Wasa by md1400cs - FINISHED - Corel - 1:75

Interesting picture Michael.  It must erally be a sight to see the real one.  I know this has been answered before, but where is she located again?

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Interesting picture Michael.  It must erally be a sight to see the real one.  I know this has been answered before, but where is she located again?

John,

In Stockholm at the Vasa Musett. You as a fan of visiting ships this is highly recommended. It is the second most visited museum in Europe, with over a million visitors a year. Of course the ride to get over there aint cheap (:-)

PS: Do NOT visit Stockholm in the dead of Winter. !

---------------------------

OOPs  JanV had just answered above. (Winter still holds)

MIchael

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Hi everyone,

Firstly happy New Year (:-)

Taking a break from building the channels I thought that the perpendicular anchor catheads would be good time filler. As you note, this small update is just a starting point. That timber is wrong as well.

Ouch, on the view from on the weather deck pic you can see two small holes just to the right of the cathead timber. These two pilot holes I drilled to determine the height, as it would come through on the weather deck. Well, I drilled these from the outside of the hull and grrrrr, they were in the wrong place.

I should know better than to work in the shipyard only one day after New Year's Eve.

PS: As you can see in the first pic the 1:1 at one time had those mounted, but no longer. Maybe it was a weight issue?

Michael

post-735-0-96988000-1388710446_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-58029400-1388710455_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-92327000-1388710462_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-42448400-1388710475_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-41586400-1388710483_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-95480400-1388710489_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-53869400-1388710496_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-55598700-1388710503_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-37346500-1388710510_thumb.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

OK I want to go to THIS party !!!!

post-735-0-60443900-1388792083_thumb.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

OMG. Is this a public event??? When I retire I will attend one of these!!! :)

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Great work Michael and that looks like it will be a great party B) I never knew about those additional supports for stowing the anchor,I know now you have mentioned that they have been removed from the original,but I have never noticed them on a model of vasa before.

Kind Regards Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Glad to see you doing those extra anchor supports.My kit plans actually show them but I kind of glossed over them while doing other things.So I am currently cutting holes in my bulwarks to mount them. :o Your pictures you posted are pretty nice but darned if I can figure out how they are rigged with the 2 blocks. :(

regards,Mark

Edited by marktiedens

current build - HMS Vanguard - Model Shipways

This is such a fascinating ship, and yes I would love to see it in person.  I remember when they salvaged her way back when.....Nat Geo if I remember had a documentary on her....

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

This is such a fascinating ship, and yes I would love to see it in person.  I remember when they salvaged her way back when.....Nat Geo if I remember had a documentary on her....

John,

They did. In fact I believe that they were the ones who were also involved in funding the search and its subsequent resurrection. One of those "must see" ships before we turn into somebody's floor dust. 

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Glad to see you doing those extra anchor supports.My kit plans actually show them but I kind of glossed over them while doing other things.So I am currently cutting holes in my bulwarks to mount them. :o Your pictures you posted are pretty nice but darned if I can figure out how they are rigged with the 2 blocks. :(

regards,Mark

I am having the same issue Mark! The photo's and drawings are not too clear on the rigging of the extra anchor supports.

Frank

Again and again I am astonished about the fantastic results you achieve with your work. Based on a good kit you manage to achive a much higher level than any kit could supply.

regards, Joachim

My new Book in ENGLISH and GERMAN available:

"The colour blue in historic shipbuilding"

http://www.modellbau-muellerschoen.de/buch-en.htm

Current build   Amerigo Vespucci    http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/836-amerigo-vespucci-by-schiffebastler-mantua-model-scale-184-italien-sail-training-ship-build-1931/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History:

http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Again and again I am astonished about the fantastic results you achieve with your work. Based on a good kit you manage to achive a much higher level than any kit could supply.

regards, Joachim

Joachim,

Thanks so much.

But with all due respect I also think of your work when it comes to what you just kindly noted about my efforts. Your AV is so excellent. And you have built the Corel Wasa, so you certainly know its weaknesses. I still refer to yours occasionally for a look on how something should look on mine.

At the end of the day, sort of speak, Its an enjoyable challenge to add to the basic issue. However, I think that I will always need a kit from which to start. Those builders that, on the scratch side, build their ships frame-by-frame are certainly extreme artists. 

Michael

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

That looks like a fish Davit you're fitting there Michael, is a cut out to be made on the Port side to allow for corresponding use?

B.E.

B.E.

Yes there will be one on the port side as well... And it (they) have not been sized, edge trimmed or mitered at the tips. It was just a positioning example. Though you have given me a thought, I might add long poles at the stern to allow for cod fishing, however against Swedish navy rules that might have applied at the time. That fish was certainly in abundance at that time.

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

• 2 weeks later...

High everyone,

A small, again retro, update, It seems that I still do not have enough nails in the hull, I knew that (:-). Marktiedens you're certainly laughing....

But, I did not want to add many new brass nails. The only black nails that are available are too large. JanV with his brilliant idea using Brass Black on his build log (Big Thanks to You Jan) was able to chemically blacken metal parts, especially brass with this product. Perfect solution for my build as well.

I ordered a bottle. Amazing stuff. In less than a minute much smaller, and much more within scale brass nails were turned black.  So I've been adding these to the larger longitudinal timbers along the hull. I might now remove some of the larger ones, and replace them with a bit smaller ones as an attempt to properly re-scale this effort. The larger nails are a bit out of scale, as had been pointed out to me way back when. I know that many of the "holes" are treenails, but for this build that detail is much too late. Hmmm.

Here are a few pics of the Lanström drawing, the 1:1, the 1/10th, and a few of mine, a work still in progress, again thanks for dropping by my shipyard.

Regards,

Michael

post-735-0-28159300-1389836852_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-15150500-1389836860_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-13316800-1389836867_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-12827700-1389836875_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-55804000-1389836883_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-25625100-1389836892_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-01362500-1389836899_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-84983800-1389836906_thumb.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Great work with the nails Michael B) I think with things like this it has to be all or nothing.If you represent fastenings,then you really need to do them all otherwise the eye tends to focus on them too much.I don't think the larger nails will be anywhere near as prominent with the smaller nails in place.

Kind Regards Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Thanks guys for your positive clicks, and remarks,

I was not too sure about this idea, but Nigel you are right the larger ones will now visually not be as prominent. Ferit your idea has great merit thanks for the thought. I have some smaller brass nails that I will blacken, then look at the 1:1 and the 1/10th and see where it leads. I do fear overdoing this I need to be careful (:-) (:-)

PS: My tempting new avatar??

Cheers,

Michael

post-735-0-45291800-1389884697_thumb.jpg

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Now THERE'S someone a girl could take home to meet Mum (Mom, for my American friends).

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Hi everyone,

I'm still "hulling around" sort of speak. Looking around for bits of more details to incorporate onto the hull before getting serious with finishing the channels, starting weather deck cannons and then making the masts, which I fully intend to "try and make" piece by piece.

So, looking through Landström's, I noticed rudder pendants (ropes) that were used to lift the rudder into place and as a means of preventing it from floating away if its fittings suffered damage (quoted from book) so added those.

I also noted a bronze swivel-gun pushing through one of the stern openings. Vasa never carried these, but they were intended and four would have been mounted. So I added one. I am also working on cutting small metal rings (which will painted white) to detail those round holes.

Last year, as the ship was standing on its nose, I snapped the tip of the bow, now it is protected, however uncomfortable I am with the boat standing on its nose. Pics are self-explanatory, but a couple of remarks;

The rudder ropes "stuck out" from each side of the rudder with big curves, and didn't look realistic. I used a glue that Ferit has recommended for rigging (G-S Hypo Cement) Excellent; it dried on each side of the two ropes allowing for more of a right angle look (Thanks Ferit brilliant product)

On the stern starboard side a cannon is missing. Well after THREE falling into the dark hole (with the dowel extensions), I gave up (for now) the ship now has a lot of rattles...and, I'm running out of replacement weapons.

There were two cannons already mounted, but I removed them, as they seemed too large for the stern. These (this) replacement were (is) smaller. Hmm Lastly real close ups are very scary they so highlight the weaknesses, glue, errors, should I go on??....

Regards,

Michael D

post-735-0-07851400-1390084811_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-78629600-1390084818_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-53602400-1390084827_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-88603600-1390084834_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-50850900-1390084842_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-08276200-1390084853_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-04533700-1390084860_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-09923300-1390084867_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-60346500-1390084874_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-91832300-1390084883_thumb.jpg