Jaguar XK-E by CDW - Gunze Sangyo High Tech Model - 1:24 Scale

Posted (edited)

I rescued this partially built Jaguar XK-E from EBay. 
IMG_6489.thumb.jpeg.db49f11f383a881bb11b0f49cb5381b8.jpeg
The body had been painted (not very well). The first thing after I received it, I gave the body a three day bath in Super Clean degreaser to strip off the old paint. It came out of the bath clean as a whistle.

IMG_6490.thumb.jpeg.6cae9e78bc9a0d15811bb9647dce31c7.jpeg

Here is the partially assembled and painted cast metal engine. I will disassemble and strip it of paint as well.

IMG_6493.thumb.jpeg.30749a46f5e58507d834e2f78e6b6bc4.jpegIMG_6494.thumb.jpeg.bb90e299538cfdf2f21dcab8c8324154.jpeg

The rubber parts and partially assembled wire wheels.

IMG_6491.thumb.jpeg.d0e346eed918f1e60ace6c2fdf505fd6.jpeg

The plastic parts

IMG_6492.thumb.jpeg.b33fc9b1b69f32d94afc32d927d48869.jpeg

A plethora of white metal, photo etch, and various multimedia parts. Kit appears to be complete at first examination.

IMG_6495.thumb.jpeg.c101600f4239c13704f79efac2fce095.jpeg

Cleanup and construction to begin soon.

Edited by CDW

41 minutes ago, gsdpic said:

Looks like an interesting rescue.   I have to limit my looking at ebay :)   It will be interesting to see how it comes together.

I had this model in a saved search as I have been looking for one over a year. Not easy to find and expensive when you do. I waited until I found one at a price I was willing to pay. The all plastic versions are easy to find and not too expensive and the version without an engine is not as hard to come by either. In all, Gunze produced three versions of this kit, Double that (6 kits) if you include the hardtop version.

Posted (edited)

This will  be  good - looking forward  to this  mate.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Nice rehab of this kit. Looking forward to your redo.

We had a guy in the neighborhood where I grew up that had an E in British Racing Green. Sharp color.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Posted (edited)

Here is an off-topic kit I will start in the ship building section soon. Been an awful long time since Testors did a hydroplane kit. Been looking forward to this. Limited production and quantities. Search “Griggs Department Store” in Washington State if you want to acquire one. It’s the only source I could find for the kit.

IMG_6497.jpeg

IMG_6498.jpeg

IMG_6499.jpeg

Edited by CDW

I spent 35 years restoring E Types (and other Jags) 1:1 scale.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, CDW said:

Here is an off-topic kit I will start in the ship building section soon. Been an awful long time since Testors did a hydroplane kit. Been looking forward to this. Limited production and quantities. Search “Griggs Department Store” in Washington State if you want to acquire one. It’s the only source I could find for the kit.

Try the Hydroplane museum, they have a whole line in the same scale, (the Miss Griggs is a one off for Griggs)

I have two, the Miss Homestreet Bank and the generic one which give a wide range of liveries and can be built into a Merlin or P&W powered boat... I'm going to do it as the Merlin powered Miss Oh Boy Oberto....

Not bad for what you get.... And it's just about the only game in town today... (I wish they would do a Miss Bud or a Miss Atlas Van Lines)

Edited by Egilman

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

17 minutes ago, Egilman said:

Try the Hydroplane museum, they have a whole line in the same scale, (the Miss Griggs is a one off for Griggs)

I have two, the Miss Homestreet Bank and the generic one which give a wide range of liveries and can be built into a Merlin or P&W powered boat... I'm going to do it as the Merlin powered Miss Oh Boy Oberto....

Not bad for what you get.... And it's just about the only game in town today... (I wish they would do a Miss Bud or a Miss Atlas Van Lines)

Oh man! I am doomed now. I’ll end up with those for sure. Thanks for that link!

17 minutes ago, CDW said:

Oh man! I am doomed now. I’ll end up with those for sure. Thanks for that link!

No Problem, My pleasure... I'm probably going to wind up with both the Beacon Plumbing and Electric boats, a Seattle company known for it's Marshawn Lynch commercial, "Don't go Freakin' Call Beacon!!!!" {chuckle}

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Posted (edited)

I realized a problem with this kit today. The forward chassis components. If you look at the pieces circled in red, you will notice my kit has two right sides rather than a right and left side. I need to step back and figure out how I am going to solve this problem. Finding a correct left side part is going to be next to impossible. I may be able to cut away the upright piece and attach it in the opposite direction but then that also means reworking the diagonal tube that runs through it, actually cast into it. Not an impossible task but a pesky one.

In the meantime, I have some low temp solder and liquid flux on order as I want to solder my white metal parts together rather than using CA glue. The gap filling properties and stronger bond of solder appeals to me vs: CA glue.

Chassis Problem.jpg

Edited by CDW

Oh man, that is unfortunate that you have the incorrect part.  Is that one also broken at the back?  The top piece does not extend as far back as the one on the other side.   Perhaps that is why the original build was abandoned.  I guess that upright piece is probably the mounting point for the front suspension so a pretty critical part.  Sounds to me like another case of needing 3d design skills and resin printing capability.  :)

- Gary

Current Build: Artesania Latina Sopwith Camel

Completed Builds: Blue Jacket America 1/48th  Annapolis Wherry

18 minutes ago, gsdpic said:

Oh man, that is unfortunate that you have the incorrect part.  Is that one also broken at the back?  The top piece does not extend as far back as the one on the other side.   Perhaps that is why the original build was abandoned.  I guess that upright piece is probably the mounting point for the front suspension so a pretty critical part.  Sounds to me like another case of needing 3d design skills and resin printing capability.  :)

Yes it is broken off there. I saw that first but it wasn’t as big a deal as the other piece. And yes, it’s the mounting point for the control arms. 

Ahh..those pics bring back bittersweet memories..my 63 Series 1 3.8 triple carb coupe  #888626,  resto took six years..Classic  Jaguar , Austin TX and Best of Britain, VT..  op. silver blue.  Personally, I restored a 57 MGA roadster and a 59 MGA coupe #330, which I raced on the vintage circuits.  never broke, but ran out of fuel  at Watkins Glen on the last lap!    I had a bunch of Corvettes,but got hooked on Brit cars.  The 3.8 was one fast car..I sold it six years ago,. My wife hated it, loved the MGA roadster..B engine ,Ford 5 SPD.etc.  Drove it to Nova Scotia, Tennessee, RI, never skipped a beat...my two cents..happy shipbuilding!

John Coryea (Manning 16)

14 minutes ago, manning16 said:

Ahh..those pics bring back bittersweet memories..my 63 Series 1 3.8 triple carb coupe  #888626,  resto took six years..Classic  Jaguar , Austin TX and Best of Britain, VT..  op. silver blue.  Personally, I restored a 57 MGA roadster and a 59 MGA coupe #330, which I raced on the vintage circuits.  never broke, but ran out of fuel  at Watkins Glen on the last lap!    I had a bunch of Corvettes,but got hooked on Brit cars.  The 3.8 was one fast car..I sold it six years ago,. My wife hated it, loved the MGA roadster..B engine ,Ford 5 SPD.etc.  Drove it to Nova Scotia, Tennessee, RI, never skipped a beat...my two cents..happy shipbuilding!

John Coryea (Manning 16)

Thanks for sharing those memories. I enjoyed reading about it. I once owned a '64 Triumph TR4A that was so much fun to drive. Nearly 50 years ago, I had the opportunity to trade for an XK-E but got wet feet. It wasn't running and I feared what it might take to get it going. Back then, parts for these cars were hard to come by and expensive when you could get them.