HMS Pegasus 1776 by Mirabell61 - FINISHED - scale 1:64 - 16-gun sloop

the academy kit is 1:400.....gonna be a fairly large build when I get to it  ;)   mass producing rope coils is fun....huh :)     ....and man!....you have a lot of them to do.  that jig will get them done in no time flat!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Really looking good, your attention to detail is amazing.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

I appreciate your nice comment Bob,

am glad that you like it

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

The rope loops look great Nils, especially all bunched together on the rail.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Jason and David,

thanks for your kind comments relating to the loops

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

Aha, Nils, after looking at your previous update I had started wondering about your technique for getting consistent and neat coils.  I assumed you used a jig, but I hadn't imagined such a sophisticated one.  Wow.  Do you brush the coils with diluted glue or anything?

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Thanks Martin,

the Loops get a thin viscosity CA secured knot at one side and are taken off the jig, put on the belaying pin by means of a Long tweezer, and there again secured with a Little CA drop.

The Loops on the Balustrade left and right of the belfry stool are knotted (short end of line was there left already) with a single knot, then secured with CA, the Surplus end after securing the knot is clipped off afterwards

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Amazing Nils, The detail work is stunning ( incredible to look at ) Fantastic work , you are a true craftsman

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Many thanks to you Pete,

I`m happy that you like the model at this build stage....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Lawrence,

Thank you for looking in and for your nice comment.

I`ll gladly answer your questions as follows.......

- fasten reef strops (pls. look into attached handscetch, trust it will be self explaining)

- "lttle guy" figurines. These are from Company Preiser (for "Bohuslän" 1:50, for "Gorch fock" and "Pamir" 1:87 train H0 scale, or 1:100 scale),

Source mostly Ebay or Amazon, these come already painted

- The "Pegasus" figurines are metal cast from your model hobby source, or from web-shops that sell appropriate maritime sailor figurines

The scale 1:64 figurines = 28mm hight are a bit too large, but there are better suitable ones with 25 mm hight (same scemes) available as well.

I am intending also to fit a couple of british 18th century marine soldiers on deck, I have them already in scale 1:64

All these for "Pegasus" have to be own hand painted first

Nils

post-3445-0-82096700-1432124810_thumb.jpg

There will be a knot on the sail frontside, and when pulled tight the rearside will be tight and selfblocking, it works well, I have practiced this on all sail reef strops

Secure the sail rearside with a small drop (toothpick) of CA where the strop-end comes through

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thats nice to hear Lawrence,

yes sometimes the Admiral come up with good ideas, once they understood what you are looking for. I experienced that already several times with success and explain to her what is required, like for example, if I´m looking for something (where the Basic shape could be suiting, a Little Tuning to be done), she knows where a shop is that sell something alike, if I can`t make it with my own Workshop capability.

If you Google "Preiser ships Crew figurines" you probably shall get a good overview of what "Little guys" are available

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

• 3 weeks later...

Build log part 89

here some impressions of the status,,.....

ready for rigging bracelines, bowlines, tacks, outer anchor cables

Nils

post-3445-0-28879100-1434098589_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-82866100-1434098594_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-78702600-1434098598_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-79708300-1434098603_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-32430200-1434098606_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-81662800-1434098559_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

absolutely beautiful Nils.......so much detail!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Thank you very much - Patrick - Martin -  Popeye,

and all the "likes"......

Patrick,

yes, its not far to go now, in the Moment ist hard to "let go" from the new Project, but I just have to sit down and care for Pegasus and groove myself in on it

Martin,

thanks for you appreciation, I`m quite proud of my sails, as they are all self-made, and I presume its the first scale 1:64 "Swan Class" under full set sails on MSW, as far as I know

Popeye,

nice comment, many thanks, glad you like it

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Martin,

thanks for you appreciation, I`m quite proud of my sails, as they are all self-made, and I presume its the first scale 1:64 "Swan Class" under full set sails on MSW, as far as I know

Nils

Nils the only piece of rigging you may have missed is the piece of twine the boson always carries in his pocket.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

Thanks Bob,

thats a good one, will have to keep it in mind... :D

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

• 2 months later...

Thank you very much Boyd,

I`m about to finalize My "Pegasus" soon, There`s not much go any more. The intension is to do it when the follower model "KWdG"  hull, which is well on the way, has been plated......

Nils

Here the present status of "HMS Pegasus" :

made a new, and larger white ensign on cloth of an old fine-structured handkerchief by ink printing / ironing methode,

when complete all square sails shall be braced to appr appr. 45° angle. The  main courses sheets and tack-lines as well as the bow-lines still need to be rigged. Also the spare spars resting on the gallows still have to be made, whereby the ships boat is already finished for mounting. Half of the anchors are done. Maybe also a securing rudder chain will be fitted

post-3445-0-66133600-1440924275_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-90072000-1440924277_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-61958300-1440924279_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-04009100-1440924282_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-41890000-1440924284_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-93879400-1440924286_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-62473000-1440924288_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Carl and Patrick,

thanks for you appreciative comments which are well appreciated....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

What a lovely lady, you've done a fine job.

bob

Hi Bob,

and thank you for your comment. I have to groove myself in a bit to finalize this "Swan Class" without interruptions by things going round in my head for the new ongoing project (KWdG)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

such a beautiful ship Nils..........so much you have put into her  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks for you nice words Denis

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thanks Crackers,

your Kind words are very much appreciated...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed