Holiday Harbor by popeye the sailor - 1:20 scale - multi build

G'day Denis

Patrick might have an idea, but a less severe solution would be to get some balsa wood and shape it for the bow to help to hold the shape. Just thinking out loud.

Havagooday my friend

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

that might be the way to go Greg {and Patrick}.   I thought of making a couple of ribs to stick in there.   one consideration

you forgot the dynamite John........perhaps even a blowtorch.   although an alteration like that might be fun   :D   two considerations

I thought of that as well Mobbsie........now that would be a cool design.   .........less dynamite too   ;)

thanks John.......very kind to say,  but I goofed.  gonna take more than a can 'o spinach ta get me outa this one.

the chine parts were key..........and I omitted them.   well......I'll just have to make the best of it.   I haven't scrubbed a hull yet.

it's been a couple of weeks  {I think}  since I last posted......these late answers are proof of that.   I really haven't had much to report.....been a little busy on other matters.   I am on vacation this week end.   I have a couple other chores to do,  but I should see some table time.  in fact, I saw a little yesterday.  looking at my mess {thank the model god the admiral doesn't seem to mind},  I tried to make some sense of the hull.  I figured that I might as well start working from the stern to the bow.........and so I did.   I filled in the last two segments of the aft.

post-612-0-56437100-1466735967.jpg

then,  after sanding the transom smooth,  along with the planking surrounding it,  I took a piece of 1/32 flat stock and traced out the transom.   this was cemented over the transom to hide all that Frankenism.

post-612-0-24601600-1466736124.jpg

when it was dry,  it was sanded to shape.......I only saw one tiny gap that need to be fixed.  it looks much better now.

post-612-0-52637900-1466736219.jpg

I need to do this now to the inside cockpit bulwark and the cabin bulkhead.   first.......I'll fix the hull problem....then I can work on the cabin.   if you saw my initial idea......you'da thought I got a bad can 'o spinach........or it was definitely laced with something.  but I came to my senses and ripped it out.   I began to plank the bow starting at the keel........seems like a better approach.   I may make up a couple pairs of bulkheads and close the hull inward.

post-612-0-22946000-1466737338.jpg

I have gone further with it........more progress soon  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

not to poke fun at my own shortcomings..........but did you get a load of that shoe?   looks like I need to do some necro with it as well  ;)

the night is dark and full of terror..........

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Shoe?   All I see is a well-done model being built.   I think you did it sir... 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

oh yea John..........cook'in! ;)   the guys won't let me on board with the blow torch though..........I dunno......some crap about no pipes and start'in a fire,  or something.   thanks for looking in.........good ya do,  so I don't hurt myself  ;)  :D

Mark.....really?!?!   >look........I'm smil'in<   shoe......that appendage that holds the rudder in place.......that's supposed to be UNDER the boat,  rather than trail behind it like a tail :D  :D   I saw that,  and I almost busted out laughing.........       I will fix it later,  if I don't break it off first.  funny thing about that too....is all the weird positions I've had this hull in,  and it hasn't broken yet.  now that I've mentioned it....it will break  :D   >like I'm gonna cry<

thank to all for the likes.......I should have another update by this evening.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

sorry I'm late..........it's hard to type with CA on my finger tips.   I had inverted  "sticky Keys".  :)  I've had to stop many times during the entire process to clean off my fingers........immersing them in water helped somewhat.....brake parts cleaner works well too.   I began by doing both sides at the same time......but I ended up concentrating on one side,  once I gained momentum.   starting at the keel,  I worked my way down from there......trying to let it  'fan out'  as much as it wanted.   the trouble here,  is it didn't.....it wanted to run close to the bulkhead.   when I got to the point where I was going to close the gap at the bow stem....I lapped it onto the hull side.   the gap here was filled in with material,  making sure that it was installed at an angle.  the hull side was prepped to receive the planking,  by shaving it down just a little,  giving it a curved  'dip'.   as more planks were run,  it was the same.......making sure that they followed the plank next to them.

post-612-0-77529800-1466862274.jpg

for the last plank,  you see that it will be rather narrow.   no matter.......extra wood will be left there,  since quite a bit of sanding is going to happen along this line.   I know it looks rather scary........I didn't quite get what I wanted,  but I got most of it.   just as you described Mobbsie,  I wanted to give the bow sort of an inverted flare  "V"  ...along the lines of what would be seen on power boats.......including PT boats.   I have model magazines that contain quite a few articles about PT boats......

....one day perhaps  {I do have that Marine Model kit still in the closet}.

post-612-0-60822800-1466862735.jpg

for the final section of planking....here I shaved down this small area and sanded it flat.   this is to be the apex of the curvature.   along this hull line,  it will need a lot of sanding and shaping...I'll do some of it as I go along.   then I can do the other side and match what I've done here.

post-612-0-75679100-1466862951.jpg

for almost the entire assembly......I've used CA.......I can't even guess how many of those small tubes I went through.  as I was doing the other side,  the excess wood was cut off and some sanding was done.   here is what it looks like at this point.

post-612-0-49788300-1466863214.jpg

post-612-0-38259900-1466863233.jpg

it kinda hard to see the contour with the plank lines and brabble running interference.  once I can get a picture of it with resin and primer.........then it can be seen more easily.   so now it on with the other side.

post-612-0-64588700-1466863376.jpg

I get this one brand of CA at Wal-Greens......been using it for quite some time.  I was running out,  so while we were in the local Wal-Mart,  I picked up their brand.    soooooooooo not the same!   GRRRRRRRR!   that stuff wouldn't stick to save my life!.........meant for longer holding time.   I have few clamps that can do some of the tasks I require....you see,  I've been reading that book......."Karma Sutra"........Hmmmmmmmmm.......don't know if I can get my hull to do THAT!!!!

so anyways.....when it was dry enough,  the excess was cut off and some sanding was done.  again,  it is a little hard to see,  with everything going on on the surface.

post-612-0-01444000-1466863982.jpg

post-612-0-99328500-1466864241.jpg

I took a couple of pictures this morning without the light........you may see it a little better.

post-612-0-85701700-1466864293.jpg

post-612-0-87731100-1466864306.jpg

now it will get more sanding {story of my life} :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Denis

Congrats - Another milestone reached! The hull's Starting to take shape nicely especially with the fine entry to the bow.

More sanding and a lick of paint will definitely go a long way to making her look even better.

Keep up the great work.

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

thanks Patrick...... I have a round piece of stair railing that I wrap sandpaper around.  sculpt out the curvature a little more and up sweep the bow angle.  now I gotta go get some resin.   I don't think I'm going to use the cloth  on it though........really don't want to get the cloth pattern showing through.  I hope to show more soon.    thanks also for all the likes....at least I'll know that it wasn't any of you guys........if the 'white coats come knock'in  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Nice curvature, Denis. It will be more nice when you apply "story of your life"

;)

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Hang in there, Denis.  I think sanding is the "story of all our lives" in this hobby.  :)  ;)       And no, it won't be any of us calling the guys in the white coats with the butterfly nets because the next person they could be picking up could easily be one of us.  :D  :D  :D  :D

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Very nice progress on the hull Denis.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

........if the 'white coats come knock'in   ;)

IF they come? I`m waiting every second for them :huh: .............

No wonder, when I`m having 6 open projects! (Danzig, Rigi, Cairo, tugboat Bison, Baby Bootlegger, and there was somewhere the Eppleton Hall waiting!)

Well done so far, but I would have the bow a bit more smooth, that big crease down to the keel irritates me, will possible not be good for flow resistance........

Maybe you could fill it with some balsa wood and sand it to shape?

Regards :cheers:

Gerhard

Problems just mean: solutions not yet found

Models in progress

SMS DANZIG

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12842-sms-danzig-1851-by-gerhardvienna-radio-150-scale/

USS CAIRO

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13282-uss-cairo-by-gerhardvienna-live-steam-radio/

Baby Bootlegger 1/10

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13625-baby-bootlegger-110-radio-by-gerhardvienna/

Swiss paddlesteamer RIGI 1848 1:50, after plans from the Verkehrshaus Zürich, rescaled to original length

Anchor tugboat BISON, 1:50, plans from VTH, scratch

Finished models

See-Ewer ELBE, Constructo kit 1:48

German fastboat after plans from german Reichskriegsmarine measure unknown (too ugly to show up!)

German traffic boat for battleships WW2, 1:50, after plans from Jürgen Eichardt, scratch

German Schnellboot TIGER P6141 VTH plans, scratch

Go Popeye Go,

I like the hull shape, good job mate.... :dancetl6:

Will keep an eye skinned for further posts.... ;)

Keith

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

The Unicorn - The Lindworm - Malahini -  Shinobi Maru  -  The MaryJane - The Weeligstraal

holy smokes!   what have i done!?!   I caused all of you who looked in to get  'tone blindness'!   I didn't mean it ...I tell ya!............we'll get medical help for you folks right away!

no.......actually I'm kinda glad to see so many who like it......it's not exactly what I wanted,  but I'll take it.   ;)   the existing bulkhead at the bow should have been shaved down a bit.......it appears to be a little bulgy in the keel area,  but it's too late for that now.   I'll just make the best of it.  thanks to all your kind comments and to all who hit the like button   :)

hello Keith!   glad to see your still look'in in   :)

I know it didn't come out perfect Gerhard....a more perfect curvature would have been better.   what I was going for was more of a tri hull design,  as seen below.

post-612-0-06084200-1466949459.jpg      post-612-0-27390200-1466949479.jpg

post-612-0-07246000-1466949496.jpg

I thought it might be cool to try........later on,  I did find some plans that would have life easier......too late to put them to theory.   I've done some more sanding......and then with a little filler and resin.....should smooth her out.   this will be the first time I use resin on my hulls.......might be a trend setter for future models.

Hello Wayne.....you really need to get back on the radar my friend!   that is,  unless it's MY radar that's broken,  and you've been posting updates right along without my knowledge.  I miss your talent  ;)    I also want to thank you for posting on the admiral's facebook page........I forgot to tell everyone here that it was our 28th wedding anniversary yesterday {don't look on mine.....the only thing I use mine for is to post my boats and models VWV boring! VWV!  :D

we had a quite day........she read,  and I messed around on my computer and sanded.........a couple of real live wires,  we are!!  then it was off to eat at a fancy restaurant.....got fat and happy,  and went home.    well......thanks for the good word......glad to see your still following along  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thank you Jack  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Happy belated anniversary, Denis.  May you two have many, many more.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Very nice to see the evolution in your remarkable boat. To me it is a mysterie what your future plans with this boat are but your enthousiasme will help me to start builing again in the future. I wish you lots of fun with the build.

Cheers, Kees

G'day Denis

The hull looks great mate! The shape seams to be designed for shallow waters, am I correct to assume that? Havagoodone

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

hello all.........thank you for the Anniversary wishes!   it was a fun day for us both......even if it was a simple quiet day.   I will divulge a bit of fact surrounding our big day.   in spite of my reputation for getting crushed at holidays and gatherings........it was the admiral who was the culprit this time around {they must have held her under the spigot}.   we drove the hour or so it took to get to Hampton beach.......me sober as a judge.......and her talking incoherently, giggling,  babbling............it was a good thing though.   I would have had to carry her over the threshold at the hotel ;)    28 years and still very happy   :)

Anyway...........on with yet another bazaar update.........but first a little more history.   I did some more digging to see if there were any more pictures of this boat........I found one more.......

post-612-0-92971800-1467123699.jpg

I was also curious where these pictures were taken.......they were taken on the Vermillion River.......McGarvey's Landing,  and the article I got this info from,  is a place in Ohio {USA}.  Jeeze..........I was thinking Amsterdam, or someplace a bit more rustic,  but coming from the late 1800's to the early 1900's.......I guess the Great lakes states,  was a really swing'in place at the time  ;)   for over 100 years,  this was the preferred mode to get Christmas trees to water front markets.

I read that the Schooner was the common ship for the task.......they would break from their businesses of transporting supplies and cargo,  and undertake this task in the tradition of the Christmas spirit.   The Rouse Simmons was the most famous ship,  but the Schooner George L. Wrenn had been doing it a lot longer.  smaller vessels would participate in this endeavor as well.....an opportunity to supplement their incomes.   the practice has gone by the wayside to some degree,  trees being trucked in by land......but the Coast guard took over that tradition....probably in an effort to preserve it,  and serve the people they protect.

post-612-0-81377900-1467125529.jpg   post-612-0-48290500-1467126263.jpg

there are quite a few images of the Rouse Simmons............17 men were lost that day.   while looking at them,  I spied this one photo........total disbelief!

post-612-0-58189200-1467126466.jpg

I later saw how this optical illusion was done.........reminds me of Christmas Vacation  :D  :D

post-612-0-29165200-1467126530.jpg

I never did find out the name of this boat I'm building from.....perhaps one day I will dig deeper  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

now........I can get to the update.    I probably should have taken care of the shoe malfunction........but I got carried away with the cabin fabrication.   one of the pictures looked like the boat had a end board on each side of the windshield........I put a pair on.   then I got this last picture of it,  and it looks like it doesn't.   no matter.......I'm leaving it.........it will serve well in casing in the windshield and aide me in forming the cabin.   there is no real fore deck to this boat......the bow section is encased as one large cabin.  framing the cabin,  I utilized the two slots that were left over after I had cemented on the side boards.

post-612-0-22526200-1467128196.jpg

post-612-0-74513800-1467128233.jpg

I'm going to add another pair of scrolled side boards,  boxing in the helm.   a plate will also be made to cover the bulkhead,  getting rid of that ugly center line and for what I have in mind for it ;)   >icky may<

after finishing the frame work for the cabin.......using 1/8 square stock to do it......I got the side cabin panels for the Lobster boat.   the curved line that would run along the hull was traced out.......this should give me a good lip for along the bow.

post-612-0-58400100-1467128730.jpg

the bottom and top frame parts for the windshield is also on that template....I will get those as well.  they will be done in the 1/8 thick flat stock.........the actual windshield part will be done in something a little thinner.   I was out with Gibbs the other day...........while I was out there,  I found a large piece of the stuff that is used for tinted windows.  how it got there,  I don't know.........it looked really clean,  so I rolled it up and brought it home.   {if that don't show you how bad of a pack rat I am.......nothing will}.   unfortunately for me....this is a scratch build.........if I had followed the kit procedures,  it might have worked better.   the part did not fit too good.........so I split it into two pieces and fitted it together.    the split was knitted together with a small piece across the inside........then filled in with CA and sawdust.    I applied the CA and then sanded over it,  forcing it into the gap that is there.   it filled in pretty good......but I will do it a couple more times to be sure and to insure that it will be invisible.

post-612-0-29754200-1467129430.jpg

I saw this shot earlier........thought it was kind cool to have  ;)

post-612-0-05546000-1467129472.jpg

so now it off to do the other side....of course the same thing happened.   thinking it would be odd for both sides not to look the same,  I follow the same process to cover it.   if it's any consolation, looking at the pictures,  I see some dents and lines that I can't explain.....the boat has been up and down the river a few times.

post-612-0-98342000-1467129710.jpg

the transom is covered over........now it was time for the inner stern bulwark to get it's covering.   I can do a little molding,  or run some white glue along the corners.......but it covers over the "Frankenstein stern" once and for all.

post-612-0-85311800-1467129858.jpg

I bought the resin for the hull.........I was hoping that I could buy a small can.......not {the way I'm interpreting it} 9/10ths of a Quart.   I bought some extra hardener too........just in case.   once this hull is totally fleshed out,  I can start that process.  

more on this soon.........:)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks for the nostalgic history Denis and great pics.  Being an airplane guy I am totally befuddled by what you are doing, but it looks great.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

thanks Piet for the good word........I could be guessing here........but this boat kinda reminds me of the boat Tom sent me a while ago.   when I was working with him {when he owned Billing USA},  I had an idea to try and build a boat from all around the country {US}.  the Maine Lobster boat was a good representative for the New England states....that particular hull design could very well mimic many other boats.....fitting them out differently.   he in turn sent me a picture of a boat that is fairly common to the great lakes.   I mentioned this picture earlier...the Noree Jo.........I love the design.   if I ever do it,  I wonder how much of the interior I could flesh out.....post-612-0-86734400-1467203913.jpg

the large bow cabin of this boat that I'm making here would give the crew enough room to warm up during those cold nights fishing.   seems like a common fitting for great lakes boats.  I think it would tickle Tom's fancy,  if I ever did it  {he was planning to do it.....but he has since gone back to working,  and it quickly has taken up most of his time}.  I might have been happier doing a schooner..........but this little ditty,  for it's purpose,  will do just fine  ;)

thank you.....and thanks for all the likes  :)

I do have a small update........I finished roughing out the bow cabin.   in fitting the side cover for the starboard side,  it was a bit wider.......I was off with my cut.   I filled it in with a sliver of wood.......I have plenty to choose from by this time  :)

post-612-0-39520200-1467205644.jpg

I also began to cover the top.........I failed to mention that I'm using 1/32 flat stock to do this.   it doesn't take much to cut it and shaving the edges {trimming it},  is very easy.

post-612-0-78192400-1467205762.jpg

it took three sections to cover the top..........I used rubber bands to hold them in place as they were installed.   I was sitting at my desk,  playing a game {waiting for the cement to set}.......when I heard a snapping noise.  all I thought of was stressed wood giving way......wrong.........just a rubber band at the end of it's usefulness.  :D  :D   even the admiral heard it......whenever she hears something that I might have broken,,,,she goes....uh-oh.......    I put her mind at ease  ;)    soon, the top was covered.

post-612-0-90172900-1467206064.jpg

post-612-0-92221900-1467206079.jpg

later it was trimmed and sanded........I had to add a bit more glue to the bow tip,  to fill in gaps and secure it down.  

post-612-0-90503000-1467206386.jpg

post-612-0-55004100-1467206400.jpg

more sanding was done.........I used a finer sandpaper to eliminate the fine hairs that basswood produces when sanded with rougher grit paper.  sealed and resanded with fine paper will smooth it out....but I can wait till later to do that.

post-612-0-53675800-1467206579.jpg

more to come  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Dennis

Takin`shape, looks well at this stage......

Regards

Gerhard

Problems just mean: solutions not yet found

Models in progress

SMS DANZIG

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12842-sms-danzig-1851-by-gerhardvienna-radio-150-scale/

USS CAIRO

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13282-uss-cairo-by-gerhardvienna-live-steam-radio/

Baby Bootlegger 1/10

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13625-baby-bootlegger-110-radio-by-gerhardvienna/

Swiss paddlesteamer RIGI 1848 1:50, after plans from the Verkehrshaus Zürich, rescaled to original length

Anchor tugboat BISON, 1:50, plans from VTH, scratch

Finished models

See-Ewer ELBE, Constructo kit 1:48

German fastboat after plans from german Reichskriegsmarine measure unknown (too ugly to show up!)

German traffic boat for battleships WW2, 1:50, after plans from Jürgen Eichardt, scratch

German Schnellboot TIGER P6141 VTH plans, scratch