HMS Victory by gil middleton - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1:72

Hi Gil

I love your work on the Victory, may I ask you a question 

how are guns on the bottom two decks installed they can't be on carriages are they fake guns, I know the first two decks the guns are on 

carriages I'm lost as how the guns are installed on bottom decks 

Ronald

Hi Gil

I love your work on the Victory, may I ask you a question 

how are guns on the bottom two decks installed they can't be on carriages are they fake guns, I know the first two decks the guns are on 

carriages I'm lost as how the guns are installed on bottom decks 

Ronald

Good morning, the middle and lower gunports are dummies, fitted into the bulkhead bracing strip that runs the full length of the build, the cannon barrels have lugs that fit into holes that are drilled into this

here is a link show, - hope you dont mind Gil -if so i will remove

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/485-hms-victory-by-gil-middleton-jotika-172/

or a different photo from my build

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/403-hms-victory-by-kevin-caldercraftjotika-172/

Edited by Kevin

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Thanks guys for your kind comments.  And Ronald, Kevin explained it well.  Too easy you say?  Well, there are thirty fully rigged cannons and carriages on the upper gun deck of which only six will ever be seen by human eyes (unless examined by a fiberglass scope, which is highly unlikely in our home). But I'll know they are there.  Oh, the fun of modeling.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/485-hmsHMS Victory by Gil Middleton - JoTika - 1:72

Gil, i have struggled with the appearance of my build for a couple of months now - not quite knowing,why - wondering  if i was looking for excuses to avoid getting on with her.

Today having read your log again - i now know what is wrong - ever since the gun port lanyards were put on i have been itching to rip them off and try again, even though the replacements were going to be made the same -  all of a sudden it dawned what was wrong, they are to bright, tonight i toned two pairs down just to see what difference it made, and was pleasantly surprised how quickly they no longer shouted - HEY LOOK AT ME,

Thankyou

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Hi Kevin,  It's interesting how our levels of observation run parallel.  I hadn't been too concerned about the gun port lanyards but the rope coils really got my attention.  After your comments, the lanyards seemed much more prominent., and like you I toned them down to where they fit with the rest of the rigging.  Your observations were probably more sensitive than mine.  Thanks for the comments.  Your Victory looks terrific by the way.  Cheers, Gil

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/485-hmsHMS Victory by Gil Middleton - JoTika - 1:72

Adding netting to the mast tops.  I had delayed this step until the rigging was near completion, knowing that I'd snag it or find some way to destroy it.  The same black tulle used for the hammock netting was used for the tops.

Tulle netting measured and glued (C/A) outside the area to be fitted on the mast.  Two cuts marked on the bottom to fit over blocks.

post-68-0-07188700-1393280350_thumb.jpg

Lacing the netting to the hand rail on the foretop (Similar to the hand rail on the quarterdeck).

post-68-0-54399400-1393280490_thumb.jpg

Netting laced on hand rail, lashed to outer stantions and glued (Fast C/A) to the aft end of the foretop.

post-68-0-88364900-1393280685_thumb.jpg

Netting on the maintop

post-68-0-61859400-1393280749_thumb.jpg

Note the netting is visible on the aft end of the foretop, with a similar appearance on the maintop.

post-68-0-14798900-1393280860_thumb.jpgpost-68-0-26150600-1393280882_thumb.jpg

A thin veneer, 3 mm. wide was glued over the exposed netting on the foretop and main top

post-68-0-52978100-1393281080_thumb.jpgpost-68-0-63088800-1393281105_thumb.jpg

The mizzen top before and after adding the veneer.

post-68-0-77863500-1393281199_thumb.jpgpost-68-0-72498500-1393281218_thumb.jpg

Next step:  Adding the yard braces.  Cheers, Gil

Way to go, Gil.  Look terrific.  Can't wait to use the toule again...Glad i saved my leftovers from the hammock cranes...Take care

Jerry

Sorry Gil 

but I'm not the one who said it was to easy, All I was asking was how the lower guns was installed I didn't know they were dummy cannons and that rhere weren't carriages holding  those guns 

Ronald 

Edited by ronald305

Hi Gil!

I have just quickly gone through your build and I have to say, like everyone else here, your skill is just amazing! bowdown.gif

But over and above this, you have taken your time to photo and explain in detail the steps as well bowdown.gif..

You have no idea how valuable this information is... especially to a NOOB like me.. :) 

I thank you for this thread! I will read it in detail and hope to learn from it..

Cheers

Bala 

Many thanks Jerry and Joe.

Ronald, I had forgotten where I got the small clips, but found them in the recent Model Expo Catalog.  Item # MT1014.  12 for $8.00.  I seem to use them for everything.

Bala,  We've all learned so much from our peers on this site.  It's nice to be able to contribute.

Scott,  Good question.  I can't give a learned answer, but did see netting in the tops on my photos of the Victory and in McGowan's "HMS Victory, Her Construction, Career and Restoration,"  drawings by John McKay, p. 170.  It made sense, to keep the Royal Marines from falling from the fighting tops.  Besides, they look good.

Cheers, Gil

Edited by gil middleton

Gil,

Yes I do think they look good and I can see why they would be on the rebuild.  I'm a safety engineer by trade so I understand having them on today's rebuilt ships.  I ask the question because I cannot imagine that the British navy would be so far forward thinking as to protect their marines that way.  Not to slam the British navy, I just ask considering the era that these ships sailed.  I question what their real concern was with people's safety back then.  That's all.  I wouldn't remove them based on my quetion.  I like the look.

Just caught up - amazing as always :-)

XXXDAn

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html

FOREMAST YARD BRACES; in separate posts.

post-68-0-75558800-1393886251_thumb.jpg

Fore coarse yard brace. Begins from the main stay collar, to the yard pulley, returns to a block on the main stay collar and then down to the fore brace bitts.

post-68-0-51534900-1393887218_thumb.jpgpost-68-0-41777300-1393887240_thumb.jpg

Fore coarse yard brace block

post-68-0-18477700-1393887353_thumb.jpg

Fore topsail yard brace, runs from the main stay collar, through a block from a pendant off the yard, returns to the block on the mainstay collar, then down the main stay and through a block to a block on the first skid beam, belaying to pins on the second skid beam.  (As mentioned earlier, different sources show the presence or absence of pendants for the brace blocks).

post-68-0-44491500-1393887986_thumb.jpgpost-68-0-43788000-1393888012_thumb.jpgpost-68-0-26304100-1393888130_thumb.jpgpost-68-0-85858300-1393888172_thumb.jpgpost-68-0-47612500-1393888191_thumb.jpg

Continuing with the Foremast Yard Braces.

The Fore topgallant yard brace originates at the main topmast stay collar, runs through the block on a pendant from the yard, returns to the block on the topmast stay collar, then through  a block at the aft of the foretop and belays to a cleat at the belfry.

post-68-0-99799700-1393888794_thumb.jpgpost-68-0-87441900-1393888821_thumb.jpg

The brace runs from the block on the collar to a block on the aft of the foretop and then to the belfry.

post-68-0-64688600-1393889013_thumb.jpgpost-68-0-64689800-1393889026_thumb.jpg

Next on to the mainmast yard braces, with great care to avoid dismasting the ship.

Cheers, Gil

Truly first rate handiwork on those braces. 

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

wow - Gill 

This is certainly creating some surprises, i never realized that rigging would be attached to the befry, i better make sure mine is well and truly secure, - i have another 150 Gunport lanyards to make, im much happier they way that they are turning out now, 

At a guess how many hours work do you think is required to finish this build now?

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

hey Gil 

I forgot to ask you just wondering, would you happen to know  the length of the longest yard on the main mast, it would be the widest one looking at it from the bow or stern I know the length and width of the model when completed but not the yards  thank you 

Ronald