Just turned 60, have my two "I'll build these some day" kits, and my Dad gave me HIS two "I'll build these some day" kits - and I'm finally getting down to it

Greetings from (not always) sunny Oregon, USA.

I've always been a huge fan of square riggers and sailing, and even worked for many years as a Marine Technician on Oceanographic research ships.  As we can be prone to do, kits kept showing up but they never got started.  But in this interesting year plus of working from home (software development), I started working on my simplest kit (a very old AL Swift/1805) and actually accomplishing something this time.  The hull is all planked and I'm just finishing it (the hull) up before I move on to the "easy stuff".  I'm actually getting somewhere, thanks to this forum and the wonderful online videos available now days via YouTube ,etc. 

Kits in my "attic" right now include an 80's Artesania Latina Swift/1805 (in progress), AL Harvey 1847, AL Falcon, and a "way over my head at the time" Model Shipways Flying Cloud from 1980.  I will say that the Flying Cloud plans are just gorgeously drawn compared to what the others are.

Oh one of the best things with the kits I got from my Dad is the order receipt where he wrote, "Please send to my work address!!!" as I'm sure in 1980 he didn't want my Mom to know he'd spent $134.00 :)

I did actually do some ship models many years ago  when I was at sea.  Thread, toothpicks, scrap of pine, some paint, etc.  It was easy to pack a modelling kit without taking up a lot of space.  These were smaller models, made from scraps of pine, toothpicks, thread, etc.  Below are a few pictures of an early one...

IMG_0313.thumb.jpg.025b77d016db67a2badee9e7df10e2f9.jpgIMG_0314.thumb.jpg.7c0a92cbefa830d8cb87e03383ec81de.jpgIMG_0311.thumb.jpg.1152106c4b61e256c881bbbaabba5004.jpgIMG_0316.thumb.jpg.cef527dff6484b3fddeeaa9c58d15053.jpg

Edited by Tim Holt

Tim

Current Build:  Swift Pilot Boat 1805 (AL)

On Deck: Triton Cross Section, Harvey (AL), Falcon US Coast Guard (AL), Flying Fish (Model Shipways)

Welcome to MSW, Tim, from a fellow Oregonian.   Do give some thought to opening a build log on your Swift as it's the best way to get help and make friends.   With the effort you put into the model pictured, you're on your way to more complex ones.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Tim,

As for being a lower located western Washingtonian I greet you warmly to our forum.

Glad to read you have some ships in your yard to be built. 

I do recommend to step up from the AL brand, once your are done.

Please look into our "in-house-designers"..... as they provide high quality products not to be found anywhere else. 

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

:piratebo5:and welcome to MSW!

Your toothpick and thread model is amazing, and with that one under your belt, you'll do great with your others! Enjoy 😉

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

:piratebo5:

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

18 hours ago, Edwardkenway said:

:piratebo5:and welcome to MSW!

Your toothpick and thread model is amazing, and with that one under your belt, you'll do great with your others! Enjoy 😉

Hey and that was made in the 80's while working on a ship with a cigar box for my supplies and tools!  Now I've got the internet, nice tools, and even a Luxo magnifying lamp on my work bench ;)  That and don't have to wedge my knees up under the desk so I stay steady while the world doesn't stay steady.

I can definitely see that these old AL kits from the 80's are not so great compared to what there is now.  A lot of it with them at this time is obligation - for myself for the many years I've had them, and for the fact my Dad passed them on to me.

The Swift is coming along pretty well, and per the earlier suggestion I suppose I should start a build thread on it.  I've been redoing a few things with it from scratch, and have been thinking about modifying the deck to match the style of the OcCre Polaris, which looks for all the world like a better Swift. 

Edited by Tim Holt

Tim

Current Build:  Swift Pilot Boat 1805 (AL)

On Deck: Triton Cross Section, Harvey (AL), Falcon US Coast Guard (AL), Flying Fish (Model Shipways)

Welcome to modelship world. I'd reccommend getting right to work on those kits. Try not to be distracted by other kits that come up,although thats much easier said than done. The next 15-20 years will pass in a flash. I'm 75 so I know about the passing of time. Have fun,do your research , and gitter dun. Bill

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

Welcome Tim!    I agree with others - the toothpick, scrap wood, and thread model in your photos is really good - because it was fashioned by hand from just basic materials available it has distinct presence and real magnetism!   And a very warm welcome to you, you are in good company here!

My Current Builds:

The USS Maine - 1/72 3D printed Armored Cruiser (1889) USS OlympiaUSS TexasUSS New York, HSwMS TapperhetenCerbere 

Ships I am currently designing or have completed in Fusion 360:

German: SMS ScharnhorstSMS Kaiser Sweden: Svea, Gota, & Thule (both early and later versions), Flygia

France: French battleship Charles MartelDupuy de Lôme, Faucon (aviso), United States: USS Katahdin (1894) Ram ship, USS Monteray USS Oregon Japan: Mikasa, Fuso Russia: Izumrud, Novgorod Spain: Pelayo Great Britian: Turbinia (1894) - First ship with Steam TurbineHMS Edinburgh (1882) DenmarkTordenskjold

Ships I intend on designing & building in the future:

French JauréguiberryMassena Bouvet United StatesUSS Virginia USS Brooklyn, USS Minneapolis USS Ericsson
Russian:  Rossiya Peresvet Bayan SlavaTsesarevich 
BrazilRiachuelo SpainEmparador Carlos V

Welcome!  I'll be joining you in the rain in a few months. Currently in Idaho, and moving to Salem "ish" area for a new job.

Looking forward to your Swift log.  If you are redoing sections of the older kits with higher quality wood, they should come out great.

Alan