DKM Gneisenau by king derelict - FINISHED - Flyhawk - 1/700 - PLASTIC

Splended work.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

1 hour ago, Old Collingwood said:

Splended work.

OC.

Thank you OC. Sometimes it feels like I'm flailing around in this build without achieving much; there is just so much to this kit. Huge parts count, wooden decks, lots of PE and a real exercise in working out the build sequence. Anyway its supposed to be fun not a time and motion study.

Alan

25 minutes ago, king derelict said:

Thank you OC. Sometimes it feels like I'm flailing around in this build without achieving much; there is just so much to this kit. Huge parts count, wooden decks, lots of PE and a real exercise in working out the build sequence. Anyway its supposed to be fun not a time and motion study.

Alan

I actually enjoy the building more than the completion  - I get very sad  when I finish a build as it just gets put in the display case and forgotten about,  that's why I don't rush mine and only spend a couple of hours on mine each day.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

23 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

I actually enjoy the building more than the completion  - I get very sad  when I finish a build as it just gets put in the display case and forgotten about,  that's why I don't rush mine and only spend a couple of hours on mine each day.

OC.

OC

I completely agree with you. The enjoyment is seeing the model come together and feeling good about how it looks as each stage is worked on. This has been a bit overwhelming to start with just because its so big but I am enjoying taking each element and working on it and I really don't worry about when it will be completed. Its the journey and not the destination. I still get a big kick from seeing a nicely folded piece of PE installed and thinking how good it looks.

As you say then it gets stuck in a display case and I'm finding it a challenge to find space for them. 

This build has taught me a lot about working on bigger models and I think I will be more confident with the Hood and Prince of Wales

I always seem to get caught up in other stuff on Saturdays but I did manage to sneak off to the work table and start adding the wooden deck. The deck is by Flyhawk and is a very nice fit so far. I got the main decks installed and started on some of the minor pieces. The colour is quite subdued so I don't think I will weather it; it already has a slight grey to the colour and looks worn. It may be thin enough to be taking some colour from the grey plastic below it. 

Alan

517045681_RIMG0030(1280x720).jpg.1d88135e37537153b788dbcc3aa9ed35.jpg344442818_RIMG0031(1280x720).jpg.e532d8e81363214c7dce6908dd38575a.jpg

Back in Tiny World today!

With the wooden decks installed I built up some of the lower superstructure so I have a platform to add the details. There are also a lot of PE items like ladders that cross down onto the main decks and I think the railings are easier to fit and less susceptible to hanlding damage; we shall see.

55652226_RIMG0036(1280x720).jpg.78529769b2b534512a6cb979c15b9064.jpg

I fitted the inclined ladders from the derricks down to the main deck. I had trouble with the earlier inclined ladders that thread down through openings in the deck and this deck has the wooden layer too. It belatedly occurred to me that it would be simpler to thread the top of the ladder up from below and indeed it was. I see the railing at the intermediate landing needs a tweak in the morning. 

RIMG0038.thumb.JPG.9468dda50fd18636b24746a0e74287ed.JPG

Lots more PE now around all the structures. Its going to start getting a bit delicate.

13758561_RIMG0040(1280x720).jpg.0aab080ab31b26c597e24f87ad047cd4.jpg

I built the first of the boat racks seen below in progress. It is very fragile and i felt I had used up my breath control and fine motor skills for the day and left the second one for tomorrow. It does look nice though and in spite of the fiddly nature of the PE details I really enjoy working with it because I like the way the detail pops on the model.

1360234187_RIMG0034(1280x720).jpg.f23d205ed5af8738354e2beb64d39fa3.jpg

Thanks for looking

Alan

RIMG0039 (1280x720).jpg

Excellent work Alan  - its a pleasure to watch mate.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

40 minutes ago, king derelict said:

Thank you OC. That's very kind. I'm enjoying it a lot. The Hood is going to be really interesting.  The kit should be here soon I think. I see it advertised as arriving at US stores soon.

Alan

Mine is still tracking in China  - wow its been a long journey  so far mine about Theree months?

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

6 hours ago, CDW said:

Alan

I am slipping....Just now found your Gneisenau build thread, so I have some catching up to do! Looks great!

One little thing I see that's different from the Scharnhorst kit is the handrails on the main turrets. Scharnhorst has none. Other than that, I have not see a difference.

Craig

Thanks for the comments. This is a much bigger project than Penelope but I'm enjoying immensely. I think there are parts top build either Geisenau or Scharnhorst in the box but I haven't worked out which bits will be left at the end. I think some of the secondary guns may be different calibre. I have some plastic barrels which are not used.

Alan

6 hours ago, CDW said:

Alan

I am slipping....Just now found your Gneisenau build thread, so I have some catching up to do! Looks great!

One little thing I see that's different from the Scharnhorst kit is the handrails on the main turrets. Scharnhorst has none. Other than that, I have not see a difference.

Good timing on the fishing trip. It looks like being a dirty weekend of weather this week

The Geisenau build progresses but it isn't always very visible as I spend hours attaching what seems to be a small number of tiny PE parts. The structures are growing up though and ladders and railings are being added. 

111783448_RIMG0046(1280x603).jpg.6faea7d9e812b32e00d1bafd5b5ba20b.jpg

Really starting to show off the sleek lines of this ship

1539312819_RIMG0048(1078x1280).thumb.jpg.7af8eded89228d4440fa17a843076330.jpg

RIMG0048.thumb.JPG.51ec0318a02f3de7903f897fbc501d27.JPG

A lot of railings in my future this week. Touching up of the light grey will have to wait until new paint arrives next week. I took the opportunity of ordering a bottle of the Mig One Shot black primer reccommended by Craig (CDW) while I was placing an order. It will probably get its debut on the Hood - as we all wait for our Hood kit to drop on the mat.

Thanks for looking

Alan

8 minutes ago, king derelict said:

Good timing on the fishing trip. It looks like being a dirty weekend of weather this week

Came through some torrential rain on the car ride back home after the fishing trip. It was beautiful all day out in the Gulf. Could not have asked for a nicer day. Fishing was real good, too. Gag Grouper must be 24 inches or longer, I caught three that were fractions of an inch too short. But man, it was a good fight. Caught five smaller keepers called Grunts. Between us all, we caught about 25 fish so the kids all took some home for supper. 

2 minutes ago, CDW said:

Came through some torrential rain on the car ride back home after the fishing trip. It was beautiful all day out in the Gulf. Could not have asked for a nicer day. Fishing was real good, too. Gag Grouper must be 24 inches or longer, I caught three that were fractions of an inch too short. But man, it was a good fight. Caught five smaller keepers called Grunts. Between us all, we caught about 25 fish so the kids all took some home for supper. 

That sounds like a great day out. The sea was churned and silty on this side today with very poor visibility

Alan

1 hour ago, CDW said:

Fish and Chips on you then Craig,   glad  you had a great day out mate.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Your progress is looking amazing  Alan  and those  tiny  little ladders  - I used to  struggle to bend  1/350 scale ones.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Looks great Alan.  So much detail in the superstructure which is probably only 1.5” high at the most?  Great work!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

21 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Your progress is looking amazing  Alan  and those  tiny  little ladders  - I used to  struggle to bend  1/350 scale ones.

OC.

Thank you for the encouraging words OC. I needed them today. It was a tough PE day.

Alan

8 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Looks great Alan.  So much detail in the superstructure which is probably only 1.5” high at the most?  Great work!

Thank you Mike. Very kind comments. Flyhawk almost overdo the PE sometimes. I find myself struggling with parts that probabl;y don't really enhance the model too much. But the challenge makes it interesting.

Alan

Today was spent deep in the world of PE. I made and fitted the bridge wings. With the bending tool it went quite easily. 377550985_RIMG0060(1280x720).jpg.35f456bdb39d694a134aea28264927c8.jpg

The brass masts are interesting. Flyhawk doesn't just provide brass rod for the masts. The pieces are turned. The masts taper and there are rings on the yards. The mast is a two part piece just to make life interesting with a tiny locating peg on one piece and a corresponding hole in the other. I used the plastic mast (which is quite nice but doesn't compare to the brass one) t set the locations of the yards.

RIMG0053.thumb.JPG.fff2446a4677f1a8896352888f6129cc.JPG

The rest of the day was spent getting frustrated with these pieces.

RIMG0055.thumb.JPG.838625ea07c1199f1df1825fb2d6c7b4.JPG

They make up small underhanging platforms under the bridge structure. There are four of them. The "Y" shape threads into the slot in the larger piece and forms some of the structure. The main piece is easy to fold but it goes downhill from there. Adding the Y piece was very difficult both to place and glue. I made a lot of repeat attempts and called it a day with only two fitted. My eyes were beginning to cross attempting to position the Y structures. Tomorrow i another opportunity. They can just be seen above the gun mount.

1519009619_RIMG0057(1280x720).jpg.0b85b8c129222072ec0edc09d461597b.jpg

Thanks for looking in.

Alan

Just now, king derelict said:

Yep, the No Touch zone is expanding. I just hope I can remember that

There are a number of ways one could tackle the construction sequence of these models. I chose to paint much of it before I assembled it, then touched up where I needed to. It was in the process of assembling after the paint when I smashed mine. You are going about yours in a different way and I am interested to see how you finish it. You are building yours first, then painting afterward. You might avoid some of the destruction I did when assembling mine. I am enjoying your approach to it.

Really nice progress  - I am so enjoying your trip into "little land"    its a credit to you and Craig and others who tackle these amazing kits.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Those masts are really nice.  In a lot of the upgrade sets from places like Five Star, etc., the sets are very detailed but usually don’t include brass mast replacements so you’re stuck with the out of scale plastic.  Infini and others do sell brass masts, but good to see that they were included in your set.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

22 hours ago, CDW said:

There are a number of ways one could tackle the construction sequence of these models. I chose to paint much of it before I assembled it, then touched up where I needed to. It was in the process of assembling after the paint when I smashed mine. You are going about yours in a different way and I am interested to see how you finish it. You are building yours first, then painting afterward. You might avoid some of the destruction I did when assembling mine. I am enjoying your approach to it.

I think its a skill to be able to work out the sequences and sub assemblies that allow the most efficient and best access for painting and detailing a ship model. I used to think there was a strict formula for it but I'm increasingly of the view that there are almost infinite options depending on techniques and preferences. This time I tried to9 paint the basic structures and hull and then refine it as I add the detail. I suspect I'm going to find myself in a corner at some point but I think with a complex model like this one that might be inevitable however you plan it out. I completely forgot to paint the masts during the major painting sessions but I expected I would overlook a few things. The boats will need work at some point too.

Alan

22 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Really nice progress  - I am so enjoying your trip into "little land"    its a credit to you and Craig and others who tackle these amazing kits.

OC.

Thank you for the compliment OC. I hope Craig and others don't feel offended by having me lumped with their masterful efforts. 😄. I really enjoying the 1/700 scale ships

Alan