36 Foot Admirals Barge by Blue Ensign – FINISHED - Vanguard Models – 1:64 scale

Love it, love it, love it.  You've excelled yourself on the period feel once again, well worth the effort!

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Thank you, James, those figures you directed me to turned out better than I had feared.👍

@ Chris, good luck with that, what you can’t see are the other models resident in my office – Norske Love, a French Seventy-four, and a Flower Class Corvette.

Apart from the Shower room and Kitchen virtually all rooms have their ship model(s). I do have an understanding wife but she draws the line at the bedroom, but I got away with a couple of ship paintings. 🤞

@ shipman – he is but a lowly Rear Admiral of the least senior squadron (Blue) and besides he ain’t going anywhere.😉

@ Jason – Thank you Jason – it looks fine providing a macro lens is not allowed anywhere near it.🙄

B.E

Just amazing work at 1:64.  Well done B.E.   I'm looking forward to see what's next.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 1 month later...

a beautiful and fantastic work

I have seen these Vanguard models and they are really nice

Do you think they would be good for a beginner to start in it?

I would appreciate an opinion on this

Greetings

Gus

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Current build log:

San Francisco Cross Section

19 minutes ago, Gus Martinez said:

a beautiful and fantastic work

I have seen these Vanguard models and they are really nice

Do you think they would be good for a beginner to start in it?

I would appreciate an opinion on this

They aren’t insurmountable, but see we do class them as this on the website. It depends on your experience in and out of modelling. 

C4E50583-8543-48EC-AC14-D73CBFC054D5.jpeg

Thank you for your kind words Gus,

These boats are quite tricky to assemble, and I agree with Vanguards rating of ‘experienced’.

I don’t think the 36’ barge is currently on sale, but the 32’ version is.

The boats are quite delicate, at least until they are planked.  ‘Soft’ hands and a gentle approach is needed to avoid breakages in areas like the stem and stern during the fairing and planking process.

These small boats aren’t the best candidates for a start in ship modelling, but all you have to lose apart from your temper is the cost of the kit. The danger is that frustration and failure may put you off the hobby for life.

Something like the Vanguard Fishing boat range, The Fifie perhaps, is an excellent choice for someone new to ship modelling, with a high chance of a good result and a desire for more.

I wish you well in whatever you decide.

Regards,

B.E.

21 hours ago, James H said:

They aren’t insurmountable, but see we do class them as this on the website. It depends on your experience in and out of modelling. 

thank you for your reply @James H

Greetings

Gus

Current build log:

19 hours ago, Blue Ensign said:

Thank you for your kind words Gus,

These boats are quite tricky to assemble, and I agree with Vanguards rating of ‘experienced’.

I don’t think the 36’ barge is currently on sale, but the 32’ version is.

The boats are quite delicate, at least until they are planked.  ‘Soft’ hands and a gentle approach is needed to avoid breakages in areas like the stem and stern during the fairing and planking process.

These small boats aren’t the best candidates for a start in ship modelling, but all you have to lose apart from your temper is the cost of the kit. The danger is that frustration and failure may put you off the hobby for life.

Something like the Vanguard Fishing boat range, The Fifie perhaps, is an excellent choice for someone new to ship modelling, with a high chance of a good result and a desire for more.

I wish you well in whatever you decide.

Regards,

B.E.

Hi, thank you for your reply

you mean this one?

https://vanguardmodels.co.uk/product/clinker-hull-boats-full-kit/

because of the shipping cost, I think it is better to bring me two of them, this one and one like the one you have built to have it, and I would do it when the time comes, these small boats are very nice and I did not think it was complicated to assemble as you describe, we will try little by little, then....

Greetings

Gus

Current build log:

ok, @James H and @Blue Ensign 

you mean one of these two, is that right?

https://vanguardmodels.co.uk/product/fifie-lady-eleanor/

https://vanguardmodels.co.uk/product/zulu-lady-isabella/

in that case I will have to choose "Lady Eleanor", Zulu is out of stock. I'm going to check the shipping costs and taxes (IVA) to Spain to be able to do the maths and not spend too much, but they are beautiful.

Greetings

Gus

Current build log:

@James H and @Blue Ensign

Thank you both very much, if I have to choose one for my personal taste, I prefer Zulu.

I have to find out how much it will cost me to import it to Spain from the UK and do the maths, but I think it will be possible this month or next to buy one of them, to make in the future, for the moment I will continue with the one I am building (San Francisco section of Artsania Latina) to learn and this will be the next on the list, I have the Providence Kit but I have seen some threads that say that the materials are very bad and it is very hard to make it, so I was looking for a Vanguard kit that I would like to continue, and this will be the Zulu.

Thanks for your advice, it has been very helpful, very kind. 

I hope I am not wrong in my decision

Greetings

Gus

Current build log: