US Brig Syren by Shazmira - Model Shipways - 1:64

Robbyn

Great to hear from you again. So sorry to hear about your mothers passing.

You're doing your own kitchen?!?! Oi! I used to do residential construction, cabinets in particular, thats a lot of work with a full time job too. Well worth it when you step back and say to yourself, "I did that!"

We will all be here waiting when you return.

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Good to hear from you as well Robbyn,

I feel for what you are going through, had My father pass away a while back and trying to finish my 85 year old house.  We gutted it as well.  Still need to do the kitchen since, well, its takes a small fortune to redo one.

Hope the smell of sawdust and fresh drywall keeps you longing to start back on the Syren.

Scott

Current Builds:  Revell 1:96 Thermopylae Restoration

Revell 1:96 Constitution COMPLETED

Aeropiccola HMS Endeavor IN ORDINARY

Planned Builds: Scientific Sea Witch

Marine Models USF Essex

I can sympathize with your troubles.  I still remember when my little sister passe away.  I also earned some extra coin doing grunt work on a renovation.  Doing drywall and making it look good is not for the faint of heart or back.

David B

• 9 months later...

Well after a long protracted absence, I am happy to report the new drydock has been completed and I can resume modeling. I must say I really have missed it. Planking of the Syren has resumed, ad I hope to have some progress to show next week. 

Here is the new drydock

post-127-0-59907100-1447781164_thumb.jpg

post-127-0-84040400-1447781180_thumb.jpg

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Glad to hear you're back, Robbyn.  Hope all is well.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Life is good Augie, still hectic, still living in a construction zone, but now I have an escape again, so things are looking up

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Thats a very nice shop...glad you are jumping back into the workshop.  Start making some sawdust!!!!   :P

I feel really out of the loop Chuck, it has been over a year since I touched anything regarding modeling, and I was not real active for 6 months before that while taking care of my mom before she passed. After I got the shop set up, I had to spend several days rereading the manual and my own build log, just to remember where I left off, and where I was going next. I get fleeting moments of recall of knowledge I had acquired, but now feel like I am a complete beginner again, I hope as I work it comes back to me.

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Lovely to see you back in your new shipyard Robbyn. And don't worry, it's like riding a bike - you'll pick it up again in no time.

Good to see you found your way back, Robbyn.   Welcome back home.    Lovely workshop.. I like all the windows.   You'll get back in the swing of things as it's sort of like riding a bicycle.  You might fall once or twice and scrape your knee but you'll get the hang and the rhythm again.  :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Robbyn,

I am jealous of the sunlight, I am confined to the basement.  I also noticed that you have two ships in your drydock?  Did you make the bold move of attempting two builds at once? :)

-Aaron

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” - Augustine

Current Build:

Artesania Latina San Francisco II 1:90 Scale

On the Shelf:

Model Shipways Armed Virginia Sloop 1:48 Scale

Wow, love all the natural light and the counter tops.  That should make a good therapy room for you Robbyn.  Glad to see you back, for in you build log you seem to ask the right questions that help a number of us less experienced.

And I know how it feels trying to get back to a build project you have been away from.  It took me days to find where I left off on my rigging plan on the Constitution.

Current Builds:  Revell 1:96 Thermopylae Restoration

Revell 1:96 Constitution COMPLETED

Aeropiccola HMS Endeavor IN ORDINARY

Planned Builds: Scientific Sea Witch

Marine Models USF Essex

Welcome back Robbyn!  Very nice shipyard!  Looking forward to an update.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

We usually count on Sjors for the popcorn.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Robbyn,

I am jealous of the sunlight, I am confined to the basement.  I also noticed that you have two ships in your drydock?  Did you make the bold move of attempting two builds at once? :)

-Aaron

Ah you noticed...yes I have an additional build going as well, but not revealing what it is at the moment. Taking my time on the other build, because I am going off script a bit with this one, and going to attempt something more creative than just a ship you look at from the outside. Looking at options of cutaways, and interior views in places. But main focus right now, is to get the planking on the Syren done, so I can move forward to the next step

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Sam, hand is as good as it is ever going to get, little feeling in the pinky, but the rest works fine.

Scott, I really do like the natural light in that room, makes the modeling better in the daylight, Planing to hang some florescent lights above the countertop, as the ceiling lights just don't provide enough light for the finer details, works ok for the planking phase, but will need more light soon. 

Greg, welcome to my build, I hope you enjoy.

Everyone else, thank you for the kind return messages, I have missed you all!

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Hi Robbyn! Great work space you've built. Some fluorescent drafting lamps that you can easily adjust the position of are great for this sort of work.

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

Buck, any recommendations on lamps?

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

good to see your back Robbyn!   yea.....it's hard to get back into the hobby at first.......it's like going through a door { whole different world}.  I should know.....I go there regularly ;)   once you get a routine going.........it will all come back.   your work area is really nice.......the place  {my} dreams are made of.....I'm really freak'in jealous over here  ;)   look forward towards seeing some flying sawdust!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Like you, I have a goodly amount of natural light coming into the shop.  But I also have both incandescent and flourescent lights up on the celilng so I can check things out under all 3 conditions or combinations.  It's not a really big deal as our ships are mainly to be displayed indoors but it does make a big difference with flying model aircraft.

Whatever you decide, put in more than you think you need.  You can always turn them off!  And try to have light coming in on both sides of the ship.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Buck, any recommendations on lamps?

Hi Robbyn, my favorite lamp is the one on the left in the 1st pic which has twin 18" flourescent tubes in it and the base mounts out of the way. The arm articulates and the head swivels so you can direct the light to really shine where you need it. This one is made by Amplex, but I think it is a common style. The one on the right has a round flourescent tube with a big magnifying lens in the center. It doesn't give off as much light and I find a lighted Optivisor to be better when you want magnification. Although pricey, a gooseneck OttLite like in the 2nd pic from Michael's or Hobby Lobby puts out nice light too. If you get one on sale with a coupon, it's not so bad. I'm a firm believer that you can't have too much light when you are trying to do detailed work. I'm glad you are back. I was beginning to wonder if the world's largest prairie dog down the road from you got you!

post-218-0-10702700-1448064225_thumb.jpg

post-218-0-90756600-1448064516_thumb.jpg

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

Thanks Buck, think I will look for the one on the left in your pictures, I have a nice gooseneck ott light, and I love it, but it is a floor model, and what I use next to my recliner for my needle work. If I need to, I can carry it into the shop, but I would rather not. Need to see if I can find a table top ott light, as I really do like the spectrum of light they put out

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

My Admiral has a few of those Ott lights for her weaving.  They're pretty good as well.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

• 2 weeks later...

Progress!!! Planking is complete. Not perfect, and still needs a bit of sanding, but real progress to report.

Now onto my first try at a water line. I made 4 attempts, but cant seem to get a straight line drawn at all. hard to draw a line on something that isn't straight itself, going to took back at some build logs and see if I can find a method that might work better for me.

post-127-0-41812400-1448767616_thumb.jpg

post-127-0-63938300-1448767637_thumb.jpg

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station