Greetings from Washington State

Dave_E

Hello Everyone,

Very nice to find this site! I have always wanted to build a wooden ship... built lots of plastic ships when I was younger. I am retiring next month, have a nice work area and have decided to jump in. I have been reading the forums and looking at the build logs. WOW! So much to learn and so many good resources! I am thinking about Amati's Lady Nelson for my first build. However I also see the 1/2 hull on this site. That might be a good one to start on first. Opinions on either of these are certainly welcome, and opinions for a first build.

Also had a question about the actual ship size. Is it easier to build a ship of larger scale? Are all the ship kits out there generally the same scale?

Look forward to meeting many of you - Dave

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

Welcome from Everett Dave.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Welcome, Dave.

Scales vary widely amongst kit manufacturers, but we can nonetheless make some generalizations. First, for wooden kits in particular, larger scales are easier to work with, because often a lot of parts shaping is needed, unlike in a plastic kit. The dividing line between "large" and "small" scales is somewhat subjective, but I'd say that 1/64 and up (remembering that smaller numbers = larger scales) is large, while 1/72 and smaller are considered small. Anything equal to or smaller than 1/192 is considered miniature in the wooden world (though that would be considered large for a plastic kit).

Common kit scales include 1/48, 1/64, 1/72, and 1/96. Some manufacturers stick pretty much to one scale (e.g. Vanguard Models produces kits in 1/64), others can be all over the scale map. Some manufacturers have, at one time or another right down into the present day, produced kits in what are called "box scales," i.e. a kit produced in a scale that will allow it to fit into a certain-sized box; this is how we wind up with kits in weird scales like 1/51.

Cutters, like Lady Nelson, are good first kits, just be advised that some manufacturers have really stepped up their instructions-writing game in recent years, if instructions are something that is important to you. Chris Watton, who designed the Amati kit, has produced a similar kit of Alert for his own company, Vanguard Models, and the instructions are incrementally better than in the older kit. Either, though, will produce a great finished model.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht

1 hour ago, ccoyle said:

Welcome, Dave.

Cutters, like Lady Nelson, are good first kits, just be advised that some manufacturers have really stepped up their instructions-writing game in recent years, if instructions are something that is important to you. Chris Watton, who designed the Amati kit, has produced a similar kit of Alert for his own company, Vanguard Models, and the instructions are incrementally better than in the older kit. Either, though, will produce a great finished model.

Cheers!

Thanks!

Quite a bit more expensive... I would possibly consider it for the sake of the membership, however it's out of stock.

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

It would be worth your time to read the pinned threads at the top of this section  - for beginner suggestions -   a beginner boat kit  as a way to get your feet wet - while gaining perspective and skills  while harnessing your necessary initial enthusiasm - to avoid water that is too deep.

If this hobby takes hold of you, you progress to the scratch build ambition,  and you have or have access to at least a big bandsaw and a Byrnes thickness sander

A version of scratch building  also includes   Replacing less than ideal kit supplied wood with more appropriate species  - Fabricating your own sub-assemblies - Adding more detail:

In hyperbole this is called "kit bashing" but it is really kit augmentation and or kit adaptation.   It is the common way for those of us with no fine woodworking experience to progress to plans only independence for modeling subjects.

Why this post=

Since I am not able to keep certain obsessions under control, this is what I think I would do in your place.  Understanding that I have no concept to the actual travel distances.

You have seeming easy access to wood that is not economically practical to get to the Atlantic coast.

It is Pacific Madrone - from a shop that can kiln dry it without it self destructing

https://www.snwwood.com/Northwest-Hardwoods/Pacific-Madrone

It is Sustainable Northwest Wood in Portland.   They seem to be a "do a physical visit only" shop. But then you can handpick for grain and color.  (Pick'em up truck and at least 100 BF)

The consensus here from those with experience with it is that you do not want the Port Orford Cedar.

It seems that there are several regional mills that supply something that you do want if the scratch build bug takes hold.

AYC   Alaska Yellow Cedar   - a site search will show you what it is all about.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Welcome to MSW, Dave.  Basic rule of thumb is to start "small"... by that one mast or none.   You've received some good advise.   The half hull model might something to look into as it's focus is on planking.   There's several logs here which would give you some idea of it's difficulty.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Dave,
From another Washingtonian, Warm and Dry Greetings after all the rain we had.
Are you into Catamaran sailing? Just wondering considering your "nick name".

You may know there are a lot of Model building clubs in our area.

Please look into www.pssm.club as I am part of them.
Our next meeting is the upcoming Saturday in Kirkland.

Btw, Mark has a very good point  - start small.

If you go to NRG shop website you can find a half hull model to start with and learning the essential about planking.

Even though I have been building models for a long time, I recently bought this "model" to become more experienced with planking!

Once again Welcome to MSW!

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Hi Dave and welcome to Model Ship World. Good luck on whatever project you decide to do.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Hi Dave, 

welcome to MSW.  You are on the right path. Start with a basic kit like Lady Nelson and reference the many build logs for support. As Chris said Vanguard’s Alert (which is in stock on the Vanguard site) is a better kit and Speedy or Flirt one up from that due to the detailed instructions, almost a primer on modeling by themselves. You can first download the instructions before buying the model to see for yourself. Frankly the Alert instructions would probably help as a reference for Lady Nelson given the similarities. 

A half hull,kit bashing, and scratch building are all advanced topics for another day, get a basic kit under your belt first. My one suggestion in that area might be to replace Lady Nelson’s walnut planking with pear or even yellow cedar. The simplest way to do that starting out is to order it precut from Modeler’s Sawmill, a MSW sponsor you can find a link there on the bottom right of the MSW home page. Stay simple to build confidence.

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Hi Dave, welcome from Spokane.

Tom

________________________________________________________________________________________

Current build::    Shackleton's Endurance -- OcCre  

Completed:    

USS Constitution cross section  -- Model Shipways         Peterboro Canoe -- Midwest Models             Bluenose -- Artesania Latina

Joshua Slocumb’s Spray -- BlueJacket                                J Boat Endeavor -- Amati                                 Other     Wright Flyer -- Model Airways

Yacht America -- Model Shipways                                         Brig Niagara -- Model Shipways                                     Sopwith Camel -- Hasegawa

Hi, Dave - 

Welcome to MSW.  I'm in the Seattle area (Lake Tapps).  If that's convenient you're welcome to stop by and see what I have on the workbench, on the bookshelf and in the kit stash.  I transitioned from plastic to wooden shipmodeling back in the '60's and have accumulated a sizeable collection of stuff.

I'm fully vaccinated and boosted, and comfortable with whatever level of COVID prevention you observe.  Send me a private message if you're interested.

Bill