Portable drills

Go to solution Solved by ah100m,

Hi Barbara!  When you say "portable drill", are you referring to something like a pin vise, that you would manually use with small micro bits of 0.05"/1.3mm? Or are you looking for a power tool drill, still using micro bits?  I recently purchased a Proxxon TBM115 bench drill press, and I am loving it.

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                     Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways                   Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Santa Maria Caravelle 1:48 - Ships of Pavel Nikitin

MicroMark or another similar precision tool company may have what you are looking for.   Maybe a Harbor Freight close to where you live?

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                     Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways                   Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Santa Maria Caravelle 1:48 - Ships of Pavel Nikitin

I think you can replace the collet on a dremel with a chuck that will hold smaller bits.   

Completed Build:   HMS Beagle - Occre

Current Build:         Frigate Diana - Occre  https://modelshipworld.com/topic/33530-frigate-diana-by-rossr-occre-185/

On the Shelf:           Santisima Trinidad Cross Section - Occre, NRG Half Hull, the US Brig Syren - Model Shipways and USF Essex - Model Shipways.

1 hour ago, RossR said:

I think you can replace the collet on a dremel with a chuck that will hold smaller bits.   

I have one of these - very useful for a quick change and no need to change the collet. It's permanently fitted unless a bigger shaft collet is needed.

The only thing I would add is that if you have a Dremel then buy the Dremel accessory, not one that is compatible. 

More money, but I found the compatible one I bought had a slightly different thread and would have re-threaded the Dremel if I had forced it on.

On the other hand, a compatible flexible shaft fitted perfect 😵

Bob

Current build Cutty Sark, Mini Mamoli

Finished  King of the Mississippi                     

No trees were harmed by this message, but an awful lot of electrons were put out.

3 hours ago, RossR said:

Dremel units can change from collet to chuck within the same brand. Others are not compatible with Dremel.

I have done so. Very convenient. 

Save your money with buying a Dremel, see it as a good investment. 
My corded and rechargeable has lasted for years.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

I don’t know what Dremel currently offers but the classic “Dremel Tool” turns too fast to be a good drilling tool.   If Dremel offers a variable speed tool that maintains torque through its RPM range that would be something to consider.  I believe that MicroMark offers a true hand held miniature drill.

Roger.

Edited by Roger Pellett

I have one of the Arrowmax mini electric drills and stand and find it to be very useful

https://am-smart.com/en-au/collections/hot

-‐-‐--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Build Hayling Hoy 1760 - First POF scratch build

Completed HMB Endeavour's Longboat by Artesania Latina

Completed HM Armed Cutter Alert by Vanguard Models

Completed 18ft cutter and 34ft launch by Vanguard Models

Completed Pen Duick by Artesania Latina

Roger hit on an important point. High speed is not always a good thing. High torque is - it is torque that forces the bit through the material being drilled. Most motors controlled by a simple variable duty cycle speed control loose torque as they slow down. I have an ancient (1970s) Dremel and the ancient Dremel variable duty cycle speed control, and at low speeds the drill binds and stops cutting in brass.

Many motor tools run at tens of thousands of RPM. This produces heat in the motor and in the drill bit. Heat is not good for the bit, and it will burn wood. The optimum speed for drilling softer metals like brass and aluminum is much slower.

Look for a drill that has high torque at lower speeds (1000-5000 RPM).

Dremel offered a range of collets for its Mototools and I expect they still do. I have a collection of collets, some from Dremel and some from "Who knows where." As said, though, the Dremel tools are much too fast for my taste. I use them these days almost exclusively for grinding and brushing and the like, but not for drilling small holes. 

• Solution

I bought this one from Amazon.  Takes small bits, can dial down the RPM's to quite slow and has adequate torque for wood, plastic, brass and white metal.  The only drawback is it is not cordless. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075SZZN4J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have a small WeCheer model 242.   Made in Taiwan and if I remember right, I bought on Amazon.   Dremel collets fit nicely and it has multispeeds which I usually only ending using the slowest two speeds.  THe other advantage to me is that it's small (5" long) and light weight.   It is cord powered.  These also seem to show up at many beauty supply sources.  There's two kinds, one with a 90 degree collet and the other with the "straight out" collet  at the end.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

HTB1kCnuX.vrK1RjSszfq6xJNVXa2.jpg.1d593f293f94662cf131df6c8ef383af.jpg

I'm using $50 handpiece.

- Strong 90 drill station with pedal

- Strong 102L handpiece : Replaceable drill chuck - 2.35mm, 3.00mm, 3.15mm

image1699078904.png.1a86b6c12030a11e6a8db6e4ed387bc7.png

This is my favorite PCB drill bit. The price is $1~1.50 per 10 pcs.

Size varies from 0.10mm to 3.15mm by 0.05mm. I bought all the variations. :) 

I have two of them and they work very well drilling into wood or thin brass and copper for model ship building. If I need to drill something that requires a lot of torque, I use my Foredom with a number H30 Handpiece with a chuck or the H44 Handpiece with a collet.  I find the Dremel Stylo to work very well for very small drill bits.