Erycina by James H - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Plymouth Ketch-Rigged Trawler - protoype build

15 hours ago, chris watton said:

There is certainly more to these than the Fifie and Zulu, even the diminutive Nisha has already surpassed those in page count for the main manual, and have not even finished that yet!

Just because they're smaller doesn't mean they have less fidelity of detail, and because they may attract more beginners also doesn't mean corners being cut to keep prices down (the market is already awash with such products). They will not be the cheapest 'first or second kit' on the market, but I bet most will enjoy building them and, more importantly, finish them, before giving up in frustration. This is why everything is so important, from the materials and fit of parts, to the very important manual.

Love what Jim has done with the livery of these!

What a truly great philosophy.  I'm new to this, but my attitude is basically, I'm going to be investing hundreds of hours into building this model. The relative cost of the kit is insignificant compared to the man hours in producing a finished product. The last thing I want is the manufacturer cutting corners to save cost. That helps no one.

The thing I really appreciate is the way you adapt your design and construction to help the builder.

This is Demings wheel in action.

Bloody well done.

The details are great, really fine work with the laser. The companionway is especially nice looking. 

There are plenty of cheap, harder to build entry models out there. It’s so nice to see Vanguard providing such detailed quality models. Undoubtedly the get what you pay for, in this case well worth the price.  

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

3 hours ago, glbarlow said:

It’s so nice to see Vanguard providing such detailed quality models.

Glenn, even though fishing vessels don't seem to be your cup of tea, you could consider adding one of these models to your queue as a small side project while you are working on the Winnie. A little variety and change of scenery might add to the fun...

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

And now the swan-song for this lovely little build. These will be released within a couple of weeks. It's as close to giving birth as I can get 😆

Unlike Nisha, there are two masts to make here, but the mizzen is just a single piece of tapered dowel. The only difference between this and Nisha is that the mizzen carries another sail and also needs some simple shrouds and rats installing. 

218.jpeg

228.jpeg

To fit the bowsprit, the opening needs elongating. I used some 3mm dowel wrapped in 180 grit paper. This was tested until I got a nice fit with the bowsprit. 

229.jpeg

230.jpeg

If you buy the optional sail set, you will need to fit the sails before masting. Note that I dyed the sails in dark brown, which was quite typical for a working vessel of this period. 

232.jpeg

233.jpeg

Those shrouds and rats are so easy, as you can see. A ratline spacing template is provided on the plans, making this a whole lot easier for you. 

234.jpeg

235.jpeg

236.jpeg

237.jpeg

No one wants an MDF stand when the acrylic is far nicer. Here is the stand, complete with keel plug to make sure the model is properly aligned to waterline for display.

240.jpeg

And the finals!

f1.jpeg

f2.jpeg

f3.jpeg

f4.jpeg

f5.jpeg

f6.jpeg

f7.jpeg

Thanks for checking in. Watch out for release very soon. 

Really nice and looks like fun to build. A couple of weeks to release. I better tell my Santa to order soon for Christmas.

Regards

Will

Current Build:

Erycina 1882 Fishing Trawler by Vanguard Models 1:64 scale

Syren by pearwill Model Shipways 1:64 scale

On Hold:

HM Cutter Cheerful  Syren Shipmodel Scratch 1:48 scale

1776 Washington Row Galley scratch scratch from NRG plans #121  1:48 scale

Completed Build:

Charles W. Morgan by Artesania Latina circa 1988, Lowell Grand Banks Dory 1:24 scale by Model Shipways, Norwegian.Sailing Pram 1:12 scale by Model Shipways, Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 scale by Model Shipways

Member Nautical Research Guild