USF Confederacy by Bill Hime - Model Shipways - 1:64 scale

This is the opening day of C.W. Hime Shipyard! As previously discussed, the Admiral completely re-arranged our living room to put the shipyard front and center. I know the dust issues, having been a cabinetmaker and modelrailroader. I'm confident we can handle it with dust control methods and some more involved sanding taken place in the garage.

Most importantly, I'm ecstatic to share this journey and part of my heart with my wife, Sateash and all the new friends we develop here at MSW 2.0!

So as promised, I'm going to attempt to load the before and after pics of the living room become shipyard:

post-7772-0-87293100-1383452163_thumb.jpg

post-7772-0-77913400-1383452550_thumb.jpg

post-7772-0-52319900-1383452606_thumb.jpg

Passion is Patience...and I am a carpenter in any scale.

Current build;  Endurance - 1:70 scale, Occre

Current build;    H.M.S. Surprise - 1796, 1:48 A L

Wow! That is such a huge change! I love the before and after pics! Eventhough I have been able to have the luxury of watching it all develop before my very eyes, I didn't realize how dramatic of a difference it made to enhance our living room! You are an amazing man and I am blessed to have you as my husband :) I can't wait to have those shelves loaded with shipbuilding tools and work through the progress together.

I love you Bill Hime!!!

That's a nice structure you have over there Bill.

Just what Sateash is saying, it should looking very nice with tools and kits  :D

When do you gonna start the build ?

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Kits not here yet. But many things to research and creating a list of things I want to incorporate in this build. We're having a couple of pints of beer tonight to celebrate the opening!

Warm Regards!  :cheers:

Bill

If I understand it correctly, you order the kits?

And now you have to go for a search of tools you needed?

When you go to a modelshop be sure you have enough money with you  :P  :P

The first time I went to that shop, it cost me almost a fortune.

There is so much that you want but not always need  :P

When you get started I'll be at the first row to see.

And before anyone else beats me on this....I love pictures !!!!!!!!!!

One question...do you have space for a popcorn machine?

We like to watch but also love's popcorn !

Hi Bill,

After reading your lovely wife's introduction yesterday, I just had to drop in and say hi to you both on your new build log. Looks like you've got the space sorted. Now all we need is the model kit! I'll look forward to following you on this build. I'll sit down front next to Sjors and make sure he behaves himself. Just make sure you post plenty of pictures to keep Sjors happy! :P

I'm here Sjors.  No way I was going to let you and Grant have all the fun.  Looks as if we have another team on board to rival the Anja/Sjors duo :)

The workspace looks great.  I like the good lighting --- very important.  And you can handle the dust with your experience!  Looking forward to the build logs.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Welcome to the forum Bill & Sateach, with the bunch of guys your getting here your in for some entertainment, hope you don't mind some banter. :D  :D :D  

Hope you guys can make space for a little one, gonna join you. Looking for the dust to start flying and that's before the build starts. ^_^  ^_^

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Good morning everyone! Welcome to the C.W. Hime Shipyard  :piratebo5:

Sjors, No the kits are not ordered yet, but very very soon! We invested a bit of cash in the materials to but together the shipyard this week. And yes, Sateash setup a nice corner for the popcorn machine! I have quite a few hobby tools I'm going to dig out today and start organizing and make a list of things I know I'm going to need yet specific to shipbuilding :)

gjdale, Thank you for the warm welcome! There will definitely be a lot of pics and details of every step. I think that is the only way to get good input in this first and very challenging build.

Augie, Thank you, the work space sure is more than I expected to have to start with, no excuses there, lol! I sure do have a lot to live up to following your footsteps and the detailing of your build log. Thank you for being a huge inspiration to me!

Mobbsie, Thank you, and bring on the banter! I love the comradely that I've seen displayed here at MSW :)

I also said I was doing a side build. I've elected to do the "Pride of Baltimore 2", by Model Shipways, 1:64 scale. A very sleek and beautiful ship with a neat history as well.

Any thoughts on this choice are more than welcome. I will start a build log for the "PofB2" when I actually receive the kit.

So here's my immediate question, where is the best place to order these kits from? Does it make a difference being in the U.S.? What kind of time should I expect to wait for them to arrive?

Also, best place to order lumber, i.e.. boxwood, limewood, ebony, etc...?

Once again, thank you to everyone! Sateash and I are so excited to take this journey with all of you! 

Warm Regards,  

Bill

Hi Bill,

I look forward to seeing you start the Confed, my build is on hiatus at the moment but should be restarting in a month or so, I'm at about the halfway point on my Confederacy, also check out Rustys and ChrisL scratch builds of her.

As for ordering the models, model expo sells the kits in USA and has discounts now and then that can be up 60% off.

If you are looking for really good quality wood check out jeff@hobbmill, awesome stuff.

Ben

For MS kits, I think Model Expo is the way to go.  Shipping rates are reasonable, and they've always given me excellent service on missing or damaged parts.  Shipping is about a week from the time you order until delivery....provided the item is not back ordered.

As far as wood, I've only used Jeff @ HobbyMill and I can't imagine anyone doing it better.

Haven't built Pride of Baltimore but she's a beautiful schooner at a nice scale.  You'll learn a lot from her.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

So we spent the day getting together all my modeling tools. I took a picture for all of you to look at and tell me if there's anything missing ;).....now what scale was that ship???

post-7772-0-01037700-1383544135_thumb.jpg

post-7772-0-91175400-1383544159_thumb.jpg

post-7772-0-92203500-1383544176_thumb.jpg

post-7772-0-23188400-1383544186_thumb.jpg

Hi Bill,

Sorry to be late arriving. Welcome to MSW.

I think you'll find Pride of Baltimore 2 to be a satisfying model. I built it about 10 years ago, and enjoyed it so much I got another one. It's also a good one to get your feet wet on.

I thought about getting the Confederacy, but I enough projects waiting to be built. Besides, for every kit I have and build, it puts a scratchbuilt model that much farther out.

Nice collection of tools there. I also like the ship on the big screen!

Thanks,

Harvey

Looks like you have it covered.  Just need a 2 man crosscut saw and you're all set.

You'll pick up specialty tools as you need them.  Don't forget glues and lot's of sandpaper for sanding blocks/sticks.  THINK SMALL !

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Wow Bill,

Are you sure you want to make a model and not a real ship ??????????

The tools that I see , I think they build the Titanic with that  :P  :P

It's just what Augie is saying....think small !!!!!!

I think that the most important tools that you can use is a set of small file's, little clamps,Exacto knife ( scalpel or a set that you can buy complete with different knifes ) small hammer ( no sledge hammer.) wood glue sandpaper and a lot of enthousiasme !!!!!!!

Then it comes all together.

You told me that Sateash has make room for the popcorn machine.

Ok, here it is  :D  :D  :D

I hope she will found a nice place for it.

nootjes_en_popcorn_18.gif

Harvey, Thank you for the warm welcome and the input on the Pride of Baltimore. It looks like this kit will arriving first and I can't wait!

Augie, Sateash and I were just looking at a collection of 2-man saws at a local museum. I think I know just which one we need ;)!

Glues, clamps, and sanding is first on my list. Oh and a micro sander. I'm very good with my hands but I want the control of that tool. I have a                        dremel, but I don't see much use for it but perhaps in a drill press attachment.

Sjors, I got so excited, I forgot what scale I was working in ;)! Yep popcorn machine is here. Now we just need the kit! I will start a separate build log for the                 Pride of Baltimore when she arrives!

John, The hammer's in the garage ;)

Bill

Hi Bill, welcome aboard!!  get yourself down to Harbor Freight and get some needle files, a bunch of small clamps, the really small drill index they offer, and a set of the mini pliers.... it has a pair of nice needle nose, dikes, curved and long-nose pliers etc, and if you want to splurge they have a pretty good combo sander - disc and belt - it's no Byrnes machine but it will do ya for a while....  if you haven't checked out Byrnesmodelmachines.com you need to, if you are gonna get serious about this hobby you will be a customer of his sooner or later  :)  for the price to buy ready to use upgraded wood for a behemoth like Confederacy you could probably get his saw and thickness sander (well maybe) and they will last you for the rest of your modeling career - all you need to do is buy the wood.... but that is only if you want to mill and replace the wood that comes with your kits.... or heaven forbid, join the dark side... which judging from your prior posts about passion and excellence ....  you will....just say'in. Looking forward to joining you in your journey....  Blessings to you and your bride.....

Lou

Ah....made it before all the seats are gone.    :)   Looks like a well thought out work area.   Sjors, pass the popcorn, please.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

that s my dream work space u have there lol i wish for one but never happen for me thats great work space u have going  my work space is an big old door i had laying around lol  

Lou, Thank you for the greeting! And thank you for the tool suggestions. Sateash and I sat down last night and made out a prioritized wish list :)

Oh, and about the "Dark Side", I came into this with that already as a goal. In fact I did some design work last night on a highly detailed Captain's                     quarters that would hinge open from port side to reveal the furnished quarters ;)

Mark,  Thank you, I couldn't be happier with how my work space turned out!

dragzz,  Thank you as well! I've waited a long time to have such a space as this. I have a wonderful wife, Sateash, who made it happen!

Harvey,  Sateash is a wonderful hostess! We have plenty of beer and places for everyone to sit. Lol, that's why the shop is in the living room ;)!

Hi Bill,

I'm just curious about your location. My knowledge of American geography is appalling, so please indulge me. Is Madison where you are the same as Madison County, as in the book title "The Bridges of Madison County?" (Great book, by the way).

Cheers,

Grant

Mark, did you bring the beer?

Yep, we're all set. post-76-0-82101500-1383694277.gif post-76-0-42992800-1383694372.gif

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Bill,

I'm just curious about your location. My knowledge of American geography is appalling, so please indulge me. Is Madison where you are the same as Madison County, as in the book title "The Bridges of Madison County?" (Great book, by the way).

Cheers,
Grant 

The book is set in the state of Iowa. Wisconsin is bordered north by Lake Superior and bordered east by Lake Michigan. Iowa grows corn, we make cheese and beer ;)!

Bill

Hi Bill, looking forward to your build!  i hope to start my Confed by Christmas.

Good luck!

Thank you Wes! I can't wait to get started. In the meantime, I'm ordering the Pride of Baltimore hopefully by the end of the weekend. I'll start a build log for the Pride when it gets here ;)

Warm Regards,

Bill