HM Bomb Vessel Granado by jwvolz - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1:64

Well now that my work area is complete, I've actually gotten back to work on Granado. I've spent the last week or so constructing all of the yards, gaffs, and booms, as well as the ensign and jack staffs. Now on to horses, blocks etc...

post-11003-0-66790600-1422829445_thumb.jpg

Speaking of blocks...I also spent some very tedious time last night rounding off blocks; got all of the 5mm, 7mm and sister blocks done. and re-stained.  I'm not looking forward to the smaller ones...

post-11003-0-52669600-1422829453_thumb.jpg

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

Joe,

Have you considered replacing the kit blocks with some from Chuck's Syren company? They would really make a big difference and complement your excellent build beautifully. Just a thought.............. ;)

Thanks everyone.. 

Grant: Not at this point. I already have a number of the kit blocks installed in various places that would make it difficult to change at this point, and mixing wouldn't look so good. My next build will either have Chuck's blocks, or I'll be making my own. With the amount of time I am spending cleaning up the kit ones I can better us my time on the next one. 

Joe Volz

Current build:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

I have all of the blocks now attached to the yards. Seizing and stropping blocks is one of my least favorite modeling tasks, but eventually I get into a rhythm and the pace picks up. Caldercraft's plans are pretty clear and easy to interpret as to the block quantities and locations, including pendant lengths. 

post-11003-0-30270700-1423438613_thumb.jpg

post-11003-0-44512600-1423438618_thumb.jpg

I guess it's on to the footropes now, while I patiently continue to wait for my serving machine from Domanoff Workshop to arrive. 

Joe Volz

Current build:

Foot ropes are done. I still need to do a wrap or two of thread around the spars at each stirrup to make it look as if they are actually wrapped around the spar, and not a wire. The stirrups are simply 28 gauge brass wire which have a small eye formed in the end by wrapping around a drill bit. I then wrapped and glued thread around the spot where the wire doubles back above the eye to better hide the fact that it is wire. The foot ropes themselves have been brushed with very diluted white glue to hold their shape.

post-11003-0-14956800-1423880796_thumb.jpg

post-11003-0-29614300-1423880811_thumb.jpg

No updates for a bit, as college visit for my son tomorrow, and then I am off to Germany for a week plus for work. Hopefully by Domanoff serving machine arrives by the time I return!

Joe Volz

Current build:

• 2 weeks later...

Well my new Domanoff serving machine arrived, and I've been working on the shrouds. The machine is a real pleasure to use and things go pretty quickly. Nothing really to show on the shrouds until I get the deadeyes turned in, hopefully by the weekend. 

post-11003-0-60346800-1424834534_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile, here's a few photos from my visit to Dresden, Germany for work last week. They've done an amazing job restoring the buildings damaged and destroyed in World War II. Some beautiful architecture. 

post-11003-0-06239500-1424834563_thumb.jpg

post-11003-0-90576300-1424834572_thumb.jpg

post-11003-0-44242100-1424834587_thumb.jpg

post-11003-0-22409800-1424834614_thumb.jpg

And more importantly: German food and beer!

post-11003-0-89231600-1424834685_thumb.jpg

post-11003-0-30702600-1424834661_thumb.jpg

Edited by Joe V.

Joe Volz

Current build:

Ah, schmeckt zehr gut!  :)  Although, you might have enjoyed a Bitburger Pils with what looks like sauerbraten.  ;)   But, that's just me. :D Three years in the Eifel affects you that way.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I managed to get the foremast shrouds served and installed over the masthead. I'm pretty pleased with how they came out. In retrospect, I may remove and install each one as I go and turn in the deadeyes, so I can snug them down neatly and tightly on top of each other. 

post-11003-0-13840200-1424913783_thumb.jpg

post-11003-0-73533300-1424913790_thumb.jpg

Joe Volz

Current build:

Looking great Joe.  You're moving along quickly but with excellent results.  You're going to need to start planning your next build soon :)

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thanks very much everyone.

Mike: I'm busying myself now with planning ahead for the next one. The list gets narrower day by day...  B)

Joe Volz

Current build:

OK, OK... :)

In current order of likelihood, which could change tomorrow.

MS Charles W. Morgan

MS Brig Niagara

MS Brig Syren

Caldercraft Cruiser

I'd build the USS Constitution from the MS kit in a heartbeat, but even in that scale I can't imagine where I'd put the beast. 

Joe Volz

Current build:

MS Charles W. Morgan

MS Brig Niagara

MS Brig Syren

Caldercraft Cruiser

I'd build the USS Constitution from the MS kit in a heartbeat, but even in that scale I can't imagine where I'd put the beast. 

I also will have an issue with my MS Constitution on space to put it when complete. I decided to say the "heck with it" and build it anyway. It will take me at least two years to finish. Enough time to carve out a place for it. 

I think all of the ships your thinking of doing are great choices. I look forward to following your next build log as well.

- Tim

Edited by Tim I.

MS Charles W. Morgan

MS Brig Niagara

MS Brig Syren

Caldercraft Cruiser

Great choices Joe.  You'll definitely do a fantastic job on any of those kits for sure.

I have the Charles Morgan kit.  It's a nice kit with detailed plans, and as John's build shows, it makes for a very nice model.  I'm looking forward to building it one day as something different from a war ship.  No fiddly cannons to deal with, but seven whaleboats and lots of interesting whaling-related items to build instead.  Some of the kit's included pieces are not very well done though - I think you'll find that you'll need to scratch quite a bit, as John shows on his log.  Otherwise, I think it's a great kit and it's nice that the ship is available to see up in CT.  I'm planning to eventually do mine in full sail, as I think that would really make the model look magnificent if I can pull it off.  I think the Niagara would be another beautiful ship to do in full sail too.  The nice thing about the Niagara is that you can just buy the plans if you are planning on replacing the kit wood.

Constitution is another nice one.  My wife thought my Badger at 2' or so in length was big, and raised her eyebrows when I said my current builds are around 3' long.  I can only guess the reaction if I told her my next build would be 4' in length  :rolleyes:

Have you taken a look at the Euromodel kits?  They are a bit pricier than the other kits you are looking at, but in terms of plans and kit components, they are really nice kits.  I managed to get the Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde off eBay for a steal, and it's an incredible kit.  What I like is that the kit plans give you enough information to add lots of extra details to your build.  There are also detailed practicums that are available for free to help one along.  I'm saving this kit for last after my other kits to get my skill level up to really do it justice.

Looking forward to whatever you decide!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thanks for the thoughts Mike. 

I actually have the Morgan on order already from Expo, just waiting for my back order to be filled. Not that that means it's next...I still have plenty of time to decide. I get very frustrated looking over so many kits and realizing I'll toss so much and have to scratch or replace things. The concept of Chuck's Cheerful is so encouraging in that regard. The perfect kit for me at this point is good plans, bulkheads and keel, and some nice turned brass cannons. No lousy nylon rope, square yet crooked blocks and splintery walnut planking material. 

Joe Volz

Current build:

The lower shrouds have been completed. I think I'm going to put off ratlines for the moment and work on the lower mast stays first. 

post-11003-0-21138300-1425693997_thumb.jpg

post-11003-0-68958400-1425694009_thumb.jpg

post-11003-0-69562000-1425694017_thumb.jpg

Joe Volz

Current build:

I completed the lower stays over the weekend. The mainstay is effort number three. Number one came up a bit short, and I almost left it, but my wife told me I'd never be happy long-term, and I made a new one. That one I nicked the serving while I was installing it, completely unraveling it.

Third time was a charm. 

I also installed the mainmast futtock staves. 

post-11003-0-06649300-1425868568_thumb.jpg

post-11003-0-12508500-1425868576_thumb.jpg

post-11003-0-86782100-1425868583_thumb.jpg

Edited by Joe V.

Joe Volz

Current build:

Top work there. My wife says similar things to me when I press her for opinions on the way forward. I think they know that we just need someone else to tell us what we already know.

Great work Joe.  You and Timmo are married to wise women.  My wife stays away from me when I get frustrated during what I explain is a relaxing hobby  :rolleyes:

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

What a beautiful model! What size of line are you using for serving? It turns out very nicely!

Thomas

Thank you Thomas. I am using Coats and Clark 30 wt. sewing thread. You can find it at A.C. Moore, Michael's etc...

Joe Volz

Current build: