"Big Tank" Crocker OHV motorcycle by DocRob - Model Factory Hiro - 1/9

The Crocker starts to look like a bike now, with the rear fender attached. Primarily, I gave the fenders clear coat a polish with Tamiya´s polishing compounds. A bit of dust and fingerprints remain visible for the moment, as these are work in progress pics. To align all the struts, a positioning peg and a screw for mounting the rear fender was a bit fiddly, but in the end, it worked out. I added the rivets and taillight and started with the wheel hubs. Spoking is next :icon_eek:

P1011562.thumb.JPG.bc97b5c46c2e427eddf40a976379e488.JPG

P1011567.thumb.JPG.60449433b196a8e3344d90e66cbce086.JPG

Cheers Rob

Current builds:   "Big Tank" Crocker OHV motorcycle by DocRob - Model Factory Hiro - 1/9 
                             McLaren Mp4/6 - Ayrton Senna - Fujimi - 1/20 - paused
                             Duchess of Kingston - paused 

Finished builds: F4U-1A Corsair - Tamiya 1/32

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard
                             Caudron C.561 French Racing Plane 1/48
                             Nachtigall on Speed Arado 234 B-2N by DocRob - 1/32 - Fly

Renault RE20 Turbo - Tamiya - 1/12
                             P-38J Wicked Woman - Tamiya - 1/48
                             AEG G.IV Creature of the Night - WNW - 1/32

On to the wheels, which proved easier to build than thought, luckily. It took two days to assemble them, but the second went together much faster, which keeps me hopeful for the five wire wheels of my recently purchased Ferrari kit.

Some words of advice, if you plan to build a MHF motorcycle:
- Check the rims and the building jig for perfect flatness. In my case, all were warped a bit, due to sanding and polishing the wheels.
- Drill the holes for the spokes angled, as shown in the manual and indicated through the cast or you will have difficulties to thread in the spoke nipples. 
- Don´t use your best nippers for the spokes. The material is VERY hard and left dents even in my hardened tools.

First spokes, aligned to the vent hole, one from under and one from above. All spokes need to be bent further and cut short on the bent side.

P1011568.thumb.JPG.a612ed09eed30ae4b9a03bc4759a0eea.JPG

P1011569.thumb.JPG.0940346b8eebdd401a64175346cfc220.JPG

First quarter of spokes is mounted per manual, then the spoke nipples were added from the outside and secured with CA

P1011570.thumb.JPG.cdb0094b47abc5635055f919c4fada96.JPG

One side finished, I then cut the protruding spoke ends, flipped the part in the jig and on with the second half. MFH chose to print their manual slightly larger than the real thing, unfortunately.

P1011571.thumb.JPG.52b52b2004bfb3cd28d811859322ef83.JPG

One wheel ready, except for shortening the protruding ends. You can see, how the nipples fit into the rim´s holes.

P1011572.thumb.JPG.4bbb9283c4ae44b78150f000841fbf13.JPG

The front wheel is done:

P1011574.thumb.JPG.9dbcf4005c4988dd44c29094d5939962.JPG

And the rear wheel followed "short" after :D, really not too hard to do, but you should work with concentration to prevent from mistakes:

P1011575.thumb.JPG.6efdf015a72c06e52624f392f03430fb.JPG

Cheers Rob

Current builds:   "Big Tank" Crocker OHV motorcycle by DocRob - Model Factory Hiro - 1/9 

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

Today, I assembled more than half of the chain. Again the design by MFH helps a lot, but the work is eye straining and tedious. The last links felt more difficult, a clear sign of fatigue.

Thirty chain white metal chain axles, connected by a cast sprue will be set into a pre drilled jig. Then you add the intersecting PE links, which are luckily only adhesive fixed to the foil and dosen´t need to be cut from the PE fret. When one side is finished, the heads of the bolts are pressed flat with a pair of pliers.

P1011576.thumb.JPG.a8596613029464f9322e3d00b6884304.JPG

One side done:

P1011577.thumb.JPG.ed4756d4e1eae0a47eac20f9a707a596.JPG

The chain will be flipped over in the jig and the second side gets mounted like the first. Here are both sides done.

P1011578.thumb.JPG.b646fa181fcbdc79229e9e25ca8cee96.JPG

Then you cut the white metal sprue away with a sharp nipper and you have 30links made. The last pic shows two sets of 30 joined together in the jig.

P1011582.thumb.JPG.d2c12e5508c447edcdc406516f5c9f54.JPG

Cheers Rob

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

I finished the chain, which almost finished me beforehand :censored:. It was a challenge and test of patience and I would wish a resin chain for future MFH bike kits.
Building the four strings of chain into the jig proved to be not a big problem, but connecting these strings proved very difficult. In the process of trying, I broke the chain on another place, true nightmare, because it was already flat bolted by that time. After a lot of trying and careful sanding, I glued the link together with CA. After that, I somehow assembled the full length of the chain miraculously, I didn´t had it in me to join the chain without a jig and glued it to the sprocket, as it´s not supposed to turn in any case. The good news, the chain link count in the manual is exactly correct, a thing rarely seen with tank tracks in kits.
The side of the fenders look terribly on the pics, but that must be the lighting.

P1011583.thumb.JPG.3c3158e870dfc53296ea898b0b29b534.JPG

P1011586.thumb.JPG.4aad87b54f9aa9982f26353a79dcf44d.JPG

Cheers Rob

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

17 hours ago, CDW said:

Your patience paid off! Looks great, Rob.

Thank you Craig, but this phase of the build was really nerve wrecking. When the chain breaks somewhere, there is no easy fix to that, as it´s already bolted. The chain itself is relatively fragile and I was overly lucky, when I had it mounted without further breakage.

Cheers Rob

Edited by DocRob

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

3 hours ago, DocRob said:

Thank you Craig, but this phase of the build was really nerve wrecking. When the chain breaks somewhere, there is no easy fix to that, as it´s already bolted. The chain itself is relatively fragile and I was overly lucky, when I had it mounted without further breakage.

Cheers Rob

I had a very similar experience with the chain for my 1:12 Honda RC166. In the end, I gave up on it. I would get almost finished, then a link or two or three would come loose, then it would go downhill from there. After several episodes like that, I chose not to die on that hill.

40 minutes ago, CDW said:

I had a very similar experience with the chain for my 1:12 Honda RC166. In the end, I gave up on it. I would get almost finished, then a link or two or three would come loose, then it would go downhill from there. After several episodes like that, I chose not to die on that hill.

That´s why I added the Falcon resin chain set to my RC166 kit, Craig. If I can avoid single link bike chains, I will do so.

Cheers Rob

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

The chain haunted me again, when I fitted the polished sprocket housing. This part connects three principal areas of the bike and only the slightest bending  or misalignment leads to not fitting exactly, where it belongs. To correct this, I pried the chain loose from the sprocket and cut away some more links to enhance the wiggle room for the cover and glued it in place finally, hiding the missing chain links.

Next were the exhausts parts, which were also polished before. For this, I used the green side of a sponge first, followed by very fine steel wool and finally a cotton rotating tool on my Proxxon with Autosol polishing paste. The fitting was very good and a relief after the chain.

Finally, I added some more wires leading from the chain guard to the fuel tank, the braking wire with it´s delicate to install return spring and last, the starter with it´s real rubber pads.

P1011587.thumb.JPG.6055a6477c6384b73f31c93fe9a358a0.JPG

Here is another shot, with the fuel tank loosely added:

P1011588.thumb.JPG.51d6f6676ab31d48a1576f080ae54ae1.JPG 

Cheers Rob

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

Looks great, Rob. The tank and exhaust polished up beautifully. Sorry about the chain issue; white metal just doesn't seem to be the best choice. The stuff is notoriously brittle. Glad you've overcome that issue.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

6 hours ago, Canute said:

Looks great, Rob. The tank and exhaust polished up beautifully. Sorry about the chain issue; white metal just doesn't seem to be the best choice. The stuff is notoriously brittle. Glad you've overcome that issue

Thank you Ken, the white metal is absolutely not brittle. It´s soft and good to work with. The chain is a combination of white metal rods and PE chain links, which are "bolted" in a jig. The nature of the miniature size of the involved parts make it so fragile and you can only hope that nothing breaks after assembling. Luckily, there is a lug casted onto the rear wheel hub, hindering the wheel to spin. That could easily destroy the chain during handling.
I´m happy now this is behind me and the build continues to be what it should a fun experience.

Cheers Rob

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

I added more of the crockeristics, beginning with the stands. There is one for the rear end and a side stand, which are both movable. I will see, If the side stand will hold the bike, when ready, as it feels pretty heavy now. It is also becoming difficult to handle, with all those parts added.
For the stands, 1,4 diameter mm screws were used. I drilled 1,2 mm holes into the white metal and used a 1,5 mm drill bit to drill a cone into the opening. With a good fitting screw driver, it´s now possible to screw direct into the relatively soft metal.

The tank, with it´s various fittings was added. The fuel tank caps were made from chrome plated white metal, which didn´t look too good, having marks in the surface, so I polished them. The shifting lever got it´s counterpart below the tank connected with a shifting rod. The mid section with the instruments is only added loosely as a guide for now. Next is some plumbing, connecting all the fuel lines and other wiring, before I will turn to the front fork.

P1011591.thumb.JPG.39c7e9f073bccdc0ed5f5323771f6dae.JPG

P1011594.thumb.JPG.3c544b9fe531ddd7f8203703ee4fc3b7.JPG

P1011592.thumb.JPG.d6a311576b52b9b2fd874ab15908c30a.JPG

Cheers Rob

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

Some major steps got done, as I married the ready assembled fork with the rest of the bike. Alignment of the various parts connecting the fork struts was a bit fiddly, as you had to join a dozen tiny pegs into their holes, while adding CA glue all at the same time.
The electric wires for the horn and headlight should be wrapped around tiny bolts, which I couldn´t do. I drilled three millimeter holes into said bolts and glued the wires in, after threading them through. 
The headlight got polished, as is the reflector for a nice and bright appearance. 

P1011595.thumb.JPG.f727cca7ea69e6af748f4639b034cbd5.JPG

P1011597.thumb.JPG.f473f8fca0e16755ce65d0570f9059b7.JPG

P1011598.thumb.JPG.1e17a5b7d61b31fb82e012da7624ab09.JPG

P1011601.thumb.JPG.b6914357ca0a1b703b17ea9e0778d3a3.JPG

Cheers Rob

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

VERY stunning... , could you do a few shots against a bit lighter background so she stands out a bit more?

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

18 hours ago, CDW said:

A stunning bike

13 hours ago, Egilman said:

VERY stunning... , could you do a few shots against a bit lighter background so she stands out a bit more?

Thank you both, it is indeed a stunning bike. Me not being a great admirer of American two wheeled heavy metal, have to say, the Crocker is a pure beauty, something like the essence of American bike design of it´s time.

@Egilman, I will try to find my white background later or do some outdoor pics in later stages of the build. 

Cheers Rob

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

Despite some progress, today was kickback time. In the morning it dawned to me, that I haven´t seen the round clear acetate instrument glazings for a while and after a very long search it was confirmed, they were gone :censored:.
After that, I installed various bits and pieces around the handlebar. Among them the very prominent finely engraved and polished large head nut, which seems to pre-tension the fork suspension. When I wanted to glue it in place, I saw a tiny dot of CA, which was left by my fingerprint. Back to polishing, but guess what, the part flew away, never to be seen again :censored:. I heard it hit somewhere in my shelf and searched for more than two hours without finding it, browsing through all the tools and boxes there. I´m pretty frustrated now and will reach out to MFH, to ask for spares to purchase and drown my bad mood with some Manhattan´s :wine:

Anyhow, that´s how the Crocker looks now.

P1011607.thumb.JPG.5680821a5cb948d3e7dcbcfd0873b898.JPG

P1011608.thumb.JPG.c43041536eb72447d4e173475359dcdb.JPG

P1011610.thumb.JPG.3ba5c378201b248f932d795a85cdb23d.JPG

P1011611.thumb.JPG.bf87975e5fcbf111c4310425bc431f90.JPG

Cheers Rob

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard