Hello from a newbie with L plates on!

Pirategirl

Hi everyone,

I have been on this forum for a week or two now and thought I would get brave and introduce myself. It’s clear from what I have read that this is a great community with a wealth of knowledge and I love the way everyone is encouraging and supportive. 

I live in regional Western Australia, and as I stated in the topic, I am brand new to this hobby. I have always been a closet model train lover and also love model muscle cars. But I have to admit that the craftsmanship involved in model ship building makes this seem far more personal and each piece is a work of art!

I am fortunate enough to have a hands on mentor who suggested this forum to me. I know many people rely on online support only. What started for me as taking an interest and being supportive of his hobby has started to turn into a bigger interest for me... probably just as well as I can see this fast becoming something to be completely immersed in!

i will be starting with a kit build which I hope to refine as my skills develop, but I do hope to be able to get to a point where I can build by scratch. As time permits with a few little ones at home to work around still!

Maybe I will get brave and start a build log!

thanks and looking forward to being part of this forum!

Jas 

Welcome to MSW Jas,

This is a brilliant forum and you have chosen well. Have you decided on a kit? Whichever one you chose good luck. If you do get stuck during the build you will find the members here very helpful. Whichever kit you chose someone will almost certainly be building the same kit. And please do start a build log. Looking forward to seeing your progress in this wonderful hobby.

Paul

In work

Amati-rms-titanic-1912-1250

Unfinished kit

Revell Container-ship-colombo-express

Finished

AL -  King of the Mississippi

AL-Sanson

Hello Jas and welcome to MSW from the UK.

As you have probably already seen, a lot of newcomers to this hobby are experienced in other types of modelmaking. You will find most of your head-scratching moments have already been addressed and solved by someone else.

My only advice is: choose a subject that holds your interest and that you want to see sitting on a shelf in your home.

Looking forward to seeing what you choose, enjoy it!

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Welcome to MSW, Jas!  This group is helpful and kind.  It can seem intimidating to post your work, but you’ll get real help and very nice comments about your work.  People here like to answer questions and share their experience to help others, so please don’t ever feel like you shouldn’t ask questions or solicit opinions about what you’re doing.  Also, if there’s a kit worth building, you can learn about it here.

Current Build:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48 (Group Project)

Completed Builds:

Virginia 1819 Artesania Latina - 1:41 

Welcome to MSW, Jas.   Do give some serious thought to a build log for reasons others have mentioned.  It really is the best way to get help and encouragement.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome to MSW Jas!

All great advice above, so have fun 🙂

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Hi Jas, and welcome to MSW. Where in WA do you live? As an old sandgroper I may know it - though I was raised in Perth I got around a fair bit.

I'd also recommend you start a build log - and don't worry that your model might not be "good enough" (something i think worries a lot of people starting out). This forum caters to everyone from total newbies to the demigods of modelling who write textbooks on the subject, and everyone in between. And no matter what level of skill you're at people will be very helpful and friendly.

The instructions for starting a build log for a kit are at https://modelshipworld.com/topic/24705-before-you-post-your-build-log-please-read-this-starting-and-naming-your-build-log/

Welcome aboard!

Steven

:piratebo5:

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

On 2/22/2021 at 6:27 AM, Louie da fly said:

Hi Jas, and welcome to MSW. Where in WA do you live? As an old sandgroper I may know it - though I was raised in Perth I got around a fair bit.

I'd also recommend you start a build log - and don't worry that your model might not be "good enough" (something i think worries a lot of people starting out). This forum caters to everyone from total newbies to the demigods of modelling who write textbooks on the subject, and everyone in between. And no matter what level of skill you're at people will be very helpful and friendly.

The instructions for starting a build log for a kit are at https://modelshipworld.com/topic/24705-before-you-post-your-build-log-please-read-this-starting-and-naming-your-build-log/

Welcome aboard!

Steven

Hey Steven!

thanks for the welcome.  I will start a build log, to be honest I haven’t started anything yet. It’s still all looking pretty in the box!

I am in Busselton in the South West

12 hours ago, Pirategirl said:

I am in Busselton in the South West

That's a pretty place. Nice to live on the coast.

No hurry about starting your build. It's not a race. Just enjoy yourself.

Steven

Well hello, and welcome along....does your "mentor" know what he has got himself into ??

😎👌

JR

Edited by Flypast

Believe me, my young friend,

there is nothing – absolutely nothing -

half so much worth doing as

simply messing about with boats.

(The Wind in the Willows – Kenneth Grahame)