F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" by Egilman - Minicraft/Hasegawa - 1/32nd Scale

4 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

I've heard of that coating for canopies........haven't tried it myself.   you've done some very nice progress :)    fingers crossed on the second attempt!   happy belated Birthday to you....I seem to miss the important dates.......I'll probably be late for my own funeral ;)    I hope you had a good day!

Thanks Dennis, I had a great day, quiet and relaxing.... (stayed away from the bench for a while)

Micro mask was a godsend back in the day and is the old school standard now..... But those pesky AM designers do come up with myriad ways to part us from our money don't they... Sometimes old school is better.....

It's pretty impossible to be late for your own funeral my friend, and if you actually manage to do that, you can blame others cause you were incapable of doing anything about it being incapacitated and all... {chuckle}

Anyway, second attempt is coming up soon, I just finished the final priming, grey fuselage and white wings... Pics in a bit....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Final update before waxing....

Finished the priming, it's pretty smooth for the most part..... This is what she looked like after the final grey coat.....

DCP_2779.JPG.acf86ad7512f10dafd32f95349dbe3e3.JPG

Not much different than the first prime coat.....

Masking off the wings....

DCP_2780.JPG.572ea1cb1a689ee1f9289d6f5ed0f764.JPG

This was done with frisket tape in straight lines following the curve of the wing top and bottom, then a full length paper mask using shipping paper and standard masking tape looped over and under the fuselage and closed off on the ends leaving nothing but the wings exposed.....

DCP_2782.JPG.3af58fb13439a9f65bb724aed37f757a.JPG

Tops of the wings in Tamiya fine white....

DCP_2781.JPG.97d80ba54e18153254ba0534a88c8919.JPG

Bottoms of the wings in the same... Now I know that for most of the Zippers life in the USAF, they had White wing tops and AC Grey bottoms... but there was this one little period, from late '62 thru early '65 where the wings were white both top and bottom, Blue Jay Four was filmed during this period... so hence they are white top and bottom...

And finally....

DCP_2783.JPG.79c22318916fbc93f3c8bd9ff78f23af.JPG

Now I still need to do a bit of cleanup at the wing roots, the masking left a raised edge that need to be taken care of. (minor issue) She's ready to go after a bit of time to fully cure... 

The procedure now is to finish the wings off first, they need to be clear coated and fully cured. Then mask them as they will appear on the final aircraft then do the wax finish on the fuselage....

Hopefully after that, I will be on the home stretch, as long as all my decals arrive ontime......

Finally making some progress, I felt barricaded for a while there..... {chuckle}

EG

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Looking good bro.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

On 7/16/2020 at 7:59 AM, Old Collingwood said:

Looking good bro.

OC.

Thanks brother.....

Up next masking off the wings and waxing....

Quote:

Update, the one everyone is waiting for....

Waxing this lady!!! (no, not that kind of waxing)

We start with masking... we don't want any wax on our wings...

DCP_2784.JPG.1f8f8a1f7e5fd001445671217839ee73.JPG

Using 3/4" frisket tape we mask even to the fuselage to the flap then even with the flap to the trailing edge...

DCP_2785.JPG.d7bb8a75ecfa2d0f6dbc13d87763b709.JPG

We finish off with covering the wing surfaces with masking strips. I did it this way cause I do not want the masking tearing during application of the wax...

DCP_2786.JPG.f7866d0ac6f599ac9ee34a6f8f093bdc.JPG

Rub on and buff out.. It didn't take very long at all about 15 minutes to completely cover the fuselage...DCP_2787.JPG.9924793f67f07f2af91580d7f96ca18a.JPG

Top and bottom...

DCP_2788.JPG.78e363b93adcd871d46ea494c43c8496.JPG

With the masking pulled....

DCP_2789.JPG.6e7176591d68b987e3229358f60f7f3c.JPG

Wing Tanks and stabilizer added, she is really looking the part now...

Time to get some outside shots....

DCP_2794.JPG.809c140da8852f9cd4e3582c1eea5fdf.JPG

DCP_2793.JPG.1062c52f7bd25870dd79f309831d9f8b.JPG

DCP_2792.JPG.02b4b840e51997f1a08c9e2775e19a36.JPGDCP_2790.JPG.fab9505c1b3283fefd3f95c4eef9a5ac.JPGDCP_2791.JPG.a86397517d625f311a67b8cb71c69fe1.JPGDCP_2795.JPG.38ee20866845971a6a9dd01a20885494.JPGDCP_2796.JPG.cc7fcd23113a24a5bc01c0558cc01ba3.JPG

She looks better from a distance than up close,  yeah, the finish suffers from the refinishing work that went on before... But as far as the metal surface goes it duplicates the natural look of aluminum sheet metal in a semi polished state..... Some reflections, but not mirrors, the way most of them in common use were.... It reflects sunshine the way it is supposed to.... 

I don't think there is a better BMF product hands down.... There is nothing out there that matches this...  Absolutely nothing... (of course in my humble opinion)

Gonna leave it sit overnight, give it a final rubdown and call it good... Next, I will start concentrating on the details... which first up is the different colors on the tail......

Tamiya fine grey primer, a light coat of testors wet look and Rub n Buff... My next aircraft will have a black base coat...

Anyway it is what it is..... It does look like a bare metal F-104 just don't get too close to it to see all the imperfections in the surface...

A heck of a learning experience.....

EG

My first one, I hope you like it....

Quote:

Well done bro  - seriously   you have been through it with this  - you deserve some good look  and it arrived.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

34 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

Well done bro  - seriously   you have been through it with this  - you deserve some good look  and it arrived.

OC.

Yep, so glad it has turned out good, you must feel  you've built this dozens of times, but you got there and it looks awesome.

Great work EG :imNotWorthy: praise for hanging on in there. 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

3 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

OC.

Thank you OC... But, we are not done yet, Rub n Buff is much better than the Uschi powders easier to put on... but it is effected by hand oils also, just not as fast... 

So I need to readjust the application procedures for it to account for that......... Probably have to put a clear coat over it and see what that does to it.....

Quote:

2 hours ago, Edwardkenway said:

Yep, so glad it has turned out good, you must feel  you've built this dozens of times, but you got there and it looks awesome.

Great work EG :imNotWorthy: praise for hanging on in there. 

Thank Ed for the vote of confidence, But alas I still have more figuring to do... Not quite there yet...

Over time, the wax will soften and come off when handling it... I already have a few areas where it needs to be touched up...

And it's not going to stay hard long enough to get the decals down..... so I'm into testing mode again I have to find a sealer for it...

Two steps forward and one step back..... 

It masks fine though tape doesn't pull it off I guess that is a good thing....

Quote:

The finish looks great, EG. Bet that puts your mind at ease.

I hope you do your practice on your tank turret. Don't screw up the Zipper. Got some gloves to prevent prints and oils from transferring? Can't wait to see the markings applied to this jewel. 👍

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

3 hours ago, Canute said:

The finish looks great, EG. Bet that puts your mind at ease.

I hope you do your practice on your tank turret. Don't screw up the Zipper. Got some gloves to prevent prints and oils from transferring? Can't wait to see the markings applied to this jewel. 👍

Thanks Ken,

It looks good... I know it takes a clear coat cause I already tested that on the turret.... I was just trying to get the pewter wax on the tail before sealing it down when I noticed it coming off on my hands... Easily fixable...

I have some nitrile gloves that will allow me to handle it during this process, just a minor setback. So I'm figuring that I need to do it in stages, base metal finish down first, then a light seal coat, then the other metal colors on the tail.....

So as adjusted, the procedure is now finish off the planes basic assembly, a thin coat of gloss black paint, the RnB silver wax (which goes down very thin), then a light gloss clearcoat, and finally the Pewter or Titanium colors on the tail and then an overall light gloss seal coat...

Overall there are a lot of painted BMF's out there which are very very nice, but they do not match this in realism and it's done without an airbrush....

I'm going to finish this one, it's not my best work and has a lot of issues, So, I will be doing another F-104C - Blue Jay 4 in the future, (probably the new Italieri) but it's time to get this thing done and move on..... I've learned the basics of what I needed to..... Even the Admiral understands that this one was a learning experience..... she thinks it looks great, but admits she really doesn't know what she's looking at...

Gonna touch it up now and seal coat it so it doesn't come off again...

Thanks guys for following along and your patience with a plastic hacker's inexperience...

EG

Quote:

Looks good, sir.  I'm curious, will the wax be removed before the decals go down or will the decals adhere to the wax?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

19 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Looks good, sir.  I'm curious, will the wax be removed before the decals go down or will the decals adhere to the wax?

Thank you Mark..

The wax is permanent, it's what puts the metal finish on the plastic and is gloss coated to seal it down, the decals go over the gloss coat.....

And it doesn't change color when sealed.... 

EG

Update:

Below is an image of her gloss coated....

DCP_2798.JPG.88403b35c09fd60b2d70513b7e257962.JPG

Yep, she doesn't change colors.... Waiting for a solid cure, before I continue... Way too many coats on her now, so I just wanna make sure before I go farther....

Quote:

Well, No pics today, just a frustrated lament...

I went to mask the tail for the pewter wax color sections... I used the light tack frisket tape, and the finish pulled off with the tape... Tried it a second time and same result...

It's sealed but I can't mask it for colors.... Way too many paint layers on this thing that aren't really sticking... So I think I'm going to try and freehand it and if that fails, then I'll leave it as it is... It won't be completely color accurate I know..... Don't know what else to do with it...... except bin it and start over..

It's been a learning experience, an expensive one as the Admiral has noted, but still a learning experience.....

Sorry for the rant my friends... I wanted this to come out nice, but it's time to decide which way to go, cut it off and get it done or bin it...

She is being a real contrary lady....

EG

Quote:

Don't bin it EG!! Try free hand, it's all experience and these things are sent to try us😬😬😖

She's only noted it 😉 it's when your allowance gets stopped is when you worry 😥

Current builds;

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Well, still in the deciding stage... The Admiral sat me down and told me that I have to look at the end result.... She knows me too well...

Her opinion is that going further is going to frustrate me even more cause it will not be what I envisioned so I will never be happy with it, so why waste any further money trying to fix it...... Italieri is coming out with an updated kit (now available in europe for preorder) and use this kit as a learning experience... I still have all the decals and the extra parts that haven't been used and I can save the seat and cockpit......

Her recommendation is to stop beating my head against the wall and move on... 

And to be honest with you all, that is the way I'm leaning.... It's not a defeat but a heavy learning experience.... 

We travel down many roads in modeling, occasionally we come to a dead end.... I believe this is one of those times... I can't fix it unless I tear it apart and do a complete strip down and get all the accumulated finishes off... That in itself will create even more fit and finish problems down the line...

It's not happening fellas..... I know my limitations.... (and I know from experience where it goes from here)

Her opinion is get another one and try again in the future.... she doesn't mind the expense as long as I'm enjoying myself.... She also says is that it is painfully obvious to her that I'm not enjoying myself.... it has become a drain.... It's my stubbornness that is causing this, my unwillingness to give in... She says it is what makes me good at what I do.... but not to forget to face facts, this is NEVER going to come out the way I want it to...

Go back and take the other road...

Sorry fellas, I have to agree with her...

This is going on Hiatus while I sort it out...

It is the only course forward at this point...

Quote:

25 minutes ago, fnick said:

Second that! Finish it you'll be glad. Also just think how pleased you will be when you do get it right on your next model.

We are our worst critics... 🙄. It would be a shame to throw away all the good work.

Nick

Thanks Nick for the vote of confidence...

The work isn't being throw away my friend, all of what was learned will be applied to the next one....

Quote:

See where you are coming from. A hobby that ain't fun ain't a hobby. Just wanted to make sure you didn't stop without really thinking about it (been there done that...) You clearly have.

Nick

Ps. Just don't mess up the next one😁🤪

EG, take  a step or two back. Work on something else. I think we all have a dark corner of the shop where our faux pas reside. Some issues just beat us. Unfortunately, it's your Blue Jay 4 build today. You'll puzzle it out and dazzle us all with a newer, better Zipper. Nihil illigitimis, carborundum. Don't let the bas***ds wear you down. We'll all be there supporting you.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

That looks fantastic EG - thanks for taking the time to experiment and share the highs and lows.  Seems to definitely have promise...

Would adding a clear coat help seal the wax, etc. in to help with the masking?  I know that with bare metal foil, paints like Alclad, etc., adding clear coats ends up dulling the finish.  Ends up being a catch 22.

For my F3Fs, I'm probably going to add a gloss coat after painting with the Vallejo Metals in order to put on decals/paint insignia and eventually weathering.  I've noticed that in taping the canopy interior, a bit of paint came up from some of the taping. 🤬 And I didn't tape very hard, so I'm a bit nervous taping without a clear coat of some kind. 

*EDIT* Just saw that you were going to call it a day on this one.  Again, many thanks for sharing the experiment with us.  I've learned a lot!  Certainly understand moving on.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

39 minutes ago, Egilman said:

she doesn't mind the expense as long as I'm enjoying myself.... She also says is that it is painfully obvious to her that I'm not enjoying myself.... it has become a drain.... It's my stubbornness that is causing this, my unwillingness to give in... She says it is what makes me good at what I do.... but not to forget to face facts, this is NEVER going to come out the way I want it to...

Can't argue with that logic my friend 😉

We'll just wait for the Italieri kit.

I know you'll be back bigger and better so relax and why not try a floaty thing in the meantime 😁😁:dancetl6:

Current builds;

Completed:

59 minutes ago, fnick said:

See where you are coming from. A hobby that ain't fun ain't a hobby. Just wanted to make sure you didn't stop without really thinking about it (been there done that...) You clearly have.

Nick

Ps. Just don't mess up the next one😁🤪

Amen Brother... {chuckle}

Quote:

56 minutes ago, Canute said:

EG, take  a step or two back. Work on something else. I think we all have a dark corner of the shop where our faux pas reside. Some issues just beat us. Unfortunately, it's your Blue Jay 4 build today. You'll puzzle it out and dazzle us all with a newer, better Zipper. Nihil illigitimis, carborundum. Don't let the bas***ds wear you down. We'll all be there supporting you.

This was a lady that didn't want to be consummated.... I'm sure you know what they are like....

Always more fish in the sea... and for every non-success, there is another success just around the corner... 

Plans are already being laid for Blue Jay Four #2..... I never quit, just sometimes it is best to make a strategic withdrawal......

And thank you my friends for all the support..... It's means a lot.... It really does....

Quote:

45 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

.....And I didn't tape very hard, so I'm a bit nervous taping without a clear coat of some kind. 

*EDIT* Just saw that you were going to call it a day on this one.  Again, many thanks for sharing the experiment with us.  I've learned a lot!  Certainly understand moving on.

Definitely test it first my friend, the clear coats are not adhering to the metalized finish is the problem, they cover, they dry and work as expected as long as nothing else is required of them... it's not like putting it down over primer or even paint... It has nothing to grab onto... So the metal finishes have to be the last part of the build then the clear coat for sealing leading into the decals and you only get one shot at it.... My problem is too many coats and not enough grab to them....

My pleasure on sharing, at least everyone got a good idea of what not to do........

And I'm not giving up, Blue Jay Four will be sitting on my shelf eventually... just not this time.....

Quote:

53 minutes ago, Edwardkenway said:

Can't argue with that logic my friend 😉

We'll just wait for the Italieri kit.

I know you'll be back bigger and better so relax and why not try a floaty thing in the meantime 😁😁:dancetl6:

Yeah I had a hard time Ed arguing that logic myself... (she can be pretty persuasive when she wants to be, especially when she is right)

But she does understand....

I don't know about a Floaty Thingy right now, I have the Bandit to re-start/finish.... and get my build space cleaned up and organized......

But I will be back with another Zipper... a much better kit I understand......

Final picture, where I finally wound up... (I pulled the canopy masks not bad but I'm rusty)

DCP_2799.JPG.ace62afd87bd830690666df80467bef3.JPG

She does look good I have to admit, it's not the look that is stopping this build, it's the overapplication of finishes preventing any further advance on finishes... So it can't be finished properly...

But I have learned how to get the metal finish on the plane... that's the take off from this hobbying road trip.... I learned what I needed to know even if I didn't arrive at the end of the journey...

I found the silver lining so to speak.... {chuckle}

Quote:

See this thread: http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/general_discussion/f/9/p/162653/1779851.aspx

Just wondering if you ran across this thread while you searched for the application of RnB as a NMF?

None of these fellows offered any hopes for success as a practical matter. It would be very enlightening to learn exactly how the modeler you cited used the product on his Zipper. Being a wax, I am very skeptical it can offer a durable, NMF finish on an entire aircraft model. Small bits and pieces, maybe, but an entire model, no.

4 hours ago, CDW said:

See this thread: http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/general_discussion/f/9/p/162653/1779851.aspx

Just wondering if you ran across this thread while you searched for the application of RnB as a NMF?

None of these fellows offered any hopes for success as a practical matter. It would be very enlightening to learn exactly how the modeler you cited used the product on his Zipper. Being a wax, I am very skeptical it can offer a durable, NMF finish on an entire aircraft model. Small bits and pieces, maybe, but an entire model, no.

3 hours ago, CDW said:

This modeler says he used RnB thinned with enamel thinner, then sprayed through an airbrush. The results on his model look pretty good, but unlike the F-104 finish the other modeler got.

https://modelingmadness.com/review/allies/ussr/fordhamsu12.htm

I saw the second one, and yeah thinning it and spraying it only gives you the same as a rattle can aluminum finish not bad but not great...

I did read the one from finescale and yeah they are really looking for a finish that is put it on and your done... There is no BMF like that and there never will be... so yeah they treated RnB like they would any other finish.....

And there's a lot of them, I think when I get one done I'll post it to that 6 year old thread.. There was one poster that said it has been done and named another modeler that used it, another Paul over in France...

If I can figure out how they finish it off then I'll be in like flint... Cause there is no other finish that can match it...

And of course my brothers here will know how to do it also.....

I want that finish that says metal, not painted look alike for metal...

Quote:

Egilman... to quote an old movie line that I found very true..... "listen to the woman". You'll be a lot happier in the end.   I would keep this one as a test bed.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)