Sea of Galilee boat by Wintergreen - FINISHED

Thanks for the "likes" and to Carl and John.

Yes, "if at first you don't succeed, try and try again..." planking is a skill which I'm only in the beginning of acquiring. Of course I could have selected a softer wood than oak for a start, like birch. But I wanted the durability of oak since the item will be on public display in our church. 

Note to self - "don't be hasty" as Merry puts it in Lord of the Rings. Planking cant be rushed. Well, well, it can only be better next time.

The over sized planks will also take a lot of sanding and then it will look much better.

now what? ... humm, where did I put those notes...

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Current build: Atlantica by Wintergreen

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Sea of Galilee boat, first century, sort of...

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

A while ago I descided to add floors to the hull. Not that it will be visible when on display filled with 3-4cm of sand. But the again, how many builders here on MSW add stuff that will be forever out of sight?

The floor boards are 5 mm thick and varying width.

I use contact cement to stick to the brown bottom and ordinary white glue on the edges.

post-6-0-22710000-1457033606_thumb.jpg

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

Hi, an update again.

Work is progressing rather good now. 

To show that I care for my health since contact cement smells heavily.

I mounted the big sucker (I know, I know, it is called something like dust extractor, not as fun though) on the edge of my work area.

The second picture shows the floor glued in place. A bit damp in the picture after wiping off dust.

Next up will be "frames", or more like "L"-shaped side supports.

To be continued...

post-6-0-63422900-1457609338_thumb.jpg

post-6-0-33181300-1457609341_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wintergreen

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

where do you blow the fumes out to?

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

Thanks for the "likes" and comments.

Alan, regarding my dust extraction system. The motor unit sits in the adjacent room, aka "garage". From there the outlet is led to the gardening tools store. That area is not insulated and well ventilated thanks to crappy door and walls.

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

LIKE MY FIRST TWO HOMES!

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

Work continued with the internal supports.

First I used card to make a template for each support.

Then rough cut the blanks on the band saw.

post-6-0-72329500-1458242474_thumb.jpg

Next was a grand premiere for my disk sander...it even have dust extraction...

post-6-0-15014800-1458242482_thumb.jpg

When the mating faces were decent, again off to the band saw to cut the shape.

And continued shaping.

post-6-0-46165500-1458242485_thumb.jpg

After that focus turned to the central candle holder. I had an idea and needed some lumber to fulfill my need.

The oak piece is actually the old samson post from the same boat as the other oak I've used...

post-6-0-62861000-1458242496_thumb.jpg

After some trial and horror (a couple of close calls due to the porosity of the old oak) it looks like this.

It is not yet glued in place. The square base needs some attention even though it will be hidden under sand.

post-6-0-95271500-1458242500_thumb.jpg

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Well Thank you Carl :-)

The light and the image resolution works in my favor to hide all dents, gaps and other short-comings of the build.

Next will be to fashion the square base and finally add some coating. I am thinking of matt varnish to enhance the wood structure.

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

So, the "boat" is finished. However, I wont publish any overall pics until I have the surrounding items in place.

The boat will have a dedicated table to sit on. The table will match the other items at the podium.

It also needs a small box to have the candles in. The first one I put together were far to chunky in appearance to please my eye.

The finish is a clear lacquer, matte or satin. This to protect the wood from the anticipated far too many greasy fingerprints...

The candle-ring is just some plain copper that I went over with a ball point hammer. 

Nothing on this boat is "perfect" in the meaning of alignment, appearance, finish, wood texture (for instance, see the crack on the candle holder...). Why? Well, my thought is that we, as persons, are far from "perfect". We all have our small dents, cracks, soft spots and so on. And the boat reflects all that... (Rev 21:5)

Nuf said.

post-6-0-17359900-1458634201_thumb.jpg

To be continued...

Edited by Wintergreen

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Nothing on this boat is "perfect" in the meaning of alignment, appearance, finish, wood texture (for instance, see the crack on the candle holder...). Why? Well, my thought is that we, as persons, are far from "perfect". We all have our small dents, cracks, soft spots and so on. And the boat reflects all that... (Rev 21:5)

Well 'spoken'

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

• 4 weeks later...

So, time to conclude this thread...boat and table in place finally!

It took some takes to get a close match on the color. First I had matched it as good as possible with these small samples you can get from the painters. That was far off when it came to reality. So four or five tries later I was very pleased with the result. AS you can see from the candle it has been in use a couple of weeks (they were so so eager to get it that they didnt care about the table not being ready :P  )

post-6-0-69291000-1460651855_thumb.jpg

post-6-0-44750600-1460651859_thumb.jpg

post-6-0-00317000-1460651865_thumb.jpg

post-6-0-48580900-1460651870_thumb.jpg

post-6-0-55574900-1460651874_thumb.jpg

post-6-0-79800800-1460651877_thumb.jpg

Thank you for following this small build, and thanks for all the "likes" as well.

Til next time - Ta!

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Beautiful work, Håkan.  I can see why they didn't want to wait on the table.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you mates!

Next build will be quite different...

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Thank you Carl and Patrick!

Next build? 

I will go small, clinker and 19th century Swedish west coast...

In Swedish they are called "kåg" which stems from Dutch  "kaag" and translates to English "cog". Google will give you wiki results and images.

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Jan, well the larger table was the source of inspiration for the smaller one that I made for the boat.

They also asked me to build a communion table in the same style. The large table was initially purposed for this but was made static with the water fountain at rear left corner. 

So, I will make them a table, that fits under the larger one, for them to use in the services.

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

I just saw this Hakan.......what a cool idea and concept  :)    very well thought out and constructed...the idea for the steam box will be an inspiration to anyone who has the need for one  ;)   very well done!  :)

belated congratz on becoming a grand father........I have four in total  ;)    it's really nice when they come over....all they want to see is grandpa's boats and what he's up to now!!!  :D  :D  :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• The title was changed to Sea of Galilee boat by Wintergreen - FINISHED