Holiday Harbor by popeye the sailor - 1:20 scale - multi build

thanks to everyone....and all who hit the like button.    I really like that tinted cello.........really neat that I have a rather large piece too  ;)   as in the pictures show,  harder to look in,  than to look out  :)   the smear is port side,  lower corner Carl........this stuff is amazing.   it dries so clear that it blends in very well...

...you really have to look for it.   I found this method,  the best way to do windows {that I've done before}.     today,  the portholes should be dry and I can install them..........and perhaps get the trim on there.  we'll see what else I can add  :)    thanks again for indulging in my madness  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Really like the paint job Denis.  Great progress.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

That came out real nice Denis.......... excellent work with the painting!

frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

thanks Frank and Piet....now that the base colors are on....it will only get better adding more   ;)

I have a bit of progress from yesterday....a wee bit more.  I started to put some of the decorative hardware on,  beginning at the bow.

post-612-0-29599600-1469127393.jpg

for the blocks I spoke of earlier,   I thought I had some of the 7 mm single blocks {plastic}....all I have is 5 mm.   now,  I have some 7 mm double blocks in plastic,  but they wouldn't look right.   I then thought of the metal reel blocks that used for the Andrea Gail  {I got 'em out of the Boulogne Etaples kit}.  I didn't even bother looking.......I need to make some anyway,  to make up for what I took.........so I figured I'd get a little practice in.   I have a package of 8,  6,  and 4 mm reel pulleys...I'll use the 8 mm.   a strip of thin brass was cut,  sectioned and folded.   then with a pair of Hurk-u-scissors {these are my narly pair of scissors......strong like bull.........never get dull!},  the folded piece of brass was cut to the shape of the reel pulley.  the pulley was then put in between,  and the center hole was drilled.......brass rod was run through it and CA'd.  not too shabby for a first try.

post-612-0-71820100-1469128422.jpg

post-612-0-79785000-1469128444.jpg

another hole was drilled in the top tab.......it and an eye bolt was threaded on a small metal ring,  closing it up afterwards.

here is what it looks like on the Gallow.

post-612-0-63217700-1469128579.jpg

the second one was a bit harder.........since I didn't use a template.......had a few rejects.  I did finally get the second one made though.

post-612-0-60907800-1469128675.jpg

the windshield is cemented in place as well.........still a couple touch ups to do.   hope to have more soon  :)

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

thanks for the likes folks....still a lot more to add  :)      like this,  for instance.............

it's time to further introduce the third color.....get a bit more on the boat.   since the Jingle Belle is basically red,  I wanted to paint this one green.   but, the admiral saw the pictures and thought it looked cute white.  I'll still have a chance to throw some green at it..........later,  of course  ;)     the half round dowel strips are more than dry by now......I started on the port bow.     upper strip........lower strip and the portholes

post-612-0-97389300-1469141262.jpg

post-612-0-91778700-1469141274.jpg

starboard bow.....same process.

post-612-0-87067200-1469141330.jpg

post-612-0-82074400-1469141345.jpg

since the line to the aft is faulted,  I could not continue all the way back......I had to have a break.   I continued it on a new  line,  with an inch or so overlap.   port side and transom

post-612-0-78016800-1469141628.jpg

post-612-0-80633200-1469141639.jpg

starboard side....

post-612-0-51014000-1469141677.jpg

post-612-0-23864500-1469141690.jpg

I need to adjust the transom end of this side....hard to see,  but it's there.  I also painted the prop and cemented it in place as well.

post-612-0-38057900-1469141786.jpg

I do believe I've pretty much caught up with the Jingle Belle  :)  :)  :)

post-612-0-57123200-1469142050.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Between the brass pulleys and the red trim, she's starting to pop right off the screen, Denis.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Miami-vice crab-n-fishin boat....yeah.

Nice look..clean and sharp as a tack.

Rob

Edited by rwiederrich

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

thanks to all the kind comments and those who hit the like button.   oddly enough,  this does seem to fall into the typical Maine lobster boat color schemes,  although it is just  little loud  ;)    there is a bit more for the outside........but for the inside,  I'll tone down the color,  still keeping with the two color scheme.

you'll see what I mean soon  :)

they do make a Miami Vice boat model Rob....Monogram makes it.  few decades old though...not sure if it can still be had.   three different kits

saw one once.........told I couldn't have it........WAAAAAAAAA!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

hello Gerty!    thanks for the good word  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Very nice metal work Denis and the red trim really works great, simple but elegant.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

thanks Piet.........appreciate the kind word :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

G'day Denis

Been away for a time and I've just spent 2 hours reading and enjoying your log.BRILLIANT is all I can say mate.

havagooday

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Hi Denis,

All I have to say is " very nice work ".        :dancetl6:

Keep it up, matey

Keith

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

The Unicorn - The Lindworm - Malahini -  Shinobi Maru  -  The MaryJane - The Weeligstraal

Hi Denis

Well done! I like the trims around, makes the boat more "spicy" :)

Regards

Gerhard

Problems just mean: solutions not yet found

Models in progress

SMS DANZIG

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12842-sms-danzig-1851-by-gerhardvienna-radio-150-scale/

USS CAIRO

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13282-uss-cairo-by-gerhardvienna-live-steam-radio/

Baby Bootlegger 1/10

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13625-baby-bootlegger-110-radio-by-gerhardvienna/

Swiss paddlesteamer RIGI 1848 1:50, after plans from the Verkehrshaus Zürich, rescaled to original length

Anchor tugboat BISON, 1:50, plans from VTH, scratch

Finished models

See-Ewer ELBE, Constructo kit 1:48

German fastboat after plans from german Reichskriegsmarine measure unknown (too ugly to show up!)

German traffic boat for battleships WW2, 1:50, after plans from Jürgen Eichardt, scratch

German Schnellboot TIGER P6141 VTH plans, scratch

thanks to all of you for the kind comments,  and to those who hit the like button.     the work week is over.........playtime tomorrow   YIPPIE!!!!!!!   :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

well........I didn't get all the time in the world,  as I would have liked.   the two days of this week was spent making plate holders for the admiral's hutch.   given the size of the hutch,  she needed plate holders that would fit three plates.  I have never seen any like that.....so I made 'em....three of them.  they came out pretty good.....if I do say so myself!  :)

I did get a little time in today.   I had started to make this last week.  I'm sure folks out there are wondering how they could get out on the bow.   well........it all starts with the frame.

post-612-0-60084800-1469758866.jpg

actually,  it's stuck to the table......CA does funny things :rolleyes:      after freeing from it's surly bonds,  it got a little samding and then an outer frame.

post-612-0-82423600-1469759002.jpg

then the top got cemented on and I cut a door for it.   the top created a channel for the door to slide in.

post-612-0-70092600-1469759104.jpg

I did the finish sanding and then these parts were painted.   a hardware handle was made and fitted on the door,  and the assembly was cemented in place on the roof of the bow cabin.   it's very simple........the paint makes it look good,  I think

post-612-0-72123200-1469759287.jpg

post-612-0-94419700-1469759301.jpg

this is probably all I'm gonna get to do this week.........back to work after tomorrow.   gonna go babysit the grandkids.

it was to be for a couple of hours..........but now it has blossomed into most of the day.   the boys are getting older,  so I'll probably need some 80 proof nerve medicine when I get home.   I say it purely in jest.........we hardly ever get to see them.   for those who recall  after the holidays,  I bought a couple of snap tite model kits by Revell....the darn things are still in my closet.   I'm going to bring them tomorrow....me 'n the boys are gonna put'em together  :)   .....and I hope they like it!    dad will be VERY happy with me  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

HI Denis

What better way to spend time than with the grandkids!  I hope they enjoy the modelling every bit as you will.

Oh...and did I forget to mention that the long forecastle of the boat looks mighty sharp!  That, combined with the red trim looks pretty darn good!

All the best!

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

I like that hatchway.  A nice touch to a good looking bow.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

thanks for the good word and the likes folks!  it's still missing a few more aspects there.    I'm planning on some type of railings,  perhaps a  small Sampson post....just a few things.   I may get back earlier today,  so all may not be lost.

models are in  the bag........I'm all ready..........are you honey................errrrrrrrrrrr,honey?  does anyone remember the song 'slowpoke' ?  :

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks for the good word and the likes folks!  it's still missing a few more aspects there.    I'm planning on some type of railings,  perhaps a  small Sampson post....just a few things.   I may get back earlier today,  so all may not be lost.

models are in  the bag........I'm all ready..........are you honey................errrrrrrrrrrr,honey?  does anyone remember the song 'slowpoke' ?  :

Patience Denis!

You can't rush'em.

Cheers

Patrick

had a great day with the grand kids!   they enjoyed the model cars.......but they only took 1/2 hour to build.   it was Tripp's birthday on Saturday,  so we gave him his presents early.........they love legos.  we got 'em a couple of the lego put together kit things.......Jurassic park.   that took a while.....and then of course,  to play with it after  :)    got home a bit later than expected......oh well  >shrug<

our son Kevin has officially moved out of the house.  he still has some clothes here,  but he can get 'em after getting organized in the new place.   just us and Gibbs........we hear an echo  { I told her to just lay some foam on the floor....it'll deaden the sound  ;) }

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Dave.   this all happened pretty fast...........I wonder if it's supposed to?

thanks for the good word !  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: