md1400cs

Wasa by md1400cs - FINISHED - Corel - 1:75

Glad to see you doing those extra anchor supports.My kit plans actually show them but I kind of glossed over them while doing other things.So I am currently cutting holes in my bulwarks to mount them. :o Your pictures you posted are pretty nice but darned if I can figure out how they are rigged with the 2 blocks. :(

regards,Mark

Edited by marktiedens

This is such a fascinating ship, and yes I would love to see it in person.  I remember when they salvaged her way back when.....Nat Geo if I remember had a documentary on her....

This is such a fascinating ship, and yes I would love to see it in person.  I remember when they salvaged her way back when.....Nat Geo if I remember had a documentary on her....

John,

They did. In fact I believe that they were the ones who were also involved in funding the search and its subsequent resurrection. One of those "must see" ships before we turn into somebody's floor dust. 

Michael

Glad to see you doing those extra anchor supports.My kit plans actually show them but I kind of glossed over them while doing other things.So I am currently cutting holes in my bulwarks to mount them. :o Your pictures you posted are pretty nice but darned if I can figure out how they are rigged with the 2 blocks. :(

regards,Mark

I am having the same issue Mark! The photo's and drawings are not too clear on the rigging of the extra anchor supports.

Frank

Again and again I am astonished about the fantastic results you achieve with your work. Based on a good kit you manage to achive a much higher level than any kit could supply.

regards, Joachim

Again and again I am astonished about the fantastic results you achieve with your work. Based on a good kit you manage to achive a much higher level than any kit could supply.

regards, Joachim

Joachim,

Thanks so much.

But with all due respect I also think of your work when it comes to what you just kindly noted about my efforts. Your AV is so excellent. And you have built the Corel Wasa, so you certainly know its weaknesses. I still refer to yours occasionally for a look on how something should look on mine.

At the end of the day, sort of speak, Its an enjoyable challenge to add to the basic issue. However, I think that I will always need a kit from which to start. Those builders that, on the scratch side, build their ships frame-by-frame are certainly extreme artists. 

Michael

Edited by md1400cs

That looks like a fish Davit you're fitting there Michael, is a cut out to be made on the Port side to allow for corresponding use?

B.E.

That looks like a fish Davit you're fitting there Michael, is a cut out to be made on the Port side to allow for corresponding use?

B.E.

B.E.

Yes there will be one on the port side as well... And it (they) have not been sized, edge trimmed or mitered at the tips. It was just a positioning example. Though you have given me a thought, I might add long poles at the stern to allow for cod fishing, however against Swedish navy rules that might have applied at the time. That fish was certainly in abundance at that time.

Michael

High everyone,

A small, again retro, update, It seems that I still do not have enough nails in the hull, I knew that (:-). Marktiedens you're certainly laughing....

But, I did not want to add many new brass nails. The only black nails that are available are too large. JanV with his brilliant idea using Brass Black on his build log (Big Thanks to You Jan) was able to chemically blacken metal parts, especially brass with this product. Perfect solution for my build as well.

I ordered a bottle. Amazing stuff. In less than a minute much smaller, and much more within scale brass nails were turned black.  So I've been adding these to the larger longitudinal timbers along the hull. I might now remove some of the larger ones, and replace them with a bit smaller ones as an attempt to properly re-scale this effort. The larger nails are a bit out of scale, as had been pointed out to me way back when. I know that many of the "holes" are treenails, but for this build that detail is much too late. Hmmm.

Here are a few pics of the Lanström drawing, the 1:1, the 1/10th, and a few of mine, a work still in progress, again thanks for dropping by my shipyard.

Regards,

Michael

post-735-0-28159300-1389836852_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-15150500-1389836860_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-13316800-1389836867_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-12827700-1389836875_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-55804000-1389836883_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-25625100-1389836892_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-01362500-1389836899_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-84983800-1389836906_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys for your positive clicks, and remarks,

I was not too sure about this idea, but Nigel you are right the larger ones will now visually not be as prominent. Ferit your idea has great merit thanks for the thought. I have some smaller brass nails that I will blacken, then look at the 1:1 and the 1/10th and see where it leads. I do fear overdoing this I need to be careful (:-) (:-)

PS: My tempting new avatar??

Cheers,

Michael

post-735-0-45291800-1389884697_thumb.jpg

Edited by md1400cs

Just looked at your build Michael. Exceptional! Will have to take a few hours and go through a lot slower. Hope I can match your detail.  I do find it awesome to have been on/visited the ship one is building. Makes it so much more fun!

Rob

Hi everyone,

I'm still "hulling around" sort of speak. Looking around for bits of more details to incorporate onto the hull before getting serious with finishing the channels, starting weather deck cannons and then making the masts, which I fully intend to "try and make" piece by piece.

So, looking through Landström's, I noticed rudder pendants (ropes) that were used to lift the rudder into place and as a means of preventing it from floating away if its fittings suffered damage (quoted from book) so added those.

I also noted a bronze swivel-gun pushing through one of the stern openings. Vasa never carried these, but they were intended and four would have been mounted. So I added one. I am also working on cutting small metal rings (which will painted white) to detail those round holes.

Last year, as the ship was standing on its nose, I snapped the tip of the bow, now it is protected, however uncomfortable I am with the boat standing on its nose. Pics are self-explanatory, but a couple of remarks;

The rudder ropes "stuck out" from each side of the rudder with big curves, and didn't look realistic. I used a glue that Ferit has recommended for rigging (G-S Hypo Cement) Excellent; it dried on each side of the two ropes allowing for more of a right angle look (Thanks Ferit brilliant product)

On the stern starboard side a cannon is missing. Well after THREE falling into the dark hole (with the dowel extensions), I gave up (for now) the ship now has a lot of rattles...and, I'm running out of replacement weapons.

There were two cannons already mounted, but I removed them, as they seemed too large for the stern. These (this) replacement were (is) smaller. Hmm Lastly real close ups are very scary they so highlight the weaknesses, glue, errors, should I go on??....

Regards,

Michael D

post-735-0-07851400-1390084811_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-78629600-1390084818_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-53602400-1390084827_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-88603600-1390084834_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-50850900-1390084842_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-08276200-1390084853_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-04533700-1390084860_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-09923300-1390084867_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-60346500-1390084874_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-91832300-1390084883_thumb.jpg

Just looked at your build Michael. Exceptional! Will have to take a few hours and go through a lot slower. Hope I can match your detail.  I do find it awesome to have been on/visited the ship one is building. Makes it so much more fun!

Rob

Rob,

Thanks for the kind words as well as an interest in re-visiting my log-very nice of you. 

Cheers,

Michael D

Hi Michael,

It's cheerful to hear that the glue works :) ...

I keenly prefer mounted guns on their places... Following your choice of adding more details is spectacular...

Upon close inspection of the close ups, your ship still looks amazing! Weaknesses??

I did not realize just how big this ship was. The pic of it standing on its nose leaning against the bench is an eye opener. It's as tall as a child!

Edited by Salty Sea Dog

OK I want to go to THIS party !!!!

I was to one of these parties when the firm I worked for celebrated a jubilee fifteen years ago and rented the museum for the evening. They had a lot of 17th century food on the menu, oodles of different herrings and salted meat. The beer went down easily after that.  :cheers:

But my best memory of the ship is as a kid when my school class were actually allowed on board to tread the decks. Definitely not allowed anymore, unless you are a visiting head of state (Obama was the latest last summer). Only wish I had better sense and a better camera as a kid. Just a few bleached-out instamatics remain of that visit of a lifetime in the 1960s...

Per

Edited by Per

Upon close inspection of the close ups, your ship still looks amazing! Weaknesses??

I did not realize just how big this ship was. The pic of it standing on its nose leaning against the bench is an eye opener. It's as tall as a child!

Buck,

Thanks for your very nice comments. Regarding size; a short child. The ship is only 33" (83cm) 1/75th scale. It is actually resting on the edge of a child's table (23") so may appear much taller if your mindset thinks of a normal table hight. 

Michael

Edited by md1400cs

Some very nice touches Michael.Do you plan on fitting all four Swivel guns?

Kind Regards Nigel

Nigel, I have not decided at this point. I would need to actually purchase four and cut them by 2/3 thirds. Four may be "over-kill" But Ferit's point is well taken that all guns should be mounted. 

Michael D

Edited by md1400cs

I was to one of these parties when the firm I worked for celebrated a jubilee fifteen years ago and rented the museum for the evening. They had a lot of 17th century food on the menu, oodles of different herrings and salted meat. The beer went down easily after that.  :cheers:

But my best memory of the ship is as a kid when my school class were actually allowed on board to tread the decks. Definitely not allowed anymore, unless you are a visiting head of state (Obama was the latest last summer). Only wish I had better sense and a better camera as a kid. Just a few bleached-out instamatics remain of that visit of a lifetime in the 1960s...

Per

Per,

Thanks for sharing that astonishing opportunity. That must have been so so memorable. Great luck!!

I do wish that at least, the museum would have some scaffolded walkway. Something similar to this, larger and have it just cross over to the other side. It would also allow great photographs to be taken from a new vantage point. Again cheers for your excellent experience. 

PS: Next time Pres. Obama stops by my home for dinner I will ask him how he liked his visit to the Vasa (:-)

Michael

post-735-0-49622700-1390168174_thumb.jpg

Hi Michael

You are doing a fantastic job on your little ship, your little touches sure do show the rest of us what can be done to enhance a model ship log. You are full of surprises, I love that and your end results are great, Enjoy.

Regards Lawrence

Hi Michael

You are doing a fantastic job on your little ship, your little touches sure do show the rest of us what can be done to enhance a model ship log. You are full of surprises, I love that and your end results are great, Enjoy.

Regards Lawrence

Lawrence,

Thanks so much, I really appreciate your thoughts. Though I have gained much of my knowledge by also visiting other builds here at MSW. They are a constant source of reciprocal inspiration as well. Learning from each other is a great catalyst for improving one's skill sets, as well as trying to "raise our personal bars".

Michael 

I see that you have also installed rudder chains.Been wondering what those 2 decorated openings were for.I could never find out for sure whether that was their purpose.Still trying to decide whether to put them on mine. :mellow:

/Mark

Edited by marktiedens