HM Bomb Vessel Granado by jwvolz - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1:64

Those rails are really sharp.  Very nice work!  Thanks for sharing the technique!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Joe,  Your log starts with the bearding and rabbet lines already cut.  The Grenado plans show the bearding line but not the rabbet line.  I'm guessing it's because they assume that everyone knows what to do.  Well, not everyone does.  Do you just go along the bottom and front of the keel about 1/16 and cut about 1/32 deep?

Well, I've made some nice progress since the last update, and am just now getting caught up with the photos. 

• Quarterdeck rail installed, including the addition of the decorative molded strip that is not in the kit. This was done the same way as the forecastle rail.
  • Forecastle knights and timberheads installed and painted.
  • Galley flue painted and installed. A simple styrene disc and a few pieces of styrene strip were used to scratch build the deflector. 
  • Mortar surround side panels installed. 
  • Stern 10" mortar glued in place. This was completed a while ago. I've left the 13" forward mortar off for now, since I'm displaying that one in an elevated position and don't want it in the way while installing the cannons. 
  • I scratch built the windlass from walnut, rather than use the ply parts, but am not 100% happy with it. The walnut I used is a good bit darker than the rest of what Caldercraft supplies, and I may have to get some other walnut that's a bit lighter (and has less grain) and try again, which is unfortunate because it was a bit of work. That being said I'm not pleased with how the color of the supplied Caldercraft walnut varies extensively. At least I don't have that issue with the planking, but the CNC sheets are all over the map. 

post-11003-0-91361800-1412640526_thumb.jpg

post-11003-0-70899000-1412640532_thumb.jpg

post-11003-0-70039600-1412640550_thumb.jpg

post-11003-0-65360800-1412640565_thumb.jpg

post-11003-0-23431000-1412640579_thumb.jpg

Edited by Joe V.

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

Joe,  Your log starts with the bearding and rabbet lines already cut.  The Grenado plans show the bearding line but not the rabbet line.  I'm guessing it's because they assume that everyone knows what to do.  Well, not everyone does.  Do you just go along the bottom and front of the keel about 1/16 and cut about 1/32 deep?

Fred,

Surprisingly the rabbet is not in the Caldercraft instructions, although the bearding line is. I just knew from experience that it needed to be done, particularly with double planking. I just bevel back on an angle from the false keel with a chisel enough to get both layers of planking to lay flay against the bulkheads and keel, and fit properly at the stem. If you remove the equivalent of both layers of planking at the stem you should be fine there. 

Joe Volz

Current build:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

Really nice work Joe as always.  Your planking and painting are super crisp.

I can see what you mean by the windlass.  It does look a bit darker than the other walnut you used elsewhere.  I'm running into similar issues with my Pegasus, where the walnut is all over the place in color - very frustrating!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

That foc'sle looks great Joe.

Agree with your thoughts on the walnut colouring. I've just been finishing masts and yards (pics posted when it's worth showing) and luckily had some nice light walnut from a previous kit to make cleats to match the bowsprit, which had been in turn stained to match the rest of the kit. The supplied rod was way too dark.

That's the trouble, and beauty of these pre-Nelson ships - not much painted over so harder to hide the botches.

Thanks guys.

I don't think this windlass will be the final one... I'm going to start scrounging around for other options, and possibly staining something to match most of the other kit walnut. I have cannon rigging and construction to keep me occupied for a bit.  

When I get to the masts I think I'm going to copy the CNC cut bibs, cheeks etc... in another wood that I can also make the masts out of. I don't think I'll ever be able to match the kit pieces up with the doweling supplied for the masts. At least the spars, tops and doublings are black!

Joe Volz

Current build:

I assembled the eight remaining long guns and made up the side tackles, train tackles and breeching ropes. Just doesn't look like much even if it is a bit of work. Installation to follow. 

I airbrushed the cannons with a mix of gray and black Polly Scale paints and they have a matte coat applied over them to protect the finish. 

post-11003-0-40691800-1412996839_thumb.jpg

Joe Volz

Current build:

Well my dissatisfaction with the windlass got the best of me and I obtained some lighter, less grainy walnut from the hobby store. Four 5x5mm strips were glued into a square, sanded octagonal, tapered and then cut to fit around the uprights. 

I am MUCH happier with this one, both color and finish. 

I hope it is clear that the second picture is the good one...

post-11003-0-40316500-1413081755_thumb.jpg

post-11003-0-10967900-1413081764_thumb.jpg

Joe Volz

Current build:

Much better result there Joe. It's always worth the effort if you aren't happy with the first attempt.

Edited by Timmo

The new windlass color looks like a much better match.  Nice decision to bite the bullet and build a new one.

Preparation of the cannons takes forever, especially if you rig them.  Nice in some ways in that it's a repetitive task that you can get into a rhythm doing, but I'm still glad my models have fewer guns than some of the big ones out there.

Mike

Thanks guys.

I've reached the point where I will take the time to re-make any part I end up unhappy with. I invest too many hours to have a something I'm not happy with compromise the whole build. 

Next up I'm going to complete the windlass/belfry assembly. 

Joe Volz

Current build:

The windlass and the completed belfry have been installed. Caldercraft supplies a cast metal bell, but I had this extra brass one in my fittings stash. There's no way I could have painted the cast one to look this nice 

post-11003-0-45593500-1413324986_thumb.jpg

post-11003-0-00174800-1413324997_thumb.jpg

Joe Volz

Current build:

Looks fabulous Joe, good call on the bell and nice rework on the windlass.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Thanks again everyone.

Well, being on vacation this week as enabled me to get in lots of golf and lots of ship modeling.  :)

The cannons have all been installed and rigged. Although it is always a tedious process, I think it went quite well. Caldercraft supplies some decently small blocks to rig the guns and they were quite usable. I still need to make up the rope coils, but I'll do that in a few days.

post-11003-0-89199700-1413507811_thumb.jpg

post-11003-0-22249000-1413507821_thumb.jpg

post-11003-0-89163700-1413507828_thumb.jpg

post-11003-0-58146100-1413507837_thumb.jpg

Joe Volz

Current build:

Hi  Joe,

great Job on the cannons. I just startet the rigging of my cannons on the Royal Caroline. Ist the first time I do this rigging - and... wow... it is a challenge. I try to find out the best way for a practical work Routine on the different ropes. It is a fiddly fumbling with tweezers, glue, knots and many lost nervs... But at least it will work :angry::D :D

Cheerio

Max

:10_1_10:

Next: Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde by Euro Model 1:47

Finished: Half Moon Corel;  HMY Royal Caroline Panart; HMB Endeavour Occre 1:54; Fregatte Berlin, Corel, 1:40

A life without dogs is possible... but worth to live?

Nice work Joe.  Cannon rigging is tricky business, I'm sure you're glad to get the 2mm blocks behind you :)

A week of golf and ship modeling sounds ideal.  I'm jealous!

Mike

Thanks guys, much appreciated. 

Yep, great week Mike. Fall golf is the best with cooler weather and smaller crowds. Oh, and the scenery can't beat this time of year either...

post-11003-0-47662300-1413589881_thumb.jpg

Joe Volz

Current build:

Hi Joe,

I fully agree with you: Autumn is my favorite season - although it is not as spectacular in Germany as it is at the Eastcoast of the US (who does not know the great Pictures of the famous Indian Summer...) But it is a perfect time for hiking, to go out with the Dogs, to relax and to prepare for the dark and Grey winter coming soon...

Have a nice time

Cheerio

Max

Finished: Half Moon Corel;  HMY Royal Caroline Panart; HMB Endeavour Occre 1:54; Fregatte Berlin, Corel, 1:40

Minor update.

Elm tree pumps are built. Caldercraft suggests a dowel for the outlet, but I used a piece of styrene rod that I hollowed out slightly to give it some depth. They also say to paint everything  black, except the handle (brass) and to paint that "wood". Since that never looks very realistic, I painted the whole thing black. Not the best photo of the painted ones...

post-11003-0-37508700-1413856606_thumb.jpg

post-11003-0-18128900-1413856613_thumb.jpg

Joe Volz

Current build:

Thanks everyone for all of the "likes"

I've started working on the ladders. There are a total of six to build and I am not at all pleased with the kit CNC parts, as it is way out of scale and the ply is visible on the edge and would need to be painted. I came up with the method below and am pretty pleased with the results.

I started with 1mmx4mm walnut to match most of the inboard fittings. I measured out 5mm gaps between treads on one side, and then offset those by 2mm on the other side, to get the right angle. I drew a line connecting the two marks and filed a shallow groove with a triangular file to accommodate the tread. Some .5mmx3mm stock was cut with a simple jig to be sure the length was equal and glued into the slots on the one side, and when thoroughly dry, the other side was glued in place. As these strips were a bit narrower I made sure they were flush with the front face of the sides. They were then finished to final length through fitting on the model. 

I think they look much better. Still a few more to make.  

post-11003-0-10829800-1414024131_thumb.jpg

post-11003-0-87731800-1414024139_thumb.jpg

post-11003-0-40484300-1414024150_thumb.jpg

post-11003-0-73795000-1414024157_thumb.jpg

post-11003-0-73556000-1414024164_thumb.jpg

Joe Volz

Current build:

Those are pretty narrow Joe, and you're right that the CNC part is too thick.  Think you can get away with using them on the wider ladders, but your scratched one looks much better.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Big improvement Joe. Ladders are tricky and a good ladder, as a wee part, gives a real lift to the overall picture. Love your model, she is going to be a beauty!

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Thanks all, much appreciated. I'm really glad I'm taking these little extra steps in the build, it's all worth it, and it helps challenge me to come up with a solution whenever presented by the something in the kit I don't like. 

Joe Volz

Current build:

Hi Joe,

thats so much correc t what you say. I do not think that I will build a scratch model. But to know how to improve a kit or to do things better than the kit makes it possible is great. So you can come much closer to the original... Thats what I think about it :)

Cheerio

Max

All six ladders are complete and installed. Fiddly to build, but definitely worth it. 

post-11003-0-90064700-1414378955_thumb.jpg

post-11003-0-03433300-1414378961_thumb.jpg

Joe Volz

Current build: