Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

51 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Sadly no, but thanks, they are just too big, 1.8mm is way bigger than I need and 2 mm is out of the question.
1.2mm and 1.4 mm are  what I need.

.6mm over size is the thickness of the plating so cant say its within my accuracy tolerance, I am very fussy about scale...

If Archer don't get back to me I am facing having to make them.. or should I say cast them .............

One idea I have is to machine a 1.5mm brass rod with a dome ground inverted into the end and mount it in a jig allowing styrene rod to slide into the end of the rod which is heated, then a jig to slice of 1mm sections.
it's a shame suppliers just don't seem to want to provide a good old fashioned thing called service.
Finding it harder and harder to even get a reply from companies.

29 minutes ago, Kuparu said:

The thought of having to make so many rivets would scare me off.  In the past I have found that steel dressmakers pins have a range of uses in modelling and I know they come in a variety of lengths and head diameters.  Might be worth a look?

This might work, I have done some research and the standard size seems to be .6mm shank with a  1.4-1.5mm head in 250 packets, so about $270

Measured off a closeup picture with known shaft size.

pins.thumb.JPG.bb528ab257aac11425cee208153cbf29.JPG

Edited by Richard Dunn

Richard

Sorry for coming to the rivet discussion late, and I may have missed an earlier post, but have you looked at the Meng range of surface details? They have round head rivets in various sizes in one of their sets, SPS-009. They are standard model styrene, injection moulded onto flat strips. You slice them off with a razor blade or similar, then glue them to the surface, liquid cement to styrene, superglue to other surfaces. Range from 0.8mm up to 1.4mm or so. Lots of other profiles as well, nuts, bolts etc of various sizes and shapes. Consistent size and shape unlike many of the resin equivalents. A bit expensive but good. Most online hobby stores stocking accessories for AFV modellers have them. I have used the Archer decals also. They are a bit trickier to use, lower profile and a little less consistent in shape, have to be carefully applied then avoid using high tack masking tape over them as they can rip off. Advantage is they come in standard spacings and multiple rows.

Steve

Dressmaking Pins it is, thanks Kuparu!, I heard back from Archer and the technique they use to manufacture means they can't go that thick so at 1.4mm they would look flat, not round headed.
now to work out how to paint whatever metal they are so it does not chip off, might need to scuff and etch prime.

Hi Guys,

I want to start making rope for this, can someone point me to a good  rope walk. most of it is 2 1/2 sisal but the odd bigger in lengths of up to 4.88m for the moorings lines which are specified at 94 fathoms
I wonder when Chucks Syren rope walk store will be up again, and if it can do the sizes I need.
Also how is mooring rope circumference determined by lloyds, its by tonnage or something else?
Could someone explain to me how the springs  would be stowed at sea, aside from what's on the winch.
I will include the mooring deck plan here as I own that plan it was left to me by designer.

She was 8,948 gross registered tonnage

Mooring lines.JPG

322739611_mooring.thumb.jpg.2d05610a6c4119b23416b25d5be1af84.jpg

Edited by Richard Dunn

The reviews and comments on the Syren Rope Walk give it high marks.   Currently, the owner of Syren (Chuck) has the site off line while he recovers from bout of the flu. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Richard

The go to for fine pins used to be entomology pins. They're stainless steel, come in a range of sizes. maybe even too fine for your purposes.  When I last used them (decades ago) they had normal half-round heads like dressmaking pins, but looking on the internet now I see many of them have ceramic "blob" heads instead. However, it looks like there are still a few manufacturers of the old-school sort out there too. 

hi Richard

Just discovered your impressive build and have read the lot. Fantastic skill and ability throughout the build.

I left Wellington in 1967 but remember the Wahine tragedy well. 

Regards

Malcolm

Completed builds; Caldercraft Mars; Vanguard Alert, Amati Revenge

On the shelf; Vanguard DOK & the Sphinx

I made a rather large decision today and purchased the  long awaited Border 1/32 Avro Lancaster model that was being done by Wingnut Wings.
Some have said this is the most complex kit ever made and after my research it could well be, anyway I have it on order for when our shipments in Australia arrive,

Edited by Richard Dunn

8 hours ago, Richard Dunn said:

I made a rather large decision today and purchased the  long awaited Border 1/32 Avro Lancaster model that was being done by Wingnut Wings.
Some have said this is the most complex kit ever made and after my research it could well be, anyway I have it on order for when our shipments in Australia arrive,

You will have to start a new Build Log, when you decide to tackle the kit.

Yves

Some more progress on area around bridge and stairwells.
Aft mast base made as well.

The joins between superstructure sides and decks are ok to be gappy, we have 4mm x .5mm deck bars fitted around everything to neaten it up, but will add those pre painted after it's all painted as it will make masking much easier.

Excuse dirty finger marks, not all has been sanded with 400 grit ready for airbrush priming.

382409645_DSCN9190copy.thumb.jpg.462b793f9bf29ad851966e976f815008.jpg

480059079_DSCN9191copy.thumb.jpg.7f55c0109825bedcfcf13492bc0f39ba.jpg

A comparison photo to see the real nest to model.

1800146246_DSCN9189copy.thumb.jpg.ec4e1b47af8ae7d680d132769ffcaa25.jpg

1834999279_DSCN9192copy.thumb.jpg.066bd68fd4029f30955fd405f34995d6.jpg

269286584_DSCN9193copy.thumb.jpg.cfc49583c318775607939e9f9a352aae.jpg

1502662221_DSCN9185copy.thumb.jpg.91c693e65ac1215987ca74439ee45096.jpg

DSCN9186 copy.jpg

DSCN9187 copy.jpg

DSCN9188 copy.jpg

DSCN9189 copy.jpg

Edited by Richard Dunn

Hi Richard,

Very nice indeed!!

Your Mast brings back memories of my last trip to Eastbourne, Wellington a couple of years ago.

The salvaged Mast stands close to the end of the sealed road heading to Pencarrow Head, a memorial....

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

15 hours ago, hof00 said:

Your Mast brings back memories of my last trip to Eastbourne, Wellington a couple of years ago.

The salvaged Mast stands close to the end of the sealed road heading to Pencarrow Head, a memorial....

Cheers....HOF.

Yep, it was I who found the masts buried in front of southwards in the 80's and suggested they be erected, the aft mast is the one in Frank Kits park and the foremast is the one at Eastbourne, its just a shame they didn't  paint the right colour, I might email the councils about that.

2 hours ago, Richard Dunn said:

Yep, it was I who found the masts buried in front of southwards in the 80's and suggested they be erected, the aft mast is the one in Frank Kits park and the foremast is the one at Eastbourne, its just a shame they didn't  paint the right colour, I might email the councils about that.

Hi Richard,

An awesome find indeed!!

And, It's something that will live on for a very long time.... 🙂

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

1 hour ago, hof00 said:

Hi Richard,

An awesome find indeed!!

And, It's something that will live on for a very long time.... 🙂

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

It kind of makes you realise how much research has gone into this when you start pulling out stuff 30 years old!
this was 1984-5 where they were buried in blackberry and dirt.
masts2.thumb.jpg.84111dc5b697b2f547456797b0a35f8f.jpg394493908_Wahinesmastsinanover-grownpaddockatSouthwardsCarMuseumParaparaumubeforetheywererestored.RichardDunn3..jpg.bbb22f06974021f1242ea72d80125010.jpg767685489_Wahinesmastsinanover-grownpaddockatSouthwardsCarMuseumParaparaumubeforetheywererestored.RichardDunn5..jpg.ca2dfaf6aebe2e86896fc5ee3394ed1e.jpg682035308_Wahinesmastsinanover-grownpaddockatSouthwardsCarMuseumParaparaumubeforetheywererestored.RichardDunn7..jpg.77b20114e931edfeeb68a935ce376953.jpg150936417_Wahinesmastsinanover-grownpaddockatSouthwardsCarMuseumParaparaumubeforetheywererestored.RichardDunn9..jpg.77f12f07a0723802d5faa1a8e056160d.jpg

Edited by Richard Dunn

Hi Richard,

That's a very real and tangible piece of history....

I'm looking forward to seeing your ship completed. 🙂

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson