HMS Bellerophon 1786 by AON – scale 1:64 – 74-gun 3rd Rate Man of War - Arrogant-Class

Although leave the bevels full to allow for miniscule misalignment when assembling. The last thing you want to discover at the end of all that framing is that things won't quite fair out. Have fun!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Nice work and some good progress Alan

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

I wish you a lot of fun with frameing your model. And let the pictures come

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Sunday 16 Oct 2016

Some minor progress.  This is much harder than it seems.  I hope to be better at framing soon.

post-9868-0-55388200-1476655468.jpg

post-9868-0-18798800-1476655475.jpg

post-9868-0-82043500-1476655480.jpg

post-9868-0-86083000-1476655486.jpg

post-9868-0-35007100-1476655495.jpg

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

Looking good, Alan.  Yeah, it's harder than it looks but the satisfaction when things start coming together makes it worthwhile.  Right?   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Did anyone say this was easy stuff? It's a big commitment and a big learning curve. But you are obviously on your way. Those are rather large nuts/weights you are using! Or is your model smaller than I'm visualizing?

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Thank you Mark and Druxey.

Re: the nuts.... the are very manly.  :rolleyes:

Edited by AON

Alan O'Neill

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Did anyone say this was easy stuff? It's a big commitment and a big learning curve...

Yeah, if it was easy then everybody would be doing it.   :D  :D  :D  :D

Tom

Hi Alan, I somehow missed your progress here, just amazing what you've accomplished from start to finish.  I appreciate you sharing your learning curve and your beautiful ship with us.  I wan to go back again and read from the start ;)

Edited by Beef Wellington

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Thank you Jason.

I would have responded earlier but I threw my back out Friday morning and this is the first I could sit at the computer.

It is aching a bit so I going to be gone a bit yet.

Alan O'Neill

I don't like that your back went out, Alan.  I like that you have healed enough to respond.   I'm just watching quietly and enjoying your build.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Know the feeling Alan; give it a good rest we can wait.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

• 3 weeks later...

Saturday 12 Nov 2016

Been away from it too long but feeling up to it again.

Today I fitted the chocks between the frames.  Presently the glue is drying and setting.

post-9868-0-28117200-1478998335.jpg

Tomorrow I will drill and install the bolts and start on the next set of frames.

I chose to install the top most chock first to set the space properly.

Subsequent (lower) installations were a bit of a challenge as the more I installed the less I could pry the frame open to receive the chock.

Each was sanded down to fit snugly.  I filed vertical grooves (pockets) into the chocks to hold the glue because most would be scraped away as the chock was slid into place.

post-9868-0-60441400-1478998342.jpg

The lowest ones were the worst as they were very thin.  I wanted to installed one more lower as they should be in groups of three between joints but it was a bit too thin for me.  I might try tomorrow when I'm fresh.

Presently the whole table is covered to keep the dust off over night. I do this after every session.

post-9868-0-24611000-1478998350_thumb.jpg

Alan O'Neill

All: Thank you for he likes.  It is very encouraging.  I was telling my darling wife about the missing last chock and even she asked: "will anyone see it?".... I could only respond that I see it now.

Carl:  so do I!  It is because they are cant frames.  Once I get out of this area (and those at the bow) I should be "smoother sailing".

Edited by AON

Alan O'Neill

Sunday 13 Nov 2016

I managed to sand and install the last two chocks.  My first attempt at sanding ended in the part disappearing under the stop (because it was so thin at 0.02" or 0.46mm) and being sucked up by the vacuum.  The chocks are hemlock and measure 10" in height (approx 5/32").  They are 9" on the plan but at this build scale who can tell the difference.

post-9868-0-20367900-1479073466.jpg

Drilled and installed the bolts into the frame and through the chocks then trimmed flush.

post-9868-0-95015500-1479073491.jpg  post-9868-0-44595500-1479073523.jpg

Cut and milled a blank of Costello 0.079" thick for the next frame set.  Cut that length in half and rubber glued them together, clamped and ready to trace the template and cut the frame pieces in matching pairs.

post-9868-0-00957300-1479073542_thumb.jpg

Edited by AON

Alan O'Neill

• 2 months later...

Saturday 28 JAN 2017

It has been I while since I posted any progress... it goes rather slowly.

I've been putting more hours into a paper for work than into my model... plus I am getting injections in my left eye to correct a condition with my vision.  It has affected modelling and  my day job.  I spend hours reading engineering drawings and documents.

I have branch retinal vein occlussion caused by macular edema.

I have a fluid build up (bump) at the back of my eye very near the focal point that causes lines and print to pull together.

I occasionally still see a fine black dot due to my last (first) injection.  Two more to go and hopefully the fluid pocket is gone and things reshape back to near normal or better yet.. normal.

Modelling isn't a race but it does keep calling me downstairs.

post-9868-0-73715500-1485640253_thumb.jpg

Edited by AON

Alan O'Neill

Hopefully your vision will stabilize in a good way, Alan. Those aft cants look nice so far to my eye!

Edited by druxey

Thank you Druxey and Albert for the kind words and everyone else for following along.

Edited by AON

Alan O'Neill

It will hopefully be a permanent correction but one never knows for certain.

Edited by AON

Alan O'Neill