Andrea Gail by popeye the Sailor - FINISHED - 1:20 scale

I didn't want to let you folks down......even though it's walking dead night :)

the samson post is in place

post-612-0-51941000-1426463758.jpg

post-612-0-72056200-1426463772.jpg

I cut out the decals that was best to fit on the stern.  since these are done on white paper,  I made sure that I stayed in the green,  and not give them a white border.

post-612-0-24039100-1426463937.jpg

I was very happy to see that they came out as well as they did.  the green is a little off.....I may try to do some blending.  I'll weigh it out though......I don't want them to get blotchy,  or built up with paint.

post-612-0-18742700-1426464229.jpg

post-612-0-12062400-1426464246.jpg

I did the names on the bow too....they came out the same.  I am so pleased that they look as good as the do.

post-612-0-32221500-1426464485.jpg

post-612-0-13136700-1426464499.jpg

post-612-0-74285000-1426464512.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks Dennis:   Your decals look great from what I can see.  B) I have seen a CD software update available, but not the standard edition on the Testors web-site. Gonna keep checking for it though. Thanks again!

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

woa woa woa my brother!!!....that looks sooooooo sweet!!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

What Frank said.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

The decals make it pop...   What Frank said goes for me too.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

thank you very much gentlemen!  they're not perfect,  but standing not too close,  you don't really see the difference.  I will try and do the numbers tonight.  I hope the transparency issue doesn't ghost them out.......I may have to set up the E-machine,  to find out if it's simply a compatibility issue....not being black.   gotta go to work now.....see you all tonight.  thanks again for the good word and to all who hit the like button  :)

let me know what you do George.......especially if you find something different.   as mentioned,  don't get the basic.....you can't import anything with it......just make the decals supplied in the program.

this was Larry Patrick.....Moe is going to be the Tree boat.......I think......?!?!  oh crap.....now you got me thinking  :D  :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

What Frank said + 2.

Sooooooooooooper.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

I have pictures of the Lady grace Lextin......her name was change for the movie,  and then changed back.  I did find a bit of history on the lady grace.  she was sold after the movie was made.......and then later bought as sort of a museum piece.  she needed some work though,  and ten days into it {August 2011},  workers started a fire that gutted the helm and the cabins below. 

anyway,  to look at her hull.....it left a large paint blotch.    I may do a little blending......but I doubt it  ;)

thanks Mobbsie!   it works......I hope the numbers do as well ;)   thanks for the good word!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

well I glad you do Sjors ;)   I will be calling for the update today.......I will be asking about compatibility.  along with the info I found on the Lady grace,  I checked out the Hanna Borden and the Andrea Gail.  now,  the articles state that the Lady Grace was used,  because she resembled the A.G.  .......but even stranger, was the statement that they were built together.  I only found one article that suggested this,  but all the other articles state that the Andrea Gail {1978} and the Hanna Borden {1983}  were both built in Panama City Florida.  the Lady Grace {1978}  was built in Ocean City Maryland.   it's trivial......but I found it interesting :)

got a busy morn........but later,  I will get to the table.  thanks for following along Sjors.......it wouldn't be a party without you  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I thought I had mentioned it before.......looking back in the log,  I see I did :rolleyes:   gotta follow my son to the garage......he needs work done on his car.......I'll get to see my brother  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Popeye,

the attaching of the ships Name worked very well, Looks good

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

thanks Nils  :)  now to see how phase 2 works out  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

the pilot house numbers worked OK.......not the color I wanted,  but they will serve the purpose.  I didn't get as much done as I wanted to........ferried my son back and fourth to my brother's garage,  to have his car repaired.  I could have fixed it,  but I don't have a 2 ton press.

post-612-0-78219500-1426701069.jpg

post-612-0-20549800-1426701084.jpg

there is one more that goes up on top of the roof.   the roof has been painted with gloss white,  so the decal will stick better.  I need to place a couple of aspects to the roof,  so I can get a good idea where to place it.  one of the aspects that I speak of,  is the small funnel addition that will align with the compartment in the back of the pilot house.   it's rough at the moment......I may even need to cut it and make it shorter.  it's a start......

post-612-0-72751700-1426701332.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

another aspect that I'll need to get on there,  to gauge the decal,  are the nav lights.  I got this idea during the drive to and from the garage yesterday.   I can make the boxes alright......but it's the lights themselves that I had to ponder over.  I dove in head first  :)

I saw a tubing cutter at the hobby store during my last visit.  it would make my task a lot easier......but I didn't buy it.   I have two of them at home.......I use them to cut tubing for brake lines and other such stuff in automotive repair.   I cleaned this one up and made sure the rollers and blade were in good shape.

post-612-0-32042600-1426701973.jpg

taking a piece of tubing {of suitable size} and locking it in the vise,  I made two cuts and removed the center.  then with a flat file,  I squared up the opening.  you might be able to see where I marked it when it's time to cut the part off.

post-612-0-58144600-1426702155.jpg

the boxes were roughed out......I'll give them time to dry a bit.

post-612-0-30170100-1426702214.jpg

I cut these two pieces of dowel........they are for something else

post-612-0-30226800-1426702254.jpg

at this time I did some of the trim work to the boxes.

post-612-0-91181100-1426702310.jpg

using a pair of scissors that I use for this task,  I cut a few circles from some really thin brass flat stock.

post-612-0-10948100-1426702388.jpg

the second light was created.......now they will be cut from the piece of tubing

post-612-0-75357200-1426702454.jpg

the circles are going to be molded to form the top of the lights......I hope your watching this Piet.....I'm going to try and make you smile  ;)   once they are molded,  they will be soldered on the light bodies.

first,  I took a drill and made a pit for the tops to fit in.

post-612-0-32392300-1426702819.jpg

then,  cutting a pie shaped piece out of the circle,  it was fashioned into a dome,  and placed into the impression.

post-612-0-76001100-1426702907.jpg

the idea worked great until this point........kinda went down hill from here.   to hold it in place was a pain,  then to dip the tip of the iron in flux,  get a drop of solder on the iron,  and apply it to the light,  was another.......but I managed to get the job done.   no virgin ears in this house....I can tell you that!

post-612-0-53273300-1426703232.jpg

I will use rough sandpaper to clean it up....I don't want to use a file......liable to ruin it.  it cleaned up fairly well......I went over it with some finer paper.   they'll be painted gloss white when I am done.

post-612-0-32723900-1426703493.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I wish I could be behind watching you dking this !

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Now that's some wonderful use of ingenuity and fabrication Dennis! I see all those years of wrenching on your vehicles has paid off nicely! Bravo!

Cheers :cheers:

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Very clever Denis........ looks like they came out alright. By the way this project of yours would be real nice if it were made into a kit. this is a real nice

boat.I'm surprised there isn't a kit of this already out there

Edited by riverboat

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

thanks Nenad and George....they are both done.......painted,  and have the window maker already in the lense.  I just have to let them dry

post-612-0-51937700-1426711297.jpg

I put the legs on the light boxes too.

post-612-0-21620800-1426711330.jpg

more later when they are finished  ;)  thanks for the good word!

too late on that Frank.......Billing's has two kits out on this vessel.   I'm using the instructions for the R/C version {with ABS hull} to build this one from scratch.   the other one is a smaller scale static kit.....I have those instructions too,  but I'm only comparing the two for parts references.  this is an exercise to see if I can reproduce a build using existing instructions....I guess it's what you can call it.   thanks for saying that though.......I guess I'm doing alright  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Great lights, Popeye ---- and boxes!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Wonderful lights, Popeye... very ingenious.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hey Popeye, look at what Piet is doing - - -  :D  :D  :D   From ear to ear!  I'm glad my dome making idea came in handy for you.  The lights look great!  I think that I would have used a jeweler's saw for the cut-outs but your tube cutter works too.  Yeah, I have one of those in my toolbox.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

I don't got one 'o those Piet.........I'll look and see if they have one at the craft store.   glad to have made you smile......I'll get into metal work yet! ;)

a big thanks to all for the kind comments and the like button.  I went right back to work after my last post,  so there's more to see......but tomorrow though........I'za tired!  :)  :D   thanks!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I really want to thank all of you fine folks again for following along and being so supportive.  back in the day,  before the internet,  ya built a model......enjoyed the experience and then it would languish on a shelf until the parts fell off.   the internet changed a lot for the hobby.....it opened that closed up space where we build,  and allows a vast audience to view your work.  it's taken it to another level!   it's also allowed us access to information,  which helps us to become better modelers.   this site,  and you fine folk,  make it a win / win for us all  :)

after my last post,  I went back at it,  and made more progress.  those two pieces of dowel you saw earlier......well,  in looking at the instructions,  I found that I only needed one of them.  I began to make the parts for the life raft locker.

post-612-0-03732200-1426766463.jpg

what I had done to the light boxes earlier had dried,  so I did a bit more paint work on them.

post-612-0-97654200-1426766576.jpg

the pilot house is closed now........the roof is cemented in place.   with the dry fits,  came the conclusion that interior views are restricted to what you see.  it'll speed things up.......there are bigger fish to fry later on.  I still have the Boulogne......with her larger windows {I can even do wipers} ;)

post-612-0-11129900-1426766924.jpg

time was juggled between the life raft locker and the funnel addition for the roof.  the locker was assembled and paint work had started.

post-612-0-61203300-1426767137.jpg

the funnel addition was bland.......nothing went in the cavity in the top of it.  I made it a bit wider too, thinking that something did.  so far,  I added a vent tube.....I'll think of something else to utilize the space.  there is another pipe {the actual exhaust stack,  I believe},  that runs up the side of it.  brackets were added to it for support.

post-612-0-73467600-1426768063.jpg

the stanchion is finally in place.  the pulley was added and received it's final touch up of paint.  it will be rigged later when dry.

post-612-0-96415100-1426768198.jpg

this may look like the start of the next wave of parts to be added to the model.....but no.  there are a few more parts that need to be made......the roof is the focal point now.  the funnel addition is cemented in place.......I can add to it there,  just as well as on the table.

post-612-0-81005900-1426768604.jpg

the nav lights are next.......they are done :)   after the window maker was dry,  a dab of Signal Red and Emerald Green inside the lenses,  was enough to finish them.  the boxes got the final paint and touch ups.

post-612-0-01041400-1426768804.jpg

post-612-0-23494800-1426768821.jpg

the focus now is to get the roof fitted out and do something I have been putting off.......more ladders :rolleyes:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Popeye,

the nav lamps and their brackets look very nice

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

thank you Nils and george!  it won't be whipped cream and nuts,  but I'll try to keep that sweet tooth of yours in check  ;)  :D  :D  :D

I'm done getting caught up..........now off to the table!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: