Oseberg Viking Ship by Jack P - FINISHED - Billing Boats - 1/25 Scale - 9th Century - (Modified)

Great work Jack!

Re the photography tips, I think if you just creat a new topic under "tips and tricks", the Mods will move it if they think appropriate. Perhaps if you put a note in the first sentence inviting the Mods to do so, it will grab their attention. It would be shame not to share your wealth of knowledge on this subject more widely.

Very nice model :) The rivets look perfect. The colour is also outstanding. Are you going to modify the shields attached to the kit?

Regards,

Paweł

Paweł

Current build: HMS Pandora: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/3409-hms-pandora-by-jastrz%C4%85b-constructo-185/

Finished projects:

Roar Ege 1:25, Billing Boats

Albatros 1:55, Constructo

Santa Maria 1:50, Mantua

Just discovered your log and will join in for the journey.  The Oseberg is one I saw when I first started looking at kits and thinking, "that might be fun".  It looks like you're well on your way to producing a model to be proud of.  The decking must've taken a lot of patience, and a few mighty oaths, to complete.

Ulli

"As long as there's an ocean and a strong steady wind
I can sail forever and no land can lock me in" -  Andrew Durant

Current Project:

Model Shipways Phantom (First Build)

Future Projects:

Billing Boats Bluenose II

Great looking model and nice photography.  Makes me want to chuck my SX120 for a Rebel.  But calmer heads always come into play.  Your talent in both are a major plus.

David B

H

Up and down as with everything in life. :)

My one action so far is one drilled hole for the rudder, and i did it wrong, so it took over a hour to correct it. I suck at this.

Nails for the shield? Amati 4134/57, they had a diameter of 0.8 mm and therefore had horribly large heads, totally unusable. I didn´t know that you could blacken brass, so maybe i will try this nail thing again. How exactly did you do the blackening? I have found four billion different ways on the Internet, rather confusing... You did good by the way.

The spacing between the nails you name on the original ship to be 20 cm, were did you find this information? I have a vague memory about it being 40 cm, but i am probably wrong.

The head size of your nails, they are usually not printed, do you know it? 1mm or something like that?

Lots of questions, i hope i am not pestering you too much.

Hi Von_Kossa,

Sorry about the oops!  I have had my share of mistakes and re-dos, I just fix it and forget it as soon as possible.

I was not planning to use nails on the shields.  I really like the look of your shields (post #23 and 25 of your log).  What did you use for the center ornament?

The nail head diameter for the plank nails is 1.62 mm.  They could be a little smaller but they really look good the way they are.

To blacken brass I use a product called Blacken It from Micro Mark.  It is similar to the acid mix used to blacken guns.  Take a look at this link http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/1167-using-blacken-it/.

I got the spacing of the plank nails from two places.  I have used two books and numerous internet locations to research the Oseberg.  The books are:

post-9182-0-29336100-1408396207_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-83457800-1408396245_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-62457800-1408396297_thumb.jpg

I got 18 cm from the second book here and I got 8 inches (about 20 cm) from a web site.  I was unable to find it again.  I did a test to see if the 20 cm or if 40 cm looked better at this scale and the results are below.

post-9182-0-31290900-1408396457_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-75909600-1408396508_thumb.jpg

post-9182-0-25076100-1408396353_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-47070000-1408396425_thumb.jpg

Everyone who looked at the test agreed that the closer spacing looked best.  I did increase the spacing from 8 mm to 10 mm just to compromise a little and save a few holes.  The references in both the book and the website were not Oseberg specific but general to shipbuilding of the time and place.  You may be right about the Oseberg.

Please let me know if I can help.

Jack

"I Love the smell of sawdust in the morning" apologies to John Melius

Current Build:      Bomb Vessel Granado, 1742 - Cross Section Scratch Build 

Previous Builds:  Oseberg Billing Boats 9th Century Viking Ship Modified

Bluenose ll, AL, Lightly Bashed

Louisa Morrison Half Hull, Scratch Build

Photography Website:     http://www.27birds.com

Great work Jack!

Re the photography tips, I think if you just creat a new topic under "tips and tricks", the Mods will move it if they think appropriate. Perhaps if you put a note in the first sentence inviting the Mods to do so, it will grab their attention. It would be shame not to share your wealth of knowledge on this subject more widely.

Hi Grant,  thanks again.  I will gather my thoughts on depth of field and try them out on you first and then combine them with the first PM  and open a thread in "Tips and Tricks".  

Hello Pawel, Thanks for dropping by and for the kind words.  I hate the shields included in the kit.  Please check post 142 on page ten of this log to see what I have done.  I am still looking for an appropriate center ornament and trying to decide what to do with the edges of the shield.

Hi Ulli,  Great to have you aboard.  This is a fun project but you are so right about both the patience and the oaths.  I cut and fitted the planks and laid them into place.  Every time I touched the ship the planks would jump into the next space or further, sometimes the floor.  I could not glue them in place because I had just decided to do the nails and I wanted to keep access to the inside of the hull until that was finished.  So I bagged them up for a while until this weekend and now they are permanently in place, at least I hope so.

Hey David B, thanks for the encouragement.  The shots on the black background are shot with a Canon 5D Mark lll but the workbench shots are with a Canon PowerShot S110.  It takes beautiful images and gives the photographer a great deal of control.  I started this log with the big camera and it was really difficult to handle with all the clutter of the workbench.  Also, the sanding dust was not good for it.  The PowerShot is small and sits on the edge of the bench ready when needed.  It is closed tight when the power is off and wakes up in a few seconds when it is time for action.

Jack

Hi!

H

Hi Von_Kossa,

Sorry about the oops!  I have had my share of mistakes and re-dos, I just fix it and forget it as soon as possible.

In my case it is not soon enough, i have a tendency to get stuck.

I was not planning to use nails on the shields.  I really like the look of your shields (post #23 and 25 of your log).  What did you use for the center ornament?

Viking shields had a very distinct look. As you are probably aware by now. A typical shield buckle looked like this:
post-1001-0-53281700-1408431960_thumb.jpg

So i ordered this and this, i took the photos this morning with my mobile before going to work, looks like sh*t but it works.
post-1001-0-79352800-1408432110_thumb.jpg
post-1001-0-77394200-1408432118_thumb.jpg

As you can see i first bought a furniture nail with a diameter of 6,5 mm, bought here in Sweden in Bauhaus.
But the ring around it was still missing. So after some serious digging i finally found my ring in a german hobby webstore.
It was very difficult to find a shim that would fit and have the correct scale.
But finally i found Manufacturer: Serpent, Article number: 411224, Rear Axle Shim, 6,5x,8,0,25.

And the result looked like this:
post-1001-0-49174300-1408434205_thumb.jpg

The nail head diameter for the plank nails is 1.62 mm.  They could be a little smaller but they really look good the way they are.

Thanks.

To blacken brass I use a product called Blacken It from Micro Mark.  It is similar to the acid mix used to blacken guns.  Take a look at this link http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/1167-using-blacken-it/.

Thanks again. :)

I got the spacing of the plank nails from two places.  I have used two books and numerous internet locations to research the Oseberg.  The books are:

attachicon.gifOseberg -04-19-2014 124.jpgattachicon.gifOseberg -08-18-2014 320.jpgattachicon.gifOseberg -08-18-2014 321.jpg

I got 18 cm from the second book here and I got 8 inches (about 20 cm) from a web site.  I was unable to find it again.  I did a test to see if the 20 cm or if 40 cm looked better at this scale and the results are below.

attachicon.gifOseberg -07-16-2014 312.jpgattachicon.gifOseberg -07-16-2014 313.jpg

attachicon.gifOseberg -07-16-2014 310.jpgattachicon.gifOseberg -07-16-2014 311.jpg

Everyone who looked at the test agreed that the closer spacing looked best.  I did increase the spacing from 8 mm to 10 mm just to compromise a little and save a few holes.  The references in both the book and the website were not Oseberg specific but general to shipbuilding of the time and place.  You may be right about the Oseberg.

Please let me know if I can help.

I will have to look into this...

Jack! 

Oh no!  Please tell me I didn't jinx you!  But all looks well!  I love the stained oak color!  I need to experiment with stains to get a similar color for the floor planks on my build. 

In regards to nails for the shield ornamentation, after seeing Von Kossa's photo, I would like to suggest "Nifty Notions appliqué pins".  They're made from nickel plated steel, the head measures 1.20mm with a slightly domed shape and the shaft is 0.50mm.  The 1/2" long pins are hard to find, but the 3/4" long pins are available.  You can find these at specialty quilting stores and I've seen on ebay, a box of 200 pins cost ~$8.  

Your drilling 30 holes and then adding 720 nails, gave me the courage to cut off a section of my planked keel and replace it with a stern stem! 

Dee Dee

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

- Dragon - Corel - One design International Class Yacht

- Sloup Coquillier / Shell Fish Sloop - Corel - Based on 'Bergere de Domremy / Shepherdess from Domremy

- Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack - Scratch build based on drawings from Chapelle's book "American Small Sailing Craft" 

On the Shelf

- Gretel-Mamoli     - Emma C. Berry-MS    - Chesapeake Bay Pilot Boat, Semi-scratch 

Find yourself hoping you never reach your destination

Major update. Loved, really loved the stain - got that aged look, but not too much, as a seasoned ship :im Not Worthy: . You´ve made a great job so far. I fell in love with this ship, by the way :blush:

Hello Von_Kossa,

Thanks for the help with the shields.  I saw on your log that you will space the nails at 10 mm.  You will be happy with it.  It really looks great.

Hi Dee Dee, 

Absolutely not your fault.  I am the old guy with the out of date rubber bands.  Thanks for the tip on the pins.  Also, thanks for the kind words and encouragement.

Good Evening Vivian,

Thanks for the help picking the stain earlier and all the encouragement.  I agree the lines of this ship are really special.  

Thank you to all the "likes" out there it is comforting to know that you are watching.

Jack

The boat looks great and agree, I love the color of the stain. The nails look neat as well.

Marc

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Hi!

Did you use water based or oil based stain?

After the staining process, should you protect it with enamel paint?

And finally, what stain did you decide for in the end?

I am running out of things to hide behind, soon i must stain the ship. Scary. :(

It is oil based stain and I finished with a coat of Minwax Wipe On Poly. The stain I used is General Finishes "Spiced Walnut".

I did have a difficult time getting it to stain evenly. I ended up thinning the stain 50/50 with mineral spirits.

post-9182-0-72079000-1409029051_thumb.jpg

Jack

The boat looks great and agree, I love the color of the stain. The nails look neat as well.Marc

Thanks Marc, I stained the deck twice. It was blotchy the first time so I sanded it back to raw wood and did it again. It came out much better the second time. More pictures soon.

Jack

u have doing vary well geat work u have done so far keep it going

It is oil based stain and I finished with a coat of Minwax Wipe On Poly. The stain I used is General Finishes "Spiced Walnut".

I did have a difficult time getting it to stain evenly. I ended up thinning the stain 50/50 with mineral spirits.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Thank you. I have not even decided if i want the ship light or dark yet.

This, Wipe on Poly, what is it? Some sort of plastic cover?

Edited by Von_Kossa

Hello dragzz,

Thanks for dropping by and the kind words of encouragement.

Jack

Thank you. I have not even decided if i want the ship light or dark yet.

This, Wipe on Poly, what is it? Some sort of plastic cover?

post-9182-0-19051800-1409066540_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-09683700-1409067072_thumb.jpg

It is polyurethane clear finish.  You can wipe it on like stain.  I used the satin finish because I do not think shine is appropriate for this model.  When it is finished I will decide if a coat of Testors Dullcote is needed.

Jack

I have been working on the shields.  Finding the right center ornament has been very time consuming.  I settled on cone head Hungarian hob nails.  The shield on the left is supplied in the kit.  The hob nails are next in the image below.  I cut the head off and ground it close to flat.  The construction of the new shields is documented earlier in the log.  To finish them off all that was done is to ease the edges, glue the nail head onto the center and odd a coat of wipe on poly without stain.  I did tests and the poly alone worked best on the mahogany.  The hob nails were right size and crudeness for a ninth century shield.

post-9182-0-99938900-1409585910_thumb.jpg

I finished 8 of them and here is how they will look on the ship.

post-9182-0-36016100-1409585934_thumb.jpg

Jack

The preocupation with something as the central ornament of a shield pays off when your build is finished and details speak of accuracy for you. Great work!

Hi Vivian,

The shields really made a difference.  And the time spent looking for the center ornament really paid off.  The oars are next but after that will come the dreaded sail.  My daughter has promised to teach me to sew but I am not holding my breath until she does.  As always thanks for the encouragement and kind words.

Jack

The ship has come to a nice milestone so I decided to take some studio shots for this update.

post-9182-0-45884000-1409679435_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-60054200-1409679456_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-61438400-1409679481_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-95951800-1409679531_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-57824200-1409679634_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-68192400-1409679507_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-39318200-1409679559_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-13767000-1409679602_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-57512900-1409679657_thumb.jpg

This is what the set looks like.  I pulled out the big Spiderlite soft boxes for the shoot.

post-9182-0-19851200-1409679685_thumb.jpg

Jack

She looks beautiful, Jack, thanks for sharing.

BTW, I love your RRS ballhead and L-plate for your Canon as well ;) I couldn't recognize the tripod though!

Oh yes, that's a lot of cat food ...

Edited by KeithW

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Thanks Grant,  Brian, Bindi and KeithW for the kind words and noticing the photography.  I felt it was time for a portrait session.  

Hi Bindy,  Welcome Back!  We have missed you. 

KeithW you have great eyes.  The ball head and L plate are Really Right Stuff and the tripod is also.  The tripod is a little overkill for indoor short lens work, it's main use is for birds with a 10 pound long lens. It is a very stable platform.  

My 32 year old daughter moved back in and brought her 2 cats with her so the food lives under the photo set.  I guess thats what they mean by the "boomerang generation".  They leave for a while and come back again.  The admiral and I like having her around.

Thanks to all the "Likes" they are truly appreciated.

Jack

Very mice. I like the stand for photos. Good job. Wait for new thinks from you. Cristi

Current build : Sovereign of the Seas - Mantua 1:78 scale

Finished:        San John the Baptist - Cross section

Santisima Trinidad - Cross section                  Galery Santisima 

San John the Baptist ( San Juan Bautista)    Galery  San John

HMS Victory 1805 - Cross section - Corel 1:98 scale 

Panart (Mantua) 740 Battle Station          Battle Station Panart 740 Galerry

On Hold:        HMS Bounty 1:64   Mamoli MV39

Jack,

I've spent better part of an evening reading and studying your build log. Beautiful work. I get a since of it's antiquity from the finish and photo presentation. It looks like a museum piece, very inpressed ;)

Sincere Regards,

Bill

Passion is Patience...and I am a carpenter in any scale.

Current build;  Endurance - 1:70 scale, Occre

Current build;    H.M.S. Surprise - 1796, 1:48 A L

Hello Cristi and Bill,

Thank you for dropping by and for the kind words, they are much appreciated.  I enjoyed visiting both your logs.

Cristi I admire your ability to work more than one project at a time.  I could never manage it.

Bill, happy that you are back in the shipyard.

I have been working on oars lately and real life has slowed my progress a little.  Thanks again for looking in.

Also, thanks to all the "Likes" they really mean a lot.

Jack