Intro - Toe in the Water

Hi Everyone,

Moved to waterfront and feel the need to have a ship in the house. I've been modelling off and on for nigh on 50 years (had a bit of a hiatus during my military career) - mostly military miniatures then figurine painting, an O scale railroad, etc. I came across a Billings Boat model of the Mayflower in a second-hand store. It had been started (I'm told the lady had expert guidance but didn't get to finish it but all the parts were there) which makes me a little leery but... I've been perusing the site and the web for assistance and it appears that I inadvertently chose a dark horse. Only a few people even attempted it and less completed it. The instructions are a joke - at best they are guidance. So much to learn! So I have a hull that has been decked and some planking applied above the deck level and that is my starting point. At some point I will go through the box of parts to see what I have but first I need to finish building my work bench (I also dabble in furniture building) to fit my new hobby room. I figure I have lots of research and learning to do before I get going anyway. 

Anyway, that's me. I had good experiences with the model railroad line and hope to duplicate that here. There are some fantastic pieces of work here!

Cheers from Vancouver Island,

Dave

LCdr Dave

Current Build: Mayflower - Billing Boats

:piratebo5:welcome to MSW 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

:sign:

Best is to start a build log 

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Welcome aboard David!!  Glad to see you giving ship modeling a go.   

7 hours ago, LCdr Dave said:

The instructions are a joke - at best they are guidance.

Yours is not alone, but as stated above there are many here that can help you get through it.   Keep in mind there are a couple alternatives that would be much better choices to start to hone your skills. 

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Glad to have you join us Dave.  Your background should really help you transition to wooden model ships.  I can only imagine how difficult it would be to attempt to pick up after someone else on a challenging build for your "toe in the water" initiation.  There is nothing to say you couldn't put your Mayflower in drydock and select a kit better suited for a first build.  What ever you decide, rest assured you've come to the best place to obtain help, guidance and to learn the techniques of the hobby.  Everyone here is eager to share their knowledge and give advice in an honest and nonjudgemental fashion.  Sometimes it isn't always what you want/hope to hear, but it is always to your benefit.  A build log is the best way to document your progress and show a situation if/when you need a little help.  It is also of major assistance to others who are building the same ship as you've set a course that can be followed.  Take your time and be patient.  Remember that we all make mistakes, even the best shipwrights here were beginners once and any mistake can be fixed (if you decide it is worth fixin').  Take your time, be patient and enjoy the voyage.   

Take care and be safe.

kev

Current Build:  HMS Bounty's Jolly Boat - Artesania Latina

On the shelf:  Oseberg #518 - Billing Boats

Welcome to MSW. I started the Billings Mayflower back in 1999 and it sounds like I got about as far as the one you have. I stopped when I got to the point of needing to bend planks around the bow. I'm not going to get back to it until I finish some other projects. Don't look at the dust!

David

progress.thumb.jpg.2aa30600d0fb91cd0042dc900639e684.jpg

Current Build: HMS Victory Cross Section

Welcome to MSW,  Dave.   Yes.. the Billing kit is not for beginners.   Historically, their instructions are not for the faint of heart and sketchy is an understatement as they are really just a guideline as the plans are the important part.  Good advise has been given about starting simple and also build logs.  You might look into the ModelExpo's beginner's kits.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Dave and David

Be sure to peruse the list of tutorials in the Articles data base here at MSW.  There is a wealth of information, including how to taper and spile or wet bend the planking at the bow to avoid the make-believe style of planking shown in many kits.  

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. Jeff, you a Led Zep fan? ..and Jim I thought your avatar would be upside down  ...

I will start a build log once I actually start to build or make any kind of progress. Getting the work space finished must come first! 

Cheers,

Dave

LCdr Dave

Current Build: Mayflower - Billing Boats