New Member - Philly area.

SUBaron

Hi MSW community - what a great resource! Like many folks, I used to build plastic models when I was young. Unlike many, I then ended up blowing most of them up with M-80s. Many years later I have a daughter who loves Legos, and as we've built more and more advanced Lego kits (recently finished a Star Wars X-Wing), I found myself looking for more of a challenge. It also happened to be a good time for new indoor hobby with my COVID driven full time telework (took up the violin last year).

I initially decided to jump into the deep end of the pool with Model Shipways' USS Constitution (MS2040). After previewing the 80+ pages of instruction (after I had already ordered the model), I changed my strategy and decided that an appetizer was probably needed before tackling Old Ironsides. I chose the Aretsania Latina, 1805 Swift. I started mid December, and just completed planking both the hull and deck. MSW has been an indispensable resource, and I plan to add my own ship log in the hopes that I can help someone else, if for even a minute detail they can't quite get. 

Fortunately, Constitution is on back-order, because this little Swift is taking longer than anticipated. Between work, family, sports, other hobbies, life.., progress has been a bit slow. Both modeling and the violin present interesting challenges, and have some surprising similarities, such as patience and attention to detail. I'm very happy to have come across this resource at the beginning of my build. Too bad MSW doesn't have a violin forum 🙂

Cheers!

7FE73882-BCF4-4F1C-8091-233076AACD93.jpeg

Edited by SUBaron
Added Swift

Current Build: USS Constitution 1:76 Model Shipways MS 2040 

At Sea [Completed 2023]: 1805 Swift  

Hi SUB, welcome aboard! Good decision! Lots of learning and help to be had from this forum, good choice! Start a build log, I think that's how you'll get the most help. 👍

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

Mr. Baron

You are not the only one to have sent their fleet to the bottom with M80s.   Cherry bombs did a good job as well.😀

Welcome aboard

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Welcome to MSW.   You did the right thing by going "smaller" for a first build.  Do consider opening a log as it's a great way to stay motivated and also get help and meet others.

As for the M80's, I think many of us did that as kids.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Baron, welcome to MSW. I look forward to seeing your work on the Swift. 

Welcome!

As a kid, I regarded my finished plastic models as something akin to sacred objects, but I did have friends in the "blow 'em up" crowd. The Swift kit has gotten many a modeler past the first-build hurdle. After completing her, I'd strongly encourage you to do an intermediate-level kit before taking on the Connie. Happily, these days there are many very well designed kits of schooners, brigs, and smaller three-masted sloops of that era available in kit form.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

:722972270:

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Previous builds, in rough order of execution;
Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

On the shelf; Royal Barge, Jefferson Davis.

13 hours ago, Dave_E said:

Hi SUB, welcome aboard! Good decision! Lots of learning and help to be had from this forum, good choice! Start a build log, I think that's how you'll get the most help. 👍

Thanks Dave - I plan to but have limited time to model, so I find that logging gets shelved. 

Welcome SUBaron, smart move on your part. Swift is a good warm up, and a fun project. Old Ironsides will be a challenge. Looking forward to reading your building log.

Current Build: Fair American - Model Shipways

Awaiting Parts - Rattlesnake

On the Shelf - English Pinnace

18Th Century Longboat

I stand firmly against piracy!

Hi Baron, 

Welcome to MSW, you've taken up a very rewarding hobby with good people!   Maybe you'll consider checking out the Philadelphia Ship Model Society,  we meet on the first Thursday of the month at the Independent Seaport Museum at 7p.   Our next meeting is on 3/3.   There will be individuals there who would be happy to assist and discuss your goals!   www.philadelphiashipmodelsociety.com       Maybe we'll see you there!

Joshua 

:piratebo5: and welcome to MSW 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Welcome aboard from a former Philly Citizen now relocated to West Fenwick Island DE

Al

Current Build

The President by Sergal

Completed Build

Cutty Sark 1:75

SIB Hannah

Opium Smuggler

SIB Pride of Baltimore II

On Deck

Pride of Baltimore II

On 2/23/2022 at 11:25 AM, Azzoun said:

Hi Baron, 

Welcome to MSW, you've taken up a very rewarding hobby with good people!   Maybe you'll consider checking out the Philadelphia Ship Model Society,  we meet on the first Thursday of the month at the Independent Seaport Museum at 7p.   Our next meeting is on 3/3.   There will be individuals there who would be happy to assist and discuss your goals!   www.philadelphiashipmodelsociety.com       Maybe we'll see you there!

Joshua 

Sorry I missed it. My boss took off early this afternoon and graciously left a few of his deliverables for me to complete. I hope to catch a meeting. Thanks again for the info and invitation. 

cheers!

16 hours ago, SUBaron said:

Sorry I missed it. My boss took off early this afternoon and graciously left a few of his deliverables for me to complete. I hope to catch a meeting. Thanks again for the info and invitation. 

cheers!

No worries bud - we meet every first Thursday,   I'm trying to keep the website updated for upcoming events.  You coming to the Northeast Conference in New London?

Edited by Azzoun

Well welcome aboard Sub - I'm new here as well, and found this is a fine harbor to take shore leave in.

Dearborn (AKA John)

Phoenix AZ

Current Build: Cutty Sark, Sergal 1:78

Past Builds:

Cutty Sark - Plastic Half hull - wall mounted. Circa 1978

Cutty Sark - Plastic Full hull. Circa 1981

Cutty Sark - Billing 1:78 Wood Kit - Destroyed by the U.S. Navy. Circa 1988

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2022 at 2:22 PM, Azzoun said:

No worries bud - we meet every first Thursday,   I'm trying to keep the website updated for upcoming events.  You coming to the Northeast Conference in New London?

@AzzounHey there, no, likely not. I'm still working and have limited leave to use. As much as I'd love to go, I'm 95% sure I'd be over-ruled by my all female crew. I'm still a bit stuck with Disney type vacations for a few more years, though the youngest is showing interest in Caribbean (and region) Islands finally, which makes me very happy 🙂

Welcome to MSW, SUBaron.

Yes, I was guilty of blowing up my models when young (one ship I floated in a concrete tub in the laundry and set off a firework that looks much like an M-80 - nearly deafened myself!).

I played violin in my teens and still have my grandfather's fiddle made in 1900 in a beautiful inlaid wooden case that looks more like a coffin than a violin case. I sometimes think I should get back into playing, but - too many other things to do (including ship modelling).

Steven

@Louie da fly Steven - I picked up an 1844 French Violin and it looks and sounds beautiful (though no special case!). After a year and a half of lessons, I’m finally able play some nice basic music. Having to relearn music theory is tougher than I had expected, but I’m managing. I also realized that to play the violin is really learning two parts - the violin and the bow.  The bow is the toughest. I hope you consider picking it up again - it’s very rewarding. If you have the patience and abilities acquired to build model ships, I think you’ll pick up the fiddle quicker than you might expect. Good luck!

Edited by SUBaron
Typos

12 hours ago, SUBaron said:

The bow is the toughest.

Very true. Have you ever seen the movie "The Witches of Eastwick"? Jack Nicholson explaining to Susan Sarandon that the problem with her cello playing is not the intonation (left hand) but that she's too timid with the bow. Wonderful scene. To play an instrument from the violin family you have to be prepared to go nuts with the bow or it will always sound insipid. (A case of "do as I say" rather than "do as I do", I'm afraid). 

Steven

15 minutes ago, Toolman said:

I have the MS Connie.  I'm sorry I bought it.  Great kit but I don't think I can ever reach that caliber of modeling.  Good luck modeling.

@Toolman Do you mind sharing how you came to that conclusion? I'm just wondering if it was intimidating out of the box, or was there a point in your build that you just said nope, not for me? I ask because I'm really looking forward to it. I find that I'm learning a lot from my Swift build. My thinking is that the Connie may actually be easier in some regard because it's bigger (clamps are easier to find a purchase, parts placement and general shaping is easier to visualize because of the larger size). I get that it will be more complicated simply by being more detailed, but it's just more of the same, no (? I also understand that the literally hundreds (thousands) of rigging bits are not going to be a breeze, but it also doesn't seem that hard if you break the project down to bite sized pieces. Please don't take my questions as criticism (I don't mean to belittle your efforts in any way), I'm just wondering if I'm being too optimistic. I'll likely remain so because I won't let it stump me - the Connie will be built! I grew up in New England and made trips to Mystic Seaport, and many many to Boston. My school took us on a field trip to see the Connie, and I was hooked. 

Sub, I didn't mean to discourage you.  It's intimidating out of the box.  I lack the confidence that you have and I admire you for that.  I'm a pessimist.  I love ship modeling and after reading your note to me maybe I will attempt it in the future.  You will be my inspiration.  I have been to Mystic as well as Boston.  I was on the Connie. It was breath taking.  When I was a little guy many years ago I lived in Portland Maine and Portsmouth N.H.  I now call Northeast Pa home. 

On 3/23/2022 at 6:11 AM, Artesania Latina said:

We're glad you chose our Swift model. A great option to get initiated in this hobby!

Agreed! I'm enjoying it. The material was all in great shape and with enough extra wood to feel comfortable - fortunately, not needed yet, but much appreciated.  @Artesania Latina