HMS Warspite by Lt. Biggles - FINISHED - Academy - 1/350 - PLASTIC - MK1 detail up set

Thanks for the info, all it will do is give me even more things to do but thought I’d investigate anyway. 
The Med in early to mid 43 is the time frame I’m making her to, so warm and haven’t considered what state as is battle stations or in cruise. Maybe I’ll open 2 or 3 doors just to change her up a bit. 

8 hours ago, RGL said:

How about an awning? 

HMS Warspite in Grand Harbor, Malta, August 1943.....

mpl0437.jpg.d07fd0cd31d58f7634826acefeddacd1.jpg

Probably just what it looked like in early '43... note the lack of awnings.... The British Navy had awnings but seldom used them during wartime....

Update:

After studying that pic, I believe you can see 3 to 4 open doors on the port side, the corresponding doors would be open on the starboard side to promote ventilation while sitting still in harbor and not under orders or alert conditions.....

Edited by Egilman

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

1 hour ago, Egilman said:

The British Navy had awnings but seldom used them during wartime....

I somewhat agree but for a different reason. If the British navy was anything like the US navy, and there was little reason to think they were not. Then most flammable items were removed and put ashore when war broke out. Awnings would be high on that list I suspect. Plus I think the ships spent much shorter times in port and it can take some time to break out and rig those sometimes huge awnings and of course put them away again. There may be smaller awnings that would be used to cover the companionway when at anchor or possibly the exposed bridge that was so common on British ships.

Just personal opinion NOT based on any real research.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

50 minutes ago, lmagna said:

I somewhat agree but for a different reason. If the British navy was anything like the US navy, and there was little reason to think they were not. Then most flammable items were removed and put ashore when war broke out. Awnings would be high on that list I suspect. Plus I think the ships spent much shorter times in port and it can take some time to break out and rig those sometimes huge awnings and of course put them away again. There may be smaller awnings that would be used to cover the companionway when at anchor or possibly the exposed bridge that was so common on British ships.

Just personal opinion NOT based on any real research.

I don't know as much about the British Navy as I do the US Navy, so I was guessing as well.... I'm having a hard time finding pics of a British warship with awnings up during the war, that's the basis of my speculation....

Yes the US Navy went on a crash program of stripping all flammables off their ships shortly after the first few battles around Guadalcanal.... Another thing that was common to British ships of the period was flying bridges rather than enclosed bridges, (bridges open to the air) The US Navy also used flying bridges during WWI, went to enclosed bridges during the tween war period and went back to flying bridges during WW II, (for better aerial sight/firing lines) especially on their smaller ships, then after the war, went back to enclosed bridges....

Comfort is not needed, better firing lines are during wartime... {chuckle}

Edited by Egilman

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

8 minutes ago, Egilman said:

Yes the US Navy went on a crash program of stripping all flammables off their ships shortly after the first few battles around Guadalcanal....

According to George Sessions Perry in Where Away: A Modern Odyssey The USS Marblehead was doing it just days after Pearl Harbor. No where to store it all so it apparently just went into the trash! The islanders must have had a heyday! 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

To be honest awnings had never even crossed my mind! 
It seems for realism it’s best to keep them off this particular ship but if one was to model an awning what would be used? Something incredibly thin yet still acts abit like it should. If done well would add a lot to the model visually!

I guess in ww2 everyone just tanned very fast and being perpetually sunburnt was part of life? 

Take a look at Greg's Regia Marina Zara build https://modelshipworld.com/topic/23382-heavy-cruiser-zara-by-rgl-trumpeter-1350-finished/?tab=comments#comment-689302 He does a nice job in that build. There may be more examples but I'm not certain.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Awnings, I did a bit more research.... you can find pics of awnings on Battleships all the way up to December 7th 1941, then they disappear until after August of 1945 when they majically reappear........ {chuckle}

Even such, they are few and far between when looking for images of them even prewar.... and then to narrow the search down to British ships? (the US Navy used a different system of hanging awnings than their RN counterparts)

Here is what I've found....

HMS Hood 1938 in a colorized pic....

1344882504_HMSHood1938.jpg.ca8d91b9748a21961c128d55571d056c.jpg

HMS Repulse, in 1937.... (probably Singapore) note the awnings hanging over the sides of the ship over the water...

1935256252_HMSRepulse1937.jpg.638e76ba7f20a0cb8f535eac36ac65b5.jpg

And the only QE class ship I could find...

The HMS Barham after her rebuild sometime in '37......

2095774558_HMSBarham1937.jpg.cec66e117fcc3717ecac51da589f771f.jpg

That should give ya an idea of what they looked like... Now in asking around I was told that there isn't too many pics of battleships with awnings out there cause people wanted to see pics of guns, lotsa big guns.... They didn't take to big guns in skirts, is the way it was put to me.... It was also pointed out that most photographers were independent and made their living on purchased pics so they would know what their clientele wanted... and it wasn't battleships in bedsheets....

So there isn't a lot out there in relation to battleships with awnings, in fact there really isn't much out there in relation to any warship, any nation showing it under awnings....

That's the long and the short of it...

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

So, I'd guess that the dearth of photos may be due to the photographer not taking shots of "ships in skirts". Too bad for some of us latter day historians/model builders.:(

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

9 hours ago, Canute said:

So, I'd guess that the dearth of photos may be due to the photographer not taking shots of "ships in skirts". Too bad for some of us latter day historians/model builders.:(

I was kinda taken aback when I was told that, I mean what's the difference, Right? Anyways a few things to notice about those pics and is consistent with all Warships with awnings...

They are at anchor or tied up to a dock, (most usually at anchor in the bay) ie. when nothing of importance navy wise was going on....

They were only put up at certain times, like religious services on Sunday, (most ships at Pearl, out in the bay, on the day, had all of the awnings up) Visitors days, open houses and the like, they would take upwards of a half a day to erect and half a day to take down and secure.... ie, they weren't something that were installed all the time, and never when under way......

Nice to know that installing awnings on a model warship in a waterbase display, although interesting, requires it to be in calm water in port....

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

On 3/18/2021 at 2:58 AM, LEGION 12 said:

Love this model yours looks like it's coming along wonderfully , built this one a few years back . 20200517_173201.jpg

Thanks mate, she is quite a nice looking ship. All those slopes and shelves on the hull really give her some character! You did a great job of yours! Looks quite nice in water!

Worked the AM shift this weeks so not as much time as normal to work on her and in the evenings I’ve been doing astrophotography so only have during the day and cloudy nights to give her. 

But when I could I carried on. Gave it a few days to dry well after so many baths in spirits. 

D51EB9C3-5213-4469-B9F1-4C04B8D09E80.thumb.jpeg.4ea0309e8a413eae04eeb36e0211bcb1.jpeg

Added a salt stain streak wash.

929D33FA-025E-4532-817F-03D97207758C.thumb.jpeg.e0d3336724aa223dd554425cfef30733.jpeg

and also a rusty grime wash.

B79EFC82-77B1-4A5B-B173-4BB69CAD0626.thumb.jpeg.620e0b4e9ff0f0c4a07d863f3a673b04.jpeg

these pictures are taken under quite harsh light so all the effects really stand out but under normal light it’s a much more subtle effect.

BEBF3691-15D3-42CF-8995-D84D9DD88F50.thumb.jpeg.77e0375e21e5119eb144c6157ea63e08.jpeg

B29B0E6E-FC4F-4549-BC37-946EC513526C.thumb.jpeg.4f562dc2b5c3b8b1ace47fdc94f3af94.jpeg

79336F16-740A-4CEA-8102-E5BD1B914FAD.thumb.jpeg.ddc0039f62e6e05e3444a896fda78868.jpeg

Think I’ll give it one more medium grey wash to blend everything together and soften the effects and move on with the build.

1 hour ago, Lt. Biggles said:

Thanks mate, she is quite a nice looking ship. All those slopes and shelves on the hull really give her some character! You did a great job of yours! Looks quite nice in water!

Your paint job and weathering put mine to shame , what are you doing with the decks , painting or wood ?

Superb work  - that weathering is looking really good,  I too have done a bit of astro work  mainly  Moon,  Seven sisters,  Jupiter, Saturn   and  Orion.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Looks amazing!  Can I ask what you’re using for washes?  For example, the gray wash you mentioned, are you air brushing it?  Hand brushing?

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

3 hours ago, LEGION 12 said:

Your paint job and weathering put mine to shame , what are you doing with the decks , painting or wood ?

I’ve got a wooden deck with the upgrade set so will use that. Will look much better than my attempt at painting a teak deck! I might have to fade it abit so it’s not looking brand new on a old weathered ship though.

2 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Superb work  - that weathering is looking really good,  I too have done a bit of astro work  mainly  Moon,  Seven sisters,  Jupiter, Saturn   and  Orion.

OC.

thanks mate, yea since travel is off the cards I’ve had to find new hobbies to fill the void! Haha.

Do you photograph them or did you do visual? 
I’m slowly setting up to photograph mainly nebula and galaxies if I can.

DD26D964-A1C4-478F-AAB7-ADA4E5D20C02.thumb.jpeg.d1ef390315b5cd5a170277c2904d8257.jpeg

Got one of these EQ6r pro mount, looking forward to testing it out. Unfortunately the box came filled with clouds so might be a week or two to get to test it!

49 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Looks amazing!  Can I ask what you’re using for washes?  For example, the gray wash you mentioned, are you air brushing it?  Hand brushing?

I always brush my washes on and off. My airbrush takes a lot more to clean oils so it puts me off using it. Except might airbrush a very thin grey wash on my deck to give it a more faded out look.

Were you also wanting to know what washes I use?

I had thought about getting a mount  but the amount of use vs the cost  - I decided not to bother, some of my DSO  shots was done by stacking  as many as I could get  - mainly in the winter nights when the "seeing"  conditions were better   I got one of  "Seven Sisters"   think that was something like  100 stacks then converted in an app  (can't remember the name of it)

I tried Jupiter with his moons  just a single shot  with a 300mm  lens on my old D7100  then heavily cropped,   my most recent was a moon shot hand held  at 420mm  - that didn't come out too bad.

I dont wnat to take up your thread so I thought it wrong to post my pics to you on here.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

1 hour ago, Old Collingwood said:

I had thought about getting a mount  but the amount of use vs the cost  - I decided not to bother, some of my DSO  shots was done by stacking  as many as I could get  - mainly in the winter nights when the "seeing"  conditions were better   I got one of  "Seven Sisters"   think that was something like  100 stacks then converted in an app  (can't remember the name of it)

I tried Jupiter with his moons  just a single shot  with a 300mm  lens on my old D7100  then heavily cropped,   my most recent was a moon shot hand held  at 420mm  - that didn't come out too bad.

I dont wnat to take up your thread so I thought it wrong to post my pics to you on here.

OC.

Nice! Since I’ve had my gear only Mars has been up and it’s so far away I have to wait till dec 2022 for it to be close again and the other planets aren’t in the night sky till about August so I’ve got the moon and nebula to practice on till they show up! Hoping the mount will help with the deep space long exposures! I’m looking forward to seeing Jupiter and Saturn for the first time.
Over here the seven sisters is called Matariki and it rises in June, I’d like to get some shots of that. You didn’t use “deep sky stacker” for your pics?

Please feel free to post those pics! I’d love to see them! 

Ok mate  here goes  - 

First off  Orion Nebula   then  "Seven Sisters"  (Pleiades)   then Jupiter and his moons  - Europa,Ganymede,Lo and Callisto   then a  recent moon shot.

Orion.png

Seven Sisters.jpg

Jupiter and His moons slightly closer.jpg

DSC_0203-Edit.jpg

Edited by Old Collingwood

Current builds  

Completed works.

They are great shots!! Love the colours in the seven sisters! That blue is fantastic! I don’t know how high they get in out southern skies!! The northern hemisphere gets so many more cool galaxies! I’m abit jealous haha! 
that moon is pretty crisp! Looks nice too with the blue background

You able to get the Milky Way over you clearly enough?   I am yet to get a good pic of it  - its just not dark enough here.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

24 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

You able to get the Milky Way over you clearly enough?   I am yet to get a good pic of it  - its just not dark enough here.

OC.

I'm a 15 min drive to bortle 1 skies so pretty lucky here.

This was a few days ago.

887428456_MilkyWay.thumb.jpg.04af5b1e6bd1ad106d939680be2fd03e.jpg

It's just the middle of the closest spiral arm of our galaxy. In about 4 months the core of the Milky Way will be visible nice and high so am looking forward to then! but while I wait I'm happy with the edges, we do get treated with the core a bit nicer here than up in the north.

9 minutes ago, Lt. Biggles said:

I'm a 15 min drive to bortle 1 skies so pretty lucky here.

This was a few days ago.

887428456_MilkyWay.thumb.jpg.04af5b1e6bd1ad106d939680be2fd03e.jpg

It's just the middle of the closest spiral arm of our galaxy. In about 4 months the core of the Milky Way will be visible nice and high so am looking forward to then! but while I wait I'm happy with the edges, we do get treated with the core a bit nicer here than up in the north.

Great photo  - and you got some galaxies  - now I'm jealous.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

7 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

Great photo  - and you got some galaxies  - now I'm jealous.

OC.

Haha yea those 2 are always visible even with jus your eyes. There is a nice nebula in the big one called the tarantula nebula but I’m yet to try find it. I’ve got the mount and the telescope but waiting on the rings so I can attach them together... then I’ll have a 1200mm lens! If I can guide it accurately it should be fun!

Very nice pix of the various celestial bodies. And OC with a hand held camera or on a tripod?  I'm pretty familiar with many of them, since I was trained in celestial navigation for aircraft. Since GPS came along, not much need for it. Although I understand it still gets taught as a backup if the GPS constellation ever gets jammed.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Although I understand it still gets taught as a backup if the GPS constellation ever gets jammed.

I suspect it's not "if" but "when" with the way electronic warfare is going.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Very nice pix of the various celestial bodies. And OC with a hand held camera or on a tripod?  I'm pretty familiar with many of them, since I was trained in celestial navigation for aircraft. Since GPS came along, not much need for it. Although I understand it still gets taught as a backup if the GPS constellation ever gets jammed.

It would be really inconvenient if GPS isn’t available for navigation! Back to VORs and NDBs 🤣 but probably a high chance one day it may have to happen! 
Did you fly single pilot with celestial navigation? Surly it would be a full time job itself?