Andrea Gail by popeye the Sailor - FINISHED - 1:20 scale

Looking good, Popeye.  Great detail.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

thanks to you all and those who hit the like button.   actually,  I didn't even bother to paint the portholes.   they come in that dark brown color,  and in the pictures,  they look kinda blackened.......so I left them like that.  I'm just as curious Carl......there is one picture that I'm itching to do........perhaps in the next update ;)

I think I figured out how to drill the holes for the  'eye'  shackles.  the problem is that the drill tends to want to walk off the side of the dowel, putting them in the wrong position and angle.   more on this soon  :)   thanks again all!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Avast, mate.  Leave those port holes lie.......they look great!!!!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

I think I figured out how to drill the holes for the  'eye'  shackles.  the problem is that the drill tends to want to walk off the side of the dowel, putting them in the wrong position and angle.   more on this soon  :)   thanks again all!  ;)

Popeye,

Try poking a small hole with a nail or awl to act as a pilot hole. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Popeye,

Try poking a small hole with a nail or awl to act as a pilot hole. 

That's the way I do it, when I do it. 

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

yea......the idea is to make pilot holes.  I'll use a smaller drill to locate them.  I'm done with the work week.......now I can play.  not to worry Augie,  the port holes are fixed........no harm will come to them.   looks like I need to make sure my fingers are clean of sawdust though,  before I touch the hull  ;)  love the sawdust smudge in one of the pictures  :D  :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

The whole ship is looking great Denis I too am enjoying seeing the little details come together.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

thanks Michael...........coming out better than I ever expected ;)   more progress soon.......I got a heck of a cold,  and didn't get much done yesterday.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

it's been a couple of weeks since my last update........been down with a cold.   it's not the cold so much,  but the meds to fight it make me so drowsy.   another thing that brought me to a crawl,  is when I did some dry fits,  I found a few things that are off with the build.....I'm trying to figure out how to work around them without having to alter what I've done so far.   the one solace I can take from this,  is that in looking at the Andrea Gail,  what I'm actually seeing is the Lady Grace.  my thought is,  that while these two ships bore a resemblance,  the Andrea Gail may have been configured differently.  looking at the Hanna Borden,  you can see the difference

post-612-0-04538000-1426089508.jpg

the Andrea Gail was built at the same yard......the A.G. in 1978......the H.B. in 1983....eastern ship builders in Panama City,  Fla.  the problems I've run into are small really......it's a real fudge figuring out how to do it,  and keep with the configuration.   I've already solved one of them.

I did get those eye shackles in place.  I used two long pins and stuck the shackle in place,  through the channels on both sides.   first a small drill,  and then a drill the same diameter as the shackles.

post-612-0-73868200-1426091854.jpg

I have a few others to do......I'll be using the same method.   the first problem I saw pertains to the tall ladder the will go up the side of the first and second section.  I wrapped the railings all the way around the face of the gangway......I originally thought it looked better that way.  now that I have the front uprights and supports assembled,  to put the ladder where it's supposed to go,  will be blocked by the railing.

post-612-0-45174300-1426092305.jpg

what makes this worse,  is that I made it too wide,  and the ladder will also interfere with the boom bracket.  I will most likely put the ladder on the back part of the assembly...you'll see more about this in a moment.  another problem is the stanchion I made.......don't know why I didn't see this one sooner.

with the stanchion in place,  the tilt of the aft section is going to interfere with it.  the reason why.....is that it's way out of scale!   the instructions had measurements of the parts,  and that's what I went by to make it.  too bad too.........I dressed it up a bit more with some supports at the base.

post-612-0-20658500-1426093130.jpg

so.....it will be back to the drawing board with this piece of the puzzle,  and scale it down so it's at least the same height as the podium / rack {should have been a dead give - a - way  ;) }   to be able to put the boom brackets where they needed to go,  I had to trim the bulwark fenders back even with the fore deck railings.  then they will fit in the proper place.   the alteration was touched up after the changes were made.

post-612-0-67856200-1426093413.jpg

post-612-0-58582700-1426093428.jpg

still need to finish the pilot house roof........got a bunch of stuff to make that go on top too.  I've done a bit more this morning.......should have it up later.   thanks for looking in  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Glad you're feeling better Dennis. Now that you're back at it, I'm sure you'll sort out the changes with no problemo! 

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Looking good.

Bob

Looks good Popeye.  Can't even tell you re-did things.   As for the ladder... Captain's discretion and without documentation, it's a toss up.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Verrrrryyyy nice, indead

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Really great attention to detail, Popeye.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Glad your back in the yard Denis and feeling a little better.

If anybody can come with the right solution to a problem it's you mate, you have in the past and you will in the future, If you didn't have problems you wouldn't do this hobby, its in your blood.

I do like what your doing mate, keep it up.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

thanks to all of you fine folks for the kind comments and the likes.   I am feeling better.......just a dry cough....something new in the evolution of the common cold.   I have been busy today........I have something really neat for you to see.  of course it's just a dry fit,  but when everything's ready....it will be the next barrage of parts to be cemented in place.   where would this hobby be without those pesky little problems? ;)   thanks again to you all......now off to go paint........and get that darn pilot house in order!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I was ahead of myself when I did this........I had to disassemble it to get the first picture.  not to worry,  I didn't go all the way with it......if you look close,  you'll see I cheated.  :D  :D   I thought you may get a charge out of this......it all started when I cemented the boom brackets in place.

post-612-0-63581600-1426120923.jpg

after .....I put the boom back in place

post-612-0-13631700-1426120967.jpg

I was glad to see that I didn't goof on the yokes......they fit in there snug enough,  so I won't have to worry about them falling out before I get the chance to rig them.

post-612-0-97610300-1426121081.jpg

post-612-0-53102300-1426121097.jpg

post-612-0-83994900-1426121109.jpg

I also did a bit of work to the aft section.....drilling the holes for the eye shackles.  two center supports were also cemented in.

post-612-0-22495200-1426121240.jpg

these will be for the support cables to the first section assembly.  flipping it over,  two more were added for cables that will attach to the bulwarks {or the deck}.

post-612-0-88562200-1426121574.jpg

the plans don't show it,  since the aft section is cocked in such a silly way......and they don't even show you how to assemble it.  I saw this in the pictures,  and so I found a use for that second ladder I made.

post-612-0-76622000-1426121782.jpg

before these parts went down to be painted,  I added this bar to the gangway.  in the plans,  there is use for this part.......I'll see if I can dress it up somehow

post-612-0-45697800-1426122036.jpg

I brought two of the parts up from the cellar already.......guess I better go get the other two,  before the cellar monster gets hold of them ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Now that looks just like the giant wave-climber I remember from the movie, with most of the trawl rig set in place. I'm glad the yokes worked out after all. 

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Glad you are feeling better and that things worked out on the AG.  She's looking great.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Excellent work, Popeye.  I guess a little down time just makes the next time in the shop better.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

it's been a couple of weeks since my last update........been down with a cold.   it's not the cold so much,  but the meds to fight it make me so drowsy.   another thing that brought me to a crawl,  is when I did some dry fits,  I found a few things that are off with the build.....I'm trying to figure out how to work around them without having to alter what I've done so far.   the one solace I can take from this,  is that in looking at the Andrea Gail,  what I'm actually seeing is the Lady Grace.  my thought is,  that while these two ships bore a resemblance,  the Andrea Gail may have been configured differently.  looking at the Hanna Borden,  you can see the difference

attachicon.gifhannahboden1-500x400.jpg

the Andrea Gail was built at the same yard......the A.G. in 1978......the H.B. in 1983....eastern ship builders in Panama City,  Fla.  the problems I've run into are small really......it's a real fudge figuring out how to do it,  and keep with the configuration.   I've already solved one of them.

I did get those eye shackles in place.  I used two long pins and stuck the shackle in place,  through the channels on both sides.   first a small drill,  and then a drill the same diameter as the shackles.

attachicon.gif#1.jpg

I have a few others to do......I'll be using the same method.   the first problem I saw pertains to the tall ladder the will go up the side of the first and second section.  I wrapped the railings all the way around the face of the gangway......I originally thought it looked better that way.  now that I have the front uprights and supports assembled,  to put the ladder where it's supposed to go,  will be blocked by the railing.

attachicon.gif#2.jpg

what makes this worse,  is that I made it too wide,  and the ladder will also interfere with the boom bracket.  I will most likely put the ladder on the back part of the assembly...you'll see more about this in a moment.  another problem is the stanchion I made.......don't know why I didn't see this one sooner.

with the stanchion in place,  the tilt of the aft section is going to interfere with it.  the reason why.....is that it's way out of scale!   the instructions had measurements of the parts,  and that's what I went by to make it.  too bad too.........I dressed it up a bit more with some supports at the base.

attachicon.gif#3.jpg

so.....it will be back to the drawing board with this piece of the puzzle,  and scale it down so it's at least the same height as the podium / rack {should have been a dead give - a - way  ;) }   to be able to put the boom brackets where they needed to go,  I had to trim the bulwark fenders back even with the fore deck railings.  then they will fit in the proper place.   the alteration was touched up after the changes were made.

attachicon.gif#4.jpg

attachicon.gif#5.jpg

still need to finish the pilot house roof........got a bunch of stuff to make that go on top too.  I've done a bit more this morning.......should have it up later.   thanks for looking in  :)

Hi Dennis

Even inspite of your cold and the problems that you've come up against, you still manage to pull it all together! I've said it before, but I'll say it again...your AG is just marvellous!

Well done and I'm glad that you're back in the shipyard again.

Cheers

Patrick

thanks again for your kind comments and likes :)     I yam feel'in better.....I appreciate all your concerns ;)   not that it matters,  but I did make a mistake about the part I cemented up along the gangway.......there is NO visible use for it in the plans.  as mentioned,  I will make some use for it.   the paint is dry.......we'll see what I can get done today  :)    thanks again for looking in!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Lawrence......I really appreciate the well wish and good word :)   feeling better has given me the urge to get a couple of the other builds on the table......the one you've seen draped in cloth is the Boulogne......the other is the trawler Syborn.  Andrea had taken residence though,  and will remain on the main table until it is finished......it's become a vendetta for me ;)   I appreciate your following along.....your positive comments.....and those of others, keep me going ;)

thank you very much  post-612-0-09751200-1426251075.gif

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I started this session by looking over the paint work.  there are some areas that didn't get any paint.......

the can I've been using is almost gone.   for the white.....it's just primer from spray can....it's the best dead pan color there is.   absolutely no sheen......but I have accented here and there with gloss white,  especially areas that are going to see decals {which I really need to get off my duff and make}.

post-612-0-65446700-1426251353.jpg

I tied the 'wings' back on Andrea for the time being,  until I get to do something with them.  that will be coming up soon ;)

post-612-0-18559600-1426251455.jpg

the can of primer white I've been using is almost gone.....when we went to register the Camry and run our errands,  I will make it a point to get another can.  I had decanted some and started to do the touch ups,  beginning with the ladder.

post-612-0-79537000-1426251608.jpg

I wanted to show you this.........we had gone on a past errand.....I, of course,  try to use every one as a scavenger hunt......and we ended up at the Mall.   A.C.  Moore's is there and we stopped in.  I found these 5mm rings....but the admiral found the chain.  there is no size listed....but there is 72 inches of it, kind of an antique copper.

post-612-0-96193300-1426251904.jpg

a funny thing........at the beginning of this session.....I instructed the admiral to nag me about the pilot house,  knowing full well my track record for straying off course.  I am happy to say that she outdone herself!......and I laughed the whole time she was doing it,  which probably made it worse!  :D  :D  yes,  it was time to get the rest of the windows installed.  I collect the clear cello from packaged products we buy in the stores.  it comes in different thicknesses,  so it meets all of my application needs.

post-612-0-22182100-1426252515.jpg

post-612-0-24687400-1426252528.jpg

while this was going on,  I decided to get going on the decals.  I am about to deal with the same problem that Piet did with the 019......this should be interesting  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Between the wings and that ladder she's starting to look like a heavy frigate.  I don't know how you keep all this stuff straight in your head but it's great to see it all come together.  Glad to hear the Admiral is keeping you in check.  

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976