F4-D Phantom - Dumas - FINISHED - 1/25 Scale

I just finished a "stick and tissue" model of an F4-D Phantom jet in Vietnam camouflage. The kit is made by Dumas Products. They make a nice range of boat kits, rubber-powered aircraft kits, and also a couple of static scale aircraft kits like this one. The kit comes with a nice selection of light-weight balsa, vacuum-formed accessories, and four colors of tissue for covering. Since it will never fly I decided to cover it instead with iron-on Oracote, and since Oracote shrinks very tight I replaced all the stringers with much heavier balsa. Here's the frame before covering:

IMG_7502.thumb.JPG.a12ddf3f69b25d1f8ff79b25b11c9217.JPG

I air brushed the model with Vallejo acrylics, and used Silly putty to mask the camouflage. There are LOTS of YouTube videos that recommend Silly Putty, but I had a lot of trouble with it. Remember when you were a kid and used Silly Putty to lift images out of comic books? Well if you leave it on acrylic paint overnight it lifts some paint and leaves a darker streak. I had to repaint most of my camo. If you remove it immediately it works OK. Here's the paint job in progress:

IMG_7545.thumb.JPG.024ef7d568e3cdc1766421d93933c4c2.JPG

The model is 1/25 scale and 28 inches long, basically "drive-by scale." It looks pretty good if you drive by slowly.

F4-Dfront.thumb.jpg.5030b7a39e408e5470d8475ec24df0f6.jpgF4-Dleft.thumb.jpg.67637b22e7a7eeee7e1b412f93a917ca.jpgF4-Dtop.thumb.jpg.67f75d2903ff823c1230b02d0740f4a1.jpgF4-Dbottom.thumb.jpg.9773d44519d23806636eaf9f0d9fdbaa.jpg

Nicely done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Nice, VERY Nice..... Difficult plane to build in Balsa & Tissue.....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Thanks everyone. I built my first model airplane with my Dad when I was 8 so I've made a lot of them. I made a couple of model ships in my teens, but no more until I retired. The ships are usually a lot more challenging but it's all fun.

3 hours ago, rvchima said:

The site asked for tags so I put some in.

Check this pinned topic for a reminder.

But don't fret -- I don't keep a record of past violations! 😉

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix