Permission to board...

JRGlasoe

Hi all...

I started sailing in Northern Minnesota and, due to the long winters, took up modeling my dreams. Hand crafted from 2x4s or any flotsam to float by, I got hooked. Back then, without the internet, I literally had no idea there were kits let alone experts or "hobbyists."

Years later, living in Coronado, CA allowed me to sail nearly year round; it was then, 20+ years ago, that I built my first Dumas Lightning. My real-world sailing was done on Chrysler O'Days, Hobie Cats and Wayfarers. The Wayfarer is what I consider the British equivalent of an American Lightning. Hence, I had a model that looked like my Wayfarer

With retirement around the corner and the pandemic, I thought I'd try again... I built my second one just this last month and I got hooked all over again. 

Goals: 1- become more competent about rigging, 2 - Learn the craft/art of planking, 3 - Study color/varnish/finishes.

I've read all 21 O'Brian Aubrey/Maturin books in the series and would love to actually sail on a "brigantine" (or equivalent), but my interests lie in the direction of Vikings (long family of Norwegians, here) and Yachts.

Looking forward to engaging, documenting and assisting as needed.

Jon

Welcome to MSW, Jon.   As far as sailing the "big boy"... There's one on the north coast (I think the farthest south it goes is Coos Bay but I could be wrong.  And I believe the museum ship, Surprise, in San Diego still does day cruises.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome aboard Jon.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Welcome to MSW Jon and happy sailing!

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Welcome to Model Ship World Jon.  Retirement does present its advantages when building ship models.  You will find many kits available that may suit your interest.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Welcome to MSW, Jon!

Not sure if you're not already past the "beginner" level, but you might like to look at this for some idea of what to build first - these kits are all distinguished by good clear instructions and relative ease of building, but with a good-looking model at the end.

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/18657-new-to-ship-modelling-but-what-do-you-build-first/

And make sure you start a build log of your own - this is how you do it:

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/24705-before-you-post-your-build-log-please-read-this-starting-and-naming-your-build-log/

It's the best way to get advice, help  and encouragement from the other members. Pretty much any problem you might encounter has probably been met and dealt with by someone else, and the members are very willing to give the benefit of their experience.

There are quite a few build logs of Viking vessels on the forum - look under "Up to and including 1500 AD" - both under "kits" and "scratch builds". You should get a lot of information on the joys of building a model Viking ship, as well as the trials and tribulations. This period is my own favourite, so if you start a Viking ship you'll probably find me chipping in every now and then.

The Amati Drakkar is a popular Viking model and there are a couple of logs on MSW for it. Type in "Amati Drakkar" in the search button at the top right of the page. Most seem to have had success, but at least one member has had trouble with getting the planking to follow the shape of the frames, though. 

Another has had a similar problem with a Dusek Viking model, so maybe it's something common to clinker-planked kits? I haven't built either of these, so I'm not in a position to comment further. Just a heads-up, not an attempt to discourage you.

Edited by Louie da fly

Welcome aboard Jon,

Vikings seem to be a more and more popular subject.   Maybe due to the Last Kingdom series???   We ALL have a lot to learn in our pursuit to build a high quality model, and this is without doubt the best place to get useful  advice from so many artists.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

9 hours ago, allanyed said:

Vikings seem to be a more and more popular subject.   Maybe due to the Last Kingdom series???

I willhave to check that one out.  I very much enjoyed the Vikings show from the history channel

I would imagine the History Channel series was far more interesting from a fact base.  The Last Kingdom is a four season series and has some pretty gruesome stuff.  Takes place in 800's when King Alfred was trying to form England by uniting Wessex and Mercia.  Some fact, mostly fiction, but interesting none-the-less, (to some friends and me at least -not the wives - too much fighting) 

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome Jon!

I’m new here myself. 

I had my first sailing experience with a friend of mine on Pelican Lake in Minnesota. I’m from North Dakota myself. Zorbas was right across the street from where he had his dock. 

I just started O’Brians works after having made it through all the C.S. Forrester Hornblower books. Also really enjoyed “The Good Shepherd” which, if you enjoyed its motion picture  equivalent, “Greyhound”, which came out recently, the books better (as usual). 

I hope all is well in Cali.  Wish you the best. 

Tom

Current Build:

USS Tinosa (SSN 606) Fast Attack Submarine - Scratchbuild

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/18/2020 at 4:31 AM, CW_Tom said:

Welcome Jon!

I’m new here myself. 

I had my first sailing experience with a friend of mine on Pelican Lake in Minnesota. I’m from North Dakota myself. Zorbas was right across the street from where he had his dock. 

I just started O’Brians works after having made it through all the C.S. Forrester Hornblower books. Also really enjoyed “The Good Shepherd” which, if you enjoyed its motion picture  equivalent, “Greyhound”, which came out recently, the books better (as usual). 

I hope all is well in Cali.  Wish you the best. 

Tom

Tom, I grew up in Fergus Falls, MN and started sailing on Ottertail lake. Zorbas as at the end of the lake, there. Great beer. Di don't trust the food, but who goes to zorbas for a culinary tour? Small world. California is not on fire, sliding off the coast and is a balmy 70... so pretty good. Was in ND in September. Your state capital is amazing. I love your prairie and the sky.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you.  I do enjoy taking my girls to the Heritage Museum which is on the capital grounds.  Perhaps you poked your head in there while you were passing through.  

I've been through Fergus Falls a few times and flown over a couple.  It seems like a great area.  It just amazes me how there seems to be a definite line between open prairie which suddenly turns into dense trees.  I know its a bit further east of you, but I really loved flying around the Brainard area in the summer.  All the lakes and green trees made for a delightful afternoon.

I hope you had a good Christmas season and a fair start to the new year.

Current Build:

USS Tinosa (SSN 606) Fast Attack Submarine - Scratchbuild

JRGlasoe and CW Tom:

First off: Welcome JRGlasoe. 

The three of us have Minnesotan connections; both sides of my family came from MN and most still are there.  My Dad's from Motley, just west of Brainard and my Mom grew up on a farm near Parker's Prairie.  Parker's Prairie is near to the abrupt change in land form, from woods and lakes to prairie, mentioned by CW Tom.  The town of Lake Woebegone from Garrison Keillor's Prairie Home Companion , the town "on the edge of the prairie", is fictitiously located near Parker's Prairie.

CW Tom, your mention of this abrupt transition struck a chord in me.  It has held my interest since my days at the U of M's forestry school.  The flat land of central North America is the result of little if any geologic upheaval in what was an ancient ocean bottom, made all the more flat by several advances of glaciers over it.  The last push of the glaciers stopped right at Fergus Falls' location.  A line on a state road-map from Mankato to Willmar, Morris and  ending at Fergus Falls defines this change from lake-land to prairie; it defines the western limit of the glacier's last push.  The wooded hills studded with lakes east of this line are, in fact,  the piles of debris left where the glaciers stopped.  East of this line - a myriad of lakes and hills - immediately west of it, prairie all the way to Montana. 

I will inject a nautical reference into this post by saying it is impossible to fathom the nature of this land prior to glaciation.  Speculation is, all the water flowing to the Gulf of Mexico via the Missouri and Mississippi River drainages, used to flow into Hudson Bay. 

The lakes and beauty of the area around Brainard not withstanding, the number of resorts and summer-homes there goes back to WWII.  The  Brainard area is as far away as people from Minneapolis could get on a war-time gas ration.