Mayflower by SawdustDave - Finished

Nice work Dave and I LOVE those close-ups!  It's almost like being on the ship.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Thanks for all the visits and "likes" mates. Hope I can wrap up the anchors for both ships tomorrow as I am anxious to see what kinda' mess I can make of the stern carvings. Haven't played with sculpy since the Confederacy, over three years ago.

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

nice work with the rigging Dave....both builds look really super!  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Some fine work Dave, & double the work! You don't see many people building 2 ships at the same time. Great work my friend!

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Anchors for both ships completed.

post-11777-0-53599100-1424458674_thumb.jpg

Note, the rings of the larger scale are seized, but I didn't add that little detail to the smaller one.

post-11777-0-59997800-1424458685.jpg

Also....Began painting the hull of the smaller ship this morning.  Looks like it will take at least three coats.

Sawdust Dave -

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Walnut really pops once you hit it with a thin coat of wipe-on poly.  The little Mayflower is going through quite a transformation today.

I'll wait 'til the new white paintjob is finished to show.

post-11777-0-58898800-1424472213_thumb.jpg

Sawdust Dave -

Anchors all done....and here's the larger scale.

post-11777-0-46279700-1424543301_thumb.jpg

Actually the rigging of all the anchors went pretty well.  Happy to find that big piece of rope in my boneyard.

On to the stern flowers, so I dug out the sculpy, which I haven't worked with in a long time.

Here goes nothing.....

post-11777-0-34971300-1424543492_thumb.jpg

Sawdust Dave -

I think this is a little more better.... larger scale makes a big difference every time.

post-11777-0-17325100-1424614661_thumb.jpg

Back to the admiral's oven.... She thinks I'm baking cookies.

Just wait 'til she tries to bite into one of these.

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Really surprised how quickly these little sculpie projects were completed. 

post-11777-0-30281500-1424622822_thumb.jpg

Just noticed, I still have to stick the little boomkin on.

post-11777-0-96593700-1424622840_thumb.jpg

Flags will finish them off.... then I've got to build a display base for the smaller one.

post-11777-0-30984100-1424622854_thumb.jpg

Note the difference in the white painting of the stern.  Although the smaller scale is more like the photo of the Mayflower II, I personally prefer the looks of the larger one. 

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Would be hard turning the small one loose.... But knowing it only takes $500 to send one kid to "Snowball Express" camp makes it easy. Sure hope it brings more than that at the auction.

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Little sister with her big brother

Very nice job, Dave

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Would be hard turning the small one loose.... But knowing it only takes $500 to send one kid to "Snowball Express" camp makes it easy. Sure hope it brings more than that at the auction.

Hi Dave

No matter what price she fetches, at least you can stand proud in the knowledge that all of the love and attention that you've put into the build has gone to a great cause.

Well done and you should be feeling pretty chuffed now, I'm sure.

All the best

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Thanks all for the visits, "likes", and kind words.

Patrick - I had to look up "chuffed".... a term you will not hear around these parts.... not a bad fit under the circumstances.

Tomorrow night is poker night. I will use "chuffed" the first time I pull in a good size pot from those rotten liars.

Sawdust Dave -

Hello Dave, As far as "Chuffed" goes,as a young lad in Liverpool the word was used to express proudness happy with the end result,to be pleased with oneself. And so you should ,you produced a masterpiece,giving lots of info,methods and technics to many modeler's,thanks Edwin

Hah! Thanks Dave. I don't know if 'chuffed' is just Aussie slang, but it sounds like you got my drift anyway! I bet your poker buddies will look suitably impressed and confused when you use it tomorrow night.

All the best

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

bountiful bevy of boats...........beautiful!  :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

FINAL PHOTO POSTING FOR THIS BUILD.....

Built this this little display base for the small model....

post-11777-0-91155700-1425132509.jpg

Added the flags to both ships....(printed from internet search)....

post-11777-0-74142100-1425132586_thumb.jpg

And there you are.... All Done.

post-11777-0-40233300-1425132633_thumb.jpg

What Next?

Not sure yet.  A friend is sending me a set of plan sheets for The Royal Sovereign.... by Carta Augusto (Italian) 

I searched for a build log from someone - can't find one. 

I did find a number of photo's and a very interesting "History", which after reading, I'm surprised I can't find more on her.

She looks like a major challenge for a scratch build, but might be just what I'm looking for, as long as it doesn't require plating the hull.... never again! 

Best I can figure, the plan sheets appear to be about 1:60th scale, which is the same as the larger Mayflower above.   

I'll soon find out once the plan sheets arrive.

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

They be a credit to your workmanship, Dave !!

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy