Le Gros Ventre - Gabare du Roi by Cpt Tom - 1766 - 1/48 Scale

Hi Folks,

today I started my new Project and my first Scratch Build Log.

The "Gros Ventre"  the Kings Gabare according to plans from Gérard Delacroix. 

I want to build the ship with pear wood and I hope i can handle it  :D  :D

Here are my first steps:

post-4740-0-81208000-1400703126_thumb.jpg

threaded bars....I hope this is right

post-4740-0-72635700-1400703133_thumb.jpg

washers

post-4740-0-00015800-1400703143_thumb.jpg

nuts

and the Woodparts

post-4740-0-20168500-1400703157_thumb.jpg

post-4740-0-72087800-1400703160_thumb.jpg

Now I´m waiting  for the plans, they are one the way to me. 

Stay tuned 

With best regards

Tom

Current Kit Build Log

The Sovereign of the Seas 1/84

commissioning

HMS Supply

Looking forward to this build.  The LGV is a gorgeous ship.  I have the Ancre monographs which are really well done.  I wish I had the experience to tackle it :)

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Hello Mike,

I have not the experience but I think.......learning by doing....... :D

Thank you that you look further to my Build Log  :piratebo5: and enjoy your Day, we have nice weather here, sunny with no clouds......coooool....!

With best regards

Tom

Current Kit Build Log

commissioning

HMS Supply

Tom,

am waiting for the first pics of your keellaying of the LGV

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

I will be watching your build with interest. I am halfway through the hull framing on my Gros Ventre. Are  you buiding it fully framed?

Dick

Current build: 

Le Gros Ventre 1:48 POF   http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/564-le-gros-ventre-by-woodrat-scale-1-48-pof-1767-french-exploration-vessel/

Past builds:

Mycenaean War Galley by Woodrat - 1:48 - Shell first Plank on Frame:https://modelshipworld.com/topic/33384-mycenaean-war-galley-by-woodrat-148-shell-first-plank-on-frame

Venetian round ship 14th century by Woodrat fully framed - 1:40 scalCompleted

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/17991-venetian-round-ship-14th-century-by-woodrat-fully-framed-140-scale

Venetian Carrack or Cocha 1/64 by woodrat   https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4915-venetian-carrack-or-cocha-164-by-woodrat        completed

United States Frigate Essex 1:64 POF   http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4496-usf-essex-by-woodrat-scale-1-64-fully-framed-from-takakjian-plans/ - completed 

Yenikapi12 by Woodrat - 1/16 scale - a small Byzantine merchant vessel of the 9th century

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/23815-yenikapi12-by-woodrat-116-scale-a-small-byzantine-merchant-vessel-of-the-9th-century-finished/

The Incredible Hulc by Woodrat - an experimental reconstruction of a mediaeval transport

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25641-the-elusive-hulc-by-woodrat-finished-a-speculative-reconstruction-of-a-mediaeval-merchantman-132-plank-on-frame/

Hello Dick,

yes I want to try it, I mean "full framed" and it is absolutely great that so many guys  have the plans and maybe you can help me with my experiment "scratch build"  :D  :D  

I'm still waiting on the plans, they are now one week on the way and France is a neighbor from Germany but it takes so much time until they are here. I know I'm impatient :)  :)

With best regards

Tom

Current Kit Build Log

commissioning

HMS Supply

Should prove to be an interesting build.  I read Napier's book and found this model interesting.

David B

Hi Tom,

I'm pulling up a chair also.   I hope you'll have fun with this build.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Yes Sir, take a chair but you have to wait until next weekend then comes popcorn and beer..........hopefully

Today came to the pear-wood in different strengthen but not the plans  :huh:  :huh: I love this very warm wood and the beautiful wood grain

post-4740-0-43476800-1400943883_thumb.jpg

post-4740-0-99942500-1400943886_thumb.jpg

With best regards

Tom

Current Kit Build Log

commissioning

HMS Supply

Should be a fun project, but why"Gros Ventre" for a name. There is an indian tribe in Montana with that name and it means "Big Bellys" any way thats,what everyone calls them except for themselves. Just saying. Bill in Idaho

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

This barge was used also for expeditions Bill and the Name " Gros Ventre - Big Belly" is right because this ship could take very much charge.  More than other ones and this is why they named her "Big Belly" Yes, it is a funny name........but whatever  :D  :D

With best regards

Tom

Current Kit Build Log

commissioning

HMS Supply

Hi Chris,

yes I wanna do this and yes it is paler than the Swiss Pear, I love this one more and if you put a wood protection on it, it looks even better

Look at this picture I put this on (I don´t know the English word for this)

post-4740-0-66240000-1401029318_thumb.jpg

post-4740-0-30549900-1401029324_thumb.jpg

Edited by cpt. Tom

With best regards

Tom

Current Kit Build Log

commissioning

HMS Supply

Hi Tom,

I just recently lucked out and bought the monograph and plans through MSW/Chuck Passaro. It looks like a very nice ship and I'm hoping to tackle it someday, so I'll be eagerly following your build.

I have been using pear wood myself on a current build, not swiss pear. I've really like the way it looks and I think you've made a great choice. 

Clare

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

She's a transport ship - love the name ! That Pear is a very interesting in color - much paler than the Swiss Pear i see here in the US. Are you going to build exclusively in Pear ?

Chris,

There's two kinds of pear wood.  The pear cut from the tree and allowed to dry and swiss pear which is the same wood but steamed which gives it the pink color.   Both Hobbymill and the Lumberyard have both.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

AHHHH! Now "Gros Ventre" makes sense.  The use of pear wood is interesting because in the wood turning world any fruit wood is avoided because its relatively unstable. Partly I think because turners use much bigger chunks than do ship modelers. About 14 years ago I got some 4" diameter branches from a local orchard and cut it into  a 4" thick billet but It still checked pretty bad. But I just checked and my 1" thick boards are pretty clear. Hmm maybe I have a project coming up.  BILL

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

Hi Bill,

a friend in a German forum builds for many years his ships with pear wood  and he also makes small round rods from the wood for deck support without problems. Of course I do not know how the wood looks in 50 years :D  :D

With best regards

Tom

Current Kit Build Log

commissioning

HMS Supply

Hello Tom.

I wish you much fun and succes in the construction of the model.

Regards Karl      :10_1_10:

Ich wünsche Dir viel Spaß und Erfolg bei dem Bau des Modelles,

und werde den Baufortschritt verfolgen.

Gruss Karl

It is an honor for me  if you watch my build log, Karl and maybe you can give me some advices.......!!!

I'm still waiting for the plans but nothing is happen until today  :(  :(

Es ist eine Ehre für mich wenn Du meinen Baubericht verfolgst und vielleicht kannst Du mir einige Ratschläge geben, Karl. Danke

With best regards

Tom

Current Kit Build Log

commissioning

HMS Supply

Hi Tom, I started the construction of Les Gros Ventre about an year and a half but  I have not started my scratch build log yet.  As I live in Brazil, I have to mill my own wood, and It takes time and money (a lot!) because I had to buy the machines for the job. They are all from PROXXON. I'm using a wood called Peroba Rosa, and I'm still building the frames. I hope we can share our experiences, although I'm not a expert. First of all, be careful about the lenght of the pieces "f" and "d". In plates 1 and 4 they are longer than in plates 8, 15 and 23 (which are the proper length).

Regards

Mauricio

Hi Folks,

the plans are there........my goodness, looks a little bit difficult. Now I need to copy the plans and then cut the parts of. I think this coming weekend I'm doing the first images from my results  :P  :P

Hola a Sao Paulo or Olá a São Paulo

Hi Mauricio,

a very warm welcome to my build log and thank you for the information you gave me. I´m take care about that and you are right they are longer as in 8 or 15.

Peroba Rosa is a nice wood with a red touch but too dark for me, can you make some pictures for me??

Of course we can share our experiences but it is better if you start a build log too so that I can see what you're doing........!!!

I'm not an expert too, this is my first scratch build and I have to figure out how this works  :D  :D

post-4740-0-88257100-1401263101_thumb.jpg

post-4740-0-32461600-1401263105_thumb.jpg

post-4740-0-39263200-1401263109_thumb.jpg

With best regards

Tom

Current Kit Build Log

commissioning

HMS Supply