Sutton Hoo Anglo-Saxon ship burial - footage of 1939 excavation

Louie da fly

Though this video is ostensibly about the sword found at Sutton Hoo, the footage of the excavation is fascinating. None of the timber survived - they figured out the shape of the ship, frames, planking and nails by following the discoloration in the sand of the burial mound. How's that for careful work! 

Steven

3 hours ago, Jim Lad said:

I had trouble trying to come to grips with excavating and entire ship by looking for the sand discolouration.

Same here. How do you stand in the ship's "hull" to keep your footprints from interfering with what's already been excavated?

Steven

A great tragedy of Sutton Hoo was that the painstaking work of the local archaeologist, Basil Brown, a self-taught but very talented amateur, who so carefully exposed the shape of the hull, and established the importance of the find, was all set at nought by the pompous academics of the time. 

Conscious of the chance for a healthy dose of glory, the big names muscled in on the project, trying to forbid further work until they had assembled a team of their own kind. Basil was relegated to pushing a wheelbarrow, and I am fairly certain that his name was not even mentioned in the first reports written by the claim-jumpers. 

The finds were donated to the British Museum by the landowner. 

As for how the shape of the ship was revealed without damaging it, that was obviously part of the under-appreciated skill of Basil Brown, and will be shown somewhere, as huge numbers of photographs were taken. 

A similar situation is unfolding today, with the wreck of the London, which blew up and sank in the Thames in 1665. Periodically uncovered then re-covered by drifting sand, the wreck was rediscovered some years ago, and contains many artefacts, some of which have been recovered by the finders, who formed a knowledgeable and motivated team of amateur marine archaeologists. Most regrettably, the continuance of excavation work has been banned by English Heritage while they argue for ever over who does what. In the meantime, valuable remains are being rapidly eroded: for example a complete gun carriage, which was visible, and then was washed away as officially nobody could touch it! 

All the best,

Mark P

Edited by Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

• 2 weeks later...

Watched the Netflix movie last night and liked it. Interesting story, really good cinematography and lighting, and Fienes’ depiction of Brown was excellent. The romantic side stories felt contrived and unnecessary. Wife, a true Anglophile, really enjoyed it.

Cheers,

Keith

I vaguely recall an exhibit of the Sutton Hoo ship in the British museum many decades ago, like part of a cast of the dig? Do I remember this correctly, and if so, is it still in the British Museum public exhibits?

Mark

A bit of the history . . .

And here's a video from the people in the UK who are building a full-sized replica:

Here's their website - https://saxonship.org/?fbclid=IwAR2tmg3x4sTXGqSmQi60mBwmmIaJzlpQfs9BK1PWbSn9NkONbBwpwiF8gVQ

fascinating!

Steven

Edited by Louie da fly

Just watched the movie yesterday.  I really enjoyed it. In the end notes to the film they mention that the work of Basil Brown was finally recognized at some point by the British Museum.

Regards,

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

And Bob, do not forget the weskit (waistcoat). See also:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/sutton_hoo_dig_collection/zs6xqfr

Interviews with those involved in the actual dig. If you've seen the movie, there is quite  a difference in the characters!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

And Basil Brown is of course played by Ralph Fiennes, probably best known as Lord Voldemort in Harry Potter.

To paraphrase an old chestnut:

Lord Voldemort has no nose.

How does he smell?

Terrible!

Steven

19 hours ago, Bob Cleek said:

I'm always amused by the custom of those times that the men so often wore white shirts, neckties, and coats when they did manual labor. Sometimes they wore shop aprons, but always the shirts and ties. 

If I remember correctly, the work foreman wore a brown "lab" coat and hat- flat cap or bowler to differentiate himself from the simple worker 

current build- Swan ,scratch

on shelf,Rattlesnake, Alert semi scratch,Le Coureur,, Fubbs scratch

completed: nostrum mare,victory(Corel), san felipe, sovereign of the seas, sicilian  cargo boat ,royal yacht caroline, armed pinnace, charles morgan whaler, galilee boat, wappen von hamburg, la reale (Dusek), amerigo vespucci, oneida (semi scratch) diane, great harry-elizabethan galleon (semi scratch), agammemnon, hanna (scratch).19th cent. shipyard diorama (Constructo), picket boat, victory bow section

On 1/29/2021 at 4:17 PM, Jim Lad said:

Amazing! I would have thought a movie about an archaeological dig would have limited appeal at best.

John

Isn't Raiders of the Lost Ark fundamentally a movie about an archaeological dig? 🙂

Current Builds: Bluejacket USS KearsargeRRS Discovery 1:72 scratch

Completed Builds: Model Shipways 1:96 Flying Fish | Model Shipways 1:64 US Brig Niagara | Model Shipways 1:64 Pride of Baltimore II (modified) | Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack | Heller 1:150 Passat | Revell 1:96 USS Constitution

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got to see the movie "The Dig". Very good indeed, despite the unnecessary additions to the story.

Just a shame Basil Brown never lived to see that he finally got the credit for the discovery. They could have showed more of the treasure, though.

Apparently someone was engaged to make exact copies of the artefacts for the movie, and when they had them out on display I recognised most of them from having seen them "in the flesh". Unfortunately the helmet was in so many fragments when found that it couldn't possibly be shown in the movie.

Apparently Basil Brown excavated four of the mounds at Sutton Hoo, ending with the "big one" - something I hadn't been aware of.

Steven  

• 2 years later...