Hi All - New Member

MaryG

Hi Everyone!  I am not exactly a new member but until now I haven't posted anything in the forums.  I started modelling about 4 years ago.  My dad was a finishing carpenter before he retired and was looking for a hobby.  I gave him the Canadian ship The Bluenose (kit) which he finished and subsequently did 3 more - one for each of his kids!  My dad lived in Canada and I am in Arizona but facetimed him every week and watched his progress with his boats.  He encouraged me to try to hobby and i bought a model and struggled with it!  But I persisted and did a number of models since then - not really knowing what I was doing - and it showed!  Unfortunately my dad passed in 2021 so I lost my mentor and I have struggled ever since, especially with planking.  Thankfully I returned to model ship world and discovered the half hull planking kit and help from other members.  I am starting the half hull kit and am following a few logs to see what others have done.

I am pleased to see there are other women modellers - it gives me faith that I too can do this!  I look forward to meeting people on the forums.  Thanks so much!

There are indeed some extremely talented lady ship modelers here. (Look up Toni and Doris!) Although we cannot possibly replace your father, we can provide hints and help when requested. You'll find this a very supportive community, Welcome aboard!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Mary, welcome to MSW. First off, my condolences for the loss of you father. You womenfolk do every bit as well as us menfolk in this hobby as you gals come to the party naturally gifted. Please start a build log, I'd love to see your work. 

welcome to MSW

Sorry for the loss of your dad

looking forward to seeing what you are building

here is a link to one of our female members @DORIS

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Hi Mary and welcome to MSW.   My condolences on the loss of your dad and mentor.   As advised previously, start a log on any of  your projects.  It's a great way to meet other modelers and also get help.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mary, I echo the sentiments above and would like to say 'welcome to MSW' from chilly southern England.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Hi Mary and welcome to Model Ship World.  I am sorry to hear of the loss of your Dad.  You have come to the right place to enhance your skills and build a ship model your Dad would be proud of.  I hope you start a build log so that we can follow your progress.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Mary, 

Very Sorry for the recent loss of your Dad, Welcome to the fold Fellow  (model) Shipwright.  We tend to be over critical of our own work at times and can have some of the enjoyment taken from the hobby as such.   Enjoy the hobby for what it is and regardless of building ship models you will always have the loving memories of your Dad and mentor in life.  Look forward to seeing some of your work posted via this medium.

Kind Regards  Andy "Akrypto"

Thanks to everyone for your warm welcome and condolences.  I miss my dad so much, having been a finishing carpenter he knew about how to handle wood, what you can and cant expect from it and how to make it do what you want.  I dont have either the experience or the innate ability so I need to read alot and look at what others have done.    Here are three little boats I completed Please dont look too closely!

Mary

IMG_5445.JPG

IMG_0002.jpeg

IMG_0887 2.jpeg

Mary, I looked closely, nicely done. You should be very proud. 

Edited by Keith Black

Well, the fact that you built and finished three models very nicely says a lot about you! Many beginners never even finish one model. Well done.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Nice start to this hobby.  You seem to have inherited some of your Dad's modeling skills.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Sweet looking models.  And yes, I cheated and looked closely.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Wonderful work Mary, worthy of pride. 

Edited by Moonbug

On 3/8/2022 at 8:11 AM, MaryG said:

Hi Everyone!  I am not exactly a new member but until now I haven't posted anything in the forums.  I started modelling about 4 years ago.  My dad was a finishing carpenter before he retired and was looking for a hobby.  I gave him the Canadian ship The Bluenose (kit) which he finished and subsequently did 3 more - one for each of his kids!  My dad lived in Canada and I am in Arizona but facetimed him every week and watched his progress with his boats.  He encouraged me to try to hobby and i bought a model and struggled with it!  But I persisted and did a number of models since then - not really knowing what I was doing - and it showed!  Unfortunately my dad passed in 2021 so I lost my mentor and I have struggled ever since, especially with planking.  Thankfully I returned to model ship world and discovered the half hull planking kit and help from other members.  I am starting the half hull kit and am following a few logs to see what others have done.

I am pleased to see there are other women modellers - it gives me faith that I too can do this!  I look forward to meeting people on the forums.  Thanks so much!

I'm sorry for your loss. I have not yet the courage or research to take on a diy build, but I am working on a U.S.S. Constitution kit and I am a woodworker and miniaturist and would be happy to contribute if you see fit to need help with anything.

A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.

Link to my build

You look like you're a highliner already! 😁

I have the half hull planking kit too, so make up a nice build log and I'll tune in to get prepped for mine, and soak up any knowledge you share.

Thanks for joining up here and keep up the great work on your fleet. I hope you can find the support you need to feel better. 

Hi Mary,

Welcome aboard. Jump in! I’ve found this forum to be much more than just model ship questions and answers. Friendly, knowledgeable, helpful folk reside here. 😊

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

Hi Everyone - thanks so much for your very kind remarks about my first few attempts!  You are overly kind but very encouraging!  I look forward to talking with all  of you and getting lots of advice.  The thing I miss most about having dad around is that I have no one to talk to for help and encouragement.     I am so happy to have found a group where I can share my success and failures.  Thanks again everyone.

Mary

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Mary,

I just now saw your post from last month, and I wanted to say hi from one lady modeller to another.  Reiterating what others have written, I’m so sorry for the loss of your dad. What a wonderful gift he passed down to you though with this hobby.

Your ships look great! This is a kind and supportive forum (totally unlike so much of what else passes for social forums on the internet!), and I look forward to seeing more of your posts 😊

Warm wishes,

Melissa

Melissa T.

Current Build: 85' ARB Scratch build, 1:32 scale

Completed: Gunboat Philadelphia - Model Shipways, Statenjacht - Kolderstok, Swampscott Dory - BlueJacket ShipCrafters

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Hi Mary! I am new here myself and just wanted to say I am very sorry to hear of your fathers recent passing. I lost my mother a long time ago but I truly know what you are going through. And my mother-in-law just passed in 2021. I just wanted to tell you that I understand how much you miss your dad and I think continuing your ship modeling journey is such a great thing to keep him in your thoughts and honor him.

Oh by the way, I think I recognize that first boat you posted, isn't that the Artisania Latina Providence Whaling boat? I have not completed a ship yet but I purchased that one along with the Artisania Latina Marie Jeanne tuna fishing boat as my first builds. Might pick your brain for advice on that build ;)

Edited by zeno67
Added link