Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

15th Century Latin Caravel by Vivian Galad - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - Scale 1/50

• Please log in to reply
187 replies to this topic

Vivian Galad

Vivian Galad
  • Members
  • 538 posts
  • LocationSão Paulo, Brazil

Well, well. Seems I started it all wrong, but I´m trying to right the wrongs. Here are my modelling to the present day.

2013-11-07 03.38.06.jpg

2013-11-07 03.38.28.jpg

SAM_1023.JPG

SAM_1024.JPG

2013-11-20 16.45.00.jpg

2013-11-20 16.45.28.jpg

SAM_1084.JPG

SAM_1085.JPG

SAM_1088.JPG

Sorry for my lack of description, I´ll try to write it from now on.

Edited by Vivian Galad, 05 December 2013 - 04:15 PM.

• Jim Hatch, mtaylor, helmsman and 6 others like this

Don Jane

Don Jane
  • Members
  • 141 posts
  • LocationDuncan Vancouver Island Canada

Nice looking ship

• Vivian Galad likes this

Completed - HMS Bounty - Billings - 1x50http://modelshipworl...50/#entry100237

Next project - Bluenose - Billings - 1:65 - http://modelshipworl...?hl=+don +jane#

Also Underway - Gorch Fuch - OcRee - 1:95 -http://modelshipworl...?hl=+don +jane#

Vivian Galad

Vivian Galad
  • Members
  • 538 posts

Don, that´s what I see ^^. Really have this attraction to medieval ships, which aren´t much explored. Found this one and had to build it.

riverboat

riverboat
  • Members
  • 1,909 posts
  • LocationRiverside, Calif.

Very nice Vivian... good job on your planking.. and welcome to MSW!!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Doreltomin

Doreltomin
  • Members
  • 200 posts
  • LocationConstanta, Romania

Hello Vivian, 

I am glad to greet another lover of medioeval ships, and a lady too! While it is true that you ladies are not so numerous to represent this wonderful hobby of ship model building, it is certainly true with respect of quality of the job. Some of the best models I ever saw were made by female modellers. So, good luck with your build and show us how a Portuguese caravel looked five hundred years ago!

There are some wonderful portuguese sources to help you. In fact, the best books on shipbuilding of the period which we have today are portuguese. As an example, just take a quick net search for "Fabrica de naus" written by father Fernando de Oliveira back in 1580.

Also, you may do a search for a ship called "Nostra senhora dos martires" also known as "The Pepper wreck" for inspiration.  

And as a welcome gift for you, if you like medioeval ships, take a few moments to look at this wonderful movie: 

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=fZPJhEZR-Gg

Best wishes!

Edited by Doreltomin, 05 December 2013 - 05:59 PM.

• avsjerome2003 likes this

Anja

Anja

Anja

• SPECIAL CONTRIBUTOR
  • 3,394 posts
  • LocationBleiswijk, the Netherlands
Hello Vivian,

Great, you already started your build log.
Good luck with your build.

Anja
Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the shipyard: Schooner Hannah - POF Hahn style - First scratchbuild

Completed : Albatros 1840 by Constructo

Vivian Galad

Vivian Galad
  • Members
  • 538 posts

Hey, Riverboat - I got some time to learn how to really do that planking, but was in overall glad with the results. Have to sand a bit and take out some barbs before the varnishing. There I´ve got some doubts for my kit says it would go really black on the hull, which I find not so beautifull as a more wooden varnish. Any tips or information on that would be very apreciated ^^

Doretolmin, tyvm for your welcoming. I wanted to put to work the Nau São Gabriel, flagship for Vasco da Gama´s expedition through Cape Hope but found no kits, so, it´s already on my wish list for scratch building in the future, hope not too distant. I found a thesis on the importance and evolution of portuguese caravels, some 241 pages of pure knowledge, goes by THE HISTORY AND DEVELOPMENT OF CARAVELS A Thesis by GEORGE ROBERT SCHWARZ. Loved your hints too, all info on the subject is hard to come by. Looking through some barcha and borinel models (pre-caravel trading ships), now, for study. Ty for the present ^^

Anja - Yey! I found it! =D

dragzz

dragzz
  • Members
  • 679 posts
  • Locationkamloops b.c canada

very nice so far the planking looks really good rember there no need to rush it take all the time u need thats what i do  keep up the great work 

• Vivian Galad likes this

this is my dry docks

side build  hms victory/corel

http://modelshipworl...orel-scale-198/

side build waiting on parts /king of the mississippi/ al kit

http://modelshipworl...the mississipp

current build mare nostrum al kit

http://modelshipworl...y-dragzz-small/

Vivian Galad

Vivian Galad
  • Members
  • 538 posts

Dragzz, will keep that in mind!!

Nenad

Nenad

mess maker

• Members
  • 3,168 posts
  • LocationSerbia, Belgrade

Go on, I ll follow

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworl...ge-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworl...-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Vivian Galad

Vivian Galad
  • Members
  • 538 posts

Today´s work.

SAM_1090.JPG

SAM_1091.JPG

SAM_1093.JPG

SAM_1094.JPG

SAM_1095.JPG

SAM_1096.JPG

SAM_1097.JPG

SAM_1099.JPG

SAM_1100.JPG

SAM_1101.JPG

Had some problems with my deck, since I ignored the step in which I should cut off the initial frame before planking it. Now I got this ugly unmathcing woods all over. Modified a bit of the original plan, since it can´t be followed due to an error, still don´t know if a print error or cutting, or even a plan error regarding the manufacturer. Some minor problems on the sterncastle too, as the piece in the kit weren´t fitted to fill all the gap, so, had to improvise.

Edited by Vivian Galad, 06 December 2013 - 09:28 PM.

• riverboat, mtaylor, avsjerome2003 and 4 others like this

riverboat

riverboat
  • Members
  • 1,909 posts
  • LocationRiverside, Calif.

look'n good Vivian

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

src

src

Captain Chaos

• Members
  • 1,846 posts

Vivian,

Looks good! Where are the mismatched pieces of wood you are talking about?

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Ship Modeling

Noun

a long-term mental disorder involving a breakdown in the relation between thought, emotion, and behavior, leading to faulty perception, inappropriate actions and feelings and a masochistic need to obsessively rebuild items regardless of the naked eyes ability to see the difference.

Vivian Galad

Vivian Galad
  • Members
  • 538 posts

Frank, ty!

Sam, on the deck planking. I should have ripped off the framing, which where there only for the hull planking - I left it there and took it out after I had finished the deck. U can see it on the 6th picture, next to the rail. Since I don´t want to make a second layer, I´m still thinking how to fix it. I´m learning though, and the forum is helping a lot. Ppls´ logs are very helpful, almost a tutorial. ^^

src

src

Captain Chaos

• Members
  • 1,846 posts

Vivian,

Thats frustrating, but its how we learn - well at least it how I learn... sort of, I usually have to make the same mistake 2 or 3 times first  :huh: 

I have a similar problem with my build IE; holes in the decking, perhaps you can employ some of the same fixes I am planing - ropes, buckets mops?

There is a thread here in the decking forum that may help.

http://modelshipworl...-brick-a-brack/

Shes looking good though, you will work through it

And yes there are some great build/tutorials here.

Sam

Ship Modeling

Noun

a long-term mental disorder involving a breakdown in the relation between thought, emotion, and behavior, leading to faulty perception, inappropriate actions and feelings and a masochistic need to obsessively rebuild items regardless of the naked eyes ability to see the difference.

Vivian Galad

Vivian Galad
  • Members
  • 538 posts

Sam, many thanks. I thought to put some barrels, but now I have far more things to cover them mistakes. Sometimes we think about the crude view of the boat and forget about it´s life! Ropes, barrels, cannon balls, people - all of them give life to our models. Rlly happy I found the forum.

src

src

Captain Chaos

• Members
  • 1,846 posts

Vivian,

Glad I could help out. I have received so much help from people I have never met and most likely never will, its amazing. My humble little build is so much more than it would be with out the input from people at MSW yours will too I bet. MSW is really a great place, it was initially a resource for me, but its become much much more. 

Sam

• mtaylor likes this

Ship Modeling

Noun

Vivian Galad

Vivian Galad
  • Members
  • 538 posts

As of today. I´ve got some minor work to do before putting it to varnish, but hope to get there till next weekend.

Noob error - did not put much thought about the deck and when was planking, let it go the full lenght. Now I see I should have cutted them so my planking would not look like a fake one. Thinking on put some lines and dots on that, before varnishing - don´t know how it will look like after that, but...

SAM_1112.JPG

SAM_1115.JPG

SAM_1116.JPG

Think I´ll be more careful next time with bringing the planks together. Got this minor gap to fill, now.

SAM_1117.JPG

SAM_1118.JPG

SAM_1120.JPG

SAM_1122.JPG

Well. That´s it. Would love to have some critics on what I´ve done so far. When I look to this hull I get very proud of it, but I´m not so naive that I can´t get some directions from more experienced builders. ^^

Edited by Vivian Galad, 09 December 2013 - 06:23 AM.

• riverboat, mtaylor, Salty Sea Dog and 6 others like this

ZyXuz

ZyXuz
  • Members
  • 481 posts
  • LocationPenang, Malaysia

she's clean n neat! 

well done! :)

• WackoWolf and Vivian Galad like this

Visit My Blog! 

http://malaysiamodelship.blogspot.com/

Previous Build:

The Black Pearl (ZHL)

HMS Race Horse (Sergal)

Current Build:

HMS Unicorn (Corel)

Vivian Galad

Vivian Galad
  • Members
  • 538 posts

ZyXuz, thanks ^^. Saw your work on the Race Horse and, wow! Loved all through and now will look at the cabin with new eyes - Mine are just there, hidden and empty...

• ZyXuz likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.