I'm a 14 year old kid who wants to build his own scratch build model ship or boat(i have no experience) and my only available material is sintra board or styrene

Kris:

Glad you are here.  Everyone who has read your post is on your side and will go out of their way to help you. 

Beware the urge to start with a large, complex model.  They are impressive to observers and will generate praise.  But make certain you know who it is you are trying to please; strangers or yourself! Take a look at the Gallery photos at the top of this site.  At this time, there is a beautifully made model of a dinghy.  That small model's single photo has generated more comments than the other, larger models shown around it. 

Consider all the factors - Your interest in a particular ship type, time, tools, time, material and, did I mention it, time!  Make what you like, what you can and will finish and know this is only the first of what may become many.  And above all, make yourself happy.     

Welcome to MSW, Krisan.    You've had some good advice, but I'll carry it a step further.   Start with a simple model with no masts such as a life boat.  Then go to one a bit more complex and as you progress, add a mast.  Then one with two.  Each step will increase in complexity. 

You didn't tell us where you are located so help with resources might be an issue.  The best resource is MSW and it's many Question and Answer forums as well as build logs.  Depending on where you are located, perhaps there might a member or two nearby that could help mentor you.

One final suggestion... when you find a model to build, open a build log as it's the best way to get help and meet other builders.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

If you are like most of us, you are on  the edge of a free fall that will last for 8 or 9 more years. Your interest, focus, and enthusiasm  can literally change overnight.  Too large a project that you lose interest in, can be both misspent money and a nagging mental thorn.   Being politically incorrect by being too single product focused, starting with ONE - the dory - of the Model Shipwright beginner series is a prudent option.  A deal on multiple kits is only a deal if you finish all of the kits.

You might develop an interest in the dory by watching an old, old movie:  Captains Courageous, 1937 version.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Hi Krisan,

Thank you for contacting us.

My advice is different from others and is based on my own life experiences.

I am old enough to be your grandfather.  I have been messing around building model ships and boats since I was 7 years old.  My first models were based on looking at pictures and were building using my father’s tools and scrap lumber in his workshop.  They were very crude!  My interest in model boats led me to improve my school grades to the point that I was accepted into a college program to learn how to design and build real ships.  My interest in ship models changed my life!

My advice to you is:

Decide what kind of ships you are interested in- there are 100’s of choices.

Read some books about the kind of ships that interest you.  See what your library has, or perhaps your parents can help you find some.  Once you have narrowed down your choices, ask us.  We can probably give you some ideas.

Try building some examples using the pictures in the books.  These can be very simple ones that just show the important features.  A good idea might be waterline models that just show the ship above the water.  Try to learn why ships look the way that they do.  Your first models might be crude and you will make lots of mistakes.  That’s OK!! We all do.

Ship and boat model kits are expensive.  By using materials that you can find at home, if you mess something up, it is not costing money.

The only mistake that you can make is not trying. Do not get discouraged.  Your skills and knowledge will improve as you keep trying.  

Hi, Welcome you will find all the help you need here, people go out of there way to help.   Happy Building    !!!

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,The Mayflower Amati 1:60

non Ship Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom Truck

Current Build:    Viking Ship Drakkar -Amati-1:50

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Kris, welcome to MSW. A suggestion if I may, read through as many MSW build logs as possible and see how folks go about building their models and solving problems during a build.  Note what type of tools they have and use and start collecting the tools you'll need when you start building. You should be able to buy used tools pretty cheaply and then you can upgrade as your experience and interest grow.

Wishing you the very best.......Keith

Krisan,

Many responses here are kind and welcoming, as are most people here, but they also don't seem to have actually read your question as they advise buying kits or other materials and you specifically say you want to scratch-build a ship using Sintra board and styrene. Roger's response, on the other hand, is thoughtful and quite relevant and I urge you to take it seriously.

One thing that would help us help you is to clarify what sort of ships you're interested in. 18th century sailing ships? Modern freighters? Viking longships? Small fishing boats? There are so many different options and it's hard to advise you specifically without knowing more.

However, taking your question at face value, I'll tell you about the first model ships I made, at roughly your age. I was obsessed with World War II history at the time, particularly naval history. I made a whole fleet of freighters and warships using nothing more than popsicle sticks, which I glued together face-to-face to build up hulls and superstructures, sanded or carved as needed, and painted. They actually looked quite good for how simple they were (I wish I still had photos), and were a great start in figuring out how to make three-dimensional models from basic materials. 

So with your materials, you could also use this "layer cake" approach to glue up some hulls that you could then carve or sand down to the shape you want. As Roger says, making water-line models (that don't extend below where the water would be) simplifies things at first because the most complex parts of most hulls are below water. I'm not sure what kind of styrene you have (sheets? dowels? other shapes?) but it could be cut and shaped to make masts, guns, and other parts. 

Finally, I'd say don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. Just dive in and try something, learn from it, and try again. 

Welcome to MSW 

42 minutes ago, Cathead said:

Just dive in and try something, learn from it, and try again. 

For a scratch build, this probably the best advice, if you don't try you'll never learn. And don't worry about making mistakes, everyone does, you'll more than likely learn most from them! Above all, have fun!

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Kristan,

Great advice there from Roger and Cathead.  I have never built a kit model in my life.  I think the most important first step, as has already been said, is to decide on what type of ship you want to build.  You'll do a far better job and find it much more satisfying building a model of a ship that really interests you rather than 'just building a boat'.  As for materials - use what you have.  A famous model maker from a previous generation, Harold Underhill, spent the second world war in a very remote base, but continued to build very good models using the only material available to him - pipe spills - little bits of soft wood used to light a pipe!

Be sure to ask for help and advice as you go along; that's why we're here. And remember that the only stupid question is the one you don't ask because you think it's too basic.

Have fun with your modelling.

John

Krisan, I agree there's no need for you to get a kit. You can work with what you have.

I started making ship models when I was in grade school - there were some pretty good plastic models available cheap in those days (affordable out of my pocket money), but I made two wooden models before I was old enough for high school, cut out of solid hunks of wood - both square rigged sailing ships, one with two masts, one with three. I was a sailing ship fanatic, and I had several picture books which I used as a basis. The sails were made out of art paper and the rigging was sewing cotton. I was lucky - my Dad was very supportive and he had a pretty well supplied workshop, but I mostly did it with simple hand tools - you really don't need very much to produce a good result.

Looking back on them, they were a bit rough and ready, but I was very proud of them - and even today, at the age of 72, I'm still proud of what I achieved back then.

So go for it. The members here will be very helpful - ask as many questions as you like - and (most important) enjoy yourself.

Best wishes,

Steven

Hello Krisan

You have left a few things unexplained in your request like the type of ship/period that interests you and what your intended use for the model will eventually be. RC Vs. static display, displacement hull Vs. plaining, and even military Vs. civilian in some cases.

Roger, Cathead, and Jim, (As well as others) have already given you almost the same answers I would have given and I don't think I can improve on them.  My experience ranges from cutting a pointy end onto a 2" X 4" board and dragging it through mud puddles to scale tugs and military vessels used in competition, (as well as for pleasure). I have also ran the gambit from using strictly photos to having pages of builders plans, (Or both) to build the ship. Like the others have said use what you are familiar with. Parts of one of my better builds years ago started life as a plywood doghouse!  Some of my first plans were obtained free in the British ""Model Boats" magazine. I still consider it a viable source for plans for both the beginner and advanced modeler. If the design interests you then there is a better chance you will carry it to completion.

My sole contribution to your question is the use of Sintra  and Styrene as the building materials. I fell in love with Sintra years ago and can affirm that depending on the thickness you use, it can almost be used in the same manner as wood and certainly Styrene. But you do need to remember that Sintra is PVC and you will want to use glues or solvents more suited to PVC if you want maximum strength. It is also somewhat more flexible in the thinner sheets and you may find the need to include more internal bracing than you would for an equal thickness of wood or even styrene. Within those constraints it is a fantastic material both to work with and to finish. It was originally intended for artistic uses so this would stand to reason. It is generally more flexible than wood or equal thicknesses of styrene. Can be heat formed like styrene if needed but is much lighter in general.

Good luck with your build and I for one would enjoy seeing your choice and progress.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Hello Kristan,

Welcome to the MSW forum.  I commend you for wanting to build a ship model.  I built my first watercraft model when I was about 10 years old.  As I recall, it was a canoe where you folded up the sides and sewed the bow and stern together.  I also built several plastic ship models like the Wanderer whaling ship and the 1:96 scale Constitution, Cutty Sark and Thermopylae. 

I recommend that you start small and build a kit from a reputable manufacturer.  You cannot go wrong with Bluejacket Shipcrafters or Model Shipways.  Both companies are based in the USA and have been producing ship model kits for decades.

A good first project would be a Grand Banks Dory.  This is a fishing craft that was featured in the Book Captains Courageous by Rudyard Kipling as well as the 1937 movie of the same name. Both Bluejacket and Model Shipways produce a Grand Banks Dory kit.  

You can download the instruction booklet for Model Shipways kit from their website.  This will give you an idea of what is involved in building a wooden watercraft model.  You will also learn some nautical terminology such as abaft, thwarts, gunnels, port, starboard, etc. 

Good luck with your first project.  Save the 104 gun ship of the line model for later.

Welcome to the MSW group.  I'm sure you will enjoy yourself.

Wawona59 (John)

Wawona 59

John

Next Project::  Drakkar "Oseberg" - Pavel Nikitin

Wish list for "Seattle Connection" builds:  1/96 Lumber Schooner Wawona, 1/96 Down Easter St. Paul, 1/32 Hydroplane Slo-Mo-Shun IV  

Completed Builds: Midwest - Chesapeake Bay Flattie (highly modified); Revell - 1/96 Constitution, 1/96 Thermopylae, 1/96 Cutty Sark, 1/570 Titanic; Dragon - 1/700 USS Arizona; Model Shipways - NY Pilot Boat Phantom, Aurora - Whaling Ship Wanderer, Maquette - Boeing 307 Stratoliner

I am 17, almost 18. I started at your age with the Revell USS Constitution in 1/96 scale. It turned out to be a total disaster.

My biggest piece of advice? DO NOT start with a huge, complicated kit. Start small, with maybe a 1/96 scale schooner or yacht. Something easy but challenging, that you will feel proud of but not be frustrating or beyond your level. It's what i wish i had done. Ship modelling is an intriguing hobby, and even the most experienced modeller has much left to learn. Ask questions, i know that everyone here is itching to be able to answer and share knowledge. No question is a stupid one. The world of sailing ship models will consume you, and i suggest you jump in. There is a world of fun, learning, passion, and accomplishment waiting for you. 

Welcome abroad Kris!

Plenty of good advice on here already, but as someone also new to the hobby, let me throw my 2 cents.

First, and I can't stress this enough - start small. Pick a smaller vessel from the period you're interested and start doing research on it. I started, well not big per se - maybe medium, and there were already multiple times were I felt I bit of more than I could chew. This translated to days where I didn't even feel like working on my model as it was hard to see any meaningful progress when you have so much more to do. My next model will be considerably smaller.

I'm also using non-traditional materials, although I'm 3d printing bits I design vs building them from styrene/sintra. You can definitely make a model using just those, especially if you're already pretty familiar with the material, but going against the tried-and-true methods means you might it be a little more tricky on some parts. Depending on the scale you're thinking of working, picking up some wooden coffee stirrers could also be a good idea if you'd like to add some wooden detail to your model. This is how I'm planking my decks and it works relatively well.

Finally, for me the most challenging part was the hull. I come from wargaming background and never made anything close to a realistic hull before. In the end I opted for a pre-made hull for my model, but for my next one I'm planning using free paper model plans as a template to build the frame and then plank accordingly. If you don't know where to start a paper model might be a good inspiration - especially if you're trying to figure out how you can build a ship using a single material. You could very easily take parts of that paper model and use them as a template to trace on sintra/styrene. It also will let you see progress much faster - which for me is a big factor when getting into a new hobby. I will be using that idea to create the frame for my next model.

Looking forward to seeing what you make :)

• 1 month later...

Very welcome aboard.  

If you have issues with materials or money, maybe you should try card board models? They are cheap and looks amazing and not much tools required. Or you can download ones or even make your own out of paper. Definitely don't give up ,first try something simple long boat maybe-no much rigging there not very complicated ones.