Wasa by md1400cs - FINISHED - Corel - 1:75

Love that Starboard quarter shot of Wasa Michael, what a class build she looks.

I'm with Nigel on the 'faffing' about trying to make stuff when I can get a quality bought in product, ropes and blocks are a prime example.

'Faffing' is alive and well in these 'ere parts, but then I'm not far from Nigel :)

B.E.

B.E.

Thanks for the compliment, it is certainly nice to read this from such an artist as you are. Very much appreciated.

Ah the "old World" how nice it is to hang on to traditions, including active vocabulary. This word being originally British, never got exported to our side of the pond. I need to start using it to confuse my friends (:-)

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Michael, I've been to your build log early on but realized it's been a long time since then.  Great fun seeing your innovations with deadeyes and snatch blocks.  It is a real challenge building a model of a ship recovered with most of the superstructure lost to the quarterdeck.  On the "Victory" I have hundreds of photographs of the real ship for reference.  Having never been to Sweden, I'll follow your 'Wasa" with even greater interest.  Your model is superb and tells the story so much better than the original.  Cheers, Gil

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/485-hmsHMS Victory by Gil Middleton - JoTika - 1:72

really looks great Michael, I understand there is nothing like Chuck's ropes....probably make things easier for you.

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Just a word of caution guys. If you are going through the expense of buying your ropes, plan very carefully every rigging step. Remember that ropes are the commodity that is the most wasted in our hobby, (IMO). Just think how much rope there is actually in a knot, and how much rope you need to tie it, then you trim off a large amount of thread. Use a locally available cheap thread to do your seizings; don't waste your expensive rope here. Also, when calculating how much rope you are going to need for your ship, take into account the coils. Some people don't and then fall short.

Hope this helps!

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Michael, I've been to your build log early on but realized it's been a long time since then.  Great fun seeing your innovations with deadeyes and snatch blocks.  It is a real challenge building a model of a ship recovered with most of the superstructure lost to the quarterdeck.  On the "Victory" I have hundreds of photographs of the real ship for reference.  Having never been to Sweden, I'll follow your 'Wasa" with even greater interest.  Your model is superb and tells the story so much better than the original.  Cheers, Gil

Gil,

Thanks so much for visiting my build. Your very kind remarks are so appreciated, especially coming form such an artist as yourself. Thanks again very touching....

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Just a word of caution guys. If you are going through the expense of buying your ropes, plan very carefully every rigging step. Remember that ropes are the commodity that is the most wasted in our hobby, (IMO). Just think how much rope there is actually in a knot, and how much rope you need to tie it, then you trim off a large amount of thread. Use a locally available cheap thread to do your seizings; don't waste your expensive rope here. Also, when calculating how much rope you are going to need for your ship, take into account the coils. Some people don't and then fall short.

Hope this helps!

Ulises,

Thank you for the advice. At this point Syren will fill my needs, I did order a lot of rope (:-) though not enough, yet, for all of the rigging. I'm happy to help Chuck at Syren. But he is actually helping me (:-)

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Michael I was contemplating this kit and thus headed to your build log to do some research. It appears that the stern of this kit is much too narrow. Since the early part of your build is lost, I am not sure if this can be easily remedied. It seems as if quite a few frames need to be fabricated to correct this problem? Or do you think there is an easier fix? From your pictures it looks as if the stern needs to be wider by at least 1.5cm.

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Keith,

Hi, thanks so much for dropping by. When I started this log, I did not include the very early stages, as those tend to be very redundant for so many kit builds. However in the case of the Corel's Vasa it could be informative in that Corel very much miss-managed the shape of the stern. Here are some early pics of the build. I hope that they are helpful. I followed the kit plans to a "T".

With regard to adding 8 mm per side it would, I think create other issues.

1) it would sort of "Bow" outward the entire stern as you would need to add girth from the keel up to the weather deck. You would have to start a bit aft of mid-ship to still create proper longitudinal look to the hull

2) it would probably create larger gaps when you install the decorative pieces. Note on my build that I did not broaden the stern and there still are minor gaps in the spacing of the "wooden" decorative artwork. See the museum photo compared to mine, everything is tightly connected. Widening the stern may not look good, given the sizes of Corel's gilded parts.

The primary issue with this kit is the mis-shaped stern, which I did manage to fix after the fact. Now that is an area you could easily circumvent during the initial stages.

As I went along, I was very self critical with certain failures, on my part, that could have been avoided had I also referred to other sources during early build stages. I've learned a lot since. The Corel is a nice kit, though it is the least accurate of the three available commercially. With much extra detail work it will produce an acceptable and beautiful build. All of my friends who know nothing about this ship think its perfect--funny, only we fanatics here at MSW, especially Vasa builders will be able to see the errors among the kits. I've droned on a bit too long (:-)

If you have any other questions, please post them. I'm very happy to assist in any way I can. And as I said, if your scroll through what I've criticized of my work, it will certainly be helpful for you to  avoid if you decide on the Corel.

MIchael

post-735-0-75966000-1394472967_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-38669400-1394472987_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-39767400-1394473000_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-03947800-1394473018_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-57253800-1394473030_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-03760400-1394473043_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-16603800-1394473080_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-15729600-1394473094_thumb.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Thanks for your reply, Michael. Believe it or not I have actually had a good, detailed look at your pictures and compared them to the pictures I have of the original and the scale replica in the museum. I did notice that some of the ornamentation seems uncomfortably crowded at places but with gaps in some others. I am not criticizing your build, you are doing a marvellous job. But I do question if the kit designers got it right, and your answer seems to confirm my suspicions. I guess my question is whether it would be possible to rectify these flaws if a new build from the same kit was attempted. Your reply suggests that it would be too difficult - not only would I have to fabricate all the frames (something I don't have an issue with), but I might have to redo the carvings as well (a definite no-no for me!). I guess that makes up my mind for me - thank you very much.

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Keith,

Noted. Thanks for the nice words. In retrospect I would have opted for the Sergal/Mantua. It is larger, but much closer to the 1-1

I have seen your previous work. You are so talented. A Wasa, other than the Corel, would be much better for your needs.

If were to start this project again I would also use this absolutely beautiful Sergal example as a guide. This artist is about as good as it gets for this ship, and this hobby.

(Moderators! I hope that I'm not breaking any rules by posting this link, if I am please let me know and I will re-write this post.)

http://warshipvasa.freeforums.net/thread/84/shels-vasa-completed           such a beautiful example 

PS: Hindsight is always so 20/20 

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi Mates,

Gun carriages part one.

Moving forward knowing that I still needed to finish up some deadeye channel plates, but I needed a "fresh" task. I was in the doldrums.

So, since it's really time for thinking about the weather deck cannons, here are some preliminary details. Having fun with this.....

Choices were to install Corel issued cannons and carriages or disregard these. I had already purchased some decorative cannons so the real decision was; should I use Corel carriages or build some. Easy choice.

Pics are fairly self-explanatory.

First pic is what Corel offered.

Second pic is taken from the museum upper gun deck. Carriages are much boxier.

The "M” I used as a template for aligning the sides during gluing.

I did not have a wide enough piece of timber to make the bases so I glued two pieces together and then shaped them to the correct width.

The first semi-completed carriage is just a sample. I will need to adjust the cannon placement. Its a bit too far aft, but you get the idea. Also sanding and further detailing will follow, along with grooves for the axles. I will use smaller wheels for the rear.

I have all of the metal bits, hooks, wheel metal rings, and beautiful blocks and ropes that I just received from Chuck at Syren.

Yes, I know that the weather deck cannons are incorrect for the Vasa, but in this instance I don't care (:-)

Lastly I just received a set of 50 decorative cannons for the upper and lower gun decks. So all of the cannons will at least match. Again, thanks so much for dropping by it is so appreciated.

Regards,

Michael

post-735-0-43685400-1394765896_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-68407700-1394765903_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-74222500-1394765913.jpg

post-735-0-96700500-1394765922_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-96176600-1394765931_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-40403700-1394765939_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-17559800-1394765947_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-65187200-1394765954_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-36607500-1394765962_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-96300300-1394765968_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-41929200-1394765975_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-65286600-1394765981_thumb.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Your scratchbuilt carriage lots fantastic Michael B)  B) Absolutely no comparison with Corel's offering.The cannons look far more inkeeping with Vasa,nothing wrong with Corel's example,just not right for this time period.I have a feeling I have seen those cannon's somewhere else ;)

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Your scratchbuilt carriage lots fantastic Michael B)  B) Absolutely no comparison with Corel's offering.The cannons look far more inkeeping with Vasa,nothing wrong with Corel's example,just not right for this time period.I have a feeling I have seen those cannon's somewhere else ;)

Kind Regards

Nigel

Nigel,

Thanks much appreciated, Yes you have seen these cannons before. Here is the link for my source. Very nice people, I have traded with them several times. Quickly crossing the pond, and my continent is never an issue, now that the days of Imperial Airways is over.

http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/amati-cannon-barrels.html

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Nigel,

Thanks much appreciated, Yes you have seen these cannons before. Here is the link for my source. Very nice people, I have traded with them several times. Quickly crossing the pond, and my continent is never an issue, now that the days of Imperial Airways is over.

Michael

Hi Michael

Yes I have a container full of them for my SOTS build :)  :)  :) I think short of ordering from A.Banarov in the Ukraine,they are the nicest decorative cannons on the market.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Hi Michael

Yes I have a container full of them for my SOTS build :)  :)  :) I think short of ordering from A.Banarov in the Ukraine,they are the nicest decorative cannons on the market.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Nigel,

Would you have a link to his website? I Googled A.Banarov   and it linked me back to MSW on a thread about casting one's own cannons, but nothing about this source. I would like to take a look at this vender's products. Thanks in advance

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi Michael

No problem,you will need to download the PDFs for an exact listing.I will build another Soleil Royal at 1/50 just so I can use his artillery.When you see them,you will see why :D  :D  :D A friendly warning though,the exemplary quality of his work does come at a price :huh:  :huh:

http://www.shipmodels.com.ua/eng/accessories/index.htm

Kind Regards

Nigel

Agree with Nigel, those kit supplied carriages are too chunky.  Much better to scratch build them.

Brian,

Thanks so much for looking in, as well as commenting. I so appreciate it.

I have seen one example of your (on MSW) rarely seen work ! It would be so nice if you posted pics. more often. I understand, as you have stated, that you might not be a "tech" friendly type of guy, but we are all missing on your very nice art. You are very knowledgeable. Please share (:-)

But none-the-less thanks for dropping by.

Regards,

MIchael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Michael,

I am impressed, as always, with your level of detail! And I am lucky that I am a few steps behind you, so that I can learn from your experiences.

Do you plan to paint the guns and/or the carriages?

regards, Andre

Completed:

Catalina from Mamoli (1/32)

European small river ship (scratch build) (1/50)

Currently building: Wasa from Corel (1/75)

Future: Titanic (Mantua), Batavia (Kolderstok), Friesland (Mamoli), Bismarck (Hachette), Prins Willem (Corel)

Nigel,

Michael

Nigel,

OMG these cannons are the very top of the pyramid. So beautiful. What an artist ! Thanks for the link. Won't work for the Vasa, but for an SOS build,  Hmmmm

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Nigel,

You are my hero, it's 23:15 in the UK and you're still awake (:-) !!

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Still early for me Michael :D  :D Doesn't help one of my favourite films 'Killer Elite' is on TV.I am afraid Alex's cannons don't cover the unusual scale of 1/84 of the SOTS.I do intend to build Soleil Royal again to 1/50 to use his artillery one day but the cost is that of a whole kit so will have to wait a little while.They are amazing,he does 'farm out' the actual casting process,but the guns are produced from wax masters that he makes and then hand finished by himself!This link guides you through his process

http://forum.modelsworld.ru/topic4685start0.html-sid=98307d662fa12fc0998fe9fda6324fa4

Kind Regards

Nigel

Michael,

I am impressed, as always, with your level of detail! And I am lucky that I am a few steps behind you, so that I can learn from your experiences.

Do you plan to paint the guns and/or the carriages?

regards, Andre

Andre,

Thanks for dropping by, and thanks for the nice thoughts. I'm happy that this build is occasionally helpful for you. Your Vasa is so gorgeous. Your kit is by far the most accurate of the three available. No I will not paint the carriages, in keeping with the natural wood look of the build.If  I were to paint them red, they would (on my ship) look a bit odd.

Also the carriages were made up of ten pieces of wood (Hocker) Oak actually. So keeping the wood natural the ten pieces that I tried to replicate should be visible a bit after sanding and building them up.

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi Michael

Just catching up on your build the Wasa, your details are very nice and good and there so many little details that you have added to your ship, she is one of a kind and a joy to watch you build her into such a fine ship,                                      ENJOY,

Regards   Lawrence

Lawrence,

Thanks for your encouraging remarks, I'm learning as I move along. Having fun with the cannon carriages. I'll post an update when I completely finish the first one. One which has already been modified several times just to get it just right. From that one, I can mirror the other thirteen, and really move forward.

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi Mates,

Been still busy with the weather deck carriages, and of course there are issues (aren't there always)?

My intensions are to also attempt to include the metal framings. Time consuming but a pleasant diversion from previous labors. This first carriage is still the prototype, so nothing is firmed up. Oh, I will use the Brass Black before installing the metal bits.

Corel, again, or is it me? [Here is the issue issue] have not allowed for a wider weather deck waste, so the carriages that I build are, when fitted towards the stern, too big. As you can see they overlap the gratings.

I tried to replicate them with the overhang lip that Landström has in his book. These long curved half-circle lips are also framed in the Vasa museum carriage reconstructions (though not for the weather deck) there is a pronounced overhang beyond the cap end of the gun.

So, I have downsized a second carriage, this may be a solution, or I may use smaller cannons and build four appropriately sized carriages. I do note that the 1/10th weather deck carriages do not have long overhangs, Hmmmmm.??

Still a work in progress, but thought that I would share Thanks so much for your visits, they are always so appreciated.

Regards,

Michael

post-735-0-58069200-1395274177_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-08599000-1395274184_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-52320400-1395274190_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-55937300-1395274202_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-83550400-1395274210_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-10790100-1395274217_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-96926600-1395274223_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-86055400-1395274230_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-65757700-1395274237_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-13168900-1395274243_thumb.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Sorry Michael but will be a problem when you add the wheels? Will it be an addition of 3-4 mm in height? Maybe to diminish the height of the carriage and to make the gouge carrying the cannon more deeper could be helpful.

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)

Hi Michael

Your prototype looks fantastic.The amount of space you have is ridiculously tight,especially when you take into account how much the gun has to travel back to allow reloading.Good luck but I am confident you will find a solution.I feel that the shorter cannon may be the way forward.

Kind Regards

Nigel