U.S. Tractor D7 “Tow Cat” by CDW - FINISHED - MiniArt - 1:35 Scale

Uncle Joe was my mentor. In 1933 Joe was born, one of 16 children all of the same mother and father on a farm in West Virginia. While his dad was away at work, an employee of Columbia Gas company, all the kids had chores to do to help keep food on the table. When Joe reached the ripe old age of 8, he decided (probably from necessity) to go to work full-time with his older cousin, Lester. Lester was a logger, driving a team of Belgian work horses to haul huge cut logs to a sawmill. In new pipeline construction, a 100-foot-wide right-of-way is cleared pushing trees off to each side. The timber was pretty much free for the taking as it most often was in locations very difficult to access and even more problematic dragging it to the sawmills. Joe learned to command his own team of horses and by the time he was 18 years old, had saved enough money to buy his own dump truck, trailer, and D6 dozer. From this humble beginning, Joe built his own multi-million-dollar gas and oil pipeline business. 

7 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

Nice hobby store you have there ! 😁😇

I agree not many have a larger stash than I do but in this case I am hopelessly outclassed.  Heck there are hobby stores with smaller inventory.😁 You do need to organize your shelfs before posting pictures though into sections of aircraft, armored, cars, ships, etc. That way I can shop easier. It could be possible you may have to either raise the ceiling or lower the floor if you get any more.

I also think that you have found the sure way to hide new models from the wife. Once they get in there she will never see it. It will be like ET in the toy pile!:ph34r:

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Mine is like that except I need to point out to her what I would like to have. A tugboat looks pretty much the same as a battleship to her!

An example was a few years ago I finally was able to locate a model of the USS Houston. It was of course in gray I had it out looking over the details and she said "Is that the Titanic"?:blink:+

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

My Admiral is pretty good with aircraft; she was a flight engineer on C-141s once upon a time. Beyond that it;s boat (Staten Island ferry or Hobie cat), or train(box car or the 20th Century Limited). She does tolerate my model building, too. 😄

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I twisted together 4 strands of 30 gauge wire to create a cable for the winch. It seems a little too much diameter so will re-do with 3 strands for a smaller diameter.

If any of you have ever been a “swamper” for a winch equipped dozer, you will have a healthy respect for steel cable. The cable will often get frayed with individual wire strands jutting out. Even with heavy leather gloves on. The sharp strands often poke through the gloves giving a painful stab wound to the hands and fingers. It’s probably hard to believe, but I would completely wear out a new pair of leather work gloves every day. Company doesn't supply them either. It’s an individual expense.

FCCD54DE-8774-4B09-AFA2-FD9B1D32D877.jpeg

Coming along really nicely  - all that  detail you are squeezing out of it.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

While there is no quick way to build the tracks, I found an organized and process flow that works well for me.

First glue a pin into one side of the link parts.

D6488238-9DE3-4B25-89B7-4B8BA78A3809.thumb.jpeg.a3b94fba49a5c14c4d8aab63be7c219e.jpeg

Note that each track pad has four alignment indents to locate the link parts.

72476DB1-896C-47C3-BC92-42B96D45BC9F.jpeg.f447851a609ff1f5b04c28a49b2c374a.jpeg

3E00D794-E839-4BCF-9FBE-D7161FC7CA2E.thumb.jpeg.7ff55e14abb8d2d2f6901cdf8a3fa033.jpeg

Slide the pin/link assembly through the preceding link and glue to pad.

09C319FB-060F-4F93-98B6-C6F871492930.thumb.jpeg.8dddf0bfc043c5a4231e347bbddf4c99.jpeg

Note that there is a right and left link part and these parts are specific for each side. Now slide the opposite link part onto the pin then glue to the track pad. Glue must not contact the pin/link part so as to remain moveable.

Classic single pin plate tracks... 

Lots of repetitive gluing.... Will look fantastic when done...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

That's excellent Brother...

The tracks have that loosely tight look they all have when run for a bit....

I take it your going to leave it in Cat Yellow rather than OD?  Excellent choice in my opinion...

She really is looking the part....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

1 hour ago, Egilman said:

That's excellent Brother...

The tracks have that loosely tight look they all have when run for a bit....

I take it your going to leave it in Cat Yellow rather than OD?  Excellent choice in my opinion...

She really is looking the part....

Yes on the yellow for this one. I have another armored version I will do in OD.

Looks like it had a dirt bath.  Long drying time - are they some kind of oils?

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Just now, Canute said:

Looks like it had a dirt bath.  Long drying time - are they some kind of oils?

Acrylics, water based, but there must be something added that slows the drying time. It's to allow some self-leveling tendencies, I think.

Kinda neat how the shader left what looks like a handprint on the toolbox. Totally unanticipated.

Edited by CDW

Excellent work.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Wow!! Absolutely awesome!

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

1 hour ago, Old Collingwood said:

Excellent work.

OC.

31 minutes ago, Edwardkenway said:

Wow!! Absolutely awesome!

31 minutes ago, Edwardkenway said:

Thanks for the comments.

Every Cat dozer I ever worked around had a hinged flap on top of the exhaust stack to keep rain and debris out. The kit did not include one, but it’s easy enough to scratch one from scrap styrene and photo etch tree material.

AAF9FE0D-E2D6-4302-B1F9-9B2A6F35F2E9.jpeg

7A79A625-7D17-4730-86B8-79F563179426.jpeg