HNLMS Tijger 1868 by ccoyle - FINISHED - Paper Shipwright - 1/250 - Dutch Heiligerlee-class monitor - CARD

14 minutes ago, VTHokiEE said:

and teeny lanterns I believe?

Yep, masthead lights. The bridge navigation lights will wait until the railings are done. The ensign probably should've waited until then, too, but I couldn't resist.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht

Construction continues with the railings. All of the railings are made using the kit-supplied template, but they must be made in three separate sets: superstructure, deck, and turret. We begin with the forward superstructure and bridge.

tijger21.thumb.jpg.e0e47a86a1d259a307d58c8c91cf23a4.jpg

The railing are made from quilting thread, glued with dilute white glue, stiffened with several coats of matte clear spray, and finally painted, trimmed, and glued to the model. I just now noticed a bent stanchion in the photo, which can easily be fixed, because the finished railings are still a little "bendy" and can be manipulated a bit with tweezers.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Railings continue.

Here's a shot of a set of railings wound on the template. If you look closely, you'll notice that there are three rows of railings printed on each side (representing a starboard set and port set) of the opening; each of these represents one set -- deck, superstructure, and turret. This is the deck set -- notice that the wound thread on top of the template crosses the printed stanchions of the railings closest to the opening.

tijger22.thumb.jpg.7e7f3722c1ab61ce877f5a44f7a203bd.jpg

And some more railings on the model since the last update: aft superstructure, turret, and starboard deck (plus one pair of davits as a bonus).

tijger23.thumb.jpg.00e99c80f90ac7db9dba6fb0d58de801.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

And done! A few last bits of railing, a half-dozen davits, the catwalk between the turret and bridge, and a couple of bridge navigation lights constituted the final tasks. I bought a small display case from Hobby Lobby -- the kind used for 1/18 scale collectible cars -- and am going to create a base using the blue cloth seen in the photos. I'll post a pic to show how it turned out.

tijger25.thumb.jpg.4bd403f549b7d0f6a3dfa08d0eb5026a.jpg

tijger26.thumb.jpg.0907b55e957017798b2c112e1d0e2e65.jpg

tijger24.thumb.jpg.1b342759062bf84ccb6d84893b4a9514.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Looks great! I’m looking forward to seeing the display when you finish.

Be careful at this rate you’re going to burn through your model stash and need another 1:1 build 😁.

1 hour ago, VTHokiEE said:

Be careful at this rate you’re going to burn through your model stash

I do like the fact that these little monitors can be built quickly, but have no fear -- I have plenty of kits left!

And here's my display-built-on-the-cheap.

tijger27.thumb.jpg.ed56fde26530eee2531afe10fb3ab5f4.jpg

And with that, this build is well and truly over. Thanks for peeking in, and see you on the next project!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Lovely work, Chris.  And the display looks great.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thukydides, we have some marvelous paper modelers here.  Just do a keyword search (upper right hand corner of the page) and use "paper" and select "Topics" in the dropdown for your search.  You'll see not only paper kits but also paper scratch builds.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

On 8/19/2021 at 5:58 PM, ccoyle said:

Many, if not most or even all, warships have redundant steering systems in case one is put out of commission during an action. I'd bet dollars to donuts that Tijger has an internal steering station somewhere.

I checked on the navy-drawings: you loose.

There is no internal backup system, and what you see is the main steering system (and nog the backup). At refit, they moved the wheel a bit more formward (and chanched it to a double wheel: you can see it in the pic I posted).

But it didn't matter too much: these ships where not designed to engage in battle: they were used in the river-mouths, where the guns of the coastal batteries couldn't reach. They were manouvred in place, anchored, and 'cleared for battle'. No steering required. 

The concept was never tested in actual battle, it was mainly a paper concept, designed at the ministry of warfare.....

and: your model turned out very nice!

Jan

Edited by amateur

Neat build of the monitor, Chris. And a very nice display.Well done.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

that turned out very nice indeed

• 2 weeks later...

Very cool build!  Well done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me