Your New "cautionary tale" posterchild here!

Hello new friends and comrades, I am new to forums but the Facebook group I joined wasn't cutting it. To post my own cautionary tale, you don't know what you've gotten yourselves into letting me join this group. I am like a five-year-old who just learned the words "why" and "how", luckily I am actually an adult.... and being the responsible adult I am trying to find the rules/restrictions page to save mods time but alas I am adrift. 

The first thing I read was "how to use forum" with a large "Absolutely No modeling posts" directly under it. Well shoot! Isn't this a modelers group? I had to recheck the group and read quite a bit until I understood you meant none of that content ON THAT THREAD. Lol I can learn... slowly.
Second thing I read, "start a build log" with no instructions on how to do that, I have looked it up and looked at my account page, and briefly through the forum and I'm blind- help meh! 😢

Also point me in the direction of what I can and cannot post or guaranteed I'll post it, it's the Murphy's law of my existence. Thanks!!! Nice to meet you 😄😄😇

A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.

Link to my build

Update. I found the rules under >Browse>Guidelines. 
I am wondering what exactly a pirated ship is and how you know if you have a pirated ship/parts...I was going to make a pirate joke but refrained-I know mine is not as I opened it fresh out of a vintage Revell package, but what if I want additions? Further kits off eBay etc? As a peasant I am often looking for deals, as a novice, I would have no idea how to check.

Link to my build

Welcome to MSW. Just keep reading and be sure to check out all of the headings you'll find that eventually you'll be one of the folks here. Pirated kits are those which have been copied by certain foreign manufacturers of kits without permission from the original designer.

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

To learn more about the touchy subject of pirated models, click here and here. In a nutshell, there are certain kit manufacturers who are engaged in the nasty business of ripping off the designs of other companies. These unscrupulous companies and their products are persona non grata at MSW.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

A good thing to remember, is if you have a particular kit in mind, just run it by us here and we can tell you if it is not welcomed here for some reason.

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

29 minutes ago, reklein said:

Welcome to MSW. Just keep reading and be sure to check out all of the headings you'll find that eventually you'll be one of the folks here. Pirated kits are those which have been copied by certain foreign manufacturers of kits without permission from the original designer.

I understand what pirated is, I'm wondering how one might ascertain whether or not it is such. Thank you in advance.

Link to my build

12 minutes ago, Gregory said:

A good thing to remember, is if you have a particular kit in mind, just run it by us here and we can tell you if it is not welcomed here for some reason.

For sure, but I want to know how to avoid them previous to the fact not just for this site, cheers.

Link to my build

26 minutes ago, ccoyle said:

To learn more about the touchy subject of pirated models, click here and here. In a nutshell, there are certain kit manufacturers who are engaged in the nasty business of ripping off the designs of other companies. These unscrupulous companies and their products are persona non grata at MSW.

Will do, thanks! My current build is a vintage Revell Constitution that I opened myself so I know it's bueno. 👌🏽

Link to my build

Update 2. Found how to add a build log and posted progress, will some brave and bored soul with nothing better to do, foster this greenhorn so that I may harass you for the next unforeseeable length of time for help? Sounds like a  good deal am I right? 😂 I am already in a bind trying to figure out how to fix the unbelievably tiny and delicate stanchions that broke upon treacherous waters of my closet.  

Link to my build

Post pictures in your log and I'm sure you get will plenty of help.  We have many members who have built the Revell Connie.

Edited by Gregory

― Jimmy Buffett

Well welcome to MSW, this place is fairly easy to navigate. At the top of each area are 'Pinned' topics that are a good idea to read. I'm new here as well (you can tell by my post count under my big 'D'). So good luck on your build, I'll go have a look at it. My build is in there somewhere too😉

Edited by Dearborn
Fix a typo (I do that a lot)

Dearborn (AKA John)

Phoenix AZ

Current Build: Cutty Sark, Sergal 1:78

Past Builds:

Cutty Sark - Plastic Half hull - wall mounted. Circa 1978

Cutty Sark - Plastic Full hull. Circa 1981

Cutty Sark - Billing 1:78 Wood Kit - Destroyed by the U.S. Navy. Circa 1988

Hi Valkyrja68 and welcome to Model Ship World.  It looks like you are finding your way around MSW.  I did a topic search and found two pages of topics for the Revell Constitution.  Here is a link to my search:

https://modelshipworld.com/search/?&q=Constitution Revell&type=forums_topic&page=1&search_and_or=and&search_in=titles&sortby=relevancy

You will find that it does not take much time to learn your way around MSW.  As far as questions go, please ask away as we are more than willing to try to answer them.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Valkyrja, welcome to MSW. Stow your gear below and enjoy your stay. 

2 hours ago, Valkyrja68 said:

For sure, but I want to know how to avoid them previous to the fact not just for this site, cheers.

Hi Valkyrja

It is nice to see a new lady of Odin join MSW.   Heck of job you have on the battlefield what with picking which of the men go to Valhalla😀   

If you use the search box at the top right and type the words "pirated plans"  you will get the post that Chuck Passaro started in 2013 plus updates and discussions.

In short it included the following statement and list.   

Cheers,   Allan

NO KITS BY THESE MFGs WILL EVER BE ALLOWED ON THIS SITE. Here is the list of crooked ship model MFGs banned from MSW

ZHL

RealTS 

Snail Model

XinFeng 

Crown
JD Model 
LHQK

Huasong 

Shi Cheng 

woodenkit (Russian MFG)
YengFan 
Unicorn Model 
YQ (YaunQing)

Master

CN

CF

shi hai

4H Model

Moxing

Microcosm

WN

Jaocdoen

SC

DUJIAOSHOU

DryDock Models and parts (Canada)  selling for companies that pirate.

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Welcome to MSW, Valkyrja68.  Feel free to ask all the questions you want as we enjoy helping other modelers.  As you find your way around this place, we do have areas set aside for just about everything.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

3 hours ago, Ryland Craze said:

Hi Valkyrja68 and welcome to Model Ship World.  It looks like you are finding your way around MSW.  I did a topic search and found two pages of topics for the Revell Constitution.  Here is a link to my search:

https://modelshipworld.com/search/?&q=Constitution Revell&type=forums_topic&page=1&search_and_or=and&search_in=titles&sortby=relevancy

You will find that it does not take much time to learn your way around MSW.  As far as questions go, please ask away as we are more than willing to try to answer them.

Rad! Yes I'm a pretty good problem solver, but not the best "looker" or maybe I should say "finder" thanks for the links

Link to my build

1 hour ago, allanyed said:

Hi Valkyrja

It is nice to see a new lady of Odin join MSW.   Heck of job you have on the battlefield what with picking which of the men go to Valhalla😀   

If you use the search box at the top right and type the words "pirated plans"  you will get the post that Chuck Passaro started in 2013 plus updates and discussions.

In short it included the following statement and list.   

Cheers,   Allan

NO KITS BY THESE MFGs WILL EVER BE ALLOWED ON THIS SITE. Here is the list of crooked ship model MFGs banned from MSW

ZHL

RealTS 

Snail Model

XinFeng 

Crown
JD Model 
LHQK

Huasong 

Shi Cheng 

woodenkit (Russian MFG)
YengFan 
Unicorn Model 
YQ (YaunQing)

Master

CN

CF

shi hai

4H Model

Moxing

Microcosm

WN

Jaocdoen

SC

DUJIAOSHOU

DryDock Models and parts (Canada)  selling for companies that pirate.

Not that hard to choose, not many drengr's anymore. But I digress, thank you.
I did read this, how they are allowed to sell beats me -but you just need to look at the maker then I surmise? I can do that.

Link to my build

Hey over there Valkyrja68, I'm new over here too.🎸🤘

It gets foggy sometimes but I'm learning to navigate and learn to use all  the tools and instruments for safe passage. I think when the seas get tough and you see mountainous swells rolling your way, the kind that make you get that sinking feeling, this joint can help guide the astute. 👍

4 hours ago, SaltyNinja said:

Hey over there Valkyrja68, I'm new over here too.🎸🤘

It gets foggy sometimes but I'm learning to navigate and learn to use all  the tools and instruments for safe passage. I think when the seas get tough and you see mountainous swells rolling your way, the kind that make you get that sinking feeling, this joint can help guide the astute. 👍

Love it! That's my kinda analogy. I am having a hard time navigating this site for sure. There are fathoms of interesting and sidetracking info on here but when I do a direct search it's filled with everything I don't want. Right now I'm attempting to look up making sheets/sails of cloth. I've found some on paper and some on plastic but nothing yet on cloth that helps me...the search continues 

Link to my build

5 hours ago, Valkyrja68 said:

Right now I'm attempting to look up making sheets/sails of cloth. I've found some on paper and some on plastic but nothing yet on cloth that helps me...the search continues 

While not the final word, you will find the use of cloth, that requires sewing, is not well received here due to the challenges of achieving a scaled look.

The weave of the cloth and the size of stitches detract from an otherwise finely detailed model.

There are some models displayed with fairly decent cloth sails, but I don't recall anyone sharing technique to any extent.

There is an excellent tutorial on making sails with silkspan to be found here:

Considering this project ( Medway Longboat ) is 1:24 scale, it reflects the limitations of trying to get a good effect with cloth.

I searched for 'cloth + sails' and got a few pages, but it remains to be seen what you might filter out of it..

https://modelshipworld.com/search/?q=cloth %2B sails&quick=1

― Jimmy Buffett

3 hours ago, Gregory said:

While not the final word, you will find the use of cloth, that requires sewing, is not well received here due to the challenges of achieving a scaled look.

The weave of the cloth and the size of stitches detract from an otherwise finely detailed model.

There are some models displayed with fairly decent cloth sails, but I don't recall anyone sharing technique to any extent.

There is an excellent tutorial on making sails with silkspan to be found here:

Considering this project ( Medway Longboat ) is 1:24 scale, it reflects the limitations of trying to get a good effect with cloth.

I searched for 'cloth + sails' and got a few pages, but it remains to be seen what you might filter out of it..

https://modelshipworld.com/search/?q=cloth %2B sails&quick=1

Ahhh I see now! Well, that's fine. I have Vellum as one suggested. Not being a ship modeler I thought that this cloth looked more like sails than the stiff plastic the kit came with, and I don't have silkspan to accomplish the look that Lauria demonstrates. All in all I purchased this kit before I had done any research on model building and was just excited to put all the little pieces together. Had I known then what I know now- I would have made all manner of customizations and alterations- but it's just going to be a standard beginner kit construction at this point as it's 90% done and welded. So basically I'm not terribly particular about it, but in making it and then re-searching I now have a very good idea of what I am going to do on the next one. Which will be the Cutty Sark that was purchased at the same time. 😃

Link to my build

With everything I said, I think cloth can be used to good effect depending on the subject.

If you take a look at my Mary, I am happy with the way the sails came out.  They provide a look I was going for that had nothing to do with

a concern that the stitching is way out of scale.

I was just being preemptive, knowing there are those here who are prone to advise against sewn sails.

I think you should explore your creative goals when it come to model ship building.

― Jimmy Buffett

@Valkyrja68 Can you put a link of your build in your signature? please?

Dearborn (AKA John)

Phoenix AZ

Past Builds:

@Valkyrja68

thanks for the link.

At the top of the page where you see your user name, there is a 'drop-down' arrow. click that then 'account settings', There you will see 'signature'

You can post your Build link there and it will pop up in all your posts.

you can also post it linked to your build in other ways too but THAT gets tricky. Look at my signature and you can see Cutty Sark is underlined and that is linked to my build.

I managed to get it done once, but cannot manage to explain it. maybe someone here can tell you how to do it.

Dearborn (AKA John)

Phoenix AZ

Past Builds:

Here's the link for how to do signatures.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Valkyrija,

Looks to me as if your first ship model is doing just what it should do!

No one makes a perfect ship model on the first try, but hopefully they learn why it is not perfect and do a better job the next time. And we learn new methods and materials as we go, making us better modelers.

Don't get you hopes too high. I have been building wooden ship models for at least 60 years, and I am still no where near perfection! But I am learning!