your canopies in Future?  I wasn't quite sure why that was done, or the proper time to do so (before or after painting the framing, etc.).  Do you also use scratch removers like Novus?

Mike

2 hours ago, Canute said:

Very nice mini-tutorial there, EG.

Thanks Ken, This is such a minor thing I actually thought about not posting it but figured that there might be some that would benefit from the older ways of doing things......

Fairly straightforward and easy once you get the hang of it...

Quote:

32 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Nice tutorial, thanks for sharing!

If you don't mind me asking, do you dip your canopies in Future?  I wasn't quite sure why that was done, or the proper time to do so (before or after painting the framing, etc.).  Do you also use scratch removers like Novus?

Thank Mike...

Yes I always dip in Future when the canopy is finished, that takes care of all the tiny scratches that clear canopies seem to pick up and provides it a protectant layer of very tough, super clear, and super shiny acrylic...

Plastic polish I don't use unless there is no other way to save the canopy.. (masking knife slippages on antique kit canopies come to mind) Usually with care and patience there is no need to polish the canopies, just dip them and be done with it...

Quote:

Another small update....

Canopy is glued on with canopy glue again, and wiped down and cleaned for spraying primer, now this isn't going to get everything but the loose stuff should be gone...

DCP_2777.JPG.f0efd60903607b71dd0f2aaa312936c1.JPG

On the spray bench....

DCP_2778.JPG.2a32ad4dc764f69de5bd43f560a4cdfe.JPG

And back on the work table for buffing/smoothing the paint....

DCP_2779.JPG.6dfa061d9ccc1309caac104060274f30.JPG

There are of course some issues that need to be dealt with, tiny fills and edges that need to be buffed down before it gets a final coat of primer... and yeah it's had enough paint to hide some of the very fine details.....

It will look good in the end, but will not be my best work..... I'll probably do another in the future.....

But the experience in learning how is invaluable....

Onward...

EG

Quote:

Its good to have a clean canvas again bro,  but I know how you feel  (like I did with Mossie)    looking forward to the next stage.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I've heard of that coating for canopies........haven't tried it myself.   you've done some very nice progress :)    fingers crossed on the second attempt!   happy belated Birthday to you....I seem to miss the important dates.......I'll probably be late for my own funeral ;)    I hope you had a good day!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

9 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Its good to have a clean canvas again bro,  but I know how you feel  (like I did with Mossie)    looking forward to the next stage.

OC.

Almost there my friend, a final primer spray, spray off the wings in white primer then a light gloss coat....

Keeping my fingers crossed....

Quote: