F-14D Super Tomcat by CDW - AMK - 1:48 Scale

33 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

What an  excellent idea,  so I guess  you  slide  the  tub assembly  in from  rear of the  assembly?

Wish more  kits  would  adapt  this  idea.

OC.

Yes, the cockpit and wheel well slide in from the back.

The are quite a few modern kits that are using slide mold technology already, though this is the first aircraft kit I've built where the entire forward fuselage is molded that way. On other kits, including this one, it's often found used in the ordnance pieces. In armor kits, the gun barrels. Flyhawk 1:700 ship models use slide molds as well.

6 minutes ago, CDW said:

Yes, the cockpit and wheel well slide in from the back.

The are quite a few modern kits that are using slide mold technology already, though this is the first aircraft kit I've built where the entire forward fuselage is molded that way. On other kits, including this one, it's often found used in the ordnance pieces. In armor kits, the gun barrels. Flyhawk 1:700 ship models use slide molds as well.

Ah  yes  of course  aka  Flyhawks  hulls   (I should  have remembered that)

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

33 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

Ah  yes  of course  aka  Flyhawks  hulls   (I should  have remembered that)

OC.

Your earlier question/comment made me realize I had not yet done a test-fit of the cockpit inside the forward fuselage.

Here are a few photos of a dry-fit test. 

I'm still debating whether to finish this kit as a bomber or equipped as in an air-to-air role....hmmmmm...decisions, decisions. 

DSCN4038.JPG

DSCN4039.JPG

DSCN4040.JPG

That  looks  so nice  -  what a  nice  tidy  fit  mate.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I'm leaning toward finishing her as a VF-2 Bounty Hunter OIF, 2003. All these photos are from that squadron.

This gives me the option of incorporating micro-size magnets to my ordnance, that way I could swap it out to any configuration I choose. If I find out I have the wrong combination, no big deal, just swap it out using magnetic action. 

VF-2-Bounty-Hunters-005.jpg

VF-2-Bounty-Hunters-034.jpg

VF-2-Bounty-Hunters-035.jpg

VF-2-Bounty-Hunters-036.jpg

VF-2-Bounty-Hunters-038 - GBU-16 LGB.jpg

VF-2-Bounty-Hunters-039 - AIM9 Sidewinder.jpg

VF-2-Bounty-Hunters-042.jpg

Great progress with the big cat, Craig. The engineering of the AMK jet kits is fantastic and the fit of their MIG-31 kit was perfect, even on the most complicated parts, like the intakes. The only issue, I had with the kit, were the bang seats, which were horribly out of scale. I hope this is not the case with yours.

The pic shows the kit seat on the right, to the left is a seat from a Brassin refined SU-27 kit and in the middle is the seat with pilot, I used, I guess it was made by Aerobonus.

IMG_7108.JPG.63ef788488196d6ee6d8fad487438d22.JPG

Cheers Rob

Current builds:   "Big Tank" Crocker OHV motorcycle by DocRob - Model Factory Hiro - 1/9 
                             McLaren Mp4/6 - Ayrton Senna - Fujimi - 1/20 - paused
                             Duchess of Kingston - paused 

Finished builds: F4U-1A Corsair - Tamiya 1/32

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard
                             Caudron C.561 French Racing Plane 1/48
                             Nachtigall on Speed Arado 234 B-2N by DocRob - 1/32 - Fly

Renault RE20 Turbo - Tamiya - 1/12
                             P-38J Wicked Woman - Tamiya - 1/48
                             AEG G.IV Creature of the Night - WNW - 1/32

16 minutes ago, DocRob said:

Great progress with the big cat, Craig. The engineering of the AMK jet kits is fantastic and the fit of their MIG-31 kit was perfect, even on the most complicated parts, like the intakes. The only issue, I had with the kit, were the bang seats, which were horribly out of scale. I hope this is not the case with yours.

The pic shows the kit seat on the right, to the left is a seat from a Brassin refined SU-27 kit and in the middle is the seat with pilot, I used, I guess it was made by Aerobonus.

IMG_7108.JPG.63ef788488196d6ee6d8fad487438d22.JPG

Cheers Rob

That's quite a dramatic difference between the three.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, CDW said:

I'm leaning toward finishing her as a VF-2 Bounty Hunter OIF, 2003.

Cool! You gonna put her USS Langley stripes on her? (VF-2 was the first squadron to fly off a carrier, hence the first assigned to the Langley, carrying the stripes was definitely a point of pride)

Edited by Egilman

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

This old WSO hopes you do this great bird in an air to air configuration. I moved a lot of mud, dropping assorted weapons, but my heart is always in air to air. flights.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Canute said:

This old WSO hopes you do this great bird in an air to air configuration. I moved a lot of mud, dropping assorted weapons, but my heart is always in air to air. flights.

The way I'm thinking about doing the ordnance, I'll be able to switch out to whatever loadout I want. My plan is to use some micro size magnets to hold the ordnance in place on each pylon/station.

I learned this technique watching a modeler who builds on commission. He uses this to mount all the weapons and other fragile pieces because they tend to get broken off in shipping. Everything he builds has to eventually be boxed up and shipped out.

(158) Primedmodelworks - YouTube

Edited by CDW

I've got too many irons in the fire. Very little time has been available for the tom kitty but the cockpit is nearing a finish with some minor details, a little detail painting, and a dull coat to finish it up.

Somehow I managed once again to see a small part go flying off into the netherworld, never to be found again (yet). This time it was a shoulder harness strap. Hence, the rear seat has no shoulder harness straps attached yet. I will not attach the gun site glass pieces until the very end before the canopy goes on. These are all box stock parts from the kit, no aftermarket used at all.

DSCN4041.JPG

DSCN4042.JPG

DSCN4043.JPG

DSCN4044.JPG

That is looking so nice  mate.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

The multi-function display screens really bring out the high level of detail in this beauty. And it's all stock. Wow.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

• 2 weeks later...