Cutter Cheerful 1806 by Freebird - Syren Ship Model Company - 1/48

Hey All! This will mark the beginning of my Cheerful build. Actually, I started it on 3/1. Anyway, being my Syren Medway Longboat is just about finished, I thought I’d get a jump on my next build while there’s still some winter. This will be my second and more complex build. Medway, my first build, has taught me a lot and developed some skills. It was a delightful build that came out pretty good. Yes, there are mistakes, but that’s how we learn. After building the Syren Medway, I’m absolutely sold on the kits/parts and push for more scratch building that Chuck provides. Coming from an aerospace background, Chuck’s designs are very well researched, his kit designs are very well thought out and implemented. Plus his methodology is focused and easy to follow. An added bonus is all of the great and incredible build logs!

So I’m really late to this party, but that’s ok as I only found out about MSW 2 years ago after retiring. Some of my goals for building this neat little vessel is to add more skills to my toolbox, learn more about planking, scratch building more of the details. Oh yeah, I’m also milling all of my planking from AYC and boxwood where appropriate. All wood was bought from Modeler’s Sawmill - very good service! The build will probably be stretched out because as warm weather arrives I spend most of my time outdoors. Thanks for stopping by and we’ll see you on deck!

Here’s a few pictures of where I’m at. We all love to get the keel built and bulkheads installed to see the basic shape of what we’re going to create, and I’m no exception. So she’s framed up and ready for fairing. I’ve also started to mill some of the planks. I’m starting with billets, then to blanks and to strips. I also like to skip around and take small bites so things don’t become too repetitive.

Best Regards …. Rick

751A6EDC-DFFE-47BF-9928-40C3B4709706.jpeg

F0FAB5EE-AE46-4995-ACC6-A96BE626D5C5.jpeg

962E5493-65D2-45AD-BDDF-A388E82D7BFF.jpeg

Thanks to All for stopping by and all of the likes. I haven’t done any work to the hull, I’ve been busily (not happily) ripping the wood into useable planks.  I’ve been using the Micro Mart table saw. I’ve had it for several years and used it for different cuts, but never for ripping planks, it’s been a challenge for sure. I think it’s time to invest in a Byrnes table saw. I have his thickness sander and it’s been a Godsend as I’ve been using it to bring the planks to size. Biggest issue with the saw is the blade wandering making the plank thick/thin at points during the cut, that’s with a .03 kerf slitting blade. When it works it great, it makes really nice cuts, but when it doesn’t, well you can guess the results. 

Best Regards …. Rick

Glad to see you’re off and running. I’ll enjoy watching another Cheerful come to life. It’s such a great build. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Been busy the past few days milling wood. Per Chuck’s list, I now have 200+ strips of AYC. I definitely need a Byrnes table saw, as the Micro-Mart can’t cut a straight line, I tried a lot of techniques recommended on MSW with mediocre results. Thank goodness for the Byrnes thickness sander. Now I know why strip wood is so expensive. 😏

4F2E83BE-0654-43C0-93B0-BFAEB8C13124.jpeg

67F11E11-5A5C-49E3-B208-EFB362652F06.jpeg

Dont forget to sort any hull or deck planking by color first so you dont end up having a zebra striped hull.

Keep any grainy or dark colored strips for areas that will be painted or not seen.

The thickness sander is great and makes a huge difference.  As Chuck notes, wood sorting is a pain but well worth the effort in the end.  

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Thanks for the sorting ideas. When I get to the planking I’ll sort the wood. I’m planning on doing the deck in Holly, I have a hunk to cut up. I bought this display rack a few years ago from a place that went out of business. Makes a great storage rack, wood is sorted by size for convenience. 

Best Regards …. Rick

7DB8A04E-D687-4733-B584-61AAF5D74A4F.jpeg

E0774B7B-3ABA-4E46-B324-C9944DD32C23.jpeg

I'll pull up a chair and follow along too, Rick. The Cheerful is a gorgeous model that I have always admired and I'm sure I will learn a lot watching you build her. Good luck!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Guys, thank you for the positive comments! I’ve been playing around with the carriages, cleaning up the char and such, I’m not ready to start fairing the hull yet, really need to wrap my head around it first. To clean the trucks, I took a piece of wood and made a taper on it so the trucks could be secured and then cleaned quickly and easily. The axles were chucked and easily rounded off. 

Best Regards …. Rick

EF494497-D7DE-4E5A-A409-6307FFD783FC.jpeg

35A95FD7-25D9-447E-866B-679B70B26D8B.jpeg

E855431F-D5F7-4D44-AC28-72B6DF8F54F1.jpeg

4EC0CCF1-E8C5-4FDD-80C9-C3909A4D8114.jpeg

A14D3332-C2FA-44DE-B560-505E948BF55B.jpeg

3CD6B9C8-F48B-47A5-AA6C-B6F08030EC30.jpeg

Edited by Freebird

You're very smart to keep your pieces so well organized.  It looks like you're off to an excellent start on your cannon parts.  In my opinion, workflow is the key to getting them all done with consistent results.

Current Build:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48 (Group Project)

Completed Builds:

Virginia 1819 Artesania Latina - 1:41 

Thanks Matt! These storage containers were on sale at my local Hobby Lobby for a buck! I bought the only 2 that were left. What’s really nice about them is that the dividers are molded in so they can’t move around. 

Agree, flow makes the job easier, and I’m glad there are only 12 guns!

Best Regards …. Rick

Edited by Freebird

Work continues on the carriages. This time I made a quick jig to drill the holes in the sides. I made a copy of the side and glued it to some scrap wood. I then glued some wood to the top and rear of jig. The wood was deep enough to load 2 parts in the jig. I also used a #76 bit as a guide to align the parts in the jig. Simple finger pressure keeps the parts secure in the jig, that is until you puncture a finger with the drill bit. In a few minutes I had all of the carriage sides drilled. 

Best Regards …. Rick

6C3F7D45-DD5D-4664-AFB4-BC2608F50997.jpeg

89A85393-76D7-480C-9B88-275C553D9F5C.jpeg

87CF69EE-712D-4113-A6AA-3CC969BFDC73.jpeg

3E880F43-12A7-4FF7-84CC-B29035C4A240.jpeg

5A80FA9F-4077-4572-AB8E-A5807BADBF92.jpeg

9F11E581-0939-4A94-9E0C-5B467FD1C7CF.jpeg

19 hours ago, ERS Rich said:

Good stuff

ERS Rich - Thank you!

Guys - Thank for all the”Likes”!

Now I need an opinion, I made my first quoin handle, does it look too big and how does the shape look? I’ll countersink the hole slightly so it seats better. All comments welcome!

Best Regards …. Rick

D1CBDC5B-7937-4C29-8516-39C805915C60.jpeg

35F001DB-50FE-4570-82C6-1B991BF865D8.jpeg

9AC5DC8C-A53C-4203-B11C-090EE53727DB.jpeg

Edited by Freebird

Gregory - no worries about too small, I took it out of the quoin and must have had too much pressure on the tweezers, the handle went flying never to be seen again. 

Here’s my first carronade. You don’t realize how many parts are in these until you build one. 

Best Regards …. Rick

62907DE5-BC99-4E0B-A4BB-2704027953DF.jpeg

EA913F2D-2A9D-41F0-A450-9FA0A24674BD.jpeg

Your pictures of the quoin were not there when I posted, thus the joke..🙂

Edited by Gregory

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

4 hours ago, Freebird said:

Now I need an opinion,

Buy them from Crafty Sailor, the 6mm size if I recall, maybe 8mm. They make nickels scaled wooden ones, unlike most of the commercial crap.  Yours are a bit fat, sorry you asked. 😊

Now you can start making eyelets and ring bolts. My last Winchelsea post was my effort to explain one way how if you’re interested. 

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

Thanks everyone for the likes, much appreciated!

Glenn, thank you for the input. Making the pins is challenging for sure, but very rewarding. I’ve been following your fantastic Winnie build and have seen your process for making eyelets and ring bolts. Will experiment this weekend. Thanks!

Best Regards …. Rick

Ok, I’ve built the gun carriages and decided that it can’t be put off any longer. Tonight I’m going to start fairing the hull. Quick question first: is it best to start amidship and work towards the stem or the stern? I can see that it wouldn’t take much to really mess up the shape of the bulkheads. Thoughts?

Best Regards …. Rick

Edited by Freebird

I’ve done some fairing on the port side and here’s the first test with a batten, and here’s what I see. The bow filler needs a lot more sanding to get the batten into to rabbet. It looks like the aft end of the port filler needs to have material removed. The one that concerns me the most, is bulkhead B. There’s a gap at that bulkhead. Did I take too much off, or do the bulkheads on either side need be sanded some more? Need input! Thanks!

Best Regards …. Rick

B3FFD565-8847-4F4E-9DDC-5BF1439D895C.jpeg

AEA6DF0C-D6E6-4D05-88EA-3EFF17056E2E.jpeg

2B52376F-44E7-431C-9362-7B8C85162B11.jpeg

Edited by Freebird

7 hours ago, Freebird said:

amidship and work towards the stem and stern?

Front to back with multiple passes and use of the prescribed battens is my approach. 

Sometimes, even often shims are a better fix than more sanding, the battens don’t lie. Keep in mind the bow is the first three to four bulkheads, do them as a unit. Your bulkhead B problem could be created two bulkheads away. Fair slowly, be one with the wood. It will show you the way. 

Ok, that last sentence lost the plot 🤣🤣

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

2 hours ago, Freebird said:

Did I take too much off, or do the bulkheads on either side need be sanded some more?

I like to be of help, Glenn, but fairing the bulkheads or frames one of the ship modeling tasks that I am the most uncertain about. I've done the same thing in same areas that you are showing in your photos. I find the forward 3 or so bulkheads to be the most difficult to get right even when I'm checking often with a batten. I seem to always end up with a gap as well and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I'll be interested to see how you proceed. Good luck!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Hi Rick, in the first photo where you are using the t-pin, the batten seems to cut straight across the space between the bow filler and bulkhead M. Maybe you can try putting some bend in the end of the batten so that it will enter the rabbet at the stem at a better angle. Then see how it sits moving aft. Looking good!

Regards……..Paul 

Completed Builds   Glad Tidings Model Shipways. -   Nordland Boat. Billings Boats . -  HM Cutter Cheerful-1806  Syren Model Ship Company. 

On 3/18/2023 at 11:15 PM, glbarlow said:

Sometimes, even often shims are a better fix than more sanding, the battens don’t lie. Keep in mind the bow is the first three to four bulkheads, do them as a unit. Your bulkhead B problem could be created two bulkheads away. Fair slowly, be one with the wood. It will show you the way.

Glenn, thank you for the Zen! I added a shim to bulkhead “L” as there was a flat spot. Good call!

On 3/19/2023 at 12:55 AM, BobG said:

I've done the same thing in same areas that you are showing in your photos. I find the forward 3 or so bulkheads to be the most difficult to get right even when I'm checking often with a batten. I seem to always end up with a gap as well and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Bob, being this is my first effort at this type of hull I have a lot of angst. More sanding at the bow was needed (which I knew), more light sanding was needed along the entire hull was needed and that went a long way.

The batten flow looks good but not perfect. Any suggestions!

Best Regards …. Rick

4AB82EE4-5175-4C29-A2A5-1D03D11C771E.jpeg

1D5F6B1F-0692-4B7E-9248-00010481E47A.jpeg

47E86CB9-C8E4-4F2A-A6C2-031DCF4EDAB6.jpeg

84275925-AFFF-4932-974B-B303D04334DF.jpeg

C116E037-DA90-41F9-93F6-4451D5E0247D.jpeg

9C1B3CCB-E8E7-4BD8-A1DE-F9681936D71C.jpeg

2B379623-3640-4028-BE2A-44319F84FB4E.jpeg

278CD801-A2C5-419D-992D-273F2A9FF8B9.jpeg

Edited by Freebird