Wasa by md1400cs - FINISHED - Corel - 1:75

Ahoy Michael :D

Your log is an amazing journey. I remember when I first found it. I always look forward to seeing what you will do next.

Thx

JP,

Thanks the admiration is certainly mutual (:-)

Your log has also been such a pleasure to follow. I've learned a lot from your very copious and well illustrated postings. Your Rattlesnake is super. 

PS: Good luck with your Victory as well. That ship separates the adults from the children (I'm just a "teen" so far)

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

• 2 weeks later...

Not an update, but my favorite son (we only have one child) got his dad an early Christmas present. It showed up yesterday. Hmmmm so happy. I think that my need for tools is over, now just more ships (:-) Presently working on the Vasa chain plates.

Regards,

Michael

post-735-0-65418000-1386203009_thumb.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Outstanding, I hope someday I can get one too.  I had a Sherline Mill and  a lathe, but lost them in a divorce....nice machines.....enjoy

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Lovely new machine, that's on my wish list too!

Frank it's a Proxxon MF70. Specs list is here: http://www.proxxon.com/en/micromot/27110.php

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

That is a nice machine, it is also on my wishlist.

I shall forward your post to my son and daughter for a late birthday present  :D  but I expect that I have to buy this later myself :mellow:

Looking forward to see your results of scratch parts for the Vasa and other new models

Jan V. 

current build: Vasa-1628 Corel / Battle Station Mantua/Panart,

previous: Statenjacht / Cross section HMS Victory / diorama shipyard

That's a fine present Michael, and one I think you will make great use of, did you receive the milling bits as well? the standard Proxxon set is 1mm 2mm and 3mm bits, but they also do a smaller range in 0.6mm 0.8mm.

B.E.

B.E.

Thanks, no I did not get the Proxxon bits. I do, however have four end bits that range from .8 mm to 2.mm. I got these through an Amazon vendor in Israel. They seem to be of very good quality. I will look for the larger ones through Proxxon thanks for the tip.

PS: Do you have this as well? I'm tempted. I know that you are very happy with your MF70 from Proxxon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0029VQO58/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

That is a sweet looking machine Michael. Now my question is: how do I get on your son's 'nice' list?  :) :) :)

Dave, 

Funny thank.

I then linked on your Constitution log. WHOA beautiful work. I will now follow your build. Very creative work. I'm happy that you dropped by and posted.

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi Michael

What a fantastic little milling machine you received for Christmas, I bet that you are skeaming of all the ways that you can use such a great machine. I do however wonder just how your son knew just witch on that you would like!!! It's a fantastic x-mass gift one that you will be proud of and fun to use for years to come.  Enjoy .

Regards   Lawrence

Hi Lawrence,

Thanks, yes it is a great gift one that I will use for a long time. Certainly a "must have" kind of tool for detailed work. I'm looking forward to learning how to use it.

In regards to your question, My son noticed that I was getting much more "serious" with this hobby as this build progressed. He also noted that I had been purchasing some tools here and there. So he asked me what else I had on my shopping list. The MF 70 was the last on the list. As they say how your structure a list could come back to haunt you (:-) 

His mom told me that he actually intended to surprise me an iPad Air, but I had gotten one a few weeks ago (I was still tugging along with a first generation antique). So he needed to fill the gap. Perfect! Funnily enough he has absolutely no interest in this hobby, but he appreciates the effort and time involved. Thanks for asking, very kind.

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

That's a very nice prezzie,congratulations Michael.I am sure you will put it to good use ;)

Kind Regards Nigel

Nigel,

Thanks

Oh my it's 2:20 a.m. where you are in the UK as you responded. Must be that black tea keeping you up, or is it your SOS (:-)

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Lol,no Royal Caroline,a new build log,the first post explains everything so I won't waffle on your log.Been having much fun bending ebony wales,only finished half an hour ago :D  :D  :D .

Kind Regards Nigel

Nigel,

No need to waffle, as you might have assumed I'm looking forward to visiting your new build log.

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi Everyone,

revised posting  from yesterday's 

Part 1 of 2; chain-plate installations.

Nothing new here, I've mirrored how most of you install these when there are no bracing timbers above or below the plates. In regard to this build there is, of course, an other error.

The chain-plates, above the galleries, are to be attached to the hull upon, or just below large longitudinal timbers that run the length of the upper outer hull. I did not install these on each side. In deference to Corel their instructions were correct, I just missed it. I have an idea for a fix.

Again, thanks to all of you for spending time here.

Regards,

Michael

post-735-0-92094600-1386454606_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-86452700-1386454616_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-84594000-1386454624_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-89625600-1386454630_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-21389700-1386454638_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-50877600-1386454645_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-38076100-1386454653_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-34416800-1386454664_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-84053400-1386454688_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-94459900-1386454697_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-69852100-1386454704_thumb.jpg

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi Michael

I popped back in following your post,to comment and you changed it :D I shall wait to see your idea ;)

Kind Regards Nigel

Nigel,

Thanks, so nice of you to look back in for a response. I have decided to add the two missing longitudinal planks. For the fix I also want to also try out the milling tool,

I just need to figure out how to brace long thin strips of wood to add a groove to the two long trim pieces (see pic below). The idea is to emulate the 1/10th. That yellow piece in the pic is what I would like it to look like. 

However the trim pieces are only 3 mm wide, and some 50 mm long,  so my lack of any skills with this new mill may cause a bit of frustration. Alternatively I will just forgo the grooves.

Regards,

Michael

post-735-0-15637300-1386634024_thumb.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Looking good! I also have the Corel kit - may try something really different like extremely weathered with no paint like the 1:1.

Hello. Just a word of caution here. Unless you want to show the ship as she looks in the museum, remember that Vasa did not have time to "weather" or to show signs of wear and tear. She navigated only about one hour. ;)

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Michael. You are setting the bar really high for all of us Vasa builders. I just look at your work and have nothing but words of praise. Keep posting your advances. Thank you.

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Michael. You are setting the bar really high for all of us Vasa builders. I just look at your work and have nothing but words of praise. Keep posting your advances. Thank you.

Ulises,

SO nice of you thanks. Very much appreciated. But rigging may be my Achilles heal. I will certainly NOT reach your level of art.

MIchael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi Michael, 

congratulations to your new machine! I am sure, after some attempts with it, you will realize wonderful results.

Concerning rigging, I see no major problems for you. In the past you showed us so much skill, therefore I am sure, you will also solve the rigging perfectely.

Bye Joachim

My new Book in ENGLISH and GERMAN available:

"The colour blue in historic shipbuilding"

http://www.modellbau-muellerschoen.de/buch-en.htm

Current build   Amerigo Vespucci    http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/836-amerigo-vespucci-by-schiffebastler-mantua-model-scale-184-italien-sail-training-ship-build-1931/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History:

http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Hi everyone,

Well this update makes me very happy. It highlights my first attempt at using the Proxxon MF 70.

Challenge: As noted in the just previous post, I did not add two long trim pieces that would then secure the mizzen mast chainplates on each side of the hull just above the lower galleries.  The first two pics of the 1/10th(yellow trims) highlight what I need to accomplish.

The big conundrum was how could I add the grooves that run along those two pieces using the MF 70. The pics below illustrate my solution.

I used a balsa block as a guide for the strips. Balsa seemed the best because I could run a very tight groove as the two strips were being pulled through, and the balsa would "give a little" but keep the strips straight. 

I then cut another wider upper gap trench in the balsa block favoring one side because when I would run the strips through, the needed groove was not in the center. You can note this in the 1/10th pics.

After attaching the groove bit, I tried a couple of sample strips. Didn't want to go too deep and then end up cracking the trim pieces, as they will need to be bend slightly to follow along the hull lines.

Well I'm really happy about how this turned out. This MF 70 will be a huge asset for improving my skills. I'm also super happy with how tight the Proxxon tolerances are; very slight two or three millimeter adjustments in the X Y Z axis created adjustments just where I wanted the bit to bite. Five stars for this tool.

Now a bit more detailing, sanding, adding nail holes, painting and installing the strips, and I can move forward with part two of the chainplates.

A bit wordy, this post, but I'm like a child with a new toy. (:-) This first use of the tool was very basic, but swimming always starts at the shallow end. Thanks for looking in.

Regards,

Michael

post-735-0-86255000-1386736147_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-39426200-1386736154_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-64372200-1386736161_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-54382600-1386736171_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-22131700-1386736178_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-96256200-1386736184_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-06510600-1386736193_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-08166900-1386736201_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-31785400-1386736209_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-84566400-1386736216_thumb.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Congratulation to your new toy.

Hi Everyone,

revised posting  from yesterday's 

Part 1 of 2; chain-plate installations.

Nothing new here, I've mirrored how most of you install these when there are no bracing timbers above or below the plates. In regard to this build there is, of course, an other error.

The chain-plates, above the galleries, are to be attached to the hull upon, or just below large longitudinal timbers that run the length of the upper outer hull. I did not install these on each side. In deference to Corel their instructions were correct, I just missed it. I have an idea for a fix.

Again, thanks to all of you for spending time here.

Regards,

Michael

Hi Michael,

I made it the same way, but I think you mean the "Channels", chain plates are different things.

Cheers

Lin Feng

Well done! I very nearly pulled the trigger on this machine today. I would like to see more posts like this one, where you show how you use your machine. It might push me over the edge :) 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Congratulation to your new toy.

Hi Michael,

I made it the same way, but I think you mean the "Channels", chain plates are different things.

Cheers

Lin Feng

Ling,

Yes you are right. Thanks there are distinctions. I pulled this out of an online nautical term dictionary.

CHAIN-PLATES. Thick iron plates bolted to the ship's sides, and to which the chains and dead-eyes that support the masts by the shrouds are connected.

CHAINS, or CHANNELS, or CHAINWALES. Broad thick planks, bolted edgeways against the ship's sides, abreast and abaft the masts, used to extend the shrouds from each other, and from the head of the masts.

The Vasa used wood channels. Thanks for the clarification.

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Great work Michael and a nice solution to the problem.Had a similar set up earlier in the week trying to put a groove in some ebony trim.Unfortunately it just resulted in a snapped cutter.I am going to have to use the bed and do it in sections on account of the hardness of the wood.

Kind Regards Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

It's nice to see the mill in operation.....thanks for the illustrations.....your ship is magnificent....love the details....

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com