1876 Parcel van by michael mott

OK, here is what has been occupying my muse recently. It is a parcel van that is for Gauge 3 (63mm or 2.5 inch between rails) I challenged myself to attempt to build it using the same processes as the original with obvious substitutions regarding some of the materials for ease of building in some areas and for economical reasons, using what I had on hand rather than purchasing more materials.

I did start building this model at the Gauge 1 scale (45mm or 1.75inch between rails) but changed after getting bogged down with wanting to make the undercarriage fully working including brakes.

IMG_4503x1024parcelvan.jpg.24b84d3b1f97d1e3458ac5004a534288.jpg

This is as far as the first model went, as many will already know I have no problem starting things over or changing up elements.

IMG_5076x1024parcelvan.jpg.7a4feeb2ca39f9a6956fcbeb4e449915.jpg

Next was to make the metal structural parts for the frame this meant making a bunch of scale 3 inch by 9 inch angle, I cut strips of .020" brass and folded them on the brake.

IMG_2181parcelvan.jpg.c7ac63f97b11517ad7cd271d7232edd4.jpg

IMG_2183parcelvan.jpg.68915a41c57460ee28411f48dae40f05.jpg

The angle needed more work to get it a bit more sharp in the corner.

to be continued.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

• The title was changed to 1876 Parcel van by michael mott

I'll follow, also, Michael. Operable brake gear? I love it. 😄

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Thank you all for your kindness and welcomes. Here are a few more pictures of the restart as Druxey so aptly called it.

After bending up the angles I then used a vice and a little work with a chunk of mild steel flat bar and suitable hammer to tighten up the corner. Next a set up on the mill to cut each leg of the Angle to the scale 3 inch x 9 inch accurately this was a slow process and a couple of hiccups before all the needed section was produced.

IMG_2360parcelvan.jpg.c80b7c4dd03bc2664dc950b3f116c519.jpg

The individual parts were marked out and cut to length with the inevitable mistakes because of the right and left handing of angles and holes. I now have a number of extra parts for some other purpose down the road so to speak. A few test samples were made of the riveting of corners a couple of which were very challenging but I wasn't giving up. ( More trinkets in the spares bin.) One of the reasons for some of the changes was my changing the layout of the frame as there is no extant drawing of this particular under-fame and during the late 1800's the Great Western Railway was undergoing all sorts of developments with the design of their rolling stock and Locomotives, as were all the other companies.

Once I was happy with my conjectural configuration based on the best practices and closest other frames of the same era I began riveting the frame together with 1/32 copper rivets.(very challenging indeed)

IMG_2404parcelvan.jpg.191d2ce4342cf024b638be3aa868d24a.jpg

IMG_2399parcelvan.jpg.07e82cf8c620f18e7f82bb7253f412e5.jpg

I ended up with all sorts of oddball configurations of vices clamps and bars in order to sequentially put it all together in all it took a few weeks and even then a couple of time I had to chisel off a connection because I had boxed myself in or the holes did not quite line up.

IMG_2410parcelvan.jpg.48bb4b0b0d0439f5b98de540dc6a1190.jpg

The sole bars were the last parts to add to complete the main structure and again I ended up taking a long time thinking about how to get these parts together. IMG_2390parcelvan.jpg.fbd23fc31375a99d2562fa8153293238.jpg

Another oddball combination of vices and clamps allowed me to get the job done.  (where are those nano robots when you need them?)

IMG_2434parcelvan.jpg.4469915b50213ec43bfbc1c5cf5dc267.jpg

we are getting there......

to be continued

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

I'll follow this one, I love a scratch build mechanical model and you'll come up with some very interesting processes no doubt