Wasa by md1400cs - FINISHED - Corel - 1:75

A minor update, but still slowly moving forward. Here are a few pics of the installed channel deadeyes for the main mast. Thanks to all of you who are so kind spending time on my log, clicking and of course offering your thoughts; much appreciated.

As many other builders have said, close up photos are scary....I see all kinds of errors that I have made (:-) 

Regards,

Michael

post-735-0-69511500-1392057557_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-04479600-1392057567_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-89116700-1392057573_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-53300900-1392057580_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-13244200-1392057587_thumb.jpg

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

You should use the macro of your camera only for yourself to see what you made in detail, specially when you need glasses :)

I am searching here locally for a good glue to do the same as you with the deadeyes, however in our local modelbuildersshop or DIY shops without succes. I am contacting now a local glue supplier/manufacture.

Is it possible to make a picture of the glue bottle with some chemical information if available?

Jan V. 

current build: Vasa-1628 Corel / Battle Station Mantua/Panart,

previous: Statenjacht / Cross section HMS Victory / diorama shipyard

Looking good Michael,the important thing is that your are moving forward,the speed is unimportant :)

Jan,see if you can find Stabilit-Express in the modelshops.It is made in Germany and is one of the best two part glues on the market.I have used it a lot in RC builds,but it is expensive and hard to get in the UK now.It is powder and a tube as opposed to two tubes and is acrylic based but it is incredible stuff.

Kind Regards Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Well, I have an actual update that moves this build forward a tiny bit. These little bits were labor intensive, but I really enjoyed the challenge.

This also required me to make needed pulleys for the first time. Both Nigel (for wood), and Joachim (for brass) had some excellent solutions for this. I tried Nigel's method, but his skill-set is working on 12 cylinders RR. I'm still at maybe the imported turbo four-cylinder stage. Nigel, I tried and failed, but thanks for your kind explanation, which I understood.....

So, not to belabor this post, alternatively you can see my first attempts at using my Proxxon lathe to make pulleys.

Early stages looked ok. Then came the part that I had to cut and trim the grooved dowel piece in order to slip the new pulleys into the new blocks I just built (used when the mast-tackles were hauled taut [Landström]).

Hmmm no good - they looked weak. I then noticed that I had a loose cannon wheel lying about that was the same width as my dowel. Eureka, as a solution I used my Proxxon rotary tool to spin the carriage wheels in order to cut grooves; weak and inconsistent results again.

Then another thought popped in. I could use small deadeyes that are so nicely pre-grooved and then just thin their sides a bit, and just slip then in; Voilà.

Here are a few pics. of how this part of the weather deck got a detail upgrade. I'm content.

Note that one of the pics. has a bunch of beached-out deadeyes, they will be re-born as future pulleys (:-)

Again, thanks for dropping by it is always so appreciated.

PS: A big thanks to one of the other builders who used the fishing line idea for his deck treenails. So sorry I forgot who it was. with apologies (:-(   -- but I always remembered that brilliant idea.

PS2: I will be removing those incorrect fife rails, and give my milling machine a go at it, now that I'm an expert with pulleys ha ha.....I hope that the pics load in order.

Michael

post-735-0-62319100-1392858315_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-58279600-1392858323_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-07903500-1392858331_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-67922700-1392858338_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-80240300-1392858345_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-28123800-1392858353_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-06183800-1392858361_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-16741000-1392858368_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-77827700-1392858376_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-69272300-1392858385_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-63246300-1392858396_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-55272200-1392858404_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-39935700-1392858411_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-70939500-1392858418_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-11124600-1392858426_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-34601800-1392858433_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-99091200-1392858439_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-33112500-1392858446_thumb.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Wow Michael! I just can't believe this is the same kit I am building! Do I have things to learn!

Hats off!!!

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Michael,I have to hand it to you,in thirty years of doing this,I have never seen deadeyes used as pulleys!!That is some excellent out of the box thinking my friend B)  B)  B)  B)  B)  B) and they look great!!

Kind Regards Nigel

P.S.I think even RR has dropped down to eight cylinders,and stuck a couple of turbos on :D  :D but thank you anyway.

Wow, your pulleys look really fantastic! It is a good idea, I will keep it in mind for my next project!

Regards, Joachim

My new Book in ENGLISH and GERMAN available:

"The colour blue in historic shipbuilding"

http://www.modellbau-muellerschoen.de/buch-en.htm

Current build   Amerigo Vespucci    http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/836-amerigo-vespucci-by-schiffebastler-mantua-model-scale-184-italien-sail-training-ship-build-1931/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History:

http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Hi Michael

Great job on your little roller blocks, they sure do look good, almost like the snatch blocks on the bow of my Vicky. Keep the pictures coming and Enjoy.

Regards Lawrence

Lawrence,

Thanks. Your Victory is, of course,  so much more involved than this little 16th ship.

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Michael,I have to hand it to you,in thirty years of doing this,I have never seen deadeyes used as pulleys!!That is some excellent out of the box thinking my friend B)  B)  B)  B)  B)  B) and they look great!!

Kind Regards Nigel

P.S.I think even RR has dropped down to eight cylinders,and stuck a couple of turbos on :D  :D but thank you anyway.

Nigel,

Well I'm so thrilled that you saw something in my approach. The synapses were responding to absolute frustration with my inability to actually make these silly little monsters; cannibalization seemed to be an approach. To think that for this moment in time the roles were reversed---thank you (:-)

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Wow, your pulleys look really fantastic! It is a good idea, I will keep it in mind for my next project!

Regards, Joachim

Joachim,

Thank you for the nice compliment, happy that it may be useful for you as well.

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Wow Michael! I just can't believe this is the same kit I am building! Do I have things to learn!

Hats off!!!

Ulises,

Thanks so much for your very kind words. Actually I will be giving you the same compliment when I get to My rigging part - your work is so so excellent.

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

No words anymore for these wonderful details.

JanV,

Thanks for your very kind thoughts much appreciated. 

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi Mates,

Thanks for all of your very kind and supportive postings, like clicks, and also for just dropping by, all much appreciated.

Just finishing up the mizzenmast channels as well their corresponding chainplates and deadeyes. For these small and claustrophobically located deadeyes, I decided to pre-rig them. I did not trust my skills by waiting to thread the ropes. I will adjust the ropes once the shrouds are attached to the mast.   They look as though they have not been threaded correctly, but they are ok, I just need to rotate the deadeyes back and forth a bit.

I know that the channel has been mounted too low, but that has been relegated to hindsight, because stern decorative pieces would not have positioned properly (too many gaps) had I lowered the upper galleries due to my miss-calculations during stern assembly. My fault -  Grrrrr.

The last two pics. show the beginnings of the next bit; the two blocks that are mounted on those channels. I'm using balsa to create the proper shape, and angles (still a work-in-progress), and then I will cut two out of other wood.

The milling machine will get flipped on, hmmm - lets see if I can drill and groove out a proper space for the needed pulleys? On the plus-side pulleys are just already waiting in the wings for just a bit of weight loss on their sides ha ha....

Regards,

Michael

post-735-0-19756300-1393186769_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-36159200-1393186777_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-46164100-1393186786_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-19765500-1393186794_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-62623000-1393186802_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-34857200-1393186811_thumb.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Incredible looking as usual....no wonder this thing capsized with all the drippings on her. Most ornate I think I've ever seen. Nice work as usual.

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Great work Michael B) I like your approach of doing a mockup in balsa before commiting to the 'good stuff'.If you are using the 1mm cutter for the slots,only take small amounts of material off in each pass,too much feed or too great a cut results in the cutter flexing,then it just snaps ;) Success will result in a wave of thoughts along the lines of 'why didn't I get one of these machines sooner?' :D  :D I speak from experience here ;)

Kind Regards Nigel

Nigel,

Thanks for your sage advice, as this will be my first attempt I will remain cautious, and follow your protocol as you suggest. 

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Incredible looking as usual....no wonder this thing capsized with all the drippings on her. Most ornate I think I've ever seen. Nice work as usual.

John,

Thanks.

yes the ship certainly had top heavy issues. It was a brief beauty.Amazing that it is still available to see today.

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

All I can say is this gets better and better all the time. Beautiful work. Keep the pictures coming.

Wacko,

Thanks for your always generous postings, always very much appreciated.

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hola Michael, your unpainted hull sees very nice with the natural colors of wood and similar to the original in Sweden. Initialy I doubt to paint or not to paint my Vasa and in the latter if paint it blue or red.  Finally I decided to follow the original version but yours looks terrific.  Congratulations     :cheers:

Karl

She's gorgeous!! Michael........... beautiful work.

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Hola Michael, your unpainted hull sees very nice with the natural colors of wood and similar to the original in Sweden. Initialy I doubt to paint or not to paint my Vasa and in the latter if paint it blue or red.  Finally I decided to follow the original version but yours looks terrific.  Congratulations     :cheers:

Karl

Karl ¡gracias for your kind words.

I decided to use a natural darker brown wood, instead of painting because I did not trust my skills with painted wood. I have learned a lot since then. My understanding is that red was the color that the Vasa museum experts believe was used. I have been following your build it looks excellent !! red was the good choice.

Regards,

Michael

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

She's gorgeous!! Michael........... beautiful work.

Frank

Frank,

Thanks so much.

BTW I really like how you created that aged wood look on your Delta riverboat build. As a kid these boats always held that romance of the Mississippi river for me.

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hello Mates,

OK that's enough pain for one morning; such poor results. Going downstairs to make myself a second latè, maybe Irish style (:-). Then, go online and order real ropes from Syren. 

I could, arguably, get better -practice, practice, practice I get that. But this very inexpensive Model Expo Ropewalk also won't allow for really long runs. So I'm moving forward, and, I don't want to spend the big bucks for the Byrnes (excellent product from all reviews).

I don't have a closet full of pending builds. It would need several ships just to pay for itself. Deferring to the experts on ropes. Oh I will also order a complete set of pear wood blocks from Syren as well (:-)

PS: The Ropewalk's only problem is operator malfunction, I'm not in any way disparaging the product. It works (:-) Model Expo is an excellent company. In fact I bought my Corel from them, along with many  other things.

Regards,

Michael

post-735-0-07646800-1393959363_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-50177500-1393959371_thumb.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi Michael

I do see where you are coming from there.I cannot be doing with the faff of making my own,I would rather spend the time on other parts of the build.I too am considering ordering in from Chuck,including replacing the kit blocks with Pear ones,for my Caroline build.I haven't taken a sidestep to assess my requirements yet.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Edited by NMBROOK

Hi Michael

I do see where you are coming from there.I cannot be doing with the faff of making my own,I would rather spend the time on other parts of the build.I too am considering ordering in from Chuck,including replacing the kit blocks with Pear ones,for my Caroline build.I haven't taken a sidestep to assess my requirements yet.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Nigel,

Noted regarding the ropes (:-)  

BTW you made my day with the word "faff" I had not heard that word since childhood. My mom, who was born in Carlyle, ( A bit North of you) used that word all the time when speaking to my brothers and me. 

xoxo  Thanks for the memories

MIchael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -