1880's Floating Steam Donkey Pile Driver by Keith Black - 1:120 Scale

Thank you to everyone for the likes and for the kind comments. 

The driver and barge are now permanently attached. The card represents the 16x20 engine shed and is placed where the shed will be located. As I'm trying to represent an early 1880's pile driver the tower stays are rigged with rope and bullseyes. The bullseyes measure 2.77mm. The loose lumber at the bow will be my pastels test piece when I reach that stage. 

8491AC11-7F81-46B9-B9EE-F92CFC904434.thumb.jpeg.af1ce2154069c6148aa9e356344ab250.jpeg

5A739D65-B18E-416B-9B94-E2882CD0CAD8.thumb.jpeg.4277ad21a6214bd090a763886fc35ce8.jpeg

The only items left for the tower are the side braces and once they're completed I'll be able to start on the Donkey.  

C258A264-58D7-4FFC-8213-CA17AF84CB4D.thumb.jpeg.e3fa281368d307ace9fbefa5edf2fb37.jpeg

Thank you to everyone for your support and for following along.

Keith

Current Builds: 1880s Floating Steam Donkey Pile Driver 

Wood Hull Screw Frigate USS Tennessee

Decorative Carrack Warship Restoration, the Amelia

Completed: Early Swift 1805 Model Restoration

9 hours ago, Keith Black said:

The loose lumber at the bow will be my pastels test piece

Keith - thank you for the clarification. This is the first time I had understood that ..........................................................................................................I thought the bow was the other end!😲

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

1 hour ago, KeithAug said:

I thought the bow was the other end!😲

Keith, my apologies. I thought we had clarified the bow issue in post #88 and #89. 

I'm really liking this project of yours! It's different and quite nice. If I start building an old wooden oil derrick, or windmill... "It's YOUR fault!" 

"The journey of a thousand miles is only the beginning of a thousand journeys!"

Current Build;

1776 Gunboat Philadelphia, Navy-Board Style, Scratch Build 1:24 Scale

On the Drawing Board;

1777 Continental Frigate 'Hancock', Scratch Build, Admiralty/Pseudo Hahn Style, "In work, active in CAD design stage!"

In dry dock;

Scratch Build of USS Constitution... on hold until further notice, if any.

Constructro 'Cutty Sark' ... Hull completed, awaiting historically accurate modifications to the deck, deck houses, etc., "Gathering Dust!"

Corel HMS Victory Cross Section kit "BASH"... being neglected!

Posted (edited)

Thank you to all for stopping by and the likes.

On 8/17/2024 at 10:18 AM, Cathead said:

That looks sooooo good.

Thank you very much, Eric.

On 8/17/2024 at 1:12 PM, tmj said:

I'm really liking this project of yours! It's different and quite nice. If I start building an old wooden oil derrick, or windmill... "It's YOUR fault!" 

Thank you and jump in, Tom........... and Ribbit. :)

The pile driver and barge are finished with the exception of weathering. The last eight pieces of the tower fought me tooth and nail but stubbornness won the day. 

6F4434FF-AD24-4495-BC17-E1B6C952ADBB.thumb.jpeg.9484984c871e898bd58d83c1e136449a.jpeg

The fairleads were the last bits added to the barge. 

05EBE03B-223B-40F3-9FF5-F2C2182EB9AA.thumb.jpeg.319fd26fd28602eb817b956405e4e8d4.jpeg

The next three photos show the wear board/plate added at the base of the tower throat thus saving the barge hull from damage. 

733A58DA-6B6D-46C8-A57E-1F5556472538.thumb.jpeg.4ee2f6ad2e8a99103b41c3d77c460b00.jpeg

982C36E6-0D86-4EC3-9F34-576EE3BFA778.thumb.jpeg.fe0292c2d959b601fd2cd463d999e678.jpeg

5A0153DC-2904-43B1-A110-A6006C75A202.thumb.jpeg.62291296c332060fd5bae0b3c046cabb.jpeg

Now that the driver and barge are done I can move on to the Steam Donkey and the engine shed. Lots of micro building from here on out. 

E1F57D41-7FE2-4503-94A2-3F1E2F925C43.thumb.jpeg.0fcc4a292f2a2604e3addfecd9977972.jpeg

Thank you to everyone for your support and for being part of the journey. 

Keith

Edited by Keith Black

I’m loving the level of detail that you are putting into this build Keith. Beautiful work as always. 

-Brian

Current Builds:                                                                                                 Completed Builds:

Mississippi River Towboat Caroline N.                                                    HMB Endeavor: Artesania Latina

USS Constitution - Cross Section: Mamoli

Non-Ship Builds:                                                                                              HMS Victory - Cross Section: Corel

New Shipyard                                                                                             King of the Mississippi - Steamboat: Artesania Latina

Battle Station Section: Panart (Gallery)

In Dry-dock                                                                                               Chaperon - 1884 Steamer: Model Shipways  

USS Constellation: Aretesania Latina                                                       USS Cairo - 1862 Ironclad: Scratch Build 

Flying Fish: Model Shipways                                                                               

Posted (edited)

Thank you to everyone for the likes and for following along. 

On 8/19/2024 at 1:12 PM, Glen McGuire said:

Just like your Tennessee - very clean and crisp build.  Looks great, Keith!

Thank you, Glen.

On 8/19/2024 at 2:21 PM, clearway said:

liking this more and more Keith

Thank you, Keith

On 8/19/2024 at 5:21 PM, GrandpaPhil said:

Looking good, Keith!

Thank you, Phil.

9 hours ago, TBlack said:

Keith, you seem to be good at that. Press on!

Tom,  thank you for having faith in these ole fingers. They're being tested on the Steam Donkey.

2 hours ago, FriedClams said:

Nice - very nice, Keith!

Thank you, Gary.

2 hours ago, Rick310 said:

Coming along really well Keith!!  It’s a very interesting subject!

Thank you, Rick.

1 hour ago, mbp521 said:

’m loving the level of detail that you are putting into this build Keith. Beautiful work as always.

Thank you, Brian. 

Today I started on the Donkey engine in earnest.  As I mentioned in an earlier post the boiler is a bit oversized. I did so intentionally as the whole engine assembly needs to be oversized to give myself a legitimate chance of making the engine pieces. The frame rails are wider than the drawing to provide more glueing surface and measures 1.0 inches x 0.60 inches. I'm oversized approximately 0.15 inches in width and 0.30 in length. 

I got the frame, valve chest, cylinder, steam supply, and steam exhaust lines made today.  The lines are 22 gauge brass wire, I'll leave the frame unpainted till the very end so as not to interfere with glueing.  With the exception of the frame all the pieces need some attention; valve chest and cylinder both need to be cleaned up around where the wire is inserted and another coat of paint, the top of steam exhaust line needs to dressed and both lines need to be painted.

This is a challenging/fun part of this build. It gets covered with the engine shed and depending on how well I do on the engine, either the shed doors will be wide open or just a crack. :)  

89F43152-D7C7-47E8-8B31-D1D90C4571E0.thumb.jpeg.7e5f38b72df3f99585b201cd38bdbf61.jpeg

I attached the engine plan at the start of the log but have attached again here since we're at this stage of the build. 

image.jpeg.2ecc1696755281e678e0df5c0571e5ff.jpeg

It's pool league tomorrow so it'll be a couple of days before the next post.

I want to thank each and everyone of you for inspiring me to put a shine on this ugly duck.

Keith

Edited by Keith Black

Keith, the engine is elegantly simple. Presumably not very fuel efficient but I bet maintenance and fault finding was a dream.

Keith

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

18 hours ago, Keith Black said:

I'm oversized approximately 0.15 inches in width and 0.30 in length.

It's hard to say if any of your dimensions are actually 'oversized' or not. I'll say that they are probably Spot-On for the "Keith Black Manufacturing Company, Inc.!" I'm sure that there were many companies who made these things, and I doubt that any two of those companies made them exactly the same way. Even the drawing that you posted is not sure, only guessing. It definitely looks like a period correct "Keith Black" model to 'me'!    

Current Build;

On the Drawing Board;

1777 Continental Frigate 'Hancock', Scratch Build, Admiralty/Pseudo Hahn Style, "In work, active in CAD design stage!"

In dry dock;

Constructro 'Cutty Sark' ... Hull completed, awaiting historically accurate modifications to the deck, deck houses, etc., "Gathering Dust!"

I gather vertical boilers were designed to raise steam quickly and don't need good foundations, as you would need for a locomotive-type boiler. And I don't think that fuel-efficiency was a major concern under those circumstances.

To me the boiler actually looked a bit small, but then I don't know how many horse-powers sustained one needs to drive one of those pile-drivers.

Good start on the machinery 👍🏻

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

22 hours ago, Keith Black said:

It gets covered with the engine shed and depending on how well I do on the engine, either the shed doors will be wide open or just a crack. 

Hi Keith, I have been following along in the background and enjoying your journey with this one.  Your build is coming along very nicely.

If you will permit me another suggestion might be to use a section of clear plastic (shirt box or the light) for a section of the shed roof to allow visibility to your boiler?  You could paint a little bit of the edges to give that ragged edge look a lot of illustrators use to imply a 'peeled away' section.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

21 hours ago, KeithAug said:

Keith, the engine is elegantly simple. Presumably not very fuel efficient but I bet maintenance and fault finding was a dream.

A screwdriver, a couple of monkey wrenches, some gasket material, and a can of black paint would have fixed anything.

20 hours ago, tmj said:

It's hard to say if any of your dimensions are actually 'oversized' or not. I'll say that they are probably Spot-On for the "Keith Black Manufacturing Company, Inc.!" I'm sure that there were many companies who made these things, and I doubt that any two of those companies made them exactly the same way. Even the drawing that you posted is not sure, only guessing. It definitely looks like a period correct "Keith Black" model to 'me'!    

Thank you, Tom. 

20 hours ago, wefalck said:

I gather vertical boilers were designed to raise steam quickly and don't need good foundations, as you would need for a locomotive-type boiler. And I don't think that fuel-efficiency was a major concern under those circumstances.

To me the boiler actually looked a bit small, but then I don't know how many horse-powers sustained one needs to drive one of those pile-drivers.

Good start on the machinery

Thank you, Eberhard. In the next photo I post I'll add one of the figures next to the engine to give a better sense of size. 

16 hours ago, BANYAN said:

Hi Keith, I have been following along in the background and enjoying your journey with this one.  Your build is coming along very nicely.

If you will permit me another suggestion might be to use a section of clear plastic (shirt box or the light) for a section of the shed roof to allow visibility to your boiler?  You could paint a little bit of the edges to give that ragged edge look a lot of illustrators use to imply a 'peeled away' section.

Thank you, Pat. How the engine turns out will be the deciding factor on how much visibility inside the shed there'll be. If it turns out well I may get some pointers from Gay, @FriedClams to help me add one oil lamp light inside the shed. Of course if you add lighting inside the shed I'd want to add a bench, tools etc etc. The shed would then become the focal point of the project and I think I want to avoid that. IMHO a equal blend would serve the model best. 

Thank you to everyone for the likes and for following along.

Keith

Keith,

Awesome build so far, I really like the detail you add to the model.  I think you should build two of the floating pile drivers. Have one with the steam engine exposed and the other in a shed, you could then have the best of both worlds. The diorama would be slightly larger, but you could make it work. 

13 hours ago, Daniel Kimmer said:

I think you should build two of the floating pile drivers.

I agree with Daniel - your pictures show both Keith.

Screenshot2024-08-23at09_37_40.thumb.png.81ce4c0ab8b817fac4e9be4ea2c38507.png

Keith

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

Thank you to everyone for the likes.

21 hours ago, Daniel Kimmer said:

Awesome build so far, I really like the detail you add to the model.  I think you should build two of the floating pile drivers. Have one with the steam engine exposed and the other in a shed, you could then have the best of both worlds. The diorama would be slightly larger, but you could make it work. 

8 hours ago, KeithAug said:

I agree with Daniel - your pictures show both Keith.

Thank you, Dan and Keith.

When I picked up the wood from Dan I shared a vision that's a long term project. With a limited amount of time (a few more years, hopefully) I don't see duplicating pile drivers unless, maybe, once the main project is completed and I still have time I might consider building a skid driver as it would fit in with the overall scheme. Once this build is completed I'll share my vision with everyone.

I added a flue damper, whistle, and pressure gauge. The figure next to the boiler shows how large the boiler actually is to scale while the US penny shows how small this is in real life. I think the cylinder is too large but that ship has sailed, it is what it is. I have the other components pretty mostly done and should have the engine completed by Sunday.

Yesterday, I was sorting through my metal bits collected over the years and finding those bits that would work on the engine. My wee brain was working faster than my fingers could keep up and I found myself jumping from one piece to the next, It was counter productive but I felt good about the build, the ideas were flowing fast and I could clearly envision the necessary steps needed to make it all work. It was a fun day at the worktable.   E76FA136-AA9E-45CF-A0DE-205B3CAD3BC6.thumb.jpeg.8cfd39c511bf21e999f67cb4dbe27e3a.jpeg 

Thank you everyone for taking the time to follow along.

Keith

9 minutes ago, Keith Black said:

With a limited amount of time (a few more years, hopefully) I don't see duplicating pile drivers

Keith - I am still working on my plan for extending your modelling career. 😀

Keith

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

1 hour ago, KeithAug said:

Keith - I am still working on my plan for extending your modelling career. 😀

Same here!  I think a bottle project would be a great way to keep the momentum going!

1 hour ago, Glen McGuire said:

Same here!  I think a bottle project would be a great way to keep the momentum going!

Keith, if you ever go with a 'bottle-project' please let me know. I have a good supply of .042" diameter 'deadeyes' that I'd be willing to share with you... free of charge! 🙂  

Current Build;

On the Drawing Board;

In dry dock;

Keith,  don't you just love days like those. :). PFC Gnomer Pile  says Move it ,move it move it. If we only  got a few years left, Giv'er (canadain), getter done( Texas).

Your work is awesome  my man. :dancetl6:

Bob  M.

PFCGP 

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:         The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,   Amati } Hannah Ship in a Bottle:Santa Maria : LA  Pinta : La Nana : The Mayflower : Viking Ship Drakkar  The King Of the Mississippi  Artesania Latina  1:80 

Current Build: Royal Yacht, Duchess of Kingston-Vanguard Models :)

Thank you to all for the likes and for taking the time to follow along. 

On 8/23/2024 at 1:49 PM, KeithAug said:

I am still working on my plan for extending your modelling career. 😀

Don't tarry. :)

On 8/23/2024 at 3:21 PM, Glen McGuire said:

In my youth I had many bottle projects but as I remember the only momentum was downward. :)

On 8/23/2024 at 4:52 PM, tmj said:

Keith, if you ever go with a 'bottle-project' please let me know. I have a good supply of .042" diameter 'deadeyes' that I'd be willing to share with you... free of charge! 🙂

Too funny, Tom.

On 8/23/2024 at 5:31 PM, Knocklouder said:

Keith,  don't you just love days like those. :). PFC Gnomer Pile  says Move it ,move it move it. If we only  got a few years left, Giv'er (canadain), getter done( Texas).

Your work is awesome  my man. :dancetl6:

Thank you, Bob. It is a joy when the work flows effortlessly and time ceases to exist. 

I said I'd have the engine finished by today, I worked till 3 AM this morning trying to get everything done but alas, not to be. I still have the flywheel to make. Flywheels are neat objects and some foundries made them works of art. As the left side of the engine is pretty boring I want to take my time and try to make a nice flywheel. The Steam Donkey isn't fixed to the deck so I can't spool up the drum with line, that will make a huge  difference in appearance. It won't be hard to spool the drum as the drum shaft turns so it's just a matter of winding on line. 94F80EDD-6954-4ED5-A757-996CB29B230F.thumb.jpeg.92348dce6d6c336067d0798c719c2c65.jpeg

DC545552-2CF5-42D1-9609-C062A26B3FFE.thumb.jpeg.3786f70861e23655c56a7333b7c25ef8.jpeg

4D0FEF1B-88C2-40B6-9F13-535FBF50BEFE.thumb.jpeg.c4ea08be75a6abf7bc1bf6e016940b0d.jpeg

As I said, the left side is pretty plain. 

388B405D-1A9B-41F8-84B4-30E2BBAC76B5.thumb.jpeg.0f49b0f05a51a2865dad8a3f0b493c8c.jpeg

Drive shaft less flywheel. The viewer has to imagine teeth on the drive gear and the drum's bull gear. i'm pretty cagey but I ain't that cagey. F1F865FF-7A92-42EE-B7D8-6B1DF4F8C0B1.thumb.jpeg.f2107c2e600b1f94f271a977246ec5da.jpeg

BEC8B107-95C9-4675-A1B4-172CD2E6CDB0.thumb.jpeg.70806ef6082255a567bb90c626e3d383.jpeg

5268A9CF-2ECF-4D29-9F5C-945631726821.thumb.jpeg.cbe2363ede86a521b434bc3210ab32bf.jpeg

6C41E5BF-E9D5-4490-BFBA-F68FC1C28582.thumb.jpeg.b93580287bba27e3297fc4d00aafc5cf.jpeg

Close up photos are so critical but I look at it this way, there's lots of tooth for the pastels. :)

EFA7F3D3-EB0D-4598-BDA7-BC6A3E09CA28.thumb.jpeg.274f486a4d18a7cf99632440eda768dd.jpeg

Thank you to each of you for being part of this journey.

Keith 

Keith

Your wonky donkey is looking just the job. I fear it may starve without teeth. I recommend a set of dentures and a cart load of carrots. 

Working to 3am isn't conducive to maintaining your youthful good looks. I admire your stamina but you need your beauty sleep.😀

Keith

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

5 hours ago, Keith Black said:

I worked till 3 AM this morning trying to get everything done

I thought I was abusing myself by staying up until 1:30am wanting to get a bit of trunnelling out of the way on my Philadelphia. You've got me beat by 1.5 hours. That makes me a 'lightweight'! *sigh* :imNotWorthy:  

Current Build;

On the Drawing Board;

In dry dock;

You guys are definitely  rookies  :D. Beauty sleep, lol, I got to be the uglyest ship builder, I have done an all nighter or two. More than once the First Mate has yelled down to the ship yard" Good God Bob it's morning 

🌄  😆

And @KeithAug, you must be thinking of my donkey it runs on carrots,  his run on wood.lol

Bob M.

Edited by Knocklouder

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:         The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,   Amati } Hannah Ship in a Bottle:Santa Maria : LA  Pinta : La Nana : The Mayflower : Viking Ship Drakkar  The King Of the Mississippi  Artesania Latina  1:80 

Current Build: Royal Yacht, Duchess of Kingston-Vanguard Models :)