DKM Gneisenau by king derelict - FINISHED - Flyhawk - 1/700 - PLASTIC

The swastikas were completed on the ensigns and the staffs added to the deck. I used the PE stays but felt the staffs were too flat looking and used the plastic ones. The railings were finished and I did some basic shading on the hull and rusting around the anchor hawse and lower portholes. I'm still learning the techniques and am keeping it simple and not too excessive. Its easy to swamp a 1/700 model.

I need to make a light box for better photos for the next model.

176549265_RIMG0150(1280x720).jpg.daee0ddfaeee660bbe137573e7bd52dc.jpg

1953169767_RIMG0152(1280x720).jpg.93eff8dd716d245ce326c16a1332a8b2.jpg

277418694_RIMG0155(1280x720).jpg.8a3e11315a1a8080a6fdbf05f399461d.jpg

2097754413_RIMG0154(720x1280).thumb.jpg.1ae9ab41913b0513ba07796c4f881772.jpg

1807078453_RIMG0160(1280x720).jpg.a68bf135d309e4c51b89a7162bd4c5cf.jpg

169439427_RIMG0159(1280x720).jpg.28abcf9459d9fcf3b44714f68d9da983.jpg

1362030876_RIMG0158(1280x720).jpg.a869bfd68b7659269ccff65cad994da5.jpg

1264962921_RIMG0157(1280x720).jpg.52cb9f6272155ac8b895c8211fbdf16f.jpg

Thanks for looking in and all the helpful and kind comments throughout the build. I think this is complete. I don't want to risk rigging and ruining the result. Maybe on a simpler model 

Thanks

Alan

RIMG0156 (1280x720).jpg

Looks great from here, Alan.  I really can't mentally wrap my mind around such small models with that level of detail..

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

She's a beauty Alan. You are really coming on strong with your modeling skills! Keep up the good work, I always enjoy following your build threads.

The $1 foam boards with $1 battery powered LED lights found at the Dollar Tree makes great photo boxes, cheap. Quick and easy. Last time, I wanted to find a light blue pastel foam board but could only get the white ones. Now I have a black one and a white one, but still want the light pastel blue, even if I have to paste on pastel blue paper over the foam. 

Really nice  work Alan  - Well done finishing her  - onwards and upwards  with your next build.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

20 hours ago, CDW said:

She's a beauty Alan. You are really coming on strong with your modeling skills! Keep up the good work, I always enjoy following your build threads.

The $1 foam boards with $1 battery powered LED lights found at the Dollar Tree makes great photo boxes, cheap. Quick and easy. Last time, I wanted to find a light blue pastel foam board but could only get the white ones. Now I have a black one and a white one, but still want the light pastel blue, even if I have to paste on pastel blue paper over the foam. 

Thank you Craig, praise from the experts is something to treasure. I plan to look into our Dollar Tree tomorrow and grab some material for a photo box. 

I got the Masters brush cleaner today and gave my old brushes the "restoring" treatment to see if it helps get a point back.

Alan

2 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Really nice  work Alan  - Well done finishing her  - onwards and upwards  with your next build.

OC.

Thanks OC. I appreciate the positive support. This has been my biggest and most complicated kit to date and I thought it might be too much at my skill level but I have learnt a lot and enjoyed it immensely. I need to be tidier and I want to try some basic rigging but there was just too much fragile stuff around on this one to risk experimenting.

Alan

57 minutes ago, king derelict said:

Thank you Craig, praise from the experts is something to treasure. I plan to look into our Dollar Tree tomorrow and grab some material for a photo box. 

I got the Masters brush cleaner today and gave my old brushes the "restoring" treatment to see if it helps get a point back.

Alan

So what do you think of the Master's brush cleaner so far? I wondered how long it will last and do you first take most of the paint off the brush on a paper napkin before dipping it in the cleaning solution? I ordered some as well. Should be here tomorrow. Want to eventually acquire some good quality brushes but want to learn to take care of them first or else it's a waste of money.

It's a hard block inside the jar so I think it's going to last a long time. I rough cleaned the brushes with water  to get most of the paint off, wiped them on a paper towel and  then wiped them on the surface of the block until I got a lather and then shaped them with my fingers to make a point. I think it will be a good routine to get into.

Alan

47 minutes ago, king derelict said:

It's a hard block inside the jar so I think it's going to last a long time. I rough cleaned the brushes with water  to get most of the paint off, wiped them on a paper towel and  then wiped them on the surface of the block until I got a lather and then shaped them with my fingers to make a point. I think it will be a good routine to get into.

Alan

I noticed the women assembling the Sable brushes in the video I posted actually used their own spittle to put a point on the brush. Did you see that? Don't think I would want to go that far, but it was interesting to see that's the way they did it in the factory.

3 minutes ago, CDW said:

I noticed the women assembling the Sable brushes in the video I posted actually used their own spittle to put a point on the brush. Did you see that? Don't think I would want to go that far, but it was interesting to see that's the way they did it in the factory.

I've seen more than few artists do that also.. usually with water colors.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I do exactly that with my brushes and Masters  - first wipe most of the paint of  your brush till it looks paint free, then  soak the brush in clean  water  (I use pre boiled thats gone cold)  then rub the brush around in the masters tub  lathering it up  -  you will probably see some paint residue come off into the lather,   wipe most  of the soap on the lip of the master tub  the into the water again removing any soap on the brush   - I tend do it a couple of times to make sure all the paint has completley gone from the hairs and ferule,  then just  cloth dry and put the cover over the end of the brush  - thats it.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Great looking model Alan. Like Mark I find it hard to grasp that in real life this is such a tiny model. Congratulations. 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Really amazing work Alan.  Congratulations!

I don't know how complicated the rigging is on the Gneisenau, but it wasn't too bad on my 1/700 destroyer (though, it's certainly a simpler ship).  The elastic rigging lines that are out there these days make things very easy.  Anchor one end with CA, then anchor the other with a drop of CA, and cut the tails.  The elasticity is nice as you can change how taut the line is.  If I remember correctly, many of the products out there can stretch an additional 1/3 or more of the length of the line.  

Lots of products out there - Infini, EZ-Line, Uschi, Modelkasten, QW Model, etc.  I used QW's product on my destroyer which was the thinnest I had on hand at 0.047mm.  You can probably go bigger with your subject.

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)