HMS Victory by gil middleton - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1:72

We've just returned to Seattle after a few months.

It has been six months since the kind posts of Daniel (Sailor1234567890), Scott Larkin and Jason (Beef Wellington) to this site.  While taking the "Victory" out of mothballs, I've replied by PM.

Peter, many thanks for your remarks.  I'll look for photos on rope coils, or make them, however it may take a bit of time to get organized.

And Jack, thanks for your kind comments, however you are far more experienced than I in model ship building.

There is still work to be done in preparing our real boat for the winter, but I look forward to bringing the Victory back to life.

Cheers, Gil

post-68-0-53124500-1411620532_thumb.jpg The "Victory" mothballed.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/485-hmsHMS Victory by Gil Middleton - JoTika - 1:72

From me also a welcome home Gil.

I hope ( and I know ) that you had a wonderful time.

So vacation is over, wipe of the dust and then back to the bench please !!!!!

We want to have some updates !

Sjors

Got worried, nice to know you back :-)

XXXDAn

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html

Hi Gil

I remember lurking on your log on MSW 1 (I may have commented then but I can't remember). I never tracked it down on NRG-MSW 2 until now and have just been through it all, beginning to end. A complete pleasure.

Just wanted to say that your work is at the very pinnacle of our craft and it is an absolute joy to look at.

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Hello Gil..

Hope your cruise was enjoyable and that everyone is feeling well.  I look forward to your future post, especially the photos of the coils as I am working in that area now.  Welcome back to our wonderful web site.

Jerry

GIL gil  gil gil gIL  YOU ARE BACK 

WELCOME HOME

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

And Jack, thanks for your kind comments, however you are far more experienced than I in model ship building.

:D :D  Gil, if by that you mean number of completed kits!?!  Yes, I have a lot of practice making a lot of mistakes. None of my finished models holds a candle to your in-progress Victory.  Planking and rigging are my weak points and I have been paying close attention to your methodology as I hope it will help me improve my own.  Your skills are impressive. Thanks for the compliment tho. Hope you enjoyed your cruise.

:cheers:

Jack

Thank you all for such a warm welcome home.  It's nice to know that our family of model ship builders is alive and well.  I look forward to learning from each of you and throwing in a few thoughts along the way.  Cheers, Gil

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/485-hmsHMS Victory by Gil Middleton - JoTika - 1:72

Welcome home Gil!  Looking forward to updates on your fantastic build.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Finally returning to model ships, with baby steps.  Most of the time devoted to the real ship preparing for winter. Someone mentioned earlier that I'd missed the studdingsail boom.  It was intentional, until the running rigging was completed.  The main studdingsail boom follows, while the foremast stun's'le boom may or may not be added depending on securing the anchors.

post-68-0-90405800-1412742016_thumb.jpg  Preparing the boom and hardware. Adding "Bolts" for the channel.

post-68-0-68635400-1412742117_thumb.jpg

post-68-0-40167300-1412742178_thumb.jpg Booms tapered to approximately 3/4 the inner diameter.post-68-0-91653700-1412742299_thumb.jpg  Port Studdingsail boom.  Inner swivel and small tackle per McKay's drawings.post-68-0-95923900-1412742511_thumb.jpg

post-68-0-94380000-1412742360_thumb.jpg

Continuing with studdingsail boom.

post-68-0-75379100-1412743001_thumb.jpg Channel support with appearance of bolts through the channel.

post-68-0-38576200-1412743074_thumb.jpg  Small block to receive line from studding sail.

post-68-0-66666800-1412743165_thumb.jpg  Starboard fitting with control tackle

Upcoming projects, Anchors and small boats.  After viewing Daniel's (Dafi) precise anchor treatise and Grant's beautiful small boat construction, my task seems easier.  Cheers, Gil

lovely to see you back posting

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

So your back Gil and you are starting with difficult things ????( for me )

What is the purpose for that studdingsail boom ?

Never seen it and never hear from it.....

Sjors

sorry Gil I will remove if you are not happy me answering your question

Sjors , for rigging the light wind sails (stuns) or studding ,

These boons swing away from the hull to allow the deployment of the cloths on the spars on the end of the main and foremast spars (Page 49 in my log)

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Thanks Kevin,  For those not familiar with Studding Sails (Stuns'ls), the following should clarify.

post-68-0-06483300-1412787818.jpg  Studding Sails

post-68-0-58211000-1412787885.gif Studding Sail Boom

post-68-0-76744800-1412787930_thumb.jpg  Ship with Studding Sails deployed.

Cheers, Gil

...or running with the wind.

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

I was recently asked about how to make rope coils.  Looking back to pages 26, 27 and 28, I discovered that the photos are no longer posted, but only the index number of the photos displayed. Somehow, the files have been corrupted, deleting the photos. They used to be there, now they are not.  Has anyone else had this problem? And what is the cause?

Before further discussion on rope coils, it appears I need to go back and edit a number of posts to reinsert photos. In fact I probably need to review every post to see how extensive the problem is.  Cheers, (I think). Gil

Gil,

There was a system burp back in March.  See here for additional info:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/6021-server-maintenance-scheduled/

The root cause has been found and corrected and the site is now getting a different type of backup so this doesn't happen again.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

After Mark explained what happened while I was gone, I read the postings of others with the same problem.  Looking back through my log, I believe all the photos have been replaced.  Cheers, Gil

I went through the same loss of images problem as well. If any of the photos were posted by a commentator, not yourself, then they must re-post. I still have images missing because the originator of the images never re-posted. BTY, on page 28, comment 417, two images are still missing.

I really have learned an awful lot from your blog and always look forward towards your next installment!.

Jon

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Frigate Constitution

Past Builds:    Bob Hunt's kitbash of the Mamoli Rattlesnake

Model Shipways Typical Ship’s Boat for the Rattlesnake

Mini-Mamoli solid hull British Schooner Evergreen
                         Model Airways Albatros D.Va - 1917, The Red Baron's Forgotten Fighter

​Member: Nautical Research Guild

BOW SPRIT

I've been asked about building the bowsprit, and on reviewing the photos (page 3 of this log), it is somewhat confusing. Though most of the photos were reentered after the crash of 2013, most comments were not. To explain, I'll duplicate some photos and add a drawing or two.  Of course, this is simply one way to do it.

Tapering the bow sprit with a "poor man's lathe" ( Hand drill in a cradle).

post-68-0-77752500-1413327024_thumb.jpg

Bow sprit fitted at fore deck

post-68-0-61270500-1413327119_thumb.jpg

Making gammoning "saddles."  Using another dowel of the same size, cut half way through.

post-68-0-23754300-1413327402_thumb.jpg

One half thickness of the dowel removed.

post-68-0-70621900-1413327472_thumb.jpg

Grinding out the center of the dowel.

post-68-0-21222000-1413327549_thumb.jpg

Cutting saddles on a bias.

post-68-0-11368500-1413327615_thumb.jpg

Gluing saddles in place,  Tenon fashioned at the forward end to fit square hole in the cap.

post-68-0-30684600-1413327762_thumb.jpg

Saddles in place, "Iron rings" added and tenon at the right side.

post-68-0-27094700-1413327851_thumb.jpg

Drawings to follow.