Roman Quadrireme Galley by Ian_Grant - 1/32 Scale - RADIO

Not to mention it's a great way of getting them interested in 3D printing and CAD design. I'd probably be using it as well if I had easy access like that. 

Here is the equipment they have available. They have plans to add more. It's great for me as I can walk to that branch in just under 30 minutes.

Regarding those kids; they might have been 12 or 13 not 10. It's hard for me to guess now, in relative dotage to them.

https://biblioottawalibrary.ca/en/imagine-space

Edited by Ian_Grant

Impressive. I wouldn’t be surprised if the kids were 10 or 11, my daughter was using laser cutting at school at age 11.

ach....3d printing......if i only had the brains .....if i only had the bucks........hah...even if i had them....too old now .......if i could, i would build a 10ft. r/c model of hms prince 😁

such a wonderful job you're doing on this ship.......immaculate, compared to my trial and error type building.......you must have wonderful tools and workshop along with your inspired intelligence.........  

on ww-1 model r/c aircraft, recordings are available of various eg. real rotary engines looped, to place in the model......you could have a recording of the grunts and groanes accompanying the beating drum or anvil or whatever on your ship..and maybe add a piercing scream now and then ...funny how we so often can laugh at adversity....to me, it's proof of life after death 😀............would be a piece of cake for you ....congrats!!..........vic

Edited by yancovitch

Funny you should mention sound, Vic. Just last night I was at the local RC boat club's annual auction and one of the boats up for grabs had a sound recording of a marine diesel running. Maybe I could have background noise and shouts in Latin.

Speaking of the auction, it was ridiculous. Fast electric boats with brushless water-cooled motors and 100A water-cooled ECSs going for - wait for it - two dollars!

One chap scored two Spektrum transmitters, one 5 and one 6 channel, for five bucks. I wasn't in the market for anything there except I did buy a plan for the SS Klondike, a stern paddle wheeler that I actually walked around on in Whitehorse this past summer. Might be interesting to build an RC paddle-wheeler although I was thinking about maybe the Great Eastern, ....maybe.....?

Edited by Ian_Grant

2 hours ago, Ian_Grant said:

Maybe I could have background noise and shouts in Latin.

"nice die ad navem iter" perhaps? I originally thought of something more salty, but discretion and all that....

Vic, never too old and it doesn't take brains. And as Ian is demonstrating, it doesn't even necessarily take money.

5 hours ago, Kevin-the-lubber said:

"nice die ad navem iter" perhaps? I originally thought of something more salty, but discretion and all that....

Vic, never too old and it doesn't take brains. And as Ian is demonstrating, it doesn't even necessarily take money.

Wow, that's really family-friendly! Ha Ha!  I was thinking more along the lines of "ordo, filii canino!".  Err, the translator doesn't translate back to the same English from the Latin??!! 

English "Row, you sons of bit***s"  >>>>>> "Ordo, filii canino" >>>>>> "order, the children of the dog". :o

No wonder it is difficult to construe Latin. Glad I never had to take it.

Edited by Ian_Grant

Milestone - got a piece of deck glued on!

Beforehand, added fixed ballast in the form of lead shot in bilge compartments, covered/mixed with epoxy resin. I put 3/4 of what was needed in the bow in the last water test. Will finalize fixed ballast at the end of the build. Some ballast will be in shiftable packets in bilge compartments in the engine room. The bow ballast is much lower than in the pool tests, where the packets were too big to slip into these spaces and so sat high up. Stability should be better now.

Fixed ballast covered in epoxy:

PC050336.thumb.JPG.b5e0adfb1e5975a9826b63e3d96967f1.JPG

Then I added a couple of sticks of wood to form a little cradle for the Arduino, under the shelter of the fixed portion of the foredeck. This fixed part is needed as far back as the bitts for the artemon. That piece of ply on the port side provides solid mounting for the bitts, which will be offset because the artemon passes by the stem on its port side.

PC050337.thumb.JPG.6349d0b04f4f204f0de27a2813ca982b.JPG

Then added the foredeck and forward access hatch. Just a flat deck, KISS.  I've made the laser files to etch the greatest portion of the deck, 30" long, which covers the engine room but sadly I couldn't get a laser booking before Tuesday. People must be busy making stuff for Christmas. In the meantime I need to make the frame of beams this large deck will be glued to. Oh, I also drew the rudder to 3D print. I will do a first test print in white so as not to waste precious transparent filament.

PC070339.thumb.JPG.0a6eff6ef7c30622e569ffad375bd0d8.JPG

PC070340.thumb.JPG.b2ce9653ffd0a959c37d56d589b1db89.JPG

Looking good. The upright stick marks where the mast will be; I'm planning my deck furniture. Made a CAD drawing to 3D print some hatch gratings, and also laser etch files for four walls and a platform for the archery tower which will sit between the boarding gaps and the mast.

PC070341.thumb.JPG.be6ad993a0e733cf039d82e051dc64c2.JPG

PC070342.thumb.JPG.d5e9391d4edc92378be5ead6045c7100.JPG

6 minutes ago, yancovitch said:

super.....how much does it weigh?

Hi Vic!

Too much!  At the start of the hull buiId, I overestimated the weight of the hull and mechanisms and electronics, then designed a full bilge to handle that displacement. It turned out less than estimated so I had to add ballast to make up the difference. I'd have to look back in the log but I think the ballasted weight for correct waterline came to 24-25 lbs. Not easy to carry with all the oars projecting!

ouch....get those pushups going!!......that's why i thought of an external ballast,  where also, the lower center of gravity insures that less weight is needed to stabilize the ship....but i was mainly thinking about your arms and back 😁......1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8   1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8---................ha, fold up oars could be possible, where little sleaves pull back to let the hinged oars go vertical 😁....ha....my 8 foot couronne only weighed 35-40lbs without ballast.....really will enjoy watching this one...............

Edited by yancovitch

On 12/7/2023 at 1:38 PM, Ian_Grant said:

Might be interesting to build an RC paddle-wheeler although I was thinking about maybe the Great Eastern, ....maybe.....?

That would be awesome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Schreiber-Bogen makes a card kit of the Great Eastern in 1/200 scale.

It retails at Fentens Paper Models for about 40 €.

https://www.papermodel.com/272449-great-eastern.html

Card kits can make great sources of plans and are infinitely scalable.

I have bought many of them over the last couple of years for that reason.

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

22 minutes ago, GrandpaPhil said:

Schreiber-Bogen makes a card kit of the Great Eastern in 1/200 scale.

It retails at Fentens Paper Models for about 40 €.

https://www.papermodel.com/272449-great-eastern.html

Card kits can make great sources of plans and are infinitely scalable.

I have bought many of them over the last couple of years for that reason.

Thanks Phil!  I looked around just earlier tonight. National Maritime Museums Greenwich has a lines plan about 2m long (!).  There are also a side elevation and some deck elevations at the Science Museum UK. What they lack is an athwartships elevation showing the deck cabins which appear to be of an unusual design I can't quite make out. Also, Model Boats Dec 2008 issue has a model of the ship, if I can find it. Revell also has/had a kit, but pricey.

But first, let's get this galley completed!

More progress shots.

Framing for the major part of the deck, and laser-cut pieces for the bulwark. Smaller panels will be on the inside; larger outside panels will have the shield motifs.

The beams on the aft half are spaced to allow regularly spaced ventilation hatches. There will be two access ladders to below decks; one between the tower and the mast, the other at the back of the main deck section.

PC160344.thumb.JPG.e411e123d1986ec6b521cf7c7f9d62f5.JPG

Just finished cutting aft deck from template. It's not glued down since the aft access hatch isn't yet cut so it's bulging a bit. Thinking of adding a little brass tube before I do glue it, to lead wires (disguised as rope) from possible "flickering LED" lantern hanging from stern fantail decoration through the deck to where I can access them inside through the hatch. Could hide the tube using the commander's cabin. Scrap blocks are supporting the unglued bulwarks.

PC210347.thumb.JPG.edbe56ea9e8daabae4970fb78fce34e2.JPG

Side view looking good........pardon the two-tone bulwark frames - cutter can only do 24" and I used long cherry and short maple cutoffs I had lying around. I threw on my alpha prototype ram. Haven't glued the new 4-piece print together yet.

PC210346.thumb.JPG.828624c5eba168c9030d1cc4b57ef1ba.JPG

Assembled the laser-cut pieces of the archery tower. I etched "stonework" on the outside for painting effect.

Will 3d-print a ladder for inside.

PC210348.thumb.JPG.0037eb08ea83c8aef913ba33565bfe8d.JPG

A bow shot. The hull is painted with epoxy resin up to the 2nd trim. Eager to start painting!

PC210345.thumb.JPG.71b24db468e012e3c4ddc54800f528e6.JPG

Found 3d-file for a Scorpion I like better than the first ballista. File set only cost me $3. It looks like this:

New-Scorpion-Paint-Picture.jpg.1d1257dd28b7df33b88b64011274f466.jpg

As compared to the stage I had reached in TinkerCAD:

my-tinkercad-scorpion.jpg.f96cd0846d078f533e744d3988f7148d.jpg

Not sure how much time I will have for modelling over the Christmas holiday.

Merry Christmas to all!  Thanks for following.

Edited by Ian_Grant

Your model is looking great Ian; and if I may use a superlative in the most sincere way 'outstanding'.  Have a great Christmas and looking forward to her progress in the new year.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Work slowed over the Christmas holidays but I've begun painting some bits. Decorated outside walls of the steering platforms, one side of each main bulwark, and the ventilation panels. The blue panels are the outboard sides of the bulwark. With two primer coats and two colour coats it's a slow process.

P1030350.thumb.JPG.bddfc0db7b84f0ad8e214c15c748961c.JPG

Made a moulding for the tower from evergreen; one strip and one half-round.

P1030351.thumb.JPG.6555d209faed97392b5218f595f54bbb.JPG

Glued together "ram 2.0".  It's nice and crisp compared to the ram 1.0 which was printed in one piece.

P1030353.thumb.JPG.7fb70fc1f3f5b4af1602555ca4c8f1fe.JPG

Gluing on the after fixed deck. You can never have too many clamps. Marcus approves!

PC250349.thumb.JPG.0964f210f5bf7feca058c429854f11dc.JPG

Lastly, epoxy-resined the bottoms of the three lift-off deck pieces. Main one is staying clamped flat until I get to varnishing the upper surface.

P1030352.thumb.JPG.cbec242000c774da73ee48aa2708d3ea.JPG

Next steps are painting the other sides of the two main bulwarks and gluing them to the main lift-off deck. Then I can varnish all the decks and finally work on the inner faces of the bow and stern bulwarks. Also need to paint the backers for the ventilation black before gluing on the white ventilation strips.

If anyone is interested I am getting decorating inspiration from Flavio Terenzi's magnificent "La Nave Romana"  quinquireme model, seen here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuYBk0znbB8&list=PLN8dHnRD0y61NWWulgdXo7fMLYSnjZ943&index=11

Edited by Ian_Grant

The model is looking good Ian, some great progress.  You need a Roman Centurian guard?  They  must be pretty good clamps ;) :) BTW that figurine looks great.

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Posted (edited)

OK so I got the bulwarks glued down to the main deck section, and varnished all decks/outrigger tops/steering platform decks with Minwax exterior diamond finish. It gave a very nice finish, but it's more like a regularly polished dance floor than a ship's deck. Also, the grain of the ply surface became more visible so you can see it continuing across planks. I'll need to experiment with some washes to disguise and age it a little. Not too much because I don't want to have to age all the paintwork too.

I spent some time today 3D printing at the library. Here is a ladder for under the archery tower hatchway, leaning on the outside for now. Pretty simple to draw and less than one hour to print, with a final cost to me of 64 cents. Tower exterior is white primer. Marcus enjoys the view.

P1090359.thumb.JPG.4952352de537f5e2871857fa7d4f8b44.JPG

I also did a trial print of the eagle for the bow. This was a bit tricky as I had to edit the bird in TinkerCAD to spread its wings more out to the side to match the angles at the bow. TinkerCAD is a bit limited, but so too is my CAD knowledge. I managed to break off all its talons trying to cut off all the printer supports, plus the beak is a bit lumpy due to the PLA printing process and resolution. Should I decide to go ahead with this it will need to be resin printed to give clean details.

P1090354.thumb.JPG.70dadb933acac1a7cea874d4117d813d.JPG

P1090355.thumb.JPG.4156ec2484fea92d648cc93ff7565596.JPG

P1090358.thumb.JPG.53583945e449d8d06ad11e9fafccd173.JPG

P1090357.JPG

Edited by Ian_Grant